The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic! - Page 545 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
post #16321 of 16325 Old 02-04-2015, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
I had a problem a few weeks ago with the 91XG in my installation. During a heavy rainstorm, water infiltrated the balun enclosure and my weakest stations stopped working. Water also wicked from the F connector on the bottom of the balun enclosure into my coax.

Antennas Direct has a modification to drill two small 1/16" weep holes in the underside of the case to allow any water infiltration to drain out. You might want to check your balun to see if it has the weep holes. Also, the water infiltrates the balun enclosure through the screw that attaches the balun to the boom. You can resolve that issue by sealing the area using RTV silicone sealant. Do not use regular silicone sealant from the home supply store as it contains acetic acid which can cause corrosion. I found RTV sealant made by Permatex at my local auto parts store.
Appreciate the heads up! I'll do that... easy enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16322 of 16325 Old 02-04-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Why isn't anyone offering outdoor antennas painted sky blue (or sky gray depending on where you live, or some combination pattern)?

There's certainly paints that can safely be used. And it'd make it a lot more difficult to see as a "big ugly antenna" if there was a little color/camouflage to it.

As close as you are, though, Brett, the Winegard SquareShooter probably would be ideal... and it's a compact 16"x16".
About the ONLY "PRO" for the SquareShooter is it kinda looks like a square (16"x16") Dish..."CON" is the very low Gain on either UHF or Hi-VHF....and it couldn't even beat the "Batwing" CM-3010 StealthTenna:
https://www.bluevalleytech.com/techt...vs-rca-ant-806
Note that Virtual 6.1 was only Hi-VHF Ch13.

SS-1000 was WAY BOTTOM of the HEAP in Bob Chase's (Houston Station Engineer) Comparison Tests:
The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic!

There ARE some GOOD alternatives, such as A-D Lacrosse, UHF Gain = 7 to 10.5 dBi and Hi-VHF Gain = 5 to 6 dBi, a full-size (20"x14") 2-Bay Bowtie in a Square Paintable Enclosure, unfortunately discontinued quite some time ago, but you might find one used:
https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...structions.pdf

Channel Master Outdoor CM-3000HD Flat Panel Antenna Specs claim Hi-VHF Gain = 5 dB (i or d???) and UHF Gain = 8 dB (i or d???) which would make it roughly equal to Lacrosse or full-size M2 (9.5x9.0) 2-Bay designed for NEW UHF Band.
http://www.channelmasterstore.com/SM.../cm-3000hd.htm
I haven't seen any OTA Comparison Tests......yet.....

RCA ANT-800F Outdoor Flat Panel is about as low-viz as anyone could ever want (unfortunately, RCA & most other mfrs don't think customers NEED any Specs):
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/ANT800_Manual.pdf
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT800F-Di.../dp/B001VYTCDK
http://www.walmart.com/ip/10983722?w...148072&veh=sem

Note that ANT-800 or ANT-800F (different mount?) is a bit LARGER (15"x14") than the ANT-1650 (14"x11"), the largest of the INDOOR Flat panels...hence it "should" provide a bit better Hi-VHF (and maybe also UHF) performance. Note that RCA 1650 outperformed other similar Indoor Antennas when tested by Consumer Reports in an Urban Location, see Post #15 :
I'm still using rabbits ear antenna for my HDTV, need better stronger Antenna signal

Antennacraft 1000 is also very low-viz (20-in Diameter) and Paintable with UHF Gain = 8.6 dBi, but miserable in Hi-VHF Band (just like SS-1000)...but it just might be enough if your signals are strong enough. Also available thru Radio-Shack:
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/HDX1000_Specs.pdf

Or hide a REAL Outdoor Antenna behind a Fibreglass, Vinyl PVC or Wood Panel/Trellis.....or build or buy a BOX on the I-N that is the right size to enclose the chosen Antenna, e.g. 4-Bay or even 8-Bay Bowtie.

Last edited by holl_ands; 02-04-2015 at 02:22 PM.
post #16323 of 16325 Old 02-05-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Sorry to hear Radioshack has filed for bankruptcy and may be closing. Always a good source for antennas and electronic accessories. Including Antennacraft products. But when they dropped basic individual rabbit ears and the UHF bowtie a year or so ago, I knew things were not good. Because switching to cell phone and computer products would not effectively compete with Best Buy and Amazon. Sad to hear this news, but maybe some stores will be able to remain open. But I would think the high rent mall stores will likely close.
post #16324 of 16325 Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Sorry to hear Radioshack has filed for bankruptcy and may be closing. Always a good source for antennas and electronic accessories. Including Antennacraft products. But when they dropped basic individual rabbit ears and the UHF bowtie a year or so ago, I knew things were not good. Because switching to cell phone and computer products would not effectively compete with Best Buy and Amazon. Sad to hear this news, but maybe some stores will be able to remain open. But I would think the high rent mall stores will likely close.
The store in the mall here is closing. I wish I had known sooner, because when I went, the good stuff was all gone. Major discounted prices too.
post #16325 of 16325 Unread Today, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm pretty sure I've discovered my problem with the "blipping" or dropouts. I went up on the roof the other day to replace all my crimped F connectors with compression connects. When I got to the coax on the ANT, I found that the lead going into the combined input of my RCA preamp was loose. Actually, I guess I may have over-tightened it during the initial installation. The input on the preamp is actually loose inside the preamp. I had the wife on the phone and started to ever so slightly wiggle that connection and she immediately said the TV was acting up. I guess I'm going to order a new preamp and also take apart the current one to see if a solder joint is broken or what not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page