The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic! - Page 547 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2015, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Any DLNA device (small receiver - in your words) hooked to your tv sets will work with them. It doesn't have to be a pc. My old WDTVLIVE unit from 6 years ago works, I think even a Roku would work, and be useful for other web stuff besides that.

Last edited by Primestar31; 08-23-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Powerline adapters might work but wireless won't. I have two of them and they work very well. The three tuner "Prime" model is cable only and does not work with an antenna. The two tuner "Connect" and "Extend" models do work with an antenna.
One think to consider is the heat in the attic. Thus a longer antenna coax to a lower place where power is available.

I have an old cheap wireless router that hooking up a spare HDHR was possible a plan at one time but I gave it away to a friend. All four of my HDHR tuners are available to two desktop and two laptop computers. For even CBS with 1080 only one stream signal worked with the old 54MHz router, so do not over buy.

I got a connection 100+ feet away in the clubhouse when the HOA system password just would not work. I did not think about trying a HDHR tuner.

SHF
Old 08-23-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2530 View Post
The neighborhood was started in 2001, and is getting close to fifteen years old.

The neighborhood still looks neat, clean, bright and shiny new.

Mine looks sterile and not lived in and it was started in 1968. Shade trees, they just do not get it, of 234 units one has trees, mine.

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2165469

SHF
Old 08-24-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have both an antenna and a HDHomerun, and both have their place. But I'd say don't make it needlessly complicated. Get a decent attic antenna to coax to your TV or receiver. If you really feel running a cable is too much for you, hire a guy. You probably won't spend much more for that than you would to buy most of the devices mentioned so far, and it's far less troublesome to use for basic OTA viewing at your TVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2530 View Post
I see a "gotcha."

I was wondering how the signal got to the TV from the antenna/HDHR box in the attic. When you mentioned Ethernet, it all became clear. It needs an HDPC to work. This is OK, I have one now next to the family-room's TV with a Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner TV card in it.

I wrongly assumed there was a small receiver I could attach only to the TV, or to each of the three TVs.

It will work on TVs without PCs if the receiving TVs are "Smart TVs" which none of ours are.

Since Ethernet is already installed in every room, and Wi-Fi is also on, this HDHR helps. It will work. But I'll pass since I don't want to have a PC on in each place to watch TV in the family room and the two bedrooms.

Thanks again.

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd
Gear in this thread