The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic! - Page 553 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #16561 of 16584 Old 12-26-2016, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doesn't look like the same antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram1 View Post
Did a quick install the RCA ANT751R today instantly scanned in 81 channels nice
After cleaning up the channels deleting blank dead foreign shopping and religious channels I'm left with 50 solid channels
I didn't even attempt to install really high up on top of the roof just went as high as a could with the ladder I had available
Wondering if there would be any real benefit going higher or grabbing the CM4228HD instead
I'm not seeing any break up on the channels there coming in solid

I don't mind spending the extra $$ a pro higher install or on the CM4228HD just wondering what will it buy me in my area ??
kram1-

That antenna you've mounted on the fascia doesn't look like the RCA ANT751R I have, or the ones in the pics provided by rabbit73. I also saw the two different boxes at Walmart a few days ago, and was wondering what the differences were.

I purchased my ANT751R several months ago, and it was the longer/skinnier box. It's made by Winegard as the EZ HD for Denny's Antenna Service, and also for RCA as the ANT751R. Winegard sells a slightly different version of the same antenna, called the HD7000R, with optional add-on dipole extensions for VHF-Low, and the mast mount is between the VHF dipoles, rather than at the end of the boom, as in the pics of the EZ HD and ANT751R. Winegard also recently removed one of the UHF reflector/VHF directors in the recently updated version, so now there's only one, rather than two, like in rabbit73's pics.

After seeing the shorter/fatter box several days ago, I noticed the label said ANT7511 ES, and the one right next to it--the longer/skinnier one, and the one like I purchased--still said ANT751R. Noticing that the pictures on the box were the exact same antenna, I just assumed Winegard (for RCA) separated the boom into two sections, with one end tapered to fit into the other end, to accommodate for vendor stocking requirements.

However, after seeing your pic of the antenna on your fascia, it looks like a completely different antenna. It appears to have 3 quarter wave UHF directors followed by a half wave dipole for the UHF driven element, rather than the 2 quarter wave directors, followed by a half wave dipole director, followed by a tetrapole for the UHF driven element. It also appears your antenna has only one UHF reflector/VHF director, rather than two, and that your mast mounts between the VHF-Hi dipoles, rather than at the end of the boom.

So, I don't know what your antenna actually is, as the pic is a bit hard to see, or who it is made by, but it doesn't look like the ones made by Winegard.

It is possible that it is made by Winegard with newly-modified specs from RCA, and it is possible that it is made by another company. For example, I had also purchased one of RCA's other antennas, and found out (after the purchase) that the pictures ON the box were not the same as the antenna IN the box. The outside showed a Channel Master-made antenna, but what was inside was a Winegard-made antenna.

So, while the pics on both of these boxes--the ANT751R & ANT7511 ES--might look the same, the sizes of the boxes may definitely be indicative of not only a restructure of the same antenna for shipping/stocking purposes, but actually a different antenna altogether.

If possible, I'd like to see a more detailed pic of your antenna.

-mcnally

Last edited by mcnally; 12-26-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16562 of 16584 Old 12-26-2016, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Heres the link to the one I got
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Subur...-Mast/10828410

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnally View Post
kram1-

That antenna you've mounted on the fascia doesn't look like the RCA ANT751R I have, or the ones in the pics provided by rabbit73. I also saw the two different boxes at Walmart a few days ago, and was wondering what the differences were.

I purchased my ANT751R several months ago, and it was the longer/skinnier box. It's made by Winegard as the EZ HD for Denny's Antenna Service, and also for RCA as the ANT751R. Winegard sells a slightly different version of the same antenna, called the HD7000R, with optional add-on dipole extensions for VHF-Low, and the mast mount is between the VHF dipoles, rather than at the end of the boom, as in the pics of the EZ HD and ANT751R. Winegard also recently removed one of the UHF reflector/VHF directors in the recently updated version, so now there's only one, rather than two, like in rabbit73's pics.

After seeing the shorter/fatter box several days ago, I noticed the label said ANT7511 ES, and the one right next to it--the longer/skinnier one, and the one like I purchased--still said ANT751R. Noticing that the pictures on the box were the exact same antenna, I just assumed Winegard (for RCA) separated the boom into two sections, with one end tapered to fit into the other end, to accommodate for vendor stocking requirements.

However, after seeing your pic of the antenna on your fascia, it looks like a completely different antenna. It appears to have 3 quarter wave UHF directors followed by a half wave dipole for the UHF driven element, rather than the 2 quarter wave directors, followed by a half wave dipole director, followed by a tetrapole for the UHF driven element. It also appears your antenna has only one UHF reflector/VHF director, rather than two, and that your mast mounts between the VHF-Hi dipoles, rather than at the end of the boom.

So, I don't know what your antenna actually is, as the pic is a bit hard to see, or who it is made by, but it doesn't look like the ones made by Winegard.

It is possible that it is made by Winegard with newly-modified specs from RCA, and it is possible that it is made by another company. For example, I had also purchased one of RCA's other antennas, and found out (after the purchase) that the pictures ON the box were not the same as the antenna IN the box. The outside showed a Channel Master-made antenna, but what was inside was a Winegard-made antenna.

So, while the pics on both of these boxes--the ANT751R & ANT7511 ES--might look the same, the sizes of the boxes may definitely be indicative of not only a restructure of the same antenna for shipping/stocking purposes, but actually a different antenna altogether.

If possible, I'd like to see a more detailed pic of your antenna.

-mcnally
post #16563 of 16584 Old 12-27-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Did a quick install the RCA ANT751R today instantly scanned in 81 channels nice
After cleaning up the channels deleting blank dead foreign shopping and religious channels I'm left with 50 solid channels
I didn't even attempt to install really high up on top of the roof just went as high as a could with the ladder I had available
Wondering if there would be any real benefit going higher or grabbing the CM4228HD instead
I'm not seeing any break up on the channels there coming in solid

I don't mind spending the extra $$ a pro higher install or on the CM4228HD just wondering what will it buy me in my area ??
kram1-

I tend to get a bit lengthy, and lose my point.

The pic of the Walmart antenna from your link, AND the pics of the two antennas that rabbit73 attached (one from an RCA trade show display, the other from Lowe's), are all of the EXACT same antenna...

My point, is that the pic YOU provided, of the antenna mounted on your eave fascia, does NOT look like any of those antennas. Maybe that's because the pic was a low-light pic, and it's an optical illusion, maybe not. They seem pretty close in size, but it seems to be a different antenna, with some components removed and others added or replaced.

Is it possible to shoot a higher resolution (or daylight) picture of the antenna you mounted on your eave fascia? I would appreciate it.

-mcnally

post #16564 of 16584 Old 12-27-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hows that ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161227_131519.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	1855881  
post #16565 of 16584 Old 12-27-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 179
It's definitely NOT ANT-751, with one fewer Hi-VHF Element, a different Active Element and an additional UHF Director.....but the construction "style" appears similar, so MIGHT be from same manufacturer [which is frequently NOT necessarily the Brand Name it is sold under].

FYI: RCA ANT-7511 depicted in Lowe's ad looks just like ANT-751R:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/RCA-Outdoor-Digital-HDTV-VHF-UHF-Yagi-Type-Antenna/1000108007?cm_mmc=SCE_ShoppingFeed-_-RoughPlumbingElectrical-_-HomeAutomationAndMultmedia-_-1000108007:RCA&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000108007&SID=11454 46618837&CA_6C15C=320011480007446258

ANT-7511 ES is NOT found on RCA Website, but note that they have updated ANT-751R to "Z" part number, with NO visible changes: ANT-751Z:
http://www.rcaantennas.net/outdoor/?sku=ANT751Z

Last edited by holl_ands; 12-27-2016 at 02:52 PM.
post #16566 of 16584 Old 12-27-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

SOME INEXPENSIVE, COMPACT Hi-VHF/UHF COMBO ANTENNAS FOR OUTDOOR USE: [Incomplete List]
ALL Equal or Better than typical FLAT Antenna for UHF and significantly Better than Dipole for Hi-VHF.

Listed in order of INCREASING number of UHF Elements....and DECREASING number of Hi-VHF Elements:

1) RCA-751R/Z/EZHD: 8 ELEMENTS: 2 Hi-VHF plus 1 UHF Dipole LPDA Section, 2 Hi-VHF Directors, 3 UHF Directors
http://photos.imageevent.com/holl_an...20ANT751_1.JPG

2) RCA-7511 ES: 7 ELEMENTS: 2 Hi-VHF plus 1 UHF Dipole LPDA Section, 1 Hi-VHF Director, 3 UHF Directors
The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic!

3) 1forOne 45-MILE: 7 ELEMENTS: 1 Hi-VHF Reflector, 1 Hi-VHF plus 1 UHF Dipole LPDA Section, 4 UHF Directors
http://photos.imageevent.com/holl_an...20ANT751_1.JPG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KYKYLZQ?ref=emc_b_5_t [Impossibly jumps to 60-mi with addition of ROTATOR....but NO AMP]

4) C-M CM3010HD Stealtenna 50: 6 ELEMENTS: 1 Hi-VHF plus 1 Hi-VHF Dipole Dual-Drive Section [NO Crossover], 4 UHF Directors
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...tealthtenna+50
http://www.channelmaster.com/STEALTH.../cm-3010hd.htm

5 TIE) Stellar Labs 30-2485: 9 ELEMENTS: 1 Hi-VHF Reflector, 1 Hi-VHF plus 1 UHF Dipole LPDA Section, 6 UHF Directors
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2485-/30-2485

5 TIE) Mediasonic HOMEWORX: 9 ELEMENTS: 1 Hi-VHF Reflector, 1 Hi-VHF plus 1 UHF Dipole LPDA Section, 6 UHF Directors
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C1YL16Y..._t1_B01M5GGEVO
https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-VT-27U...1byone+antenna [ViewTV Bundles an External Amplifier]

Last edited by holl_ands; 12-27-2016 at 02:55 PM.
post #16567 of 16584 Old 12-28-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Hows that ?
kram1-

Perfect. Thank you.

As holl_ands said, it's most definitely not the ANT751R, but it IS made by Winegard (who makes the ANT751R).

As I stated earlier, Winegard makes and markets the HD7000R, which is very similar to the antenna Denny's Antenna Service has made for them by Winegard, called the EZ HD. According to Denny's Antenna Service, they developed the specs for the EZ HD, and allowed RCA to re-brand the EZ HD and sell it as the ANT751R.

I'm assuming RCA was either no longer allowed to sell the Denny's EZ HD as the ANT751R, or they themselves decided to develop their own antenna. Regardless, it is a newly designed antenna, and while the pictures RCA has on their ANT7511 ES box are still showing the ANT751R/EZ HD, it is a different antenna, and I'm completely confident it's made by Winegard for RCA.

Now, we just need someone to model it and compare it to the ANT751R/EZ HD...

-mcnally
post #16568 of 16584 Old 12-28-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

IF you provide detailed Measurements and multiple PHOTOS (incl. a RULER in the Photo), then I can TRY to model ANT-7511 ES (or most any other Antenna of interest). But I haven't published 4nec2 Results for ANT-751 because Log-Yagi's (ditto YA-1713) do NOT model very well on the upper frequencies wrt Gain and SWR for ANT-751 was "off"....I suspect I need pricey NEC4 Engine to model the Cross-Over Feedlines and hopefully eliminate these shortcomings.

UHF portion of ANT-751 and ANT-7611 ES are SLIGHTLY different...but not by much and SAME number of UHF Elements....so, probably about the same UHF Gain....as given in Spec Sheet for HD-7000, from which the UHF part of ANT-751 was derived:
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/HD7000R.pdf

My simplified 4nec2 model for the ANT-751R/EZHD calculated 6.3 dBi (Minimum at band edges) to 7.5 dBi (Max Mid-Band) Hi-VHF Gain. When I removed the most forward Hi-VHF Director to emulate the ANT-7511 (although without SAME Element Spacings) it is reduced to 5.6 dBi (Minimum at band edges) to 7.0 dBi (Max Mid-Band). So only 0.5 to 0.7 dB reduction in Hi-VHF Gain.

FYI: Slightly higher Hi-VHF Gain numbers (esp. on upper Channels) were found when I OPTIMIZED 3 and 4-Element Hi-VHF Yagi's [which tend to provide more Gain than Log-Yagi's, esp. on higher frequencies], using Folded-Dipole Active Elements designed for Hi-VHF Band....rather than going THROUGH the UHF Folded Dipole Active Element, as done in the ANT-751 Log-Yagi [UHF Dipole and TWO Hi-VHF Active Elements form a 3-Element LPDA structure]...which is clearly causing some minor degradation, esp. on Ch12/13:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/yagis/hivhf3elfdyagiopt
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/yagis/hivhf4elfdyagiopt

Last edited by holl_ands; 12-28-2016 at 01:59 PM.
post #16569 of 16584 Old 01-12-2017, 02:28 PM

UHF measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
IF you provide detailed Measurements and multiple PHOTOS (incl. a RULER in the Photo), then I can TRY to model ANT-7511 ES (or most any other Antenna of interest).
This is not of an ANT-7511, but of an RCA ANT-3036WR I had already purchased, made for them by Winegard. It has the same simple stick dipole, and the same wire used as a shorting stub-type configuration. I'm assuming the VHF portion is unchanged from the ANT-751R, with the exception of the missing VHF director, and the manner with which the VHF dipole is connected to the UHF portion:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	1891561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0959.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1891569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1891577  

Last edited by mcnally; 01-12-2017 at 03:28 PM.
post #16570 of 16584 Old 01-12-2017, 02:43 PM

Here are the UHF dimensions:

The UHF dipole, end-to-end, is 14-3/16";
Each leg of the UHF dipole is 6-1/2";
UHF dipole is 1" wide;
Distance from UHF dipole to closest UHF director (director A) is 1-3/8", center-to-center;
Distance from director A to next director (director B) is 3", center-to-center;
Distance from director B to next director (director C) is 4-15/16", center-to-center;
Each director is 1" wide, 6-1/8" long;
Dipole to shorting stub plastic bracket is 4-1/16", center-to-center;
Shorting stub plastic bracket to end of shorting stub wire is 4-3/16"

(The UHF directors on this antenna appear to be spaced differently than that of the ANT-7511 pic that kram1 provided)

The manner with which this antenna uses a UHF stick dipole, and a wire shorting stub with plastic dipole-less mounting bracket looks identical to the ANT-7511. Disregard all the extra holes on my antenna, and the screws and nuts in place of factory rivets, as I have been experimenting for quite some time with different configurations (as you can see, I've removed the corner reflectors for these photos). All components are in their original places from the factory. If there's any clarification of dimensions, let me know, and I hope this helps.

Last edited by mcnally; 01-12-2017 at 03:36 PM.
post #16571 of 16584 Old 01-30-2017, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello, I'm looking for some assistance from the experts as this is my first venture into OTA land.
Here is my tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4d63464781e

I picked up a ClearStream 4v antenna and mounted it up in my attic (I have a very steep roof!). The antenna is up at the highest point in the highest peak of my attic and facing straight out the front (plywood, vinyl siding) at about 32-33 degrees in order to pick up the NY stations just under 50 miles away. My goal is to pick up just 4 basic networks ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. With my setup I was able to pick up strong signals for WCBS 33 and WNBC 28 (and about 20 other channels) but no trace of WNYW 44 or WABC 7.
I then added a Winegard LNA-200 and my signals for 33 and 28 were even better and I picked up an extra 30+ channels of varying strength but still no trace of WNYW or WABC.
As an experiment I ventured onto my roof (freaking out my wife) and held the antenna at the highest point I possibly could (probably around 4 feet under where it was in the attic), pointed it in the same direction at 32-33 degrees and had my wife run a scan inside. Still could not pick up the WNYW or WABC signals.
At this point Im thinking I need to try a better antenna with stronger VHF high and UHF gains, but not sure which one to go with. I want to stick with my attic mount as I think it would be sufficient and didn't see much advantage over outside. That and I don't want to die trying to mount it. Any suggestions?
post #16572 of 16584 Old 01-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post
Hello, I'm looking for some assistance from the experts as this is my first venture into OTA land.
Here is my tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4d63464781e

I picked up a ClearStream 4v antenna and mounted it up in my attic (I have a very steep roof!). The antenna is up at the highest point in the highest peak of my attic and facing straight out the front (plywood, vinyl siding) at about 32-33 degrees in order to pick up the NY stations just under 50 miles away. My goal is to pick up just 4 basic networks ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. With my setup I was able to pick up strong signals for WCBS 33 and WNBC 28 (and about 20 other channels) but no trace of WNYW 44 or WABC 7.
I then added a Winegard LNA-200 and my signals for 33 and 28 were even better and I picked up an extra 30+ channels of varying strength but still no trace of WNYW or WABC.
As an experiment I ventured onto my roof (freaking out my wife) and held the antenna at the highest point I possibly could (probably around 4 feet under where it was in the attic), pointed it in the same direction at 32-33 degrees and had my wife run a scan inside. Still could not pick up the WNYW or WABC signals.
At this point Im thinking I need to try a better antenna with stronger VHF high and UHF gains, but not sure which one to go with. I want to stick with my attic mount as I think it would be sufficient and didn't see much advantage over outside. That and I don't want to die trying to mount it. Any suggestions?
It's best to keep all the responses in one place, so I'm going to link to your other thread for anyone who wishes to pitch in:

Jackson, NJ: Antenna assistance requested
Tag66 likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #16573 of 16584 Old 01-30-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Let's stick with the other thread; it already has some answers.
Jackson, NJ: Antenna assistance requested
Tag66 likes this.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #16574 of 16584 Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 AM

Quick bit of help since I'm new to this.

I put up a Clearstream 2V in my attic (30 miles away from the broadcasts) and it is picking up everything great except my pixelated ABC affiliate. There is a 40 ft run of cable from my attic to basement, where I hooked it all into what my cable was using to distribute through the house which is a Commscope CSAPDU5VPI amplifier.

I know this is used for broadband typically however. Would adding an additional amplifier help get that last station over the top? If so, do I put it by the antenna or before it goes into the other amplifier? Or is it better to remove it from that distribution amp and go with a different one that allows for splitting the signal?
post #16575 of 16584 Old 02-02-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You should probably go and read all of the stickies at the top of this page. Especially this one: NOTE: Put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL antenna threads & TVFOOL info in 1st post
In order to answer your question we need to know where you are and the quality of signals at your location. Which is why we ned a link to your TVFool report.
Also when referring to stations it really helps to provide the station's call letters because most of are not from your area.
John
post #16576 of 16584 Old 02-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post
You should probably go and read all of the stickies at the top of this page. Especially this one: NOTE: Put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL antenna threads & TVFOOL info in 1st post
In order to answer your question we need to know where you are and the quality of signals at your location. Which is why we ned a link to your TVFool report.
Also when referring to stations it really helps to provide the station's call letters because most of are not from your area.
John
My apologies! I'm in Grayson, GA and here is a link to the report. I'm referring to WSB

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a435bad08240
post #16577 of 16584 Old 02-02-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

WSB is unusual in that it transmits on three different channels. Your strongest one is on physical channel 31 but it is in the opposite direction of most of your other networks. What TV model or models are you using? Can you figure which of the WSB transmitters are you receiving?
John
post #16578 of 16584 Old 02-02-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
WSB is unusual in that it transmits on three different channels. Your strongest one is on physical channel 31 but it is in the opposite direction of most of your other networks. What TV model or models are you using? Can you figure which of the WSB transmitters are you receiving?
John
I'm splitting the signal between 4 different TVs. Two Toshiba, an LG, and a Sharp Aquous. I don't remember the models however.

My antenna is facing west and it tuned to WSB via channel 2.1. I don't know if it picked up the other because I was expecting it on the channel I was looking at.
post #16579 of 16584 Old 02-02-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The three physical channels that WSB uses are 31,46, and 39. Remapping being what it is all three may show as 2.1 on your TVs. On many TVs if you type in the physical channel of a mapped channel it will show the digital channel on that channel. Try typing each of the three physical channel numbers on the TVs and see if WSB appears on one or more of them.
John
post #16580 of 16584 Old 02-02-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To get back to your original question amplifiers work best if the cable connecting them to the antenna is as short as possible. The specified noise figure on your amp is 10 dB which is pretty high. A better approach to try would be a 20 dB gain preamp at the antenna with a passive splitter for signal distribution.
John
nukequazar likes this.
post #16581 of 16584 Old 02-02-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The three physical channels that WSB uses are 31,46, and 39. Remapping being what it is all three may show as 2.1 on your TVs. On many TVs if you type in the physical channel of a mapped channel it will show the digital channel on that channel. Try typing each of the three physical channel numbers on the TVs and see if WSB appears on one or more of them.
John
Ok, I'll try and see. If that doesn't work, do you have a different solution that I can try? WSB is crucial to the boss lady approving the cord cutting.
post #16582 of 16584 Old 02-02-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You could try moving the antenna and see if you can find a better spot.
Or get a second 2 or 4 bay antenna aimed at physical channel 31 (east) and combine it with a channel inserter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selective-co...MAAOSwA3dYLDCr
John
post #16583 of 16584 Old 02-02-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 159
ctdish is correct, you have 3 WSB transmitters:

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...h&callsign=wsb

real (physical) channel 31, NM 38.3 dB, 85 deg true
real channel 46, NM 28.5 dB, 20 deg
real channel 39, NM 28.4 dB, 246 deg

If your antenna is aimed WSW for most of your wanted channels, it should pick up 39, but it is one of your weaker signals. I agree with ctdish, a preamp at the antenna might help because the signal loss in the attic is difficult to predict.

I agree that trying a different location on the attic might help.

Have you tried aiming your antenna at 90 deg magnetic for 31?

WSB on real channel 31 has co-channel interference from ION on the same channel. WSB needs to be at least 16 dB stronger than ION for reception, which it is if your report is accurate.

I would try the preamp for ABC on 39 first.

Your Toshiba should have a signal meter that gives the real (physical) channel.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ToshibaSigMtrAdv.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1940233   Click image for larger version

Name:	ToshibaSigMtrBasic.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1940241  

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #16584 of 16584 Old 02-03-2017, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To get back to your original question amplifiers work best if the cable connecting them to the antenna is as short as possible. The specified noise figure on your amp is 10 dB which is pretty high. A better approach to try would be a 20 dB gain preamp at the antenna with a passive splitter for signal distribution.
John
Commscope Drop Amp Spec says "Gain, Video Port" is 0.0 dB, so Amp Gain presumably equals 4-Way RF Splitter Loss (typ. 7.5 dB). I think that they simply added the RF Splitter Loss to a typical Amp NF of 2.5 db and ERRONEOUSLY came up with a Spec Value of "Noise Figure, Maximum = 10 dB"....a LOT higher than any other Cable Distro Amp on the market [there are actually minimum performance specs for Cable System Components].

A meaningful specification would have stipulated the Amplifier Gain (presumably 7.5 dB), the Amplifier Noise Figure (presumably NF=2.5 dB) and 4-Way RF Splitter Loss (typ. 7.5 dB). The GAIN in the Amplifier would REDUCE the Effect of the RF Splitter Loss...as well as Coax Loss to Tuner...and Tuner NF by the amount of (Scalar) Gain in the Amplifier....so the TOTAL SYSTEM NF would be in the BallPark of 3-5 dB, depending on actual Cable Losses:
http://www.commscope.com/catalog/bro...s.aspx?id=2817

So I doubt that upgrading Comspec Drop Amp would make much difference......

================================================== ===========
A-D C2 is a fairly LOW GAIN UHF Antenna, with UHF Gain of only 9.7-10.1 dBi [about a dB below Bottom of following Chart]:
https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...-sellsheet.pdf

Upgrading to any of several 4-Bay Antennas (incl. inexpensive Solid Signal HDB-4X) should increase UHF Gain by about 2 to 4 dB, increasing with Frequency:

Last edited by holl_ands; 02-03-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd
Gear in this thread