The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic! - Page 555 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes
post #16621 of 16627 Unread Yesterday, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Your tvfool report for reference because we are on a new page:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a42a129acd72
Image of report in attachment for use when the tvfool website is down.

Quote:
We used to get KFPX-DT, WOI-DT, KCWI-DT, KCCI-DT, WHO-DT, KDIN-DT, KDSM-DT & MAYBE a couple others if the time of day was right.
KFPX ION 39, with a NM of -7.8 dB is good catch. It is a 2Edge signal with terrain interference and only 22 kW out of 116 kW ERP is sent your way because of its directional transmitting antenna.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ALLTV%26n%3d13

Quote:
See attached. I'd LIKE to get the ones I've highlighted in green and blue. FOR SURE the ones I've highlighted in green

K41DD very weak and in a different direction. Only 0.049 kW out of 13.3 kW ERP is sent in your direction because of the directional transmitting antenna. That's 49 Watts. You must want it for HSN. That might require a separate antenna, custom filter, and special preamp. If you can receive KFPX ION, it has HSN as a subchannel.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ALLTV%26n%3d12

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...&callsign=kfpx

KDMI easy
KDSM easy
KCWI easy
KCCI easy with VHF-High antenna
WHO easy with VHF-High antenna
KDIN easy with VHF-High antenna
WOI 5 easy with VHF-low antenna

WOI 50 weak and in a different direction; you want to deal with the problems of a rotator?
WBXF weak and in a different direction
KAJR very weak
KCYM extremely weak
KFPX very weak as mentioned above, but I guess you want ION
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rmormanAVSchlist.png
Views:	82
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	2041377   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmormanAVSreport.png
Views:	9
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	2041473  

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; Yesterday at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16622 of 16627 Unread Yesterday, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
I didn't know if the age of the unit mattered. Also, it is missing one or two "arms."
It would be OK for a test because it covers all three TV bands, but the missing elements probably reduce its performance. It should be replaced.
Quote:
The unit will be back on the roof. Only do well with UHF? I was under the impression that the ULTRAtenna 60 was where most of my problems were coming from IF the difference were the directional ant vs the one that isn't designed to pick up ABC?
If you make a test using the ULTRAtenna and new coax, you should expect it to do well for UHF channels, only fair for VHF-High (7-13) channels, and poorly for VHF-Low channels (2-6).

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #16623 of 16627 Unread Today, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
WOI 50 weak and in a different direction; you want to deal with the problems of a rotator?
A low-VHF antenna makes catching the UHF50 translator irrelevant. Besides, that translator WILL disappear with the repack, probably relocated to a different channel, perhaps gone completely.

When it comes to ION, I'm curious to see if they will remain as broadcasters after the auction or if they decided to sell out. A quick survey of the NAB's repack site doesn't turn up any of their stations as relocating, so either they simply didn't respond to the voluntary survey or they sold out. I'd suggest waiting until the official results are known before expending any additional effort in receiving their signal.

Last edited by ProjectSHO89; Today at 04:02 AM.

post #16624 of 16627 Unread Today, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
All of your major stations should be easy. You should probably, if you already haven't, investigate all of those other stations to see if they're actually of interest to you. As I noted previously, the low power stations 47.x miles to your east are going to be very challenging to receive, if they're even possible. Are you sure they are worth the extra effort? If so, simply scrap out the preamp and aim your current antenna at them and see if they come in as a test. That will give you a good baseline as to whether or not they're going to be feasible.
Good morning!
Full disclosure. Before I packed up last night I decided to climb up on the roof and have a look. I had wanted to get some ideas from the forum before I climbed up there. SOOOOOOOO, got up on the roof with the intent of bypassing the amp and seeing what would happen. When I got up there I noticed that the light on the amp was not lit up. SOOOOOOOO, I figured out that the Bulldog had climbed behind the TV and unplugged the power to the amp....... Powered it back up, ran a scan and now back to where we started. As of this morning I'm getting KCCI, KDIN, WHO, KDSM, KDMI, KCWI & K41DD. That having been said, I still realize that the ULTRAtenna 60 won't (and didn't when I scanned) get WOI 5. So, when I get back home, I'll put up the old directional unit that SHOULD pick up WOI 5.

I'm sure glad I posted here, as I learned why I was not getting WOI 5. That is important to me.

I've attached a better picture of the old ant that will be going back up soon. For reference, it is standing next to an 8ft step ladder. If that is an improvement, I might very well invest in a new unit. After all, with just 2 months of cable bills, I'd have it paid for!

After I get back I'll let you know how the swap went.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ant next to ladder.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	2042361  
post #16625 of 16627 Unread Today, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
When it comes to ION, I'm curious to see if they will remain as broadcasters after the auction or if they decided to sell out. A quick survey of the NAB's repack site doesn't turn up any of their stations as relocating, so either they simply didn't respond to the voluntary survey or they sold out. I'd suggest waiting until the official results are known before expending any additional effort in receiving their signal.
This is REALLY good to know. Becky was REALLY wanting to get ION back. With the old ant that I'm putting back up this weekend, we got it. We no longer get it with the Ulta60, with or without the booster.
post #16626 of 16627 Unread Today, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
A low-VHF antenna makes catching the UHF50 translator irrelevant. Besides, that translator WILL disappear with the repack, probably relocated to a different channel, perhaps gone completely.

Many broadcasters are probably waiting for the FCC to announce the rest of the deals all at once, in a sort of safety-in-numbers scenario. ION has 3 stations in the Boston market, and 1 in the adjacent Providence market. All are full power UHF stations, and all carrying the same main and 5 subchannels. It's hard to believe they would not want to pick up $100 million or more by giving up at least one of them.

Then there are the stations owned by speculators like OTA (Michael Dell) and NRJ which haven't revealed anything.
post #16627 of 16627 Unread Today, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorman View Post

I'll put up the old directional unit that SHOULD pick up WOI 5

I've attached a better picture of the old ant that will be going back up soon. For reference, it is standing next to an 8ft step ladder. If that is an improvement, I might very well invest in a new unit. After all, with just 2 months of cable bills, I'd have it paid for!

After I get back I'll let you know how the swap went.

Russ
The longest element missing in the picture to the left will IMHO affect VHF-Lo the most.

But there may be not as bad an effect on RF 5. RF 2 is the most to be affected.

SHF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd