Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 16297 Old 07-14-2004, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by pepar
Do you enjoy it? That's what's important.

lol, its ok. way better than my 4watt built-in stereo TV speakers, but if i only move the speakers here and there a little bit, it would be way better, but i'm too lazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 16297 Old 07-14-2004, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sregener
I know I'm talking to the wind here, but when you have problems with a local affiliate, PLEASE post the call letters. It saves a lot of work for the rest of us.

WFXT-DT is running at 78kw ERP, directional, though it appears to be sending 80% of the signal your way. This is moderate power, and would be plenty if you had an outdoor antenna. Generally speaking, amplifiers/preamplifiers are only good in very weak signal areas, far away from all transmitters. As close as you are, it is unlikely that it would help.

Either get that antenna out in the open air where God intended antennas to be, or get a stronger UHF antenna. Radio Shack antennas are not known for their UHF reception capabilities, especially the VHF/UHF combos. Contact Stark Electronics about getting a Channel Master 3021 or 4228 and a Channel Master #0549 to combine your existing VHF reception with the superior UHF design of the CM.

Thank you.
post #213 of 16297 Old 07-14-2004, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Indoor Antenna Question: Regarding Amplifiers
I have a question about amplifiers on indoor antenna's, but I will give some background to my setup.

I am using an indoor RCA amplified antenna(Model#ANT200B. VHF/UHF FM) which can be found at CC, Walmart, or Target. Or it's improved brother or cousin(Phillips) which I will get to in a minute. The ANTENNA has an amplification of up to +25dbs. It is connected to a Recoton 4-way splitter(which I got on an open box at BB for $5, even though only two of the outputs are used) which, when plugged in has an amplification of +10dbs. The outputs are connected to a Yamaha HTR-5590 for FM, and a Sylvania SRZ3000 HD STB(nice, cheap entry to people interested to HD).

I have four digital stations that I receive between 15-30 mile radius, and one(CBS/KDKA out of Pittsburgh) which is 50 miles away(PGH is South of me), but I believe is the only one operating at full power(1000 kws or greater, whatever FULL power is, it is operating at it.) The four digital stations come in, on average, between 75-95. It fluctuates greatly sometimes when going from of the four to the next, but that is because I am just too lazy to adjust the antenna for optimum level on whatever channel I am on(I found somewhat of a "sweet spot" but not perfect). KDKA/CBS out of Pittsburgh is consistently in the 80-85 range, although I am 50 miles away. I've watched during the day, night, good weather(clear), and bad weather(cloudy, thunderstorms, rain, etc....) but the antenna level is almost always between 80-85. The dipoles on the antenna are always extended to their full extent. Although the dipoles are used for VHF/FM, they GREATLY help in the reception of the UHF channels for some reason, so I leave them up. All channels mentioned are UHF, and are MAPPED UHF. All this and I live in a Wooded area, surrounded by trees with full leaves(some 30ft or higher). There now you know my topography and my connection situation(and at this point, my life story! )

Today I saw that both RCA and Phillips have new amplified antenna's that now each have an adjustable gain for both VHF/FM and UHF. They are seperate from each other. There gains are as follows:

1. RCA: Up to 45dbs gain on VHF/FM. Up to 35dbs gain on UHF.

2. Phillips: Up to 45dbs gain on VHF/FM. Up to 30dbs gain on UHF.

My question is would picking up either one of these actually HELP my overall INDOOR reception. Would my average antenna rating(75-85) be GREATLY/ or SOMEWHAT increased with the higher amplified gain on both of these antennas?(an average of +40 between the two, as compared to the +25dbs I am getting now). Does there come a point in AMPLIFYING that you could have a amplification of +100dbs on your antenna, but +40dbs will get you the same results you are getting now.

Will the average +20dbs amplification on both antenna's give me better results?(instead of an average 75-85 range, the average could be significantly higher. 85-100 range). Or should I just keep my money.

An analogy to this(it is stupid so bear with me) is sunblock. 30 SPF or above will keep you well protected. The ones that are 35 or above, aren't going to keep you anymore protected then the SPF 30. Kind of an overkill.

Is the antenna amplification the same deal?

Thanx for your help in advance

--STEELERSRULE
post #214 of 16297 Old 07-14-2004, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by STEELERSRULE
I have four digital stations that I receive between 15-30 mile radius, and one(CBS/KDKA out of Pittsburgh) which is 50 miles away(PGH is South of me), but I believe is the only one operating at full power(1000 kws or greater, whatever FULL power is, it is operating at it.) The four digital stations come in, on average, between 75-95.

My question is would picking up either one of these actually HELP my overall INDOOR reception. Would my average antenna rating(75-85) be GREATLY/ or SOMEWHAT increased with the higher amplified gain on both of these antennas?(an average of +40 between the two, as compared to the +25dbs I am getting now). Does there come a point in AMPLIFYING that you could have a amplification of +100dbs on your antenna, but +40dbs will get you the same results you are getting now.

There is probably no additional amplification that will raise your signal-to-noise ratio in any meaningful way. As it is, either the amplified splitter or the internal amplifier is probably doing more harm than good. Once your signal is above the noise floor (as it most certainly is when you boost it 25db) there is no additional gain to be had be increasing that signal by amplification. Only by getting a better signal to amplify (i.e. getting a bigger antenna or locating it in a more optimal location) will your signal meter show a higher rating.

Signal strength meters on most STBs are really signal *quality* meters, and this can't be improved by amplification. You can overcome line loss and splitter loss with amplification, but you can't make the signal any cleaner than what it was when it hit the antenna. In other words, the limiting factor here isn't your amplifier - it's your antenna.

If you overamplify a signal, it is worse than no amplification at all, since the highs and lows will be "clipped" yielding a lower signal-to-noise ratio, and potentially destroying the signal altogether.

If it was me, I'd save my money for a project likely to yield some worthwhile results. You'd be throwing your money away since you already get good/great signals.
post #215 of 16297 Old 07-14-2004, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xbgamer
I currently connect to analog TV using a set of rabbit ears. I am thinking about getting an ATI HDTV Wonder card so that I can watch the olympics in HD (yes, i know about the looped programming and all that, but i love swimming and track...so i want it!!!), but I'm not sure about the reception. I currently get WRC-TV as a really static noisy picture (grainy). I'm guessing the equivalent of that in DT would be a stream with constant breakups...I checked with antennaweb.org and they showed me with a blue rating for WRC ("You need a Medium Directional Antenna with pre-amp"). Do you think I can slip by with my rabbit ear antennas with a built-in amplifier? What about an indoor antenna recommendation? When it comes to outdoor antennas...i simply am unable to climb roofs....

why not cable or satellite? cox cable is too expensive...same for voom, dish, and directv

here is an attached image of how the analog TV signal is using rabbit ears...think I can get away with rabbit ears?
LL
post #216 of 16297 Old 07-14-2004, 03:31 PM

and another image...
LL
post #217 of 16297 Old 07-14-2004, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

xbgamer, rabbit ears are good for VHF signals; most (though not all) digital stations are in the UHF band. Not knowing where you are, I can't see what stations are involved, but if you take a look you might find that you need to be using a UHF antenna. Something like the Zenith Silver Sensor might work for you, and still let you keep a moderately small antenna indoors.
post #218 of 16297 Old 07-14-2004, 05:13 PM

ok...i'm in a washington, d.c. suburb...a direct copy and paste from antennaweb:

* yellow - uhf WNVT-DT 30.1 IND Goldvein VA 184° 18.8 30
* green - uhf WPXW-DT 66.1 PAX Manassas VA 144° 11.0 43
* red - uhf WUSA-DT 9.1 CBS Washington DC 90° 21.6 34
* red - uhf WJLA-DT 7.1 ABC Washington DC 90° 21.6 39
* blue - uhf WETA-DT 26.1 PBS Washington DC 101° 18.5 27
* blue - uhf WHUT-DT 33 PBS Washington DC Testing 90° 21.6 33
* blue - uhf WTTG-DT 5.1 FOX Washington DC 89° 21.5 36
* blue - uhf WRC-DT 4.1 NBC Washington DC 92° 21.4 48
* violet - uhf WBDC-DT 50.1 WB Washington DC 90° 24.5 51
* violet - uhf WNVC-DT 57.1 IND Fairfax VA 107° 13.7 57
* violet - uhf WFDC-DT 15 TFA ARLINGTON VA TBD 92° 21.4 15

Yea, all of the DT channels are in UHF...(i dont know if 15 is or not, but its the spanish speaking channel, so i dont need that). I currently get pretty good UHF channel reception my pair of rabbit ears/UHF loop combo ampilified antenna...i'll post a few screen captures later...
post #219 of 16297 Old 07-14-2004, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

You should also review the Washington DC thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&goto=newpost

Asking your question there also might elicit some answers from people who are closer to your situation and who have already been through this.
post #220 of 16297 Old 07-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

I just purchased a Sasem USB2 powered HDTV tuner for my widescreen Dell 8500 laptop (1680x1050 resolution screen). So now, I'm trying to figure out how not to go broke and crazy trying to get reception of the local digitals.

I live in Vestavia Hills, which is just over a mountain from the towers. I'm appx 2.6 miles from the main DTV tower which has CBS, PBS, UPN, and WB (its a 3 spike candelabra design). The NBC and Fox towers are close to that, and the ABC tower is 37 miles away and is the only VHF tower of the bunch. I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for me. I have installed a CM 3017 antenna in the attic and pointed it as best I can in the direction of the towers. This gives me a signal on everything except ABC. However, the signal results in a picture with occassional hiccups which are consistent throughout the broadcast.

How do I determine if this is a multipath issue or a directional issue? I have installed a line amplifier from Radio Shack and am using a 50ft coaxial cable.

Here's my antennaweb config:

WIAT-DT 42.1 CBS BIRMINGHAM AL 335° 2.6 30
WBRC-DT 6.1 FOX Birmingham AL 346° 2.7 50
WBIH-DT 29 WB SELMA AL 185° 62.9 29
WTTO-DT 21.1 WB HOMEWOOD AL 335° 2.6 28
WVTM-DT 52.1 NBC BIRMINGHAM AL 349° 2.8 52
WCFT-DT 5.1 ABC TUSCALOOSA AL 275° 37.2 5
WBIQ-DT 10.1 PBS Birmingham AL 335° 2.6 53
WABM-DT 68.1 UPN BIRMINGHAM AL 335° 2.6 36

~ Scott LNT5265F, PS3, JBL-CS480, HR20-100

post #221 of 16297 Old 07-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm... VHF-lo 5. Didn't another Sasem owner have trouble with a VHF-lo station (WBBM-DT 3)? He fixed it by using a better power supply.
post #222 of 16297 Old 07-23-2004, 05:19 AM

Periodically, while I am watching my local CBS channel in HD I start to get audio drop out. The picture remains steady with no pixilation. Does anybody know what causes this?
post #223 of 16297 Old 07-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Rack
Hmm... VHF-lo 5. Didn't another Sasem owner have trouble with a VHF-lo station (WBBM-DT 3)? He fixed it by using a better power supply.

You are correct. That user was philjsmith67

He told me that the Sasem engineers told him they couldn't reproduce the noise on their production units so its possible he had a bad power supply. He sent his power supply back to them for testing. I'm not too keen on changing out the power supply, so I think I'll exhaust the other avenues of exploration first. I still have to do a test on the analog signal to see if the telltale noise philjsmith67 mentions is there.

~ Scott LNT5265F, PS3, JBL-CS480, HR20-100

post #224 of 16297 Old 07-23-2004, 10:03 PM

Hi Guys, I just ordered my first HDTV set and an DirectTV HD Tivo to go with it. I'm currently a Dish Network customer and completely new to the OTA thing. I ordered the HD Tivo through the CC web site from within a CC retail store and as a new DirectTV customer they threw in a new dish, a new Terk TV 44 clip-on antenna that is supposed to clip on the dish.

I'm assuming the Terk is a piece of junk and inadequate for my location because most of the other houses around here have bigger antennas. When I go to the antennaweb.org site I get the following information for my exact address.

red - vhf KCEN-DT 9.1 NBC TEMPLE TX 167° 29.4 mi 9
blue - uhf KWBU-DT 34.1 PBS Waco TX 182° 26.1 mi 20
blue - uhf KWTX-DT 10.1 CBS WACO TX 179° 25.8 mi 53
violet - uhf KXXV-DT 25.1 ABC WACO TX 178° 24.7 mi 26
violet - uhf KWKT-DT 44.1 FOX WACO TX 180° 26.2 mi 57

It appears I have a fairly narrow directional range from 167 degrees to 182 degrees and a distance range of 25 to 29 miles so I assume a medium range directional antenna will work. I also have four UHF stations and one VHF station at channel 9 and a recommended antenna range from red VHF to violet UHF.

In terms of installation I will likely be attaching a metal mounting pole to my chiminey which is where my current dish is installed. It is about 20' high and I suspect I can go up another 8' or so with just a pole. I will also have a run of about 75' to the TV.

Any recommendations of what to buy in terms of antennas, amps, and pre-amps? This is all new to me and I was figuring on trying the V15 VHF antenna from antennasdirect.com but that's just a guess on my part. Is there a better choice and do I need an amp or pre-amp for my installation?

Thanks for any advice. I want to get this wired and installed so I'm ready when the TV and receiver arrice.
post #225 of 16297 Old 07-24-2004, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a question regarding getting my local digital channels.

All of the channels I care about getting are located within 20 miles of my location, and according to AntennaWeb they all fall within the yellow-uhf (and only 2 being in the green-uhf/vhf) range.

I live in an apartment that does not face the channel's broadcast towers and I can only mount the antenna on a short pole from the balcony (not clearing the building's roof).

I am considering getting one of these Winegard antennas and I would like to know your opinions of them. They are:

MS-2000
SquareShooter (SS-1000 no-amp or SS-2000 amp)

Do I really need an amp, considering the location of my stations?
Would the amp "overdrive" my TV?
Is there a better alternative to what I have listed above as antenna choices?

Thank you all in advance.

Bill
post #226 of 16297 Old 07-24-2004, 04:45 PM

Well I went and bought a Channelmaster 3018 and a 10' mounting pole at Lowes this afternoon. The had the 3018 for $59 and the 3020 for $99. We'll see how it works. I figure with Lowes I can always just pull it down and put it back in the box and return it if it doesn't work.

You can see my location situation 2 posts up. Hopefully this will work for me. My first priority is bringing in the HDTV Olympics which happens to be on VHF channel 9 in my area. The rest of my stations are UHF. That is why I went with a big combination antenna like the 3018.
post #227 of 16297 Old 07-24-2004, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bogey62
All of the channels I care about getting are located within 20 miles of my location, and according to AntennaWeb they all fall within the yellow-uhf (and only 2 being in the green-uhf/vhf) range.

...I am considering getting one of these Winegard antennas and I would like to know your opinions of them. They are:

MS-2000
SquareShooter (SS-1000 no-amp or SS-2000 amp)

Do I really need an amp, considering the location of my stations?
Would the amp "overdrive" my TV?
Is there a better alternative to what I have listed above as antenna choices?

The SquareShooter is your best choice, and the unamplified version is best that close to the stations. An amplifier is only good when signals are clean (no ghosts on analogs) but weak (lots of snow on analogs.) At 20 miles, your #1 problem is going to be reflections, not snow.

Avoid multidirectional antennas at all costs.
post #228 of 16297 Old 07-24-2004, 08:25 PM

Quote:

The SquareShooter is your best choice, and the unamplified version is best that close to the stations. An amplifier is only good when signals are clean (no ghosts on analogs) but weak (lots of snow on analogs.) At 20 miles, your #1 problem is going to be reflections, not snow.

OK, cool, thanks for that bit of advice, sregener.

Bill
post #229 of 16297 Old 07-26-2004, 07:16 AM

I have posted here before awhile back for antenna advice and also have learned alot by reading the posts.

I have not yet purchased an antenna for the fear of mounting on my roof safety concerns, plus the expense of buying antenna, preamp, mast, rotator, hardware and cable, and hoping that it all works.

Yesterday I found an old uhf bowtie antenna in my junk box. I taped it to a
6 foot board and put it on my front porch, and ran a 25 foot RG6 cable from it to my Samsung Sir T151 that I got for cheap at BestBuy. At about the 6 feet high on the porch I actually received 4 digital stations. I had to
rotate the antenna slightly left and right to be able to get them. Also, I could tell that my Samsung was detecting other stations too, but not displaying them.

Could I go with a CM 4221 4 bay, mounted on the porch, and under the porch roof and maybe receive the other stations that the Samsung seemed to be detecting?

I figure with this setup I could avoid purchasing a pre-amp due to the shorter cable run, and avoid the rotator, I could just reach out the door and position it. The actual distance between the antenna and the TV is about 10.

Also would I still need to ground the antenna?

I figure this set up will cost me around 40.00 compared to 225.00 to 250.00
for mounting on the roof.

Angelo
post #230 of 16297 Old 07-26-2004, 07:36 AM

I live in NW Rochester, MN (Northgate area) and am looking to try OTA for local digital channels connected to a PC HDTV OTA Tuner (want to record HD). I am looking for some advice about equipment and what channels I will actually be able to receive.

According toAntennaweb.org I am in the violet and blue reception areas and can receive the following channels:
blue - vhf KTTC 10 NBC ROCHESTER MN 174° 31.9 10
blue - uhf K60DS 60 TBN ROCHESTER MN 82° 6.7 60
violet - vhf KAAL 6 ABC AUSTIN MN 229° 43.8 6
* violet - uhf KTTC-DT 10.1 NBC ROCHESTER MN 184° 27.0 36
violet - vhf KIMT 3 CBS MASON CITY IA 200° 48.9 3
violet - uhf WXOW 19 ABC LA CROSSE WI 104° 57.2 19
violet - vhf WKBT 8 CBS LA CROSSE WI 84° 56.5 8
violet - uhf WLAX 25 FOX La Crosse WI 104° 57.0 25
violet - uhf WHLA 31 PBS LA CROSSE WI 104° 57.2 31
violet - uhf KXLT 47 FOX ROCHESTER MN 184° 27.0 47

I see only one digital channel available (KTTC-DT10). Yet, according to NAB, I have the following digital channels available in the area:

Rochester, MN-Mason City, IA-Austin, MN 152
KXLT-TV FOX 47.n 46
KAAL ABC 6.n 33
KIMT CBS 3.n 42
KTTC NBC 10.n 36
KSMQ-TV PBS 15.n 20

Questions:
Which of these channels are available and which are not?
With digital channels being my main concern (all on UHF) but still with a desire to use the analog channels as well, which antenna(s) are ideal? Channel Master 4228, 4221 or 3671? Channel Master CM 7777 Preamp? Something completely different? I am prepared for outdoor rooftop mount (wife is too).

Will I have to deal with multi-pathing or is distance from transmitters my biggest issue?

Will a PC HDTV Tuner card be an adequate receiver ?

Is it going to be at all possible to tune in other channels within 100 miles distance like the following:

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
14 KMWB WB 23.n 22
KPXM PAX 41.n 40
KARE-TV NBC 11.n 35
KAWB PBS 22.n 28
KAWE PBS 9.n 18
WFTC UPN 29.n 21
KTCA-TV PBS 2.n 34
KTCI-TV PBS 17.n 16
KSTC-TV IND 45.n 44
KMSP-TV FOX 9.n 26
KSTP-TV ABC 5.n 50
WCCO-TV CBS 4.n 32
KCCO-TV CBS 7.n 24
KCCW-TV CBS 12.

La Crosse-Eau Claire, WI 126
WKBT CBS 8.n 41
WQOW-TV ABC 18.n 15
WXOW-TV ABC 19.n 14
WEAU-TV NBC 13.n 39
WHLA-TV PBS 31.n 30

Any help/experience/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
cpalcott
post #231 of 16297 Old 07-26-2004, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Angelo M
Could I go with a CM 4221 4 bay, mounted on the porch, and under the porch roof and maybe receive the other stations that the Samsung seemed to be detecting?

Also would I still need to ground the antenna?

A 4-bay antenna, with a screen, with outperform a single bowtie w/o screen by a lot. You would at least get what you get now, and maybe more, with a 4-bay. While it would obviously be better to go above your roofline, sometimes you can get away with doing everything "wrong." Don't get a preamplifier - it won't work if your signals are that strong with a single bowtie.

Any outdoor antenna should be grounded. If it is subject to wind, it is subject to static buildup, and that buildup can create a potential difference great enough to encourage lightning to seek it out.
post #232 of 16297 Old 07-26-2004, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I just spoke with a guy at Warren Electronics Parts and Supplies (warrenelectronics.com), and he sounded knowlegeable about the antennas. I asked about the SquareShooter and he said that is was a great antenna until you drop below channel 10. He said that it really fell off down there.

The channels I really care about getting in HD are all located under 20 miles from my apartment, but they are numbers 2, 4, and 7.

Does anyone have experience with this antenna on low numbered channels?

Thank you.

Bill
post #233 of 16297 Old 07-26-2004, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The channels I really care about getting in HD are all located under 20 miles from my apartment, but they are numbers 2, 4, and 7.

More than likely, you're listing the analog channel numbers. I don't know of a single market with that many VHF digital signals.

Check out the list at http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp for real channel numbers.
post #234 of 16297 Old 07-26-2004, 01:08 PM

Quote:

More than likely, you're listing the analog channel numbers. I don't know of a single market with that many VHF digital signals.

My channels are on:

All are within 20 miles of my location.

I wonder if it's worth spending $100 on the SquareShooter without the booster, or springing the extra $$$ for the booster?

Thanks.

Bill
post #235 of 16297 Old 07-26-2004, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My channels are on:

All are within 20 miles of my location.

At 20 miles, I think you'd be fine. I don't recommend a preamplifier (booster) at that range. Just about any properly placed antenna should work okay, unless you're physically blocked.
post #236 of 16297 Old 07-26-2004, 02:43 PM

Quote:

At 20 miles, I think you'd be fine. I don't recommend a preamplifier (booster) at that range. Just about any properly placed antenna should work okay, unless you're physically blocked.

OK, thanks again, sregener.

Bill
post #237 of 16297 Old 07-27-2004, 11:58 PM

1. Don't laugh
2. Put down any liquids ya'll might be drinkin, k?

We have a 2 story house on the backside of a hill - all the Austin stations are 'over the hill' but only about 10 miles away.

Our house was wired up when it was built 3 years ago, so we have drops already.

Our HDTV monitor is downstairs (Panasonic 32", last year's model from WalMart.)
With it we're using that WalMart STB US Digital HDTV Receiver DB-2010 (under $200)
That's all hooked up to our stereo (not 5.1 but nice, older)

Upstairs we have 2 Sonys ... 1 from 1989, one from 1985.

We got the SS1000 (Square Shooter) and set it on top of Sony 1989. Got an amplified splitter, sent one cable to the wall, the other to the 1989 Sony. Realized that we needed an antenna for Analog Channel 7 (Fox) so I got the bunny ears (vhf only) off the Sony, hooked em inline before the splitter and propped them up against the bookcase.

OK... tvs on analog look really good.

Downstairs I realized that KTBC-DT (FOX 7/56) wasn't coming in. Not surprised, it's transmitting at .8 kw and we're 10.5 miles away from the tower... so I got another splitter, put it between the STB and the second input on the Panasonic.

We watch KTBC in Analog but we pick up up the local ABC, NBC, CBS, WB, PBS in Digital. Somehow we are also picking up a station in Killeen (KAKW-DT, Univision) too - in a different direction from everything else... we're getting everything that antennaweb says we should get if we have a light green rated antenna...

I figure when KTBC-DT gets some power we'll get that just fine too.

'shana
post #238 of 16297 Old 07-28-2004, 05:24 PM

I recently installed a Winegard PR-4400 to improve my OTA reception in Los Angeles. It works great and I get all of the digital channels great except KOCE, the Orange county PBS channel. My receiver is a Hughes HTL-HD. The signal strength on the receiver for KOCE is equal to or greater than all of the rest of the channels. I receive no sound and have a great picture that will freeze and then go to no signal and then the whole process repeats. Prior to installing the Winegard I was using our condo's antenna and was experiencing the same thing.

All LA stations(including KOCE) broadcast from Mt. Wilson about 27 miles away within 36-39 degrees. All the other stations are rock solid with no drop outs.

Any thoughts???
post #239 of 16297 Old 07-29-2004, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MDRLou
The signal strength on the receiver for KOCE is equal to or greater than all of the rest of the channels. I receive no sound and have a great picture that will freeze and then go to no signal and then the whole process repeats. Prior to installing the Winegard I was using our condo's antenna and was experiencing the same thing.

All LA stations(including KOCE) broadcast from Mt. Wilson about 27 miles away within 36-39 degrees. All the other stations are rock solid with no drop outs.

Any thoughts???

Yes. You might try searching for KOCE in this forum. I did and the first hit after your post was:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=KOCE

Apparently, they upgraded their encoder and now everyone is having problems.
post #240 of 16297 Old 07-29-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spinnergy
He told me that the Sasem engineers told him they couldn't reproduce the noise on their production units so its possible he had a bad power supply. He sent his power supply back to them for testing. I'm not too keen on changing out the power supply, so I think I'll exhaust the other avenues of exploration first. I still have to do a test on the analog signal to see if the telltale noise philjsmith67 mentions is there.

For your perusal, I posted two screenshots with the interference I was talking about from the power supply. These are screenshots of channels 2 and 5, taken while using the stock supply. As you can see, I had clear reception of both stations but the RFI was significantly stronger.

Both of these stations are clear and free of this interference using a 5VDC 3A regulated bench supply.

Click on either image to enlarge them.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page