Terk HDTVi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-29-2004, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm aware that Terk doesn't have a great reputation in these forums, but I noticed an intriguing item in my local Best Buy. The antenna, labeled the HDTVi, looks like a Silver Sensor knock-off. However, it also adds VHF rabbit ears to the equation. Does anybody have any experience with this antenna?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-31-2004, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm curious what everyone has to say as well about this one. I can't seem to find the Silver Sensor anywhere local to me. Even the Gemini model I can't find. I did find this at my local best buy as well but wasn't sure if it was just an OEM that terk picked up and put their name on it. Anyone?
post #3 of 15 Old 04-01-2004, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Could be, since recently Terk has been OEMing other manufacturers antennas. Several of their new outdoor models are really Winegard models - of course they charge over double the price as the same Winegards! So how much is the Terk "Silver Sensor" - probably $100?
post #4 of 15 Old 04-01-2004, 06:05 AM

I was wondering the same thing. It is thirty nine dollars in my local BB. It looks a little more pleasing to the eye than the Zenith or Gemini. I did notice that the actual antenna is not directly connected to the coax cable. Not sure if that would make a difference or not.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-01-2004, 08:37 AM

That Terk is a knock off of the Silver Sensor. I asked the Gemini rep at CES if they or Antiference were licensing their design to TERK and he said Terk just stole the design of the SS and found a Chinese factory to make it for them.

Terk has never been an innovator, all they are is a maketing organzation and they have shown no interest in advancing antenna technology or design.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-01-2004, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randyman
I'm curious what everyone has to say as well about this one. I can't seem to find the Silver Sensor anywhere local to me. Even the Gemini model I can't find. I did find this at my local best buy as well but wasn't sure if it was just an OEM that terk picked up and put their name on it. Anyone?
Try your local Sears store.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-01-2004, 02:52 PM

You can get the Silver Sensor from buy.com. It's pretty inexpensive, too.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-01-2004, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
But has anyone purchased or tried this new Terk model?
post #9 of 15 Old 04-01-2004, 04:23 PM

I went to my local BB looking for a silver sensor but they did not have any. I thought I would try to amuse myself with the TREK knockoff for now untill I could locate a siver sensor. I must say that in my area, this unit works great. I am in Toluca Lake, Ca and somewhat in the middle of the San Fernando valley and I am able to pull in CBS, NBC, KTLA, PBS, and ABC all between 83% to 92%. I thought for sure I was going to have to return it when I found a silver sensor but now I may just keep it. It matches my overall theater decor nicely. I realise that in the past, TREK products have ben lambasted on this forum so I was leary at first, but this product seems to work quite well (in my area at least)

My two cents,

Pumi

P.S- I paid 39.99 for this at BB:D
post #10 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 AM

Here is my exprience with this TERK HDTVi antenna.

In short, this is POS. :) . Seriously.

I've used and tested many indoor antennas. Silver Sensor is still the best out there at this time.

I had a chance to help my cousin with an OTA HDTV setup. I told him to go to buy.com and get the same Silver Sensor as the one I am using, but they were out of stock at that time. He couldn't waid and willing to pay more, so I told him go to BestBuy and get one. He called me and told me no Silver Sensor but he found the Terk HDTVi similar to the SS and ask me if it any good. I had no clue at that time and told him just pick it up and I'll hook it up and try it. He paid $35 for this.

When I got to his appartment, I was impressed with the well buid quality and the nice looked of this Terk HDTVi antenna. I thought I will get one for my self to pickup some VHF channel that I couldn't get with my Silver Sensor. But when I hooked the HDTVi to the Samsung SIR-T151 that he bought used for a good price, couldn't even get a single channel. I didn't think this TERK HDTVi antenna is that crappy. It looks nice and solid. All I suspected was an defective used samsung box. It was so frustrated. And I decided to run home and bring my SIR-TS165 and the my SS to test to see if it is the antenna or the box.

Hooked my SS to his box. BAM. Everything came in ABC, CBS, PBS, NBC and other channels. What else can I say. My cousin was stunted. He didn't expect to get many channels because he live in the appartment building with many obstacles and is 25 miles from the towers in Boston, MA

For any of those are looking for an indoor antenna, I'd recommend getting the Silver Sensor.

This Terk HDTVi looks 10 times better than the Silver Sensor. It is more like a piece of sculpture art. It is good for a decorative, but not for pulling HDTV signals :) TERK, Can you make anything that works?
post #11 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Haha - Terk can't even copy a good design (like the Silver Sensor) right!
post #12 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally posted by Jwalter
That Terk is a knock off of the Silver Sensor. I asked the Gemini rep at CES if they or Antiference were licensing their design to TERK and he said Terk just stole the design of the SS and found a Chinese factory to make it for them.

Terk has never been an innovator, all they are is a maketing organzation and they have shown no interest in advancing antenna technology or design.
I had to laugh out loud when I read your post....I've wasted so much money on Terk antennas I'm too embarrassed to say. None of them has worked as advertised; the TV55 model I got years ago has yet to pull in more than two stations. Antiference ought to sue them.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 07:13 PM

There is an article on HDTV in the May 04 edition of PC World. On page 152 they have a picture of the "HDTV Rabbit Ears by Terk" at a cost of $40.00. It looks nice, but looks aren't everything....
post #14 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have one sitting in the box ready to be returned behind me right now. I posted about this a few days ago. I too was looking for a silver sensor and saq this little puppy at my local BestBuy on Nassau County NY. Most towers are whithin 20 miles of me in teh same general direction and I could not get any signal with this antenna. I tried moving it around, aiming it more precisely (going by antennaweb.org) but nothing. I will return this POS and get the Square Shooter and Attic mount it.

If that doesn't work, I am thinking of running one looooong coax straight to the broadcasting towers.

-Evangelo2
post #15 of 15 Old 04-06-2004, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy1
I had to laugh out loud when I read your post....I've wasted so much money on Terk antennas I'm too embarrassed to say. None of them has worked as advertised; the TV55 model I got years ago has yet to pull in more than two stations. Antiference ought to sue them.
I guess I must be the only guy in the USA to get good OTA reception with a TERK TV55. I live approximately 50 miles from the Orlando area transmission tower (Bithlo), and I get all the Orlando digital signals at 80-95% ---and--- my antenna is hanging from the rafters INSIDE my attic.

Oh well, if you have to choose between being good or being lucky, take lucky everytime.

Robbie:D
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page