Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 62 Old 03-29-2004, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does this mean what I think it means? The HD/DVR for $49? I must be dreaming (from today's SkyReport):

DirecTV Readies HD/DVR, Off-Air Antenna Offer

DirecTV will soon implement an offer for current customers of the satellite TV service who wish to upgrade to a DirecTV HD receiver or a DirecTV DVR receiver.

Under the first version of the offer, a current customer can buy a DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV DVR receiver and have it installed for $49.

Through the second offer, a current DirecTV customer can get the same deal with the DVR receiver, but also have the option of upgrading the installation to include an off-air antenna for $99. The offer is available only in select markets, but gives customers access to local channels in high-def if they reside in one of the 32 markets covered by the promotion.

Cities in the promotion include Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Seattle, and Washington D.C., among others.

The off-air antenna strategy is new for the satellite TV company concerning locals and high-def programming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 03-29-2004, 04:31 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
It says a HD receiver or a DVR receiver, not an HD DVR receiver. Sorry
post #3 of 62 Old 03-29-2004, 04:56 AM

There's 2 ways to read this HD receiver OR HD PVR or else HD receiver or PVR. Needs more clarifcation.

DirecTV Readies HD/DVR in the heading is potentially confusing.

I doubt they'd offer an HD PVR for that price, but then, who know. D*TV is at the early stages of aggressively pursuing marketing campaigns to grow subscribers again this year.
post #4 of 62 Old 03-29-2004, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
" DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV DVR receiver "

Definitely one or the other.
post #5 of 62 Old 03-29-2004, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It certainly got my attention when I read my email this morning.
post #6 of 62 Old 03-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dg28
Does this mean what I think it means? The HD/DVR for $49? I must be dreaming (from today's SkyReport):

Under the first version of the offer, a current customer can buy a DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV DVR receiver and have it installed for $49.
I think there's two confusions here.

First, as others have pointed out, it's an either / or between an HD receiver or a DVR.

Second, it just says that a customer can buy a D* HD receiver and have it installed for $49. Doesn't say that you can buy it for $49, just that you can have it installed for $49.

At least that's the way I read it.
post #7 of 62 Old 03-29-2004, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

"Under the first version of the offer, a current customer can buy a DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV DVR receiver and have it installed for $49. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read it as BOTH ! Buy it, installed, for $49.

The interesting part is when they mention; "a current DirecTV customer can get the same deal with the DVR receiver, but also have the option of upgrading the installation to include an off-air antenna for $99".

Seeing as the current SD DirecTivo units do not have an OTA option to receive local channels, it leads me to believe they are talking about HD TIVO!
post #8 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Well from what it looks like is today (3-30-04) DirecTV will at some time today start to offer the following below.

Customers can order a DirecTV DVR for 50 bucks including free installation with a one year agreement with any total choice package.

Customers can also order a DirecTV HDTV receiver with free installation for 50 bucks as well with a one year agreement to any total choice package as well. Customers can get the DirecTV HDTV offer with an OTA rooftop antenna (no attic antenna but rooftop only) for 100 bucks including installation with one year agreement to any total choice package.

Just to clarify here's what you get below.

1. DirecTV DVR with free installation of two lines. Price is 50 bucks.
2. DirecTV HD box with free installation and free triple-LNB dish. Price 50 bucks.

3. DirecTV HD box, triple-LNB dish and OTA rooftop antenna. Includes installation of DirecTV HD box, dish and OTA antenna. Multiswitch is also included with all offers if needed. Price for everything in offer 3 is 100 bucks flat.

From what was said is that installation is required including activation of hardware.

So with that said there is now no excuse to not switch to either Voom, DirecTV or Dish Network for this reason below.

Voom you rent with no upfront costs. Dish network you rent with no upfront costs. DirecTV you don't rent but only 50 or 100 buck upfront costs for HD. This stuff is cheap enough now that its a no brainer.

Also these offers are all good for existing customers but I'm not sure if new customers will get the same price or cheaper with new customer offers but even for new customers 100 bucks is still cheaper than what I paid 6 months ago (about 350 bucks cheaper) and you get an OTA antenna with install thrown in for free to boot.

This is indeed a good time to buy an HDTV set.
post #9 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 05:11 AM

If this is true this is fantastic. I will be getting my 65s700 on Monday and was looking at cable for my HD content because of th up front cost with D*. Now I do not have to switch !!!!!
post #10 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Well call DirecTV and see if you can place their order. I checked DirecTVs website and their site is all messed up and I think its because they are changing it right now.
post #11 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
From SKYREPORT.COM

DirecTV will soon implement an offer for current customers of the satellite TV service who wish to upgrade to a DirecTV HD receiver or a DirecTV DVR receiver.

Through the second offer, a current DirecTV customer can get the same deal with the DVR receiver, but also have the option of upgrading the installation to include an off-air antenna for $99. The offer is available only in select markets, but gives customers access to local channels in high-def if they reside in one of the 32 markets covered by the promotion.

Cities in the promotion include Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Seattle, and Washington D.C., among others.

The off-air antenna strategy is new for the satellite TV company concerning locals and high-def programming.
post #12 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 06:26 AM

I did check out the site and the only options I saw were DVR for $99, HD receiver and dish for $349, or an hd receiver OTA antennae and dish for $399. All of those included install. I will call later and see what the deal is.

Update:
Called them and spoke to numerous people there and they had no idea what I was talking about. When I mentioned that it was on skyreport the guy on the phone got angry and said it must be a dealer. The best price they would give me with out really pressing them was $299. He said they just dropped the price today by $100. I told him at that price I could go to CC and buy it for $299 and not have wait for someone to bring it out. I'll try later today and speak to customer retention.
post #13 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

And yet another repost of the same thing...

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #14 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
This has been discussed thoroughly in the HDTV Hardware section. Just to clarify - the deal pertains to a HD Receiver OR a PVR, but not the HD-Tivo coming out shortly.
post #15 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
WTF??? From a moderator non the less???

This is the first I've read of this, and I consider myself to keep fairly up to date with this forum. If you are going to call out the guy like this, give a link so I can read all the information on this subject. I browsed back 3 days and haven't found them yet. Perhaps it's a repeated thread on the forum you moderate. It seems fresh here in Programming. If I somehow overlooked the other 5 threads on this, let me know.

About this thread... Sounds like a good plan for existing customers. I want to see something for me, a prospective new customer.
post #16 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gpflepsen
WTF??? From a moderator non the less???

This is the first I've read of this, and I consider myself to keep fairly up to date with this forum. If you are going to call out the guy like this, give a link so I can read all the information on this subject. I browsed back 3 days and haven't found them yet. Perhaps it's a repeated thread on the forum you moderate. It seems fresh here in Programming. If I somehow overlooked the other 5 threads on this, let me know.

About this thread... Sounds like a good plan for existing customers. I want to see something for me, a prospective new customer.
Well, the thread has nothing to do with programming.

"Some have the speed, and the right combinations, but if you can't take the punches, it don't mean a thing."
post #17 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

A simple move and directing link would suffice then.
post #18 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

This is the first I've seen about this, too. Can't find it in any other HDTV-related forum.

Thanks, bhambrad.

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #19 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, from a moderator (though not, you will note, a moderator of this particular forum). This particular deal has been posted and reposted probably 8 times since yesterday in a wide variety of forums, including the correct one for posts of this type.

post #20 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Then add a link so we can share. It's just the polite thing to do.
post #21 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:26 AM

This thread is on the front page of the HDTV Hardware forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=385265
post #22 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

I would also like a link to the other thread. I've read stuff on other forums about this, but not at AVS. I don't read all of the different forums here regularly. On one other one that I read, there was speculation that if you read the offer literally, that the $49 is just for the installation. This would make some sense for the HD receiver, but not the Tivo. For Tivos now you can get the unit and install for $99, so why would you pay for the unit separately and then pay $49 for the install? Also, this is the first post I've seen that the offer is supposed to start today.
post #23 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:30 AM

post #24 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, now I know why I didn't see it before. That thread's title is not nearly as descriptive of the subject matter as this one.

"

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #25 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:32 AM

post #26 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #27 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David McRoy
Well, now I know why I didn't see it before. That thread's title is not nearly as descriptive of the subject matter as this one.

"
I think most thread titles were changed after the poster realized what the article was actually saying. Most titles had the potential of giving anyone who pre-ordered a HD-Tivo a coronary.
post #28 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

We are not worthy of your skills ;)
post #29 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 07:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Whatever makes you happy :)

Seriously, I know it's far easier to type something new than to search (I'm not sure why that is, but it seems to be a reality) but search first, post second is always a good policy. Of course, it alo helps to search the correct forums ;). I'm not trying to be a hardass, it just gets frustrating sometimes.

post #30 of 62 Old 03-30-2004, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gpflepsen
We are not worthy of your skills ;)
If you REALLY want to be impressed, check out madpoet's first 1000 posts - every single one rhymed. :)
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page