Better late than never? The Toshiba DST-3100 is here. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2004, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to avs forum so until I find my way around I hope I post this properly. I received the DST-3100 yesterday and so far I am not impressed with it. I thought I would replace my dst-3000 (which worked o.k. with the exception of dropped signals on some local digital channels.) with this new model to help lock on the signals. This unit has a fan that runs all the time with unit on or off and is quite loud! If the 3000 had a fan it was super quite and could not be heard. Also when I scan for local channels it is not finding all of them? The old unit found all the digital stations with no problem. I better stop now until I am sure this post is getting directed to the proper area for people interested in the DST-3100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Sounds like you're the first to get it. I ended up ordering the HD-TiVo. For just a few hundred more I get 2 more tuners plus the abilility to record 2 things at once. I sold my DST-3000 a few weeks ago for $400 after I got the Sammy 360 from DirecTv for their $99 deal. The DST-3000 did not have a fan nor does the Sammy 360. The HD-TiVo has a fan but I have 2 other SD Tivos and an HTPC in the same room so I already have some fan noise in the room. I ordered the DST3100 last fall but after it it got delayed I cancelled it. Good luck with it. I hope it turns out to be a good STB in the end.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 04-03-2004, 08:23 AM

larcar,

Other than the two problems you are having does there seem to be any other glitches, audio drops etc. I will be getting mine on Tuesday. I can put up with a little fan noise as long as the rest of the box is stable. At least I think I can put up with a little fan noise.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:36 AM

I've had mine operational for a day now. First impressions were not favorable. The graphic interface seemed worse than my old Sony HD200 or the new Sammy 360. I connected the cable and OTA antenna and for some reason my local HD stations would not tune in at all. I resolved that by swapping the cable and antenna inputs and rescanning, but that shouldn't have been necessary as in the setup you tell it what is connected to each input.

After I finally figured out how to change the menu colors, got the OTA stuff straightened out, and played with it another couple of hours. I am starting to warm up to it. The HD video is far superior to the Sammy and on par with the Sony. There have been no audio or video drops so far nor any pixelization at odd random which is a significant problem I have with the 360. I haven't found any way to get pillar displays of 4:3 programming with gray bars on the side instead of black bars.

Some of the channel logos are missing which is odd. SHO HD, HDNetM, SCI, just to name a few. Both of my other receivers had all the logos in place. The resolution of the logos and other graphics is relatively crude and sometimes difficult to make out.

Yes, the fan is noisy and annoying.

So that's my first day impression. This whole venture into trying to find the perfect HD receiver started when the warranty on my HD200 ran out. It had been in the shop 3 times in the year I had it. Twice the DirecTV tuner went out completely. The 3rd one they sent me would lock up 2-3 times a week when looking at the guide requiring a power reset. The HD200 has a really bad problem in that it loses it's custom guide at random or every time it loses power. Not good. The HD video is outstanding however. Probably the best of the 3 I've tried.

I got the Sammy through DirecTV's $99 deal. The HD picture is sub-par. It's prone to intermittent video and audio drop outs, although not a bad problem if it is well ventilated. It has annoying random pixelization at odd random on both HD and SD programming. The Caller ID display stays on screen until you grab the remote and push a button. It's graphical interface is the best of the three.

And then there's the 3100. I won't be keeping all of them. Only two. I'll give the 3100 a week or two of use and we'll see what happens.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mike331,
For some reason it is not picking up all the local digital stations on my antenna, plus channel 3-1 on my other unit is now 2-02? kind of strange. Maybe I will switch my antenna input from 1 to 2 and scan again like vfr781rider said he tried. I don't know if I can stand the fan noise. I leave my component cabinet door open for ventilation and the door also blocks the remoter signal for my dvd-hard drive recorder.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Time to put some lipstick on this pig..... I'm curious to hear more.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Huh? I've *never* heard of an STB where *you* tell *it* which input is the sat and which is the OTA. :) I want to hear more too!

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
Old 04-03-2004, 08:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
Huh? I've *never* heard of an STB where *you* tell *it* which input is the sat and which is the OTA. :) I want to hear more too!
It sounds like you tell it which input has antenna and which has cable, i.e. which input the Sat connection is sharing. The E86 and DST3000 do that.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:10 AM

vfr781rider and larcar, do you have anymore input on your Toshiba's. I'm getting mine on Tuesday, but I would like as much info as I can have when I open the box! I'm hoping everything is going well with them.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-05-2004, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Oh, 'cable' cable.... I'd forgotten this beast did Cable. (I'd been waiting so long... :) ) (I thought he meant the sat cable.)

Old 04-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

The 3000 doesn't have a fan (and gets hotter than hell).

David
Old 04-05-2004, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well for whoever may be interested in the DST-3100, after trying everything I could think of, changing antenna input's and rescanning, unplugging the power and rebooting, this unit still could not find all of the local digital stations available here. The DST-3000 does not miss any. I called the tech support line at Toshiba and they were of no help at all. I think tech support does not even know this unit has been released yet. The 3000 does get hot but so does the 3100 even with the annoying fan noise which can be heard in another room when it is quite! Maybe this unit is a lemon I don't know but in my opinion this unit is not a step up from the 3000. I have sense called where I purchased this unit and arranged to return it. I am now thinking of picking up the LG-LSS-3200A, anyone have any input on this model?
Old 04-05-2004, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by larcar
I am now thinking of picking up the LG-LSS-3200A, anyone have any input on this model?
There are lots of other topics different STB's; let's keep this one focused on the 3100.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 04-07-2004, 12:43 AM

I tried to tell everyone that this box would be a POS. I heard that myself from a D* product testing engineer last summer.

And this is the same box as the new DTC-210? I sure hope not!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I pre-ordered this box from One-Call back in August or September. In December, after seeing the low price of the new Hughes STB's, I cancelled by pre-order.

Yesterday, I got 2 calls at my office. The first was a message from One-Call saying that the STB was being shipped to me immediately and to call back if I had any questions. The second was a call that came in just as I walked into my office, prior to listening to the first message. It was another call from One-Call asking if I still wanted the STB. When I told them that I I cancelled the order a long time ago, they told me it apparently some orders hadn't been cancelled by the person who was supposed to do so and that's why they were calling.

If you have pre-ordered and subsequently cancelled this STB from One-Call, it might be a good idea to call them to make sure that your order was actually cancelled.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HD_JUNKIE
I tried to tell everyone that this box would be a POS. I heard that myself from a D* product testing engineer last summer.

After almost a week with mine, I disagree about it being a POS. As mentioned in a previous post, I've had the 3100, Sony 200, and Samsung 360. If I had to keep only one, it would be the 3100. HD picture quality has to be toward the top of my list. The 3100 and Sony are equal in that regard. The Samsung is nowhere close. I only have two gripes about the 3100 and they're both minor ones. (1) The fan noise is sometimes slightly annoying, and (2) the custom guide shows some OTA channels that have been deselected and should not be shown.

The graphical interface is not as good as the Samsung. Choosing the 'plain' color scheme helps though. I did finally figure out how to get gray pillars at the side of SD broadcasts by simply selecting 480i or 480p instead of going into setup and trying to configure it through the AV settings screen.

General operation has been excellent. Audio and video on both SD and HD stations have been flawless.

I'm of the opinion that there are no perfect boxes out there today. This HD receiver stuff is still a work in progress. From my limited experience, I could recommend the 3100 as the best all around unit to be had among the ones I've had the opportunity to play with.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
I don't think it is the same box. I have heard this rumor, but I haven't seen any proof of it.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

vfr781rider, Glad to hear your DST-3100 is working fine for you. I may have stuck with mine for awhile longer if I could get it to pull in all the local digital channels, which I could not get it to do. 2 of the local digital stations NBC 3-1 & FOX 8-1 would not come in with this unit only analog, but does with the DST-3000? Why should I miss out on the hi def that is available from NBC & FOX. The fan noise may have taken some getting used to. I have a Panasonic HDD & DVD recorder that has a fan and you would not even know it does. (super quiet). I know Toshiba could have put in a quieter fan if they wanted to. Later
Old 04-07-2004, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HD_JUNKIE

Again, it's not.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 04-07-2004, 08:21 PM

Old 04-07-2004, 09:34 PM

So, its as good as the Hughes/LG in some ways, not as good in others, but in no way better? Is this what I'm reading? . Well, it doesn't have audio drops so thats a plus. If D* would get off their duff and release the new firmware for the Hughes/LG/Sony then it seems there would be no reason whatsoever to put the Toshiba above the Hughes/LG.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:38 AM

Sort Of. I am blaming the manuf first and for most. *D simply needs to shove a hot iron or pull the manuf's eligibility to sell product under the *D label. If this does not happen, the Toshiba is ahead, but then *D wants to kill the product under "limited production / availability, non approved /announced label".

Obviously, *D has heard the message. 1y delayed availability on this product, but is also not addressing archived product, nor are any major retail stores planning on carrying the TS360 in the near future, nor is Samsung or LG planning any future defect upgrades. The 811 for *D.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

A couple of comments. Toshiba dropped the 'simultaneous' output claims from the ads and then OneCall did also last summer some time. I think they woke up to the fact that it was only in 480i that it worked!

The CC options seem to be the same for all HD boxes. All those fancy fonts are for 'digital captions' that I, for one, have never see. My Sony 300 only does normal 'black/white' classic CC. Does this one really do the fancy CC?! Neat, if so.

(What's with all the '*D'? It's 'D*' :) )

Old 04-08-2004, 02:51 PM

Yes it has DVi outputs,
Old 04-08-2004, 05:30 PM

vfr781rider, Gary and larcar,

I know vfr781rider has missing station logos such as channel 91, 78, 224 in the guide I also am missing them plus quite a few more. Just checking to see if this affects all who own this box.

Thanks,
Mike

I have not come up with a solution, but it's great to know that **************** has been helping me to resolve this issue. They have great before and after sales support!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
The CC options seem to be the same for all HD boxes. All those fancy fonts are for 'digital captions' that I, for one, have never see. My Sony 300 only does normal 'black/white' classic CC. Does this one really do the fancy CC?! Neat, if so.

(What's with all the '*D'? It's 'D*' )
DST-3100 CC Features;

Caption Size
Caption Text
Caption Text Edge
Caption Text Color
Caption Background Color

*D = Death Star, The Dark Side of D* (humor)
Old 04-08-2004, 08:14 PM

Gary when you get a chance will you check for me. By the way your review was great. It pretty much sums up what I think of it. The missing station ID's concerns me a little, after all we are all looking for the perfect or near perfect box.

Thank's
Mike
Old 04-09-2004, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike331
Gary when you get a chance will you check for me. By the way your review was great. It pretty much sums up what I think of it. The missing station ID's concerns me a little, after all we are all looking for the perfect or near perfect box.
Channels with missing icons / station logo;

78 - HDNet Movies
91 - Showtime HD
224 - TV Guide
284 - The Science Channel
286 - Discovery Home
302 - Nicktoons
309 - GSN
321 - World Harvest TV
367 - ACN Shopping
368 - Fit TV
369 - Daystar
373 - The Word
375 - WorldLink TV
376 - NASA
377 - PBS You
379 - RFD-TV
412 - CASA (Spanish)
415 - OTV (Spanish)
417 - CARA (Spanish)
418 - CANA (Spanish)
427 - TYC (Spanish)
543 - Showtime HD (Mirror)
581 - DTV Sign Off
582 - DTV Sign Off
583 thru 591 - PTNW (Private Teleconference Network)
596 - Spice Platinum
597 - The Hot Network
598 - The Hot Zone
632 - The Sunshine Network
753 - DTV Sports Schedule
793 thru 798 - MLS
Old 04-09-2004, 07:49 AM

Thank's Gary.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:56 PM

Toshiba's web site was updated today with an active link to the DST-3100.

DST-3100 Product Page
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...model=DST-3100

Spec Sheet (PDF)
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/pdf/dst-3100.pdf

Owners Manual (PDF)
*Not available from Toshiba or D* yet.

>>> A bug in Toshiba's Technology & Benefits description.

HD/SD Simultaneous Output*
benefit: Since the DST3100 offers parallel video outputs, you can send a high-definition signal to the main set in the living room, while simultaneously sending a standard definition signal to another set somewhere else in the house.

* When subscribed to this service from your local phone company. -lol-

>>> Remember all video out is only on in 480i mode on this product. 480i is not considered an HD resolution.

>>> The following are the only popular channels that icon / station logos need to be added soon, hopefully the remaining missing will be added in a timely fashion. See post #28.

78 - HDNet Movies
91 - Showtime HD
224 - TV Guide
284 - The Science Channel
286 - Discovery Home
302 - Nicktoons