LG 3200A / Sony HD-300 / Hughes HTL-HD - 2.0 Upgrade - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I don't know...

My box locked up and rebooted tonight (yes I'm on 2.0). I was channeling up between OTA stations when if froze. And you guessed it, as I'm sure you have all experienced, it would not accept any inputs. Since I knew what was happening, I just waited the minute until I got the wait screen and the "building channel list" screen came up.

Really weird thing was that only a portion of my hidden channels returned to the guide. All that did return were OTA, but not all the OTAs returned (if that makes sense). So it would seen that not all issues with this box have been resolved.

On a side note, the jury is still out for me on whether PQ is any better. I think in some cases, especially for OTA, it may actually be worse. One thing I did find however, is that the sound seems much crisper and cleaner.

Well, one reboot so far....back to update my hidden channels list (again).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 05:38 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For folks that didn't get the upgrade last but even though it was schedule, di dyou leave the receiver tuned to a channel that's on the 101 satellite or was it tuned to something else? My HD300 said it was to get the upgrade last night but no joy, the upgrade screen this afternoon even still said it should have happened on 5/12 at 4:14. Up to that time it was tuned to a HD channel on 119, as soon as I tuned to a channel on 101 the upgrade box changed to say I would get he upgrade tonight. I'm hoping that not being on 101 was the problem and I'll get the upgrade tonight.
post #183 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by chkelly
i am scheduled to receive the update in 8 hours, but i cant change channels!!!! What do i have to do, just leave it on??? I dont understand why it cant do the update right now..

Because the updated code isn't being transmitted through the data stream "right now". DirecTV reserves the transmissions to the time compatible with all time zones that'll least affect viewing. When the process starts, if a user doesn't answer "no" to the update query, it occurs automatically. If, for example, an owner was experiencing severe weather anywhere within 20 miles, it would be prudent NOT to take the update on that particular "evening".

It shouldn't hurt to turn the receiver "off", though I'm personally skeptical that it makes any difference. (The only thing different when the box is cycled "off" by the remote or on-box buttons is to suppress the video and audio outputs, and extinguish the flourescent display. Otherwise all circuits remain powered up and processing as usual. However, for those with boxes stuck at a partial download, I definitely wouldn't suggest doing a hard reboot. (That could be asking for additional trouble.) If it's stuck on one channel, OTA or satellite, leave the box alone. If any of you with functional receivers ARE scheduled for tonight's download, it might be prudent to tune a satellite channel, though, again, it shouldn't matter.

To recap:

If your box is stuck on a partial download, and you're thinking of a hard reboot, have your spouse or significant other tie you down for your own protection. (This might end up more entertaining than TV anyway...)

If your box is scheduled for tonight's download and is functioning normally, either turn if off or on as you desire. But if the weather at the appointed time in your zone is flakey, decline tonight's download to another day.

In all cases, explore the option of prayer.

Nachos 'n Suds - Breakfast of Champions!
post #184 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 06:18 PM

What is a channel that is on 101 so that I may tune to it to see if my download comes back?
post #185 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 06:33 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by chrisj1
What is a channel that is on 101 so that I may tune to it to see if my download comes back?

Basically any of the 'core' channels, CNN's, ESPN (non-HD), etc.
post #186 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 06:34 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Ray H
Hope you guys stuck at whatever percent completion finish your download tonight. If I'm right about your only having a partial software install in your receivers, it would be like trying to boot your computer with a partial install of the OS kernel. This was exactly what took a few DTC100s out of commission permanently several years ago during some firmware updates. Hint: since you were told by DirecTV's brainiac CSRs to unplug your receivers, and since DirecTV logs or otherwise records calls, if you can confirm through a call center supervisor that you were "following orders", that may be enough to obligate DirecTV to replace or repair (if possible) your receivers.

Yep I have a feeling we may be hosed.
We'll see what happens tomorrow.
On the bright side all of the other annoying problems like audio drops are gone. NOW THAT MY BOX IS LOCKED-UP.
post #187 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 06:56 PM

Am I hosed? I've been out of town the last couple of days. My HTL-HD was left on channel 88. I had the message box asking if I wanted to update the software update. I said yes, of course. Then it says the update will occur in something like 58000 seconds and the time keeps increasing. Should I just leave it alone, unplug it for 30 seconds, or what?

Brad
post #188 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 07:41 PM

I would leave it alone and see what happens with the next download in the AM.
post #189 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Montezuma58
Am I hosed? I've been out of town the last couple of days. My HTL-HD was left on channel 88. I had the message box asking if I wanted to update the software update. I said yes, of course. Then it says the update will occur in something like 58000 seconds and the time keeps increasing. Should I just leave it alone, unplug it for 30 seconds, or what?

Mine was doing the same. Both Sony and Direct said to reset it and wait and see what happens tomorrow.
post #190 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I have a Sony SAT-HD300. I'm out of town and will be for several days. I have the unit powered off, but plugged in. I checked the software version screen before I left, and it showed that Version 2.0 was scheduled for the next morning. I don't remember for sure what channel I left it on, but I think it was 301.

With all this discussion, I'm wondering what I'm going to find when I get home. A successfully updated unit, a message asking if I want to update, a partial download that quit, or ???
post #191 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 08:23 PM

Thanks STEVENSHS. That was my suspicion. I think resetting it is probably the way to go. I'm sure what happened was that the software people did not anticipate what would happen when somebody acknowledges the update after the update has been sent. As it is now, my gut feeling is that it will wait indefinitely for something that has already happened. It's in a goofy, unanticipated state I don't think will fix itself.

Brad
post #192 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Sony is getting blackouts/audio dropouts every 25 secs or less, comes and goes. This is with 2.0!
post #193 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Montezuma58

That's what mine says too. What's the verdict--wait till morning and see what happens or reset. I'm not sure I like the counting up thing.

Dave
post #194 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 08:42 PM

I had mine tuned to a local cable channel, I did not even know the update was coming yet and the update worked flawlessly, between the custom guide working, scrolling thru the locals channels #2-73 now works properly, (before you would have to page down or it would not go), also it would only scroll maybe 3 channels at a time, now its like a brand new receiver. Boy am I glad I overcame my temper to not destroy this thing months ago!
post #195 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reset it Dave.. I did and now the upgrade is scheduled again for tonight.
post #196 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Phod
Reset it Dave.. I did and now the upgrade is scheduled again for tonight.

I reset, but I don't see the upgrade sceduled anyplace. What should I be looking for?

Dave
post #197 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Go to the menu, system, then system upgrade. It should say in the next upgrade box. Even if nothing is there, you will probably still get the upgrade tonight at 4:14 eastern.

I'm crossing fingers for myself too.
post #198 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am still getting dropouts in SFO on OTA, listening to NBC.
DD 2.0. Dropouts every five minutes or so
post #199 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 10:32 PM

My box was off and I was out when the upgrade happened. I didn't even know it was coming. I noticed was the audio not dropping out between switching to and from the guide and checked the menu and 2.00 was there.
post #200 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Stumbled across my 2.0 upgrade today (5/12 Wed) when D* screwed up my local channels. They couldn't restore my original local channels, and had accidentally moved them to Georgia. Short story, I volunteered to do a NVRAM setup to reset the box to factory settings (they were going to send me a new card instead).

New locals were successfully pushed, and I immediately saw the new results. Some observations:

- no audio drop out when selecting guide
- guide stays to what was chosen - e.g., custom, all - THANK GOD for this!
- did not notice any improvement in PQ
- did not notice any increases in signal strength - my test on this, is that I only get a single channel with my OTA antenna, and it sometimes goes in/out. After having scanned channels, it only picked up this single channel and no other OTA channels (which is what I had previously) - and yes, I do get intermittent outages on this single channel

What I would love:
- be able to control my receiver with the volume buttons on the outside instead of flipping up the cover and using those buttons (keep dreaming I guess)
- CID on the TV?

Thanks guys
post #201 of 843 Old 05-12-2004, 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tivoboy
I am still getting dropouts in SFO on OTA, listening to NBC.
DD 2.0. Dropouts every five minutes or so

tivoboy - If you haven't already done so, you may want to try posting in the "Local HDTV Info and Reception" forum to see if others are having problems with dropouts on that specific channel. They you can narrow it down to the source or the receiver.

I don't spend a lot of time in that forum, but I remember seeing a lot of helpful threads regarding local reception - especially for those in the SF bay area.

Good luck!

-chris
post #202 of 843 Old 05-13-2004, 12:21 AM

My htl took the update last night. For what it's worth, the box was off and the last channel it was on was 206, espn. I'd have to say though, both sd and hd channels look a little crisper, but then again it could have been a good night for directv.
post #203 of 843 Old 05-13-2004, 01:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Well, 2.0 didn't do anything to deal with the HDCP problems (the Sony and it's underlying LG implementation won't work correctly with an HDCP/DVI enabled scaler, because it always enables encryption even when it shouldn't.) I didn't expect it really, but one can always hope. Now I have to consider whether to send this box back and try for something else.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #204 of 843 Old 05-13-2004, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My box was off, front display said download. When display went blank I checked. It had 2.0.
post #205 of 843 Old 05-13-2004, 02:44 AM

Hi!

OK, nothing again. This time I left it on channel 101 and then turned it off before the scheduled time. I checked now and nothing happened. Currently it's still saying 1.06 and that the upgrade is scheduled for the past (about 30 minutes ago, 1:14).

I'm at a complete loss as to why it didn't get it this time. Tomorrow I'll try again with it on, but I wonder if it will make any difference.
post #206 of 843 Old 05-13-2004, 02:52 AM

It took today! Yesterday all I got was the coundown clock today I am at 2.0
post #207 of 843 Old 05-13-2004, 02:55 AM

Yesterday all I got was the countdown clock today I have 2.0
post #208 of 843 Old 05-13-2004, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Well, over 24 hours later, my HD300 still says download on the front screen and is still asking me to unplug for 30 seconds on the TV

Gee, I guess the T2 CSR was wrong, the D* fairies did not descend from the heavens and fix my locked up box.......

Didn't I already say enough?
Moderated Atlanta DTV User Group
post #209 of 843 Old 05-13-2004, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thepicman
Well, over 24 hours later, my HD300 still says download on the front screen and is still asking me to unplug for 30 seconds on the TV

Gee, I guess the T2 CSR was wrong, the D* fairies did not descend from the heavens and fix my locked up box.......

Yep, Same with mine. When I turned on the TV this morning I had a screen full of green blocks. Did yours look the same?
I spoke with D* extended tech support today. They offered no help other than to "wait for a few more downloads and maybe call Sony". Great advice thanks.
Anyone interested in a $700.00 door stop?
post #210 of 843 Old 05-13-2004, 06:51 AM

I actually woke up at 4:13AM by luck, and ran downstairs to find my unit downloading the code at 4:14AM. So, it was a day late, but I received 2.0 - the only difference yesterday vs. the day before was that I was tuned to a DirecTV channel instead of an OTA channel. Then again, since at least one person received it while tuned OTA, maybe DTV is staggering these updates but not the messages.

Jose R. Perez
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page