Voom HD Movies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-25-2004, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was just wondering the quality of the Voom Movie channels(channels 100-129)... They are mostly movies from the 60's and 70's, how can the quality be HD? Are they just remastered?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-26-2004, 02:20 AM

All you have to do (to do it right) is get the old film stock out of storage and make a new HD copy without using the Pan and Scan cropping.

HDNet showed the 60's Valley of the Dolls last night. They have also shown old John Wayne and Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movies to name a few. Clearly, they had to go to the vaults to get HD copies of these films.

Considering possible film degradation, it wouldn't suprise me if many studios made copies of at least some of their classics in the 80s when it looked as if analog HDTV would be broadcasting in the US by 1989.

However, tape also had a major problem in the mid-80s where the new formulations EPA friendly formulations literally flacked off the back after several years on all brands - which has caused massive problems since that time.

Just as people stated a certain life for film, tape or CD's, the truth is, that's a best case scenario.

But to answer your questions, they go to the original film print and make a new video master.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-26-2004, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

so the quality is good but not as good as something more recent because of possible degradation with the original reel?
post #4 of 9 Old 05-26-2004, 11:51 AM

I have not watched old movies on Voom, thus trying to fill in as many of your questions as I could as no one else had responded.

It all begins with the source material. It's the reason audio recordings produced by Quincy Jones in the mid-70s sound 10 years ahead of their times.

There are films that look crappy from the 80s - and there are films that look incredible from the 60s.

With enough time and money anything can be cleaned up reasonably well via computer, but for most studios, this isn't where they are going to put their money and there would be considerable debate even if they did. Remember colorization of black and white movies?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-26-2004, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vivid
I was just wondering the quality of the Voom Movie channels(channels 100-129)... They are mostly movies from the 60's and 70's, how can the quality be HD? Are they just remastered?

thanks
I tried Voom for several weeks. The quality of their Cinema 10 features was exceptionally good IMO. The content was weak though. I'm not sure what criteria they used when choosing HD material. What they call "classics" are really kinda hokey. Acting was pretty bad in the sixties and forty year old effects can't be called special anymore. Story lines are pretty lame too. Imagine Burt Lancaster playing a pirate in red tights or Shirley McLaine as a French prostitute and you get the picture.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2004, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Vooms Monster HD channel is really good. I watch it often. Some real cheesy Sc-fi monster movies at times. They did show the Day of the Dead series, The Evil Dead also..
post #7 of 9 Old 05-26-2004, 04:10 PM

PQ is excellent in all VOOM exclusive channels. All broadcast HD content 24/7 I personally don't watch a lot of Cinema 10 movies because I subscribe to all premium channels. But occasionally I find a favory movie. For example, the other day I watched "Mississipi Burning" and it was superb.
My favorite VOOM exclusive channels are: HDNews, RushHD, RaveHD and WorldSportsHD.

Joe
For more HD there's DishNetwork, for everything else there's MasterCard
post #8 of 9 Old 05-27-2004, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Somehow I would think that a transfer or two would slip through and get shown and reveal to be bad. This isn't something specific to Voom, but to anyone showing them. YMMV.

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-27-2004, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by vivid
They are mostly movies from the 60's and 70's, how can the quality be HD? Are they just remastered?
Film has higher resolution than HDTV. Any film, regardless of age, can be converted to HDTV at full resolution. The only real factor is the physical quality of the original film.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page