CableCARD Tested! Golly Gee, It Really Works! Here's My Experience, Post Yours Here - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #721 of 748 Old 01-08-2006, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
Some TVs support PIP/Split-Screen from separate input sources... so this may be possible but needs to be verified with the specific make/model being considered.

I have a Samsung HL-R series DLP (1 week old). It does support individual source PIP so I should be able to use both CableCard and Component imputs to acheive PIP.

Thanks for the response fellas!

You ain't lackn' if you're Cadillacn'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 748 Old 02-15-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjoe
Well now my CC is acting up on a regular basis. It's also stuck on ch. 3 and acquiring channels.

Let's see... The TV has not changed any parameters via firmware upgrade or system settings so it's got to be the damn cable guys on their end. I am sure losing revenue is motive enough for them to play games like this.
Yup every cable company accross the U.S. is having problems with Mitshubishi and Toshiba TV's, but well all know its just a game. Get real. I haven't gotten a single Toshiba TV to work at all with a CC. This is after spending hours on the phone with Toshiba's head on Cable Cards. Mitshubishi just keeps giving people the run around. You need the newer firmware on the CC itself. Nope sorry that didn't work either.

I'm sorry, but cable companies are doing their best on this technology. I've had no problems installing cards on Sharps, LG, Samsung, or Sony TV's. So I guess we are just picking on those who have Mitshubishi and Toshiba TV's. Get real. There are problems with those two brands and we have had problems from the begining of rolling out the cards.
post #723 of 748 Old 02-15-2006, 01:18 PM

Since I got my firmware update 4.04 for my mits wd52525 my cable card has been fine. I have had the CC for over a year.
post #724 of 748 Old 02-16-2006, 09:02 AM

Hi, my girlfriend just got a Sony KDL-V40XBR1 from bestbuy and wideopenwest just came over to hook up the cable. I told her to get a CableCard for regular viewing/HD/cable and a digital STB for her Tivo.

Unfortunately, the CableCard doesn't seem to be working correctly. I only briefly spoke with her on the phone while the cable guy was there, but he said #1 she doesn't need the additional STB for her Tivo (I disagree because there is no way to output from the CableCard into the Tivo), and #2 that the CableCard won't work correctly until Sony comes out and updates the TV firmware. He said that this happens a lot with new TV's... that the TV firmware needs an update from the mfg for it to work with the CableCard. The cable guy left saying that the card is activated and receiving analog channels just fine, so once the firmware is updated, HD and digital will begin working without the need for another visit.

I have looked on these forums and others, but I can't find anyone who has had problems with getting CC's to work on this Sony XBR LCD. All that I have found is that Sony is one of only a few brands that should not have problems with CC's. Any thoughts? Should I call Sony and have them come out to upgrade the firmware? How much does that sort of thing cost?
post #725 of 748 Old 02-16-2006, 09:19 AM

they should be able to just send you the update and then you just plug the card usually a card like sd or compact flash. that's it. It shouldn't cost you a nickle.
With mits they send you a compact flash card plug it in and a few minutes later you are good to go.
post #726 of 748 Old 02-16-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjr92
they should be able to just send you the update and then you just plug the card usually a card like sd or compact flash. that's it. It shouldn't cost you a nickle.
With mits they send you a compact flash card plug it in and a few minutes later you are good to go.
thanks for the reply... that sounds pretty easy, however, i dont tihnk there is a card reader like that on this tv.. from sony.com:

Code:
• Inputs and Outputs
• Audio In: 6 (1 Front/5 Rear)
• Audio Out (Variable/Fixed): 1 (Rear)
• CableCARD™ Slot: 1 (Rear)
• Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s): 3 (1 Front/2 Rear) 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
• Composite Video Input(s): 3 (1 Front/2 Rear)
• Digital Audio Output(s): Dolby® Digital Optical Output - 1 (Rear)
• HDMI1 Connection Input(s): 1 (Rear) with Analog Audio
• RF Connection Input(s): 2 (Rear)
• S-Video Input(s): 1 (Rear)
• Headphone Output(s): 1 (Front)
• PC Audio Input(s): 1 (Rear)
• PC Video Input(s): 1 (Rear)
• USB Port(s): 1 (Front) - Digital Camera Port USB 2.0 High Speed2
there is a USB port.. so can i connect a usb card reader to the tv?
post #727 of 748 Old 02-16-2006, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you do indeed need an update to your set, it could be provided by either a USB storage dongle or possibly the cc slot itself.
post #728 of 748 Old 02-16-2006, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Looks like another one of my cards took a dive tonight. I was flipping through channels and as soon as I got to INHD1 the screen went black and the remote didn't respond. It finally came back a few seconds later but I was missing channels. I did a reset of the card and now I get 0 channels. Sigh....
post #729 of 748 Old 02-17-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster
If you do indeed need an update to your set, it could be provided by either a USB storage dongle or possibly the cc slot itself.
ok.. i talked to sony and i talked to my cable company. sony suggested that the cable co come out again and try many different cards.. at least some different brands. so they are doing that today.. if that fails, then sony will come out and service the tv for free, including the firmware upgrade.
post #730 of 748 Old 02-17-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl
ok.. i talked to sony and i talked to my cable company. sony suggested that the cable co come out again and try many different cards.. at least some different brands. so they are doing that today.. if that fails, then sony will come out and service the tv for free, including the firmware upgrade.
Don't they have an option for you to download the firmware from their website? That's how my Philips works - I download the firmware from their support site, copy it to a USB memory drive, plug the drive into the tv, tv detects the firmware and automatically does the upgrade. I'd be surprised if Sony doesn't have something similar.
post #731 of 748 Old 02-17-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austerville
Don't they have an option for you to download the firmware from their website? That's how my Philips works - I download the firmware from their support site, copy it to a USB memory drive, plug the drive into the tv, tv detects the firmware and automatically does the upgrade. I'd be surprised if Sony doesn't have something similar.
i didnt ask that specifically.. but i read through the tv's manual, and it specifically says the usb port is to read pictures from sony digital cameras. maybe just a generic usb storage device wont work... who knows. if i have to call sony back to schedule an appointment for a service call, i'll ask and report back.
post #732 of 748 Old 02-17-2006, 11:25 AM

I'd be interested to hear what you find out. It would just be like Sony to make their USB stuff proprietory.
It looks like they do allow firmware download from their webite. Here's what I found for your tv

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-li...teType=Updates
post #733 of 748 Old 02-17-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austerville
I'd be interested to hear what you find out. It would just be like Sony to make their USB stuff proprietory.
It looks like they do allow firmware download from their webite. Here's what I found for your tv

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-li...teType=Updates
I wish they did this for their DVRs. I got a DHG-HDD500 (500GB Sony DVR w/ CableCARD and OTA tuner.) It's got the original firmware which puts the HDMI in Auto HDMI mode, which outputs the SD material in a streched mode. This happens every time you turn the device on. It's got to auto shut off in the middle of the night to download the friggin TV Guide. Not to mention the original software doesn't support the TV Guide over ATSC (only NTSC) so when the digital switch off occurs, you'd have no guide.

Back to the original thread topic. CableCARD experience on the PVR was a bit of a pain but not to bad. Power Off, Insert CARD, Power ON, Wait for channels to be rescanned, Call Cable Company, provide info. The scheduled the time frame that a hit would be sent. Hit comes, still no encrypted channels. Call them up, they claim it's active. I explain I see none of the encyrpted channels. Proceed with flipping to a dozen channels that encrypted and not encyrpted to prove to the guy on the phone that it's not working. Guy says, Uhh, must have a bad card, try another. I'm hard headed and told them to resend the hit, they claim the tried (I don't think the actually did.)

I decide to do so more research and find the a couple people in my TWC area have the unit, have the same Mot CableCARDs, same firmware and everything worked. So I call again, they once again scheduled a time, but asked me if I got a new card. I told them that I checked the CableCARD menus and it's indicating that the decryption was not activated, and I wanted to try again because other people with this box, the same firmware, on their system has it working. They agreed after I raised a bit of hell. Scheduled a time, and sure enough this time it activated the decryption.

It should not have take this kind of effort, and many people would have been swapping out cards needlessly until the got a tech to setup the friggin hit, being sent out, correctly.

CCourtney
post #734 of 748 Old 02-17-2006, 01:57 PM

I just had this exact same issue two days ago. I replaced my tv and inserted the cable card, but since the cable card was not authorized for that tv (even though it was a replacement of the exact same tv) I had to call up Comcast and ask them to hit the card again so that it will be authorized for that tv. The CSR argued with me and insisted that I needed to have a tech come over to replace the card. 3 days later the tech shows up, with no cablecard. He said that he wasn't told that I needed a card and he didn't have any in his truck (don't know what he thought he was coming to do). Anyway I explained the situation to him and ask him to call "his" support (not the clueless CSR's that we have to deal with) and they sent down a hit, which activated the card, but only for unencrypted channels. She made some changes on her end and sent down another hit. After the 3rd time the card was activated for the other channels (including HD) and everything was fine. There was no need for the tech to come over at all.
Part of the problem is that the technology is fairly new and the customer base that has the cards is pretty small, so the CSR's are not used to dealing with this hardware. Hopefully things will improve as the cablecard goes more mainstream.
post #735 of 748 Old 02-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
the only device that worked first time for me with a Cablecard was the Sony DHG-DDR500 :)

but I could not get the TV Guide to download and had to retun it :o

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #736 of 748 Old 02-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I am hearing that the first generation of Cablecards is so problematic that support for them: both by the cablecos and the display manufacturers, is weakening:

it is a shame but it looks like the cablecos may have won the first round of the Cablecard wars by effectively killing them off

Hopefully the two way cards will do better

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #737 of 748 Old 02-17-2006, 02:42 PM

well, the installer came by with a new cablecard and it worked. so i wont have to find out how sony upgrades tv firmware... at least not yet
post #738 of 748 Old 02-21-2006, 04:41 PM

Panasonic Plasma -- Cable Card -- TWC Austin, TX

When first installed the cable card worked flawlessly. This was a week before Thanksgiving. Right after the first of the year, things started acting up. The channel information that normally appears when changing channels began to appear without input from me. Every few seconds, then 20 minutes or so. I thought it might be the remote, so I removed the batteries. Same thing. The signal strength has been checked and is at the proper db level. TWC said it could be the CC going bad. Tech showed up to swap out the card and the one he brought with him was bad. Put the original in and the problem's back. Am told that all of the cable cards in TWC inventories are not new in the box and I cannot get a new one. Also am told the cards are going to be phased out eventually because of the problems with them, the inability to troubleshoot them and changes in the way TWC is delivering programming to the home. It was suggested that I use a STB instead.

I am very disappointed in the way TWC in this area is dealing with CC issues. Also disappointed that the cards are being phased out. I've also read that the 2-way cards are still a ways off and that the first generation sets will not be compatable with them when they become available. :( :mad:
post #739 of 748 Old 02-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

ole-coot:
Look into verizon Fios (fiber optic service). They list service down in TX. I have been waiting for them to finish in my area of NJ for internet service.
I have been using it for 2 weeks now for internet and it is great. Tech's response when asked about the video portion of Fios was that they are making sure they cover all legal aspects. Don't want to get Cablevision mad. Sounds like cablevision is afraid and has allready taken them to court.
post #740 of 748 Old 02-22-2006, 06:57 AM

Liked: 16
Comcast installed a CableCARD in my HP LC2600N LCD TV this week. So far it's working well. Installation took about 20 minutes, the majority of which was the installer waiting in a queue for the person at the office to answer their call. (Comcast doesn't offer self-install of CCs in my area yet.)

Tony
post #741 of 748 Old 02-22-2006, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiscus
ole-coot:
Look into verizon Fios (fiber optic service). They list service down in TX. I have been waiting for them to finish in my area of NJ for internet service.
I have been using it for 2 weeks now for internet and it is great. Tech's response when asked about the video portion of Fios was that they are making sure they cover all legal aspects. Don't want to get Cablevision mad. Sounds like cablevision is afraid and has allready taken them to court.
I have yet to hear of any cablecard installation with FIOS.
post #742 of 748 Old 02-22-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster
I have yet to hear of any cablecard installation with FIOS.
Verison is not in my neighborhood, unfortunately and I really don't see them spending the $$$ to come in. I would like to see an alternative, other than a dish, to TWC. I'd jump ship in a minute. ....

By the way, it took roughly 24 hrs to download all of the TWC information to the CC.
post #743 of 748 Old 02-22-2006, 05:27 PM

Liked: 12
I switched from TW RR to Verizon DSL and I'm glad I did. If they bring FIOS into my area (smAlbany NY) with CableCARD support... I'll give it a whirl.
post #744 of 748 Old 02-23-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Had a cable card installed in my Sony XS955 a couple of weeks ago and everything works fine. No problems. The only downfall is that there is not a chanell guide.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #745 of 748 Old 02-24-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KScableguy
Yup every cable company accross the U.S. is having problems with Mitshubishi and Toshiba TV's, but well all know its just a game. Get real. I haven't gotten a single Toshiba TV to work at all with a CC. This is after spending hours on the phone with Toshiba's head on Cable Cards. Mitshubishi just keeps giving people the run around. You need the newer firmware on the CC itself. Nope sorry that didn't work either.

I'm sorry, but cable companies are doing their best on this technology. I've had no problems installing cards on Sharps, LG, Samsung, or Sony TV's. So I guess we are just picking on those who have Mitshubishi and Toshiba TV's. Get real. There are problems with those two brands and we have had problems from the begining of rolling out the cards.
You are correct. I now believe the CC issue is on Toshiba's end and not my cable company. Toshiba has yet another new firmware update (1.3.1) and they say it is specifically for the CC issues.

Mine should arrive this week and I hope it works.
post #746 of 748 Old 02-25-2006, 06:50 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KScableguy

For months the customer (not) service reps at Panasonic had me believing the digital sound drop-out that occurs on my 50PX50U w/CableCARD was being caused by Time Warner. Come to find out... Panasonic over-enforces the OCAP 1.0 spec. and they were "********ting" me all along.

Panasonic doesn't seem to care about addressing this issue and is in no hurry to update their firmware to fix the problem. It looks as if I'll be buying that 65" 1080p PDP from Pioneer instead.
post #747 of 748 Old 02-26-2006, 01:39 PM

In regard to either of these models (Sony KDF-E42A10 or KDF-E50A10), are there any cable card problems that anyone is experiencing? Not sure which model I will end up with, but my cable company is Comcast of SE Michigan.
post #748 of 748 Old 03-04-2006, 12:43 AM

I had Comcast put a cable card in my Sony 40" LCD. The installer spent about an hour on it, but it worked fine. A week later, I was notified by Sony that a firmware update was necessary. when I signed up for the update on their website, they sent me a 64k USB dongle with the new firmware. I plugged it in, waited about a minute, then restarted the TV.

I haven't had any problems with the cable card. I only use it to get the OTA HD channels that Comcast carries. But, I also get the digital music and FM channels, and Encore Movieplex. It's an extra $5 a month, but watching CSI and 24 in HD makes it all worthwhile!
Closed Thread HDTV Technical