CableCARD Tested! Golly Gee, It Really Works! Here's My Experience, Post Yours Here - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 748 Old 07-22-2004, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by NVboy
"No channel label yet." Does that mean you can type in a normal channel assignment, such as 224, and it will display that channel minus the channel label(DISC, etc)? Or does it mean that you don't have the proper channel assignments, like myself, such as 88-4 is really 142?

Also, if you go into the menu & the cablecard info screen, does it say something like "able to receive all digital channels" or something else that indicates your card is working properly? My info screen says the cablecard is there, no digital channels are available & for me to contact the cable company(also Comcast).
The channel assignment is identical to the published line-up. For example channel 197 is HBO HD on both the Panny tuner and the Moto STB.

You can, of course, type in the labels manually, but it would be quite a bit of work.

When I go into the Setup menu for the CableCard, it says that channels are available.

I have also lost the previous mapping. For instance 99-2 used to be PBS HD, and now it is not a valid channel. Perhaps if I unplug the cablecard, the old assignment would return. BTW, it's a Motorola CableCard.

CLau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 748 Old 07-22-2004, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clau
The channel assignment is identical to the published line-up. For example channel 197 is HBO HD on both the Panny tuner and the Moto STB.

You can, of course, type in the labels manually, but it would be quite a bit of work.

When I go into the Setup menu for the CableCard, it says that channels are available.

I have also lost the previous mapping. For instance 99-2 used to be PBS HD, and now it is not a valid channel. Perhaps if I unplug the cablecard, the old assignment would return. BTW, it's a Motorola CableCard.
The old assignments, such as the xx-x channels, will not function at all. The cablecard does the mapping of those channels and changes them to the published digital channels. Sounds like you got lucky, aside from not having channel labels. I'm glad to hear that someone else is having some type of problem. I just hope that this spurns on Comcast to find the errors and get them fixed. Soon!

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #93 of 748 Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just thought of a question. If I get the new Toshiba DLP in october that has cable card, how do I get surround sound since I won't have a cable box? With the new cablecard tvs does the dolby 5.1 signal come through the RF cable into the tv and then the tv passes it through an output to the receiver? I imagine that's the way it would work which sounds pretty sweet.

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #94 of 748 Old 07-22-2004, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NVboy
The update only corrects an audio & CC problem & it is only for 4 of their CRT sets:

This firmware update addresses the following issues:

- Functionality issues with the optical digital audio output

- Closed caption decoder errors when connected to an Open Cable® cable system

Models affected: PT-47WXD63, PT-53WXD63, PT-53TWD63, PT-56TWD63
At least those are the published issues...
post #95 of 748 Old 07-22-2004, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvdguru
Just thought of a question. If I get the new Toshiba DLP in october that has cable card, how do I get surround sound since I won't have a cable box? With the new cablecard tvs does the dolby 5.1 signal come through the RF cable into the tv and then the tv passes it through an output to the receiver? I imagine that's the way it would work which sounds pretty sweet.
I assume the DLP you are talking about with cablecard has a built-in ATSC tuner. There should be an optical audio output on the tv itself.

post #96 of 748 Old 07-30-2004, 04:44 PM

Has anyone had success using the SA Powerkey with a Sony KD34XBR960 or other Sony set. My cable company (Comcast - Central NJ) has been trying to get it to work for three days with no succes. The last try was one of Comcast's main engineers, myself and a SA engineer in Atlanta on coference call. I gotta say their making on honest effort to try and make it work. On Monday the SA engineer is going to contact Sony about compatibility with their cards.
post #97 of 748 Old 07-30-2004, 05:43 PM

Yes, I've had success with my XBR960 and SA CableCARD, but I am nnot in New Jersey (sunny CA over here).

Your Cable operator may not have upgraded their headend to fully support CableCARD with all types of TVs...I heard that since Panasonic was the first TV to develop CableCARD support, changes were made to the spec that other manufacturers later adapoted (like Sony).

Those changes, however, require the Cable operator to update their headend with a service pack. If they don't install those, only the Panasonic will work.

Originally, my XBR960 would not get authorized with their SA card....then a couple weeks later they came back and tried again and it worked. I asked what happened, and the installer said they upgraded their headend "DNCS" to service pack 2.
post #98 of 748 Old 07-30-2004, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jayzee54

Those changes, however, require the Cable operator to update their headend with a service pack. If they don't install those, only the Panasonic will work.
Except that it doesn't work properly with my Panasonic.

post #99 of 748 Old 07-31-2004, 11:35 AM

Here is my current CableCARD situation. Very frustrating.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...17#post4132217
post #100 of 748 Old 08-04-2004, 03:48 PM

My CableCARD is now up and running. I am sure that I was the first CableCARD installation in my area. No one knew anything about them.

Installations will surely get easier with experience.

OBTW, I do see impoved picture quality CableCARD vs STB.
post #101 of 748 Old 08-05-2004, 07:17 AM

I called my local cable provider (MIdcontinent) about picking up a Cablecard for my new Mits 52525. They said "a what?" even though their main website has been promoting and saying that cablecard has been available for over two months. The call ended with their customer support taking my phone number and saying they will call me back... 2 days ago. sigh
post #102 of 748 Old 08-05-2004, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hongcho
> How does a stand alone TiVo get is IPG data? If it via phone line or cable?

Phone.
Actually, a better answer is, "It depends." SA Series 1 TiVos are phone line only, unless they are modified to add a networking card, in which case they can get their data over broadband. This is very easy to do (no hacking necessary) and costs less than $100. SA Series 2 TiVos can do either out of the box. No modification necessary.

Quote:

> I'm really curious as to how this will really work. [on OpenCable HD Tivo]

We'll see what develops. The only thing is whether TiVo would go ahead with it even if no cable company picked it up as a rental. It would be tough to compete with a rental unit even if it comes with better usability.
You know, I hear this argument a lot. I can understand it when it comes from the general, uninformed public. But this is an A/V gear-head forum. People here spend between $5k to $250k on their A/V gear. Why would any of "us" pay their cableco an extra $7-12/month for box rental when we could just buy a unit outright for $100 (current cost for a refurb TiVo)? Of course, you say, there is a monthly TiVo fee. I agree, we'll call that a wash with the cable rental fee. That means the difference between owning the Lexus of PVRs, instead of renting the Hyundai is $100.

Of course, the new DirectTV HDTiVo is not that cheap, nor will the SA CableCARD HDTiVo be when it finally comes out. But those of us who are early adopters, love technology, and want our equipment to actually work, won't mind paying the additional money.

----------------------

Anyway, back on topic. After 4 days and a total of 8 hours on-hold with five different CSRs and one supervisor from TWC in Houston, the CableCARD in my Mits WD-62525 is still not working. As of last evening, they did finally get their system to show the card as "activated" instead of "disabled". I am now getting the correct channel guide, but still no digital stations. I occasionaly get a burst of garbled audio when tuned to certain digital channels, but no video on any of them. They now think it is a signal strength issue, even though my STB works fine. Oh well, they are going to schedule a tech to come out and see if he can't do something about that.

Now that I have been escalated and am talking to a supervisor, I feel much better about the whole thing. I was starting to get VERY frustrated talking to so many different CSRs and explaining to them what a CableCARD is and how it is supposed to work.
post #103 of 748 Old 08-05-2004, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

OT...

> You know, I hear this argument a lot. I can understand it when it comes from the general, uninformed public. But this is an A/V gear-head forum.

Because most people are not "A/V hear-head". :p I was talking more in terms of general public, not us because at the end the general public matters more to most businesses. (BTW, I have that "not too cheap" HR10-250. :p)

Anyway, good luck with CableCARD. I am very much interested in what develops there.

Hong.

i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe
post #104 of 748 Old 08-06-2004, 09:01 AM

Don't feel bad. I'm on day 10 with Scientific Atlanta and Comcast trying to get a CableCARD to work. They can't get the card to show "ACTIVATED". So for now I'm getting analog and the network HD cnannels. No other digital channels.[quote]
post #105 of 748 Old 08-07-2004, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVFanAtic
Check several pages back. Bradenton is part of the Brighthouse Pinellas/Manatee County feed. They have them and have one installed in Bradenton!!!! and another to be installed next week on a Panasonic in Pinellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let us know how your installation went!

My Mits 62525 should be in around August 15th and I plan to use Bright House's CableCard. I'm also in Pinellas county.

I called Bright House to see what was required and found that none of the Mits sets were listed in their CableCard database. I hope that doesn't cause any "political" problems.

-jb
post #106 of 748 Old 08-07-2004, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 459
I think that what's keeping TiVo back from releasing a CableCARD unit is the competition. You can lease an HD PVR from many cable providers today, and whereas they don't measure up to TiVo feature-wise, non-TiVo users wont know what they're missing, or care. In the Fall, Sony and a couple of other major CE OEMs are releasing CableCARD HD PVRs; several of Mitsubishi's 2004-2005 line of televisions have 120GB PVRs with CableCARD tuners built-in.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #107 of 748 Old 08-10-2004, 07:26 PM

I have a CableCard installation (Cox - San Diego) scheduled for Wed AM (8/11) for a Sony KD-34XBR960. Anything in particular I should check on with the cable guy while he's at the house?

It sounds like the install will go smoothly. Apparently the local Cox San Diego CableCard team had the same set in-house to work with when they were testing out the CableCard (Sony's just up the road in Rancho Bernardo), so it sounds like they've had some experience with this exact setup on their system.
post #108 of 748 Old 08-11-2004, 11:58 AM

3 gentlemen from Cox came to perform the CableCard install - practically a party.

Cableguy 1 did the setup of the CableCard. The first thing he did was check out the signal strength. Said that since the wired connection to my house was new (the feed to the street was replaced a year or two ago) and because my in house RG-59 was of sufficient quality we should be OK there.

Next he looked at the signal strength through my existing cable box at the frequencies that they broadcast HDTV (the 700 series of channels) and decided that it was sufficient. They noted that I already had an amplifier - they could tell from the signal strength.

Then the cableguy removed the existing digital, but non-HDTV, box and installed the CableCard in the slot on the back of the KD-34XBR960. The CableCard itself is a computer laptop type PCMCIA card. They ran some channel scans for cable channels, and brought up the CableCard identifier.

Cableguy 1 had to chat a bit with someone back at the office to configure the card and authorize the channels.

And it's working. Not a lot of channels yet - but they're working on it. Getting most of the locals in SDTV (they broadcast HD in the evening), HBOHD, ShowHD, ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, etc.

No problems to speak of. The techs were up to speed on the subject at hand. Basically an easy process.
post #109 of 748 Old 08-11-2004, 10:20 PM

is cable card same as the smart card?
I've a digital STB (Pace 510) and it has a slot for "Smart Card".
I get local HD Channels (about 4 of them), but the others run thru the analog input of the tv.
Is there anyway I can get the rest of the HD broadcast without renting Comcast's hdtv box?
post #110 of 748 Old 08-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Keyser Sose said....

"OBTW, I do see impoved picture quality CableCARD vs STB."

Could you provide more specifics?
post #111 of 748 Old 08-12-2004, 02:33 PM

eganders

Do you know if the CableCARD was a scientific atlanta or motorola or other brand. I'm having problems with my KD-34XBR960 and the SA CableCARD.
post #112 of 748 Old 08-12-2004, 05:51 PM

I have a Cable Card story to relate. The TimeWarner (in Brooklyn) tech came to install it on Tuesday and knew basically nothing about it, although he was very willing to try. He tested the line and then split it, one to go to my SD DVR cable box and one to go to the RF Cable input of my KD-34XBR960. He put the card in, the TV saw it on the 2nd try and began to scan for channels. After a while, it found nothing. At this point, the tech has 2 cell phones going with people in different departments trying to figure out what was going on. It was then that he admitted that this was probably the first cable card install in Brooklyn and that none of them really were sure about how to do it.

We were able to find the MAC address of the card, but couldn't locate the screen with the Host ID number until someone back at HQ changed something. Once we found that number, the TV began to display some channels, but not all. I would say I get about 10% of the channels that I should be getting. I get most of the HD channels, but not HBO HD which we subscribed to. The TV's on-screen guide shows the missing channel's ID info (CNN or HBO HD for example) but I get no signal.

It seems that part of the problem is that the card did not have the opportunity to initialize correctly. It could not scan for stations until they could fully activate it, but they couldn't fully activate it until they had the Host ID number. To get to the Host ID number, the tech canceled the initialization process, because it was not finding any channels.

Oh, and it knocked out my cable modem. We were able to get it back hours later - they needed to add some code into their network to let it know that I have more than one MAC address coming from my location.

At this point, I've talked to 3 customer service reps and none of them can help. They keep referring me back to the woman in the Corporate office who is handling cable card for NYC. I was referred to her in the first place when I asked for a cable card installation and the CS rep didn't know what I was talking about. The woman in the corp. office basically told me to give it up and wait for them to put out HD DVR boxes. No help there. CS rep 4 made a new appointment for a tech to come out and replace the card. I doubt it will help. I am very disappointed with TimeWarner about this.

For the record, Discovery HD and PBS HD look great. The 10 or so DS channels I get look better on this TV than they do coming through the cable box. I have the Scientific Atlanta Cable Card (which is basically a PCMCIA type 2 card). On this TV, you can't do Twin View with in the signal from the cable card itself. It still needs another signal coming in (OAT or SD Cable Box) to do that.

If you are going to go for a Cable Card in Brooklyn, beware.
post #113 of 748 Old 08-12-2004, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by AVS_Forum_User

Call the woman back and ask who her supervisor is. Work your way up the ladder to someone who will help you.

You could mention they might be in violation of Federal Law by telling you to wait for a cable PVR; the whole point of CableCARD is not having to use cableco equipment.

You could also tell them you are considering filing an FCC complaint. After all, you have invested in an expensive piece of equipment, and there is no reason you shouldn't be able to use it. Be nice, but firm.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #114 of 748 Old 08-13-2004, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Call the woman back and ask who her supervisor is. Work your way up the ladder to someone who will help you.

You could mention they might be in violation of Federal Law by telling you to wait for a cable PVR; the whole point of CableCARD is not having to use cableco equipment.

You could also tell them you are considering filing an FCC complaint. After all, you have invested in an expensive piece of equipment, and there is no reason you shouldn't be able to use it. Be nice, but firm.
It's new technology; early adopters should expect problems and should try and be patient. Unless you're an OpenCable expert go easy on them.
post #115 of 748 Old 08-13-2004, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 459
But you also shouldn't let them just shrug their shoulders and say "Sorry--wish we could help you, but we can't."

As Ken points out, CFR Title 47, Part 76.640, paragraphs (b)(1) through (b)(3) inclusive, state that they have to provide Point of Deployment Cards (i.e. "CableCARDS") to their customers to enable their unidirectional devices and exactly what services those cards must provide. This is part of the Federal law governing their operation--they can't just give it a go and brush off their customers if it doesn't work. They have to make it work.

You shouldn't get all belligerent, but telling them that you're seeking recourse in a complaint to the FCC, and then following up on that, would be in order, if they keep brushing you off. Someone described how they got results by doing this in the HDTV Recorders Forum (see this thread).

If early adopters don't push at all, nothing will happen.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #116 of 748 Old 08-13-2004, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by dbrouda
It's new technology; early adopters should expect problems and should try and be patient.
My point is that if a cable rep tells you 'to wait for the cable HD PVR', there is a significant problem. After buying a new CableCARD HDTV, that response is completely unacceptable. Like I said, be nice but firm. It's their responsibility to figure it out.

Quote:
Unless you're an OpenCable expert go easy on them.
What does this have to do with anything? Why should I have to be a CableCARD expert? That's the job of the cableco, not me as a consumer.

Let me guess who you work for....

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #117 of 748 Old 08-13-2004, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AVS_Forum_User
I have a Cable Card story to relate. The TimeWarner (in Brooklyn) tech came to install it on Tuesday and knew basically nothing about it, although he was very willing to try. He tested the line and then split it, one to go to my SD DVR cable box and one to go to the RF Cable input of my KD-34XBR960. He put the card in, the TV saw it on the 2nd try and began to scan for channels. After a while, it found nothing. At this point, the tech has 2 cell phones going with people in different departments trying to figure out what was going on. It was then that he admitted that this was probably the first cable card install in Brooklyn and that none of them really were sure about how to do it.
When they did my install, the first tech noted the numbers (decals) on the CableCard itself and then plugged it in and scanned next. It found "nothing" and the second or third tech wanted to remove the CableCard and reseat it, but tech one said that that was exactly the right procedure, and not to mess with the card. Then tech one went to the Sony menus to check the addresses and then called the office to have it configured - So I guess the answer is, it's supposed to scan first, find nothing and then call the office and have it authenticated or authorized.

Quote:
We were able to find the MAC address of the card, but couldn't locate the screen with the Host ID number until someone back at HQ changed something. Once we found that number, the TV began to display some channels, but not all. I would say I get about 10% of the channels that I should be getting. I get most of the HD channels, but not HBO HD which we subscribed to. The TV's on-screen guide shows the missing channel's ID info (CNN or HBO HD for example) but I get no signal.
Yes when I was set up, first I received the SD and HD OTA channels via cable, and then someone back at the office had to configure HD Discovery, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, etc. channels, etc.

Quote:
It seems that part of the problem is that the card did not have the opportunity to initialize correctly. It could not scan for stations until they could fully activate it, but they couldn't fully activate it until they had the Host ID number. To get to the Host ID number, the tech canceled the initialization process, because it was not finding any channels.
The problem was he canceled the initialization process. He needs to let it run even though it's not finding anything.

Quote:
Oh, and it knocked out my cable modem. We were able to get it back hours later - they needed to add some code into their network to let it know that I have more than one MAC address coming from my location.

At this point, I've talked to 3 customer service reps and none of them can help. They keep referring me back to the woman in the Corporate office who is handling cable card for NYC. I was referred to her in the first place when I asked for a cable card installation and the CS rep didn't know what I was talking about. The woman in the corp. office basically told me to give it up and wait for them to put out HD DVR boxes. No help there. CS rep 4 made a new appointment for a tech to come out and replace the card. I doubt it will help. I am very disappointed with TimeWarner about this.

For the record, Discovery HD and PBS HD look great. The 10 or so DS channels I get look better on this TV than they do coming through the cable box. I have the Scientific Atlanta Cable Card (which is basically a PCMCIA type 2 card). On this TV, you can't do Twin View with in the signal from the cable card itself. It still needs another signal coming in (OAT or SD Cable Box) to do that.
They do look great, don't they.

Quote:
It sounds like your CableCard is setup fine, just that they need to configure you at the office. I don't know if they spoke with a "special" desk here to configure the channels beyond the original ones, but whatever, they got it done without problems.
post #118 of 748 Old 08-13-2004, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelggray
eganders

Do you know if the CableCARD was a scientific atlanta or motorola or other brand. I'm having problems with my KD-34XBR960 and the SA CableCARD.
I don't off the cuff, but I'll check and let you know. I believe the decals on the PCMCIA CableCard were blue???
post #119 of 748 Old 08-13-2004, 02:42 PM

AVS_Forum_User

What your getting is exactly what I'm getting with the SA card and my KD-XBR960 here with Comcast in Central NJ. They told me last that it was an issue that SA will have to work out with Sony. I'm not sure. Let me know if they get yours working properly or if you even get an 'AUTHORIZED' message.

If any body else has had luck with the Scientific Atlanta CableCARD and the Sony KD-34XBR960 please post the name of your cable company and the city your in. I posted this request on the Direct View Sets / Sony KD-34XBR960 thread and haven't gotten any responses. Maybe there is an issue that isn't the cable company's fault.
post #120 of 748 Old 08-13-2004, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
My point is that if a cable rep tells you 'to wait for the cable HD PVR', there is a significant problem. After buying a new CableCARD HDTV, that response is completely unacceptable. Like I said, be nice but firm. It's their responsibility to figure it out.

What does this have to do with anything? Why should I have to be a CableCARD expert? That's the job of the cableco, not me as a consumer.

Let me guess who you work for....
I agree that the rep saying to get a set-top is not acceptable. My point is that people should expect problems this early in the game, but there should be an expectation that those problems will be worked out in a professional manner.

If you are not getting results because the techs don't know what they are doing, calling the FCC is not going to help. However, calling the CableCARD vendor or requesting a conference call with the cable company and vendor may help a great deal.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page