D* Future HD Plans With New Satellites - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1196 Old 09-23-2004, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I have to say, I've been very skeptical of the rumors that said a new FSS sized dish was coming out that would include an LNB for 95°, but I notice in the description of that multiswtich, it mentions the ability to pick up that slot, as well as 72.5. Hmmm, if rumors of them using 95° ARE true, then they could indeed substantially increase their HD offering before ST is over, and before the new sats are up. Interesting, if nothing else.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1196 Old 09-23-2004, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

is there already a D* sat at 95?
post #183 of 1196 Old 09-23-2004, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

There's an FSS sat there. Currently, there's not much space available on it. A lot of its capacity is being used for DirecTV's Latin America satellite service. BUT, I think Newscorp already had a Latin America service before they bought DirecTV, and my understanding was that DirecTV's Latin service wasn't doing that well. If my understanding on these issues is correct, then it would certainly make sense for them to drop the Latin service, roll those customers into Newscorp's service (don't know if it's called Sky there or not), and make better use of that capacity. Solidsignal insinuated that 95 could be used for more local service, though the original rumor was that it was for more HD expansion. Honestly, I think more locals is more believable, since HD expansion is already coming with the new Ka sats. But who knows?

HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #184 of 1196 Old 09-23-2004, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So experts, does this mean we won't likely see networks like CNN, Cartoon Network, and Comedy Central in HD until 2007?

Why did CNN go ahead and purchase HD Cameras way back in 2002?

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #185 of 1196 Old 09-23-2004, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

DirecTV could provide those channels in HD before 2007 if they were available, but I certainly have no idea what the HD plans are for those networks. As to CNN, I dunno, but it seems like it would make sense to at least start getting footage in HD, even if they don't yet have the ability to broadcast it. Maybe they make their footage available to other networks with HD capability? Or maybe they're just looking forward, and getting their HD library started as soon as possible. How often do we look back at older content that was done in SD video and think "too bad that wasn't captured on film or HD Video"?

post #186 of 1196 Old 09-23-2004, 10:52 AM

Scott Greczkowski over at Satelliteguys.us has said that D* plans to launch international channels soon, that's another possible use of the 95 slot.

post #187 of 1196 Old 09-23-2004, 11:05 AM

Oh yes please, Boca Juniors football (soccer) from Argentina in HD!
post #188 of 1196 Old 09-27-2004, 11:56 AM

Just a point of clarification: Which company is d*, which I read as "dee-star" ?

I don't visit here often, and see that quite a bit. It reminds me of seeing DTV, which some people intend to mean DirecTV and some people intend to mean Over The Air Digital Television, as opposed to digital television with no capitals, which means, for instance, standard definition but digital transmission on cable or even DirecTV. Which some people call DTV....

I have seen D* before, and it always looks like someone wanted to write DirecTV but somehow did not want to take responsibility for ACTUALLY spelling it out! You know, like writing @$#%&*% ! ! ! !

Or is it Dish Network, spelled with the same excuse? Is it a modified abbreviation that derives from EchoStar? If it MEANS Echostar, why not E*?
post #189 of 1196 Old 09-27-2004, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HomeThtrLA
I have seen D* before, and it always looks like someone wanted to write DirecTV but somehow did not want to take responsibility for ACTUALLY spelling it out!
Yes, they mean DirecTV. Which people used to abbreviate as DTV, until digital television came out. Somehow, people figured that if E* meant Echostar and A* meant Alphastar and P* meant Primestar, then D* could mean DirecTV.

post #190 of 1196 Old 09-27-2004, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
special thanks to this forum for making me call it D* in real life by accident all the time. everybody always wants to know what the heck i am talking about. :)

Johnny
post #191 of 1196 Old 09-27-2004, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

E* makes sense for ECHOSTAR, but D* is just laziness.
post #192 of 1196 Old 09-27-2004, 01:11 PM

Before these last two posts, I thought I was just not "in." Now I see that my irritation with D*, no matter what it means, is based on a reasonably solid grasp of reality. At least with this one small topic.

Call it DirecTV, guys! We want our TV pictures to be clear. How about paying a little attention to the language as well?
post #193 of 1196 Old 09-27-2004, 01:11 PM

Before these last two posts, I thought I was just not "in." Now I see that my irritation with D*, no matter what it means, is based on a reasonably solid grasp of reality. At least with this one small topic.

Call it DirecTV, guys! We want our TV pictures to be clear. How about paying a little attention to the language as well?
post #194 of 1196 Old 09-27-2004, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

If you'll notice, this forum is filled with abbreviations. That's how it is for any area of specialization, doubly so in tech, triply so via the internet. It's doubtful people will stop. It's like asking people to stop using LOL. Although perhaps we could create a glossary of abbreviations or something.

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #195 of 1196 Old 09-27-2004, 04:15 PM

Actually there already is a glossary
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/glossary.php?ltr=A

post #196 of 1196 Old 09-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Toledo locals should be on today!

Here is a link to the new 95 degree dish and the 72.5 degree switches.
We are still building or packages (dish and switches).

But the dish and both switches are up!

Here is the link to the info section: http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/localmarket_01.asp

If you see any flaws, let me know!!!!!

SS@SolidSignal
post #197 of 1196 Old 09-28-2004, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Cedar Springs, IA should be Cedar Rapids, IA I am assuming. Also Travers City, MI should be Traverse City, MI. Just being a little nitpicky. :) Otherwise good work!
post #198 of 1196 Old 09-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

So, if you're currently in an FCC restricted county when it comes to locals, I wonder if this will change your fate at all.

I think it is extremely stupid to restrict folks in this way. We have one PUNY station here in town, 50 miles from Downtown KC, and therefore, we're supposedly "incapable" of picking up locals...not true, the feds just screw this county.
post #199 of 1196 Old 10-02-2004, 08:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Just don't call it DirectTV!

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #200 of 1196 Old 10-02-2004, 10:44 PM

Here in Midlothian Va., next to Richmond, I have had Comcast broadband.
I installed my DirecTV HD system 2 years ago and Comcast had no HD channels.
6 months ago they implemented HD channels I tried it and compared the two.

-Picture quality same to me .
-The standard channels that I watch were the same.
-HD channels it was a draw. Comcast had HD for HBO, Showtime, Cinimax, Movetime but NO HDnet, HD movies EspnHD. I checked and other than HBO and Showtime Hd movies on cinimax and movetime were OLD !. So a wash both had equal HD channels just a choice of what you want. I am staying with DirecTV as I do not need the old movies ( OH YES NO FIREWIRE TO RECORD HD MOVIES) and I have 3 modified 169 time shifting modifications STB’s. Also special screw driver needed to open SA case. Since you do not own it and they find out ..will charge you $1400.
-Comcast has “On Demand†which I will miss. But with a Tivo unit that should handle the problem.

Also Comcast was great in installing but NO MANUALS ( can be downloaded from Scientific Atlanta but Comcast had no clue. Just gave me a remote. I had the SA 8000 PVR, just like Tivo) and have no idea on how to use it to record.

I also subscribed too a yahoo SA HD 8000 group.
In the past two months I received 60 emails from AVIS about 169 company
and over 400 from the Yahoo SA 8000 group. The SA unit seems to have many problems with recording, not recorded even when set.. Stop recording 6 mins. Before end of show. Many issues about software updates. Different software versions.

Scientific Atlanta sells these units to many if not most cable companies. It seems each cable company can select features that you can use. They will not sell a unit to you only cable companies. They sell the head end ( Comcast’s equipment) and the STB & PVR sets to Comcast who rents them to you. What I could gather while reading their site is each cable company chooses the features they give to the subscriber

I am willing to sell a ‘PROSCAN MODIFIED STBâ€. Not using it also 30K JVC recorder and software. Contact me if interested jbarrow12@comcast.net.

Based on customer base I believe DirecTV will add more HD channels.
post #201 of 1196 Old 10-03-2004, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SolidSignal
Toledo locals should be on today!

Here is a link to the new 95 degree dish and the 72.5 degree switches.
We are still building or packages (dish and switches).

But the dish and both switches are up!

Here is the link to the info section: http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/localmarket_01.asp

If you see any flaws, let me know!!!!!
what's going on 95?
post #202 of 1196 Old 10-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

International Stations.
Vietnam was first on October 1,2004

SS@SolidSignal
post #203 of 1196 Old 10-07-2004, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
A WSJ story talked about investing in D* versus either Fox or News Corp. Some suggested that D* is on an aggressive subscriber acquisition plan which will require a lot of capital so News Corp stock may be better.

However, the story also briefly touched on the negotiations between D* and Fox for carriage rights. Fox is demanding cash from D* which the latter is resisting. So even though they are sister companies in Murdoch's empire, Fox national HD may not be a slam dunk for D*.

Story noted that Chase Carey, when he moved from News Corp. to D*, gave up all his News Corp. stock options and got D* options instead. So there is a divergence of interests.
post #204 of 1196 Old 10-08-2004, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

thats got to be the funniest thing i have heard recently.

I assumed the reason that fox wasnt on the bird was some technical issue but now it seems as if its a pissing match over how much money Ruperts left pocket gives the right pocket.

Seems one child wants it in the right pocket so his stock options look better while the other child wants it in the left pocket so his options look better and he gets a better price out of DIsh and/or voom when they ask for the same deal.

You would think daddy rupert would step in and tell them to play nice. Especially since i suspect that whatever price gets set is probably going to get looked at by the FCC or FTC when DISH or VOOM wants the same deal.
post #205 of 1196 Old 10-08-2004, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally posted by michaelk

I assumed the reason that fox wasnt on the bird was some technical issue but now it seems as if its a pissing match over how much money Ruperts left pocket gives the right pocket.

Folks need to take into consideration that Fox owns 34% of DirecTv, although it appears to be the controlling interest the management and board of directors for DirecTv has a fiduciary responsibility to the other 66% who also own DirecTv stock. It's not as easy as taking it from one pocket and putting it into the other, Murdoch doesn't have it all in his pocket to begin with.

Jim
post #206 of 1196 Old 10-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

And the "negotiated" price is also the "fair" price Dish will have to pay for the same thing. So from Ruperts's point of view, the higher the better.
post #207 of 1196 Old 10-11-2004, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keenan
Folks need to take into consideration that Fox owns 34% of DirecTv, although it appears to be the controlling interest the management and board of directors for DirecTv has a fiduciary responsibility to the other 66% who also own DirecTv stock. It's not as easy as taking it from one pocket and putting it into the other, Murdoch doesn't have it all in his pocket to begin with.

Jim
looks like they worked it oout.

But thanks for hte info anyhow. I wasnt aware that he only owned 34%. Now you've got me curious- who has the other %66 - individuals or did GM keep a chunk or something all together differnent?
post #208 of 1196 Old 10-11-2004, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally posted by michaelk
looks like they worked it oout.

But thanks for hte info anyhow. I wasnt aware that he only owned 34%. Now you've got me curious- who has the other %66 - individuals or did GM keep a chunk or something all together differnent?
GM-Hughes still owns about 18% I think, the rest is institutional investors like pension funds, and public mutual funds.

If you go to a financial site and plug in DTV for the symbol the info should be there, I tried to link the one I used but it links you right into my account. :eek:

Jim
post #209 of 1196 Old 10-11-2004, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Is it a coincidence that D* buys Fox's Latin American DBS assets?

Maybe a partial quid pro quo for Fox carriage?
post #210 of 1196 Old 10-11-2004, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

> Is it a coincidence that D* buys Fox's Latin American DBS assets?

If you are talking about the bird in the 95-degree slot, DirecTV is using it to carry international market channels (starting with the Vietnamese channels).

Hong.

i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page