Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #661 of 666 Old 07-21-2005, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More changes today, say goodbye to ESPN-HD at full bitrate, it will now be ~14Mb/s.

Only potential 17.9Mb/s full time channel is now CBSW (?!?).

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 666 Old 07-21-2005, 04:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I wonder what they are doing, it looks like B-28 sure isn't getting much use, at least until ST...
post #663 of 666 Old 07-22-2005, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
...but DirecTV's history is one of ever-decreasing PQ, seldom if ever increasing it.
Serious question-

Is that a FACT? I mean- its clear that if you look at it over time SD quality is probably a steadily sloping line. But does anyone know if it’s a straight line or a bumpy one? What I’m getting at is - over the years when they added sats did the bit rates spike up and then continue on their merry way down?

I really didn’t discover all the dbs forums until the past couple years so I don’t know the answer to that.
post #664 of 666 Old 07-24-2005, 01:45 AM

Wow. I'm glad I found this forum. Help! I just ordered a new 61" 1080p. Now what do I feed the monster with? It looks like nobody's happy with the D* HD lite feed. I've been watching analogue OTA for about 2 years now after the local cable company over charged me for 5 months and I pulled the plug. I'm ready to drop up to $1K on a receiver/DVR but I don't want to make the wrong choice and have to live with it for awhile. Is the other sat. provider giving a better HD feed? Do I need to give the cable another chance? Is there anything on the big dish any more? I feel like I've been asleep for 2 years and the smelling salts left me with a big fuzzy headache.
post #665 of 666 Old 07-24-2005, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I would get back with your cable company. They probably have the best overall HD service at this point. Check their website and on the phone to find out about any special deals you might be eligible for. They will have most or all of your local HD channels and most of the national HD services. Be sure to rent their DVR (about $10/month).

This would not be a good time to start up with D*. They are getting ready to begin the transition to MPEG4 and the present HD receivers & dishes will have to be replaced. Keep checking in this forum, and when D* has their HMC (server/client) equipment available, see what new subscriber offers they have for that equipment.

I subscribe to both cable and D* at present. Cable provides INHD1 & 2, Cinemax HD, TNT HD, & Comcast SportsNet HD that D* doesn't offer (and their 6412 DVR is nice). D* provides NFL Sunday Ticket, HDNet & HDNet Movies, & Universal HD that Comcast lacks.
I expect to be able to drop Comcast when D* has the new system operating and adds the services I want that they currently don't have the bandwidth to provide.

UncD2000
post #666 of 666 Old 07-24-2005, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
g00dy, if the display you bought has a ATSC over-the-air tuner, I would hook it up and see what you can get as far as local stations. You say you've been watching analog for 2 years so I'm guessing you have decent signal strengths, and generally, OTA broadcasts are usually the best quality you can get.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page