Will OTA ant mount on same pole as directv dish? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-14-2004, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be having my hdtv installed soon. i already have the hd dish, but i was wondering if the hd ant will mount on the same pole. i really don't want anymore holes in the roof.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-14-2004, 09:09 AM

It depends on how the dish gets mounted. Normally the mast and foot they use is a one time thing, making you put a separate mount up for your OTA. There are a lot of different options for mounting though, discuss it with the dish technician and see what he/she says.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-14-2004, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You can try the DS-1000 mount from Winegard if you need a small OTA antenna, it clamps under the mount for the dish...

If you need a bigger antenna, a dedicated mast would probably be better...

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

There are many variables mostly determined by how far the local channels are that you are trying to pull in...As mjones73 stated, there are some smaller Antenn`s out there like, the winegard and channel master "stealth"....The stealth is pretty good with pulling in further signals...Another factor is do you have "super dish" or the DirecTV smaller HD dish...I`m not sure if the "mini-mount" brackets will work on a superdish as the bracket that clamps the dish on to the dish`s mounting bracket is bigger than a regular dish, a dish 500, or any DirecTV dish....If your local channels are a good distance away which typically requires a bigger Antenna, you are better off going with a separate tripod as the weight and wind load will be too much....Another variable would be whether or not you require a rotor...My situation is ,i require a big UHF only Antenna to pull in CBS from Buffalo 65 miles away, all the other networks i get locally, but to pull in Buffalo i need a rotor, and the whole setup is not terribly heavy, but heavy enough that it would never work mounting on top of my dish..I also needed to raise my Antenna another 5 feet to add 10% gain to lock on to the digital signal from Buffalo,Before that, the picture kept dropping out..Now its solid at 70-75%...So in a nutshell..Antenna`s are allot more work than Dishes..Well sometimes, sometimes if you are close and all your local channels come from one transmitter, you can get off easy..hopefully you fall into that category.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigrushhead
Another variable would be whether or not you require a rotor...My situation is ,i require a big UHF only Antenna to pull in CBS from Buffalo 65 miles away, all the other networks i get locally, but to pull in Buffalo i need a rotor, and the whole setup is not terribly heavy, but heavy enough that it would never work mounting on top of my dish..I also needed to raise my Antenna another 5 feet to add 10% gain to lock on to the digital signal from Buffalo,Before that, the picture kept dropping out..Now its solid at 70-75%...So in a nutshell..
"bigrushhead" I see your mention of pulling in Buffalo Stations. I am in the process of setting up my 1st HD system, and trying to decide on antenna's. Where about are you located, in reference to Buffalo. I am in a northern suburb, town of Wheatfield, aprox 15-20 miles form downtown Buffalo. Although to the best of my knowledge, most towers are not actually located in downtown. I thought they were in the southtowns, to get to the hills? Just curious where you are located and if I may be looking at a similar setup if I am that far form towers.

Bald, By choice!!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-03-2005, 08:43 PM

Head over to www.antennaweb.org to find out what kind of antenna you need for the various stations in your area.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page