Walmart US Digital STB Questions - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1562 Old 04-14-2006, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The best place to look for manuals for this box is http://www.usdigitalhdtv.com/

All info is available there for download. The USDTV site is oriented more toward their program service.

-PhiloT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1562 Old 04-14-2006, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I forgot about that other site. The manual there is just like my printed one, and corresponds to the original (not updated) firmware. No USDTV activation screen, and no "Antenna Adjust" option in the setup menu, with the big multicolor signal strength meter. (The old firmware has a signal strength option in the menus, but it's just a ten-bar display like on a cell phone.
post #273 of 1562 Old 04-15-2006, 12:10 PM

jtbell, PhiloT; Thanks for your help.

After viewing the user manual, I decided that this is not what I need in the long run for a third atsc tuner. However, I have two elderly aunts that have HD ready TVs and digital cable boxes who swear that regular digital cable is HDTV. If the price drops a little more, I'll get one and some antenna gear for each of them. I'm sure they'll be delighted.

Though on very rare occassions, I've seen Walmart drop prices after they reach the red tag stage, I'll just have to check often and beg the manager when I can find the right day.

Again thanks,

TH
post #274 of 1562 Old 04-15-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

(The old firmware has a signal strength option in the menus, but it's just a ten-bar display like on a cell phone.

Oops! I was thinking about the Samsung SIR-T451 when I wrote that. The old US Digital firmware just has a small variable-length bar (no numeric readout) in the status box that you get when you press the PROGRAM INFO button on the remote. The new firmware changes that to a seven-bar cellphone-type display in the status box. It also has the large display under Antenna Adjust in the menus, which does show a percentage figure.
post #275 of 1562 Old 04-15-2006, 12:45 PM

$100 is a very good price, probably cheaper than anything you'd find on EBay for that model, once shipping is added. I wish I could find a deal like that in my area.

The cheapest HDTV tuner I could find was an open box SIR-T451 for $200. All the Hisense units are long gone at any price.
post #276 of 1562 Old 04-16-2006, 11:23 AM

On 4/12 /06 I bought one, unopened at a Walmart, red tag $75. They have been $129 for a while.
post #277 of 1562 Old 04-16-2006, 12:17 PM

How well do these receivers work? I've had a Toshiba 46H84 for over a year now but have yet to add an HD receiver. I'm just looking for something cheap so that I can pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS in HD OTA. Would this one work for me? How much does it sell for at Walmart?
post #278 of 1562 Old 04-16-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:

How well do these receivers work?

People seem happy with them, other than a few gripes (see 10 pages of discussion above). I think some of the things people didn't like were, no HDMI, DVI or RGB outputs (component, S video and composite only).

Also, some people say the audio is a few milliseconds out out of synch. What else? Maybe some other minor stuff that can mostly be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

I tried the Accurian Radio Shack model and the Circuit City Pro Brand models before buying this one and feel it's definitely superior to either of those.

I mostly like the ability to get your money back fairly easily if you decide you don't like it, unlike EBay or those (often) shady online stores.
post #279 of 1562 Old 04-16-2006, 04:10 PM

Can these by bought at any Walmart? How much are they selling for?
post #280 of 1562 Old 04-16-2006, 04:16 PM

Took a chance on a $129 open box WalMart STB. Two green lights, intermittent sound but no video welcome just dark raster when connected to my TV composite video input. Power on/off and plug/unplug did not help. Speculated unit outputting component video only. The missing option USDGUIDE/ASPECT/USDGUIDE/1 enabled composite video out, and yielded a different and better set of aspect ratio choices for 4:3 than 480i does in recovering from any of the other output modes. So far 36 solid/no dropout channels despite moderate rain, no lockups after running overnight. 2.5.61 (2.4.18-7)
post #281 of 1562 Old 04-16-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally94087 View Post

Took a chance on a $129 open box WalMart STB. Two green lights, intermittent sound but no video welcome just dark raster when connected to my TV composite video input. Power on/off and plug/unplug did not help. Speculated unit outputting component video only. The missing option USDGUIDE/ASPECT/USDGUIDE/1 enabled composite video out, and yielded a different and better set of aspect ratio choices for 4:3 than 480i does in recovering from any of the other output modes. So far 36 solid/no dropout channels despite moderate rain, no lockups after running overnight. 2.5.61 (2.4.18-7)

Some of your problems can be fixed by contacting USDTV for a USB upgrade. The latest version is 2.7.11 (2.4.18-15).

HD DVD = 102
BD = 45
post #282 of 1562 Old 04-16-2006, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david118383 View Post

Can these by bought at any Walmart?

No, just the ones that still happen to have any units left after being offered at progressively reduced prices for several months.
post #283 of 1562 Old 04-17-2006, 01:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
My local Walmart never marked them down. If they had, I would've considered grabbing one. They sold the last 3 open boxes that were sitting there for over a year for full price just recently.
post #284 of 1562 Old 04-17-2006, 01:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrust View Post

People seem happy with them, other than a few gripes (see 10 pages of discussion above). I think some of the things people didn't like were, no HDMI, DVI or RGB outputs (component, S video and composite only).

Also, some people say the audio is a few milliseconds out out of synch. What else? Maybe some other minor stuff that can mostly be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

I tried the Accurian Radio Shack model and the Circuit City Pro Brand models before buying this one and feel it's definitely superior to either of those.

I mostly like the ability to get your money back fairly easily if you decide you don't like it, unlike EBay or those (often) shady online stores.

I've had both, and picture wise I thought the USDigital (which I didn't keep) was noticably better than the Accurian picture-wise, but definitely not sensitivity-wise. (By the way, the ProBrand and the Accurian are the exact same box on the inside.) I'm in a fringe area, so I was able to compare on those terms. I suppose if you're close enough to the towers that this wouldn't matter, but it did to me. I've also got the Sony DHG-HDD500, and the Accurian beats that too, for sensitivity. But, even without the DVR, I still prefer the Sony, because the picture is way better. The USDigital also kept losing the audio every once in awhile, and I had to reboot (unplug) it everytime to get it back. But the guide did work much better than the Accurian's, which is so flawed it's virtually useless.
post #285 of 1562 Old 04-17-2006, 07:00 AM

The remote on the Accurian was virtually useless as well, as I recall.

I guess I forgot about all the problems I had with my USDTV box before the USB update, like losing audio and having to unplug the unit to fix it. Those were the good old days.

I'm in the market now for another HDTV (or at least ATSC) set top tuner and am really dismayed at what is available. I even looked at some PC based tuners, but they seem to have a lot of problems at this stage of their development.

I would buy another USDTV box if I could find a new one. I'm not brave enough to buy one on EBay yet, due to the cost (as much as an open box new one) and the risk of getting stuck with one of the subscription-only units.
post #286 of 1562 Old 04-18-2006, 01:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, actually the remote isn't useless - more like finicky. It works, though. You just have to get used to pointing it a little downwards from the unit. People that have used other remotes with it say they have no problem. Best Buy sells the Sylvania tuner (w/included indoor antenna), and some people have said they were very satisfied with it. But it does cost a little over 2 bills. I don't know why they don't just ditch the antenna and sell it for 200. Probably sell more.
post #287 of 1562 Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I guess its ok to tell you guys this now. I was holding out because I wasn't sure what was happening. Hisense originally had a new version of the DB-2010 that had a few improvments with model number DB-2030. Wal-Mart was going to carry it, but this was last summer and since then, I haven't seen anything on this model. It was at one time in our system with a price of $229. The main thing it added, at least from the pics was an HDMI port. I dunno if the box is still in the works for USDTV or not, but I doubt Wal-Mart will carry it. Since most of the TVs now have the box built in, the market for a stand alone STB is diminishing (even though I hate that).

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #288 of 1562 Old 04-19-2006, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the update, sad though it is. Maybe WalMart will find something they can sell for even cheaper at some point that is digital only (not high def).
post #289 of 1562 Old 04-21-2006, 03:38 PM

Hello, I just joined this forum and am new to the HDTV world. I bought a closeout Sony KV-27HS420 HD(ready)TV and the USDigital box at Walmart for $129 with 90-day return priviledge. Overall, I am satisfied with this unit and will probably keep it. The lack of DVI doesn't matter to me because my home theater receiver doesn't have DVI input/output. My revision level is 2.5.47 and USDigital is sending to me the latest. I too have noticed the out-of-sync video & audio and hope this upgrade fixes it. Another member here explained how to directly enter a channel number such as 15-2 (1 5 --> 2 enter) for which I am grateful; but, one has to be fast. My antenna consists of two stacked RS 15-624 indoor bowties into a RS 30db signal amp. I live 30 miles from the sources, in hilly terrain, and can receive all available stations. I didn't find the USDigital signal strength meter to be of much use in setting up the antenna; I had better results connecting to my VCR analog tuner and using my calibrated eyeball to obtain the best antenna position and orientation. Once I had done that the USDigital meter pegged to max and has stayed there. I am aiming through several hundred feet of trees and on very windy days am picking up a bit of video and audio dropout, but tolerable. I am waiting for the trees to be fully leafed before I finalize my verdict. Here's the only feature that I wish the unit had: In the setup menu I must select one output format from 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i. I would like to be offered another choice called "passthrough" and let my Sony TV make the selection. Right now I have selected 1080i on the USDigital box. That means that ABC & FOX broadcasts at 720p will not get to my TV at 720p but instead at 1080i. Unless, of course, I re-setup the USDigital box every time I change channels -- not likely. On the subject of component HDTV tuners versus TV built-in tuners: I've noticed that very few of the HDTVs (with tuner) have digital audio outputs. So, if you buy one of these without the digital out and want to enjoy the broadcast HD 5.1 audio, forget it. Something to be aware of.
post #290 of 1562 Old 04-21-2006, 05:10 PM

What a coincidence. As I was writing my previous post, the promised USDigital update arrived in the form of a USB jumpdrive. The installation went as advertised. Well, guess what. There now is an actually useful antenna setup option in the setup menu. It provides a numerical signal strength from 0% to 100% (percent of what I have no idea) Also, the audio / video sync seems to have improved. There are also a number of other minor improvements, such as scanning through channel contents while still watching one channel. I think I'll keep it for $129.
post #291 of 1562 Old 04-22-2006, 03:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the update, sad though it is. Maybe WalMart will find something they can sell for even cheaper at some point that is digital only (not high def).

I thought someone posted awhile back that they talked to someone at USDTV and they were told definitely that no new boxes would be made available for OTA only users - just for service subscribers.
post #292 of 1562 Old 04-22-2006, 07:59 AM

That's probably true. In fact I think I remember that comment being made by someone in this thread a while back.

What I meant was that someone other than USDTV may come out with a set-top digital tuner that WalMart could sell really cheap. I'm not holding my breath though.
post #293 of 1562 Old 04-23-2006, 12:02 PM

ive searched the web high and low for the firmware updates....they are just not available except strait for the manufacturer
post #294 of 1562 Old 04-23-2006, 12:02 PM

post #295 of 1562 Old 04-23-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:

ive searched the web high and low for the firmware updates....they are just not available except strait for the manufacturer

Are there firmware updates on that website? I wasn't able to find any.

It would be great if either Hisense or USDTV would post them, but I guess they are worried about people hosing their boxes by performing a bad flash.
post #296 of 1562 Old 04-23-2006, 02:17 PM

Last time I was in my local Walmart they still had two USDigital available at $129.
post #297 of 1562 Old 04-24-2006, 02:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's probably true. In fact I think I remember that comment being made by someone in this thread a while back.

What I meant was that someone other than USDTV may come out with a set-top digital tuner that WalMart could sell really cheap. I'm not holding my breath though.

My fault. I just re-read what you posted and it was perfectly clear what you meant. It's just my brain that wasn't at 4:41am.
post #298 of 1562 Old 04-24-2006, 07:45 PM

Quick question. I have the box and am currently running the component cables that came with the tuner. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade the cables?
post #299 of 1562 Old 04-24-2006, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeff View Post

Quick question. I have the box and am currently running the component cables that came with the tuner. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade the cables?

My eyes can not see a difference between pictures send through component or HDMI.
But, then again, my old eyes can't see a difference in the HD signal when a station is sending out an extra channel or two along with its HDTV digital channel!
Nat
post #300 of 1562 Old 04-24-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeff View Post

I'm using the supplied cables to connect from USDigital to my receiver. Also using similar cables to connect from DVD to receiver. From receiver to TV I have heavier 12' cables. Everything looks fine to my eyes (and magnifying glass). If your picture looks fine to you then I see no reason to replace the cables. Personally, I think this high $ Monster cable stuff is a big rip-off. If it is 75 ohm it should work fine. A lot of "cable problems" are caused by people using audio cables, which may not be 75 ohm, for video cables.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page