Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0wki View Post

so this has no value to me if i already have a tuner and get local HD channels?

My Mitsi has a built in tuner, however with the second tuner I can watch one channel while recording off the built in tuner to my inexpensive OTA DVR from Indigita - can be purchased from online from CinemaVu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 11:55 AM

$400 to $500 is inexpensive? That's how much a Sony DHG-HDD250 sold for, and it would work standalone. Too bad sony doesn't sell them anymore... and they sell on ebay for almost as much as they sold new.
post #543 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM

I have managed to desolder the SPI chip. I'm currently trying to dump it so i can by pass the stupid passworded userland app. We setup a irc chat channel on irc.toc2rta com #usdtv. Will post any updates in there on the OTA stuff too.
post #544 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post

RobJMan, there aren't two on the list just yet. Just the one you have. We are hoping someone will present the other one soon.

The update you have, have you used it before? Are you sure that it works properly? It needs to be a linux partition on the USB drive, and the files need to be set executable.

Actually that's a good question. I know a little Unix/Linux (very little) but used SLAX to try to create my own thumbdrive. While I was able to create a Linux partition and I thought that all went well, nothing happened. Then, I had a guy that I work with attempt it as well using his own thumbdrive, but got the same results.

I suppose it's possible that the unit has some unrelated technical problem. I just find the timing to be extremely suspect. Literally two days after the USDTV announcement, I realized that the unit was malfunctioning. Some nights I watch Dish (or nothing). So it's quite possible that it happened on the very day. I immediately did a Google search to see if others had encountered the blinking LED's and the first article I came to was the announcement. Very suspicious if you ask me.

On one hand I'm a little peeved, especially if a signal was sent that disabled my unit. But I don't even know who to be upset with. For example, Walmart most likely shares no blame. But what a goofy thing to have happen. Imagine buying a TV or stereo, only to have it rendered useless a few years later because "someone" sent an OTA signal that shut it down. I guess it's not all that different from how a PC can be compromised by a virus, or an operating system manufacturer who believes you are using an illegal copy - not that I'd know anything about that ;-)

I'm probably going to open the case on the unit and see if anything is fried on a board, etc. I'd really like to get this thing functional again, especially after hearing that the new interface is a bit nicer and that we could possibly enhance it further given the partial open source situation. I'll also have to consider purchasing a new unit, though I likely just broke even on the ROI on this one, considering I could have paid Dish their $5 or $10 per month for the past couple years to have their limited HD. There's just something to be said for receiving such high quality OTA signal for free.

Thanks to all for your continued feedback.
post #545 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 04:13 PM

Did you do a chmod on the files on the drive? If not, the receiver will not be able to execute the files. On linux, any file can be thought of as executable, it is just an attribute that has to be turned on.
post #546 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 04:49 PM

Yes, I checked the execute permissions several times to ensure they were correct. All of the folders and files were RWE. I must admit that one of the thumbdrives had some security stuff embedded in it (i.e. Security Drive), which made it suspect to work with. My co-worker encountered problems trying to work with it and that's when he decided to use his own drive. I'd definitely like to try again, it's just that with no positive feedback from the unit on the first attempts, I have little hope for subsequent ones.
post #547 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Crap! I thought I would have my key by now. It looked like I had gotton one before the big ebay usb key lockup but no such luck was sent usps I guess that explains the delay.

I thought there was a handful that had gotten the fta key but I noticed there has been no word from one of them (post#521) must have gotten bushwacked ...by the feds

Hope we can find enough info (someday) to create our own programming for the db-2010
post #548 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 06:10 PM

I had hoped for mine as well by now. I E-mailed Marsman5d4h today, here is his reply:
"we sold so many items so fast we got back logged on outgoing shipments. We brought in extra help and caught up today. There have been three groups of the flash keys that went out since saturday. Yours was probably in one of those groups so you should see it any day."

So hopefully it well be here soon.
post #549 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJMan View Post

Yes, I checked the execute permissions several times to ensure they were correct. All of the folders and files were RWE. I must admit that one of the thumbdrives had some security stuff embedded in it (i.e. Security Drive), which made it suspect to work with. My co-worker encountered problems trying to work with it and that's when he decided to use his own drive. I'd definitely like to try again, it's just that with no positive feedback from the unit on the first attempts, I have little hope for subsequent ones.

Remove all the extra stuff on the drive. Just have 000_signatures and diagnostics directories on the drive. Also make sure that the USB drive's primary partition is bootable. You can use cfdisk /dev/sda (or whatever) check.
post #550 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 06:18 PM

I have 4 receivers.
#1 is not activated. - I'm waiting on the USB key.
#2 has software 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) hardware db2010
#3 has software 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) hardware db2020
#4 has software 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) hardware db2020
None of them have had the new USB FLASH done to them.
All 4 say DB-2010 on back and USDTV on the front.

Why does #2 have a different Hardware # then #3 and #4?
Will the USB FLASH change either the software or hardware version?
Will it remove the USDTV 99-x channels in the guide?
post #551 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentke View Post

I have 4 receivers.
#1 is not activated. - I'm waiting on the USB key.
#2 has software 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) hardware db2010
#3 has software 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) hardware db2020
#4 has software 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) hardware db2020
None of them have had the new USB FLASH done to them.
All 4 say DB-2010 on back and USDTV on the front.

Why does 3 have a different Hardware # then #3 and 4?
Will the USB FLASH change either the software or hardware version?
Will it remove the USDTV 99-x channels in the guide?

The hardware does not mean anything in this case. USDTV pushed a new firmware over the air to me months ago. It changed my hardware from db2010 to db2020.

The flash key will upgrade either. Your 99-x channels will be gone. All USDtv logo's will be gone from the menu and the serial number will be gone.

BTW - Cable Comm in NOT USDtv. It is a company started in order to upsell to DirectTV and make money. So, if you think you are talking to USD personnel, you are not. If you call them, just ask them if they are USDTV (that's what I did and they straight out told me they are not). I also asked if I get the key they are selling on their website, after I upgrade my boxes can I then resell it? They acted like they never thought of that before. They said that it was copyright of USDTV and that you can not resell it. I then said "You just told me you weren't USDTV. Then what makes it ok for you to sell it?' The answer was "just don't sell it because there are laws and stuff".

At the root of all of this is greed.
post #552 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 View Post

And a mountain of lies.
post #553 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:

They said that it was copyright of USDTV and that you can not resell it. I then said "You just told me you weren't USDTV. Then what makes it ok for you to sell it?' The answer was "just don't sell it because there are laws and stuff".

Oh, they don't have to worry. Most of us here aren't interested in reselling it. We're just going to spread it across the web like a friggin cancer until every single shmoe who ever signed up with USDTV has free access to it, as they should.

But sell it? Nah... then we'd be like them.
post #554 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 PM

Codeman and I managed to decrypt the update image. The serial password is "xyzzy" but its actually useless unless there is a file /opt/mediaworks/etc/allowshell on the flash. We are still working on an OTA mod.
post #555 of 1562 Old 03-28-2007, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentke View Post

I had hoped for mine as well by now. I E-mailed Marsman5d4h today, here is his reply:
"we sold so many items so fast we got back logged on outgoing shipments. We brought in extra help and caught up today. There have been three groups of the flash keys that went out since saturday. Yours was probably in one of those groups so you should see it any day."

So hopefully it well be here soon.

At least he didn't slam you with the usdtv copyright that's on the ebay site now and said you can't have it without proof maybe now we'll get'um in a couple of more days (fingers crossed)
post #556 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post

At least he didn't slam you with the usdtv copyright that's on the ebay site now and said you can't have it without proof maybe now we'll get'um in a couple of more days (fingers crossed)

Since I called Cable Comm, I decided to call marsman and see what I could find out. He put that disclaimer because Cable Comm threatened him. Which is odd to me since they aren't USDTV.

Take a picture of your unit or get a picture from the web an send it to him as proof. Wouldn't possesion of a unit mean you were a subscriber
post #557 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 AM

I set up a ubuntu linux machine yesterday, and created a usbstick per the instructions in this thread. I have made sure the stick is 777 throughout.

I have a couple of DB2020 receivers that I am trying to set to remembering the last channel viewed instead of always going to 99-1 upon power up.

When the system boots from plugging in power, I can see the stick getting accessed, but not a lot.

I did not specify a particular partition flavor when doing the mkfs. perhaps there's a dependency on which format needs to be used? hints?

The files came from the rapidshare link as a zipped directory. I have only the 2 directories on the stick. I deleted the lost+found dir that was on the stick after mkfs. that didn't seem to make any difference.

what's an easy way to verify the usbstick is bootable? my unix/linux is VERY rusty.
post #558 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 06:21 AM

If you have a 99, then you don't have the Free to Air box, you have a subscription box. No one has posted that firmware yet. And I've tried to buy it for myself, and no one will return my calls. I think $30 is a little steep...
post #559 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhouse View Post

I set up a ubuntu linux machine yesterday, and created a usbstick per the instructions in this thread. I have made sure the stick is 777 throughout.

I have a couple of DB2020 receivers that I am trying to set to remembering the last channel viewed instead of always going to 99-1 upon power up.

When the system boots from plugging in power, I can see the stick getting accessed, but not a lot.

I did not specify a particular partition flavor when doing the mkfs. perhaps there's a dependency on which format needs to be used? hints?

The files came from the rapidshare link as a zipped directory. I have only the 2 directories on the stick. I deleted the lost+found dir that was on the stick after mkfs. that didn't seem to make any difference.

what's an easy way to verify the usbstick is bootable? my unix/linux is VERY rusty.

I tried the same thing. That flashware (unless there is new out there) is for non-subscription boxes. Since you always go to channel 99-1, you have a subscription box.

You need a new key or to wait until the software gets posted.

To verify the stick is bootable, use cfdisk /dev/sda. It will tell you if it is bootable by saying "Bootable" next to the partition in the table on the screen. If it is not, use the right arrow to go to Bootable option and hit enter. Then Write the partition. You can also use fdisk and hit 'a'. But there is no menu on fdisk.
post #560 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 06:26 AM

hmm. I guess I need to reread this whole thread. What is the purpose of the upgrade that I just created? That does something to the walmart boxes only?

On another note, I assume that the only boxes getting "zapped" are ones in the defunct USDTV subscription areas, and if you move to another state, where USDTV never operated, then there is no issue with being disabled.
post #561 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:

hmm. I guess I need to reread this whole thread. What is the purpose of the upgrade that I just created? That does something to the walmart boxes only?

On another note, I assume that the only boxes getting "zapped" are ones in the defunct USDTV subscription areas, and if you move to another state, where USDTV never operated, then there is no issue with being disabled.

What does "zapped" mean? If you have a subscription box (shows the 99-1) and you get a power outage or unplug your box, when it comes back up you should be stuck on the "call USDTV to activate" screen.
post #562 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Nope, I live in Albuquerque and I have no problems so far. Only that I'm missing the signal to the 99-1 cable program guide and all of the cable chanels. Ill post again later if I see any changes.

PS. My father got billed earler this month from USD, does any one have an idea why did this happened?
post #563 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 08:40 AM

I sent marsman the following message:

On your site, you state that "Due to copyright laws you are only allowed to purchase one of these keys if you have proof of being a current or previous subscriber to USDTV."

In reality, the USDTV files are based on Linux, which is covered by the GPL. That means USDTV was supposed to release these files in binary and source code form, as referenced at http://elinux.org/wiki/HiSense. However, that never happened, and the files continue to be held back from customers who just want to make their own USB keys.

and marsman replied:

That is good info to know. If you have one of the boxes and need a key let me know and I can sell you one after the heat is gone.
post #564 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usduser4000 View Post

Nope, I live in Albuquerque and I have no problems so far. Only that I'm missing the signal to the 99-1 cable program guide and all of the cable chanels. Ill post again later if I see any changes.

PS. My father got billed earler this month from USD, does any one have an idea why did this happened?

Just don't reboot or lose power. If you father has signed up after Sept 12, then you can request a refund. See http://www.usdtv.com/customer_service/refund.html

If USDTV is gone, how can they provide a refund? Does that mean they are still around? If so, maybe we can still get the source code. I would love to have the source and see if we could hook up an external hard drive to the USB port and create a DVR out of this flood of boxes.
post #565 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 AM

I dunno I reset mine abunch of times to see if I could get the time back. But no luck. I do know now that USD is no longer sending the the guide time thats why it would not work. I did not try a hard reset I just held the power button until the logo showed. My father did send a letter regarding the bill, but no response yet.

BTW: He was billed on march 1st. Almost 1 week after usd crapped out. ( I think. )
post #566 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usduser4000 View Post

I dunno I reset mine abunch of times to see if I could get the time back. But no luck. I do know now that USD is no longer sending the the guide time thats why it would not work. I did not try a hard reset I just held the power button until the logo showed. My father did send a letter regarding the bill, but no response yet.

You have to update the box. The udated box will let you set the time by choosing a local channel to pull the time from. It pulls the TV guide from the channel that you get the time from.

So, until you get a flash key, you won't be able to get the program guide.
post #567 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:

You have to update the box. The udated box will let you set the time by choosing a local channel to pull the time from. It pulls the TV guide from the channel that you get the time from.

So, until you get a flash key, you won't be able to get the program guide.

I can see the program guide but the time is waaaaay off.
We also were "early adopters" in albuquerque we got the boxes in 2004.
post #568 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM

post #569 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 12:24 PM

Take a look at what showed up at http://www.linux-hacker.net/usdtv/

A 23MB file called GPL compliance that is dated March 28, 2007. I just downloaded it, but it is going to take some time as all the files in it are also compressed. The readme says:

Quote:

This package includes linux kernal source version 2.4.18 as modified by ATI,
and patches made by Roku to the GPL software we used in the release of the Roku
HD1000 up to version 1.5.18. There are two directories in this package:

ati --- these are the sources and patches which Roku received as a
component of our chip vendor's Board Support Package.

roku --- these are the patches to GPL software that were written at Roku.

Our intent with this package is to include all sources that are not available
elsewhere. Below is a list of the sources that went into building the HD1000.
If you are unable to find one of these packages on the Internet, please email
support@rokulabs.com and we will make them available to you.

Then there is a long list of files that you have to pull from sites all over the net. Roku HD1000 is a high def media player. We know that the the ATI chip is used in the db20x0, but was roku involved in these Hisense boxes?

It's going to take someone more technical to figure out what that file is. I wasn't encourged by looking at it.
post #570 of 1562 Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 PM

I received my modded db-2010 from Marsman today. Works as advertised. Woot!

--Elliott--
(gamertag: hoofdpijn)

"Weck up to thees!"
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page