Walmart US Digital STB Questions - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1562 Old 04-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I just did a quick read of these messages.. is somebody selling a USB thumb drive of the image of the last update for these receivers.. I have had a Wal-Mart unlocked receiver for about two years and do not know which version of the software that I have in it.
--David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1562 Old 04-08-2007, 06:33 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEC View Post

Ok I just did a quick read of these messages.. is somebody selling a USB thumb drive of the image of the last update for these receivers.. I have had a Wal-Mart unlocked receiver for about two years and do not know which version of the software that I have in it.
--David

To find the version you are currently on......
Press menu, press setup, then go to system information.

Mine reads 2.7.11 (2.4.18-15)
post #633 of 1562 Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post

Wow what a trip I knew there was probably a remote keying combo that would do someting like that. I thought there might be some other combos like those on most tvs where you can get into a service menu.

I just tried that on one of my other db-2010s it is now reset to the original 2.5.57(2.4.18-17) firmware I thought I was goofing around with the subscription unit but it turned out to be the one of the fta units I had bought on ebay oops!. I need to dig up the fta upgrade stick again

It's great now that they can be reset to the previous firmware

-----"LET THE EXPERIMENTS BEGIN"-----

Yeah, I wonder if you could go all the way back to the yellow gui.

BTW: I'm sorry that your ebay-box firmware got rolled back.
post #634 of 1562 Old 04-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjallou View Post

To find the version you are currently on......

Mine is currently:
2.5.61 (2.4.18-7)

And reading that there is a 2.7.xx out there tells me that mine is a number of software updated behind..

But I emailed to cablecom and they told me I did not need any software updates??

The only bug that I have with my unit is.. if I leave it on the same channel for more than 24 hours.. I have to do a hard reset to get the remote to work again.

Since you can purchase 512mb usb thumb drives for less than $10 I was hoping that maybe some body here was selling a pre-programed thumb drive for about $20 or less shipped.

--David
post #635 of 1562 Old 04-08-2007, 08:30 PM

OK I used my old 128MB USB key and the tool supplied in the RAR. The key seemed to build OK, and using a ext2fs driver, it mounts under winXP and I can see files. however my 3 year old Wal-Mart DB2010 (free-OTA) refuses to acknowlege it's existence when I plug it in on the back of the unit.

I've tried unplugging it, pressing the power button on the remote. Is there some secret? Do I need to do a hard reset? Is it possible I didn't make the key right?

Tomorrow, I'm going to burn a Knoppix LiveCD and see if I can mount the USB key under Linux and take a look around, but I thought maybe someone who had success making their own key could tell me if I missed something.

Thanks
post #636 of 1562 Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 PM

Phlotsam:
If you made the upgrade key correctly, then it's as simple as doing the following:

1. Unplug your receiver.
2. Insert the USB key.
3. Plug in your receiver.

It will then auto-detect the USB drive and begin the upgrade process. If it doesn't, the key was likely not make right. I found it pretty easy, though. Also, if you've successfully installed an Ext2 filesystem patch, you should be able to browse around the drive in XP, without needing to boot Linux. Hope this helps!
post #637 of 1562 Old 04-08-2007, 09:33 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by usduser4000 View Post

Yeah, I wonder if you could go all the way back to the yellow gui.

BTW: I'm sorry that your ebay-box firmware got rolled back.

It's ok I have 3 other boxes that work.

It even restored the id number of the unit

I have been wondering if anyone out there has the original key that took the walmart fta boxes to the last version of firmware that didn't change the hardware into a db2020.

The walmart box I have has the latest firmmare at 2.7.11 (2.4.18-15) hardware db2010. The reason I wonder is that this firmware seems to be very stable compared to my other units that the hardware version is db2020.....Wonder if any hackers can download any of the firmware updates from the units flashed since it can be rolled back?

I found the upgrade, I have to try and set this unit back to where it was. I will try to reflash it tonight.

It's hard to keep from fiddling with these units... I just like the speed of the channel changes you can make on it compared to the samsung units I've tried

Well I just reflashed the unit with the update key It's working ok.... again
post #638 of 1562 Old 04-09-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredPC View Post

Phlotsam:
If you made the upgrade key correctly, then it's as simple as doing the following:
1. Unplug your receiver.
2. Insert the USB key.
3. Plug in your receiver.
It will then auto-detect the USB drive and begin the upgrade process.

Worth noting: It takes a long time for the unit to do anything after step three.

70 seconds or so in my experience.
post #639 of 1562 Old 04-09-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredPC View Post

Erm... well, that might be a far cry, but someone very talented could perhaps do it. The problem wouldn't be the "software;" it runs linux, and someone with the right knowledge could adapt that well enough. The issue would be in finding a hardware method of adding an internal hard drive (to be a "true" DVR). Unless, perhaps, you mean using the USB port for an external drive; that could be doable, but writing speed vs playback/encoding speed might be a hurdle. I concur completely, though, that it would be really interesting to see what a insanely clever linux guru could do with this nice piece of hardware...

Interestingly, I have personally spoken with the engineers for this product. The current units were originally intended to be modifiable so that a hard drive could be added internally. In fact, if you open one up, you will see that all of the traces are there to do it. You just need to add a connector and hard drive. So, actually, the hard part is the software. The software has already been developed, just not released by USDTV. May Marsman knows how to get it for us.
post #640 of 1562 Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEC View Post

Mine is currently:
2.5.61 (2.4.18-7)

And reading that there is a 2.7.xx out there tells me that mine is a number of software updated behind..

But I emailed to cablecom and they told me I did not need any software updates??

The only bug that I have with my unit is.. if I leave it on the same channel for more than 24 hours.. I have to do a hard reset to get the remote to work again.

Since you can purchase 512mb usb thumb drives for less than $10 I was hoping that maybe some body here was selling a pre-programed thumb drive for about $20 or less shipped.

--David

You can probalby get one on ebay for $3.00. Just go to ebay and type "usdtv". But, if you want to pay $20. I will sell you mine for $20.00 .
post #641 of 1562 Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 PM

I have a USDigital / HiSense DB-2010 (probably Wal-Mart) Tuner with firmware Rev 2.5.6.1 (2.4.18-7). This tuner has been in use for OTA reception in the Minneapolis / Saint Paul, MN area for about 7 months. It is my hope that a firmware upgrade would fix occasional Aspect, Time Zone and Audio problems.

I purchased ProServ1/MarsMan's 32 Meg SanDisk USB Thumb drive. I followed the instructions:
Unplug power, Connect USB Drive, Reconnect power. The green USB light comes on steady.

This simply results in a normal boot of this USDigital Tuner. The blue USDigital Splash screen appears. After about 40 - 60 seconds a sleep Mode message is briefly flashed, then the screen goes blank. The front panel lights indicate the Tuner is in standby mode. Leaving it this way for 45+ minutes makes no difference.

Upon checking the System information, the firmware is exactly the same as before. There is no change to the Tuner configuration.

A Hard Reset ( press Guide, Aspect, Exit, Program Info, 0) causes the tumer to restart. It then runs the initial USDigital splash screen and prompts for a Channel scan. Upon finishing this setup, the firmware remains the same as before.

The Roll-Back key sequence (Red Guide, Program Info, Aspect, Program Info, 1) typically overlays a small blue rectangle with a "1" on the upper right of the currently tuned channel. At other times the Tuner is restarted, with a blue welcome screen describing USDTV Serice and listing the URL. There is no change to system configuration.

I can find no menu options to force a USB read.

I tried downloading the firmware, as described in a recent post. I loaded it to a Microcenter 1 GB USB thumb drive. This USB drive gives no appearance of ever being recognized by the tuner.

Is there some special trick needed to get a USB drive to run an update?
Or is the DB-2010 2.5.6.1 (2.4.18-7) firmware simply not upgradeable?
post #642 of 1562 Old 04-10-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Tango View Post

I have a USDigital / HiSense DB-2010 (probably Wal-Mart) Tuner with firmware Rev 2.5.6.1 (2.4.18-7). This tuner has been in use for OTA reception in the Minneapolis / Saint Paul, MN area for about 7 months. It is my hope that a firmware upgrade would fix occasional Aspect, Time Zone and Audio problems.

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about the firmware updates. If you have a box that was working as an OTA receiver and you want to update the firmware, you need to look around post 400 (403 for the files) on how to update those boxes.

IF you have an old USDTV subscription box that you need to convert into an OTA box then you need to use the firmware files that were released last week.

It seems like the orig. OTA boxes do not accept the USDTV update and vice versa.
post #643 of 1562 Old 04-10-2007, 09:26 AM

I used the reset to old version and it showed my old channel list in the tv guide from before I updated (fta box)

Is the subscription box update a higher version number than the fta ?

And is there a newer version of the fta that has not been released?
post #644 of 1562 Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 AM

I'm still fairly new here, with only a few posts, but find this thread very interesting with a lot of people with the same problem. I posted back on 3-20-07 #498, and then made mention of the fact that using the remote sequence changes a lot of things of the DB2010 unit, and still believe there is a sequence that would correct all these problems without a key. I, for one, did purchase a key from Marsman which made my unit now usable. I also purchased a couple of used units from Marsman which are correctly flashed. Now here is another question that I have, the original unit I bought new from Walmart, that was never activated under USDTV, always keeps the green light showing signal On, even when the power is Off, whereas the units that were flashed, originally from USDTV never show the green light when powered Off, just double red lights, anyone know why?? Also maybe if someone keeps trying various key sequences, they will find a sequence that corrects all these problems without a key. Problem with this is that certain sequences from USDTV were very destructive and did not bring the unit back to true factory settings as their manual said, but there own settings which messed up the unit by no longer being able to bring up menu, just stuck in loop of not finding their (USDTV)signals!!
post #645 of 1562 Old 04-10-2007, 10:31 AM

If you update the wal-mart box to 2.7.11, from the 2.5.whatever it has on it, the LEDs will act differently. I noticed this even when I was receiving the USDTV service, which was only beta tested in my area. Sometimes I would get a firmware update over the airwaves, and the menus would change, and at one time the LEDs changed.
post #646 of 1562 Old 04-10-2007, 11:00 AM

Thanks Jafir, but I don't plan to do anything with my well working Wal-mart model, it is the only one that seems to work best. But I have pictures that I took when my prior flashed units were all messed up after doing USDTV's factory reset. I have pictures showing that the power button was Off (Red) but was showing a channel scan lineup on the TV, which means the unit was technically on and sending info to the TV. Strange, I know!!! Thats why I took the pictures, the unit was really messed up!!!
post #647 of 1562 Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 AM

So it looks like even though the two flavors of this box are essentially identical, they are different with respect to the software they will run, for whatever reason. If I understand what you just described, it looks the "final" versions of the Hisense box are:

U.S. Digital (Wallyworld) FTA STB = 2.7.11(2.4.18-15) hardware db2010
USDTV/Hisense Subscription STB = 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) hardware db2020

This lines up exactly with the two units I have, one that I bought from WW at the original price that had 3 upgrades from the company while they were in business, and the one that I just got from marsman.

However, this does contradict a message that I got from marsman who stated that the USB key he was selling would upgrade the WW boxes, which is apparently not the case. So, although I purchased a key, I ain't tryin' it on my WW box!

I am wondering if we can collectively put together a post on this box to assemble all of the known facts and quirks about it, and make it a "sticky" for the benefit of one and all. Not sure exactly how this is done, but I think it would be worthwhile.

-PhiloT
post #648 of 1562 Old 04-11-2007, 10:20 AM

- Rocky1034 - It might help you to think of the box as a computer it is, (running linux) with the software update it installed a newer operating system (like going from win98 to XP) so there were a lot of changes, with the old software you had to unplug the box to reboot now you can reboot by holding the power button in for 4 seconds.
post #649 of 1562 Old 04-11-2007, 03:25 PM

I have an OTA Walmart box that still just rapidly flashes both LED's. Can anyone advise if they're experiencing the same behavior? According to the USDTV manual, if the power LED flashes it's due to "System Update In Progress". However, it doesn't state what happens when the signal and power LED's flash simultaneously - in unison.

I've tried all of the software updates and remote resets as prescribed herein. But none have helped. So, I'm left to wonder if the unit is permanently fried, or does it just need a firmware update that for whatever reason I'm incapable of applying.

I can't get to any menus, etc. The screen is blank and the unit just flashes. Can anyone fathom whether or not this is a related firmware issue? Or, has my unit just happened to fry about the same day that USDTV went belly up?
post #650 of 1562 Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloT View Post

So it looks like even though the two flavors of this box are essentially identical, they are different with respect to the software they will run, for whatever reason. If I understand what you just described, it looks the "final" versions of the Hisense box are:

U.S. Digital (Wallyworld) FTA STB = 2.7.11(2.4.18-15) hardware db2010
USDTV/Hisense Subscription STB = 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) hardware db2020

There are indeed two boxes and PhiloT's information above is accurate. There are Walmart boxes (sometimes called US Digital boxes) and USDtv Subscription boxes.

You can not use the subscription flash on a Walmart box. You also can not use a Walmart flash on a subscription box. There is really no physical way to tell the difference. The only difference is the version found on the System Information screen. However, if you have the USDtv logo on the menus or you have the channel 99-1, then you have a subscription box. Or of course, if you reboot and it says to call USDTV to activate, then you have a subscription box.

As far as the Walmart (aka US Digital) boxes go, here is the info that I have seen:

Prior to Walmart upgrade:

- Contained a System ID on the System Information page (xxxx-xxxx-xxxx)
- The software version was: 2.5.61 (2.4.18-7)
- The hardware version was db2010 on the System Information page
- The System Information page had an U S Digital logo on the lower right hand side of the page.
- There was no PIP on the channel guide page
- There was no Adjust Antenna menu option

The Walmart flash took a long time (like 7-10 mins). Much longer than the subscription flash & boxes (subscription upgrade was like 4-5 mins). The Walmart flash menu was not quite as nice as the subscription flash menu during the flash process.

After the flash using the Walmart box:

- The System ID was no longer on the System Information page
- The software version was: 2.7.11 (2.4.18-15)
- The hardware version was db2020 on the System Information page
- The US Digital logo was gone from the System Information page
- We now have a PIP on the channel guide
- We now have the Adjust Antenna menu option.

After the flash, the software functionality on the Walmart box seemed to be the same as the flashed subscription box except for the version number. However, the number in ()'s are the same after the upgrade. Both the Walmart and subscription have 2.4.18-15 in the ()'s after the flash. All the other functions seemed to be the same.

There was talk about a USDtv tech telling someone about being built to have a hard disk. I opened up my box and there is definitely no header for a disk drive to connect to. It would be nice if a former USDtv engineer would get on here and straighten all of this out. But, that may not happen due to lack of motivation or legal regard.

I recommend the Walmart upgrade if you are still on the 2.5.61 version. The 2.7.11 is much better (but that is just my opinion). Also, I see that marsman now has the Walmart flash (item 170100949662) for sale. I suppose this is for those who do not want to or have the ability to create a stick themselves. So, if you buy one of these, make sure you know which one you need. I don't see that it is really made clear on the ebay listings.

Does anyone have the ability to create a simple wiki or website for this these little boxes that we seemed to be obsessed with? This thread is awesome, but newbie's will have to really read and dig to get the info out of it.
post #651 of 1562 Old 04-14-2007, 11:07 PM

I live outside of the USDTV service area (when it was still in business) and received a USB firmware upgrade that converted a subscription box to a free OTA box. Before I shipped the key back, I made a copy of the drive contents, both the files and a DD image of the disk. I can send it to someone who's willing to post it on a site. I could also create a Bit Torrent and share it that way.

I got this firmware (v2.5.63) over a year ago, so people here may already have a newer version. I've been trying to glean information from this thread. It's a long read! Please forgive me if I'm restating something someone else already posted.

Lastly, I would like to ask for some help reviving my box. It had been working perfectly for a year or so. One day I powered it on and it would not get past the blue splash screen. I've left it on for hours and it just sits there. I've read of a "hard reset" for these boxes. What is that procedure, and would it help revive my box? I've tried one of the reset codes using the remote to no avail.
post #652 of 1562 Old 04-15-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Added.......Now I hear there is no such animal as a db2020 so where did they come from a glitch in the upgrade software?

From a chat with someone at the old USDTV: The DB2020 was a box from a different (not Hisense) manufacturer. Many or all of them were recalled because of heat problems.
post #653 of 1562 Old 04-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:

I was able to look into some of the files for the sub to fta software it had a statement in it to check if the unit was a proton unit. Do you think it was a proton unit that had the heat problems as referred to by the usdtv person? I have heard of these units but I have never seen one.

Later

Any response from me would be a guess. I don't know.
post #654 of 1562 Old 04-16-2007, 05:50 PM

Is there a way to start from scratch with a USDtv box? I have a box that has some kind of test program on it. It has the USD logo then asks you to press the On button, click ok, is the left light red, is the right light green, are both red, are both green, etc....

It is some kind of test program. I got a USB subscription key and the Walmart key, neither do anything. Just go through the menu and then get a screen that says all the hardward passed.

I'm wondering how to get an initial load of software on this box? Anyone have any ideas or have made progress decompiling the images that are floating around now?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Too bad USD did not open up their source.
post #655 of 1562 Old 04-17-2007, 10:37 AM

I have a Wal-mart DB-2010 I would like to know where I can down load the update files for the OTA non-subscription box.

the blinking leds are now fixed with a 33 volt zener replacement and taking it completely apart and putting it back together.
post #656 of 1562 Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Yes it does output HD on the component ports and yes it will output composite at the same time. I would need a little more info to help you on the antenna. Distance from broadcast stations, elevation, single or two story house, attic on outdoor install?
Good Luck
post #657 of 1562 Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 PM

You will actually need the upgrade software that is for the Walmart Box. On Ebay at consumer electronics, antennas, HDTV tuners.
post #658 of 1562 Old 04-18-2007, 07:45 AM

If anyone has bought this box on ebay, can you please tell me which seller, so I know I will get a good one, or if you can find one for me and send me the link....any help would be great...I just don't want to get ripped off....right now I have the samsung H260F, but if I can find a cheap one that does basically the same thing I will return the sammy...I just want the free OTA HD broadcasts...
Thanks!!
post #659 of 1562 Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post

If anyone has bought this box on ebay, can you please tell me which seller, so I know I will get a good one, or if you can find one for me and send me the link....any help would be great...I just don't want to get ripped off....right now I have the samsung H260F, but if I can find a cheap one that does basically the same thing I will return the sammy...I just want the free OTA HD broadcasts...
Thanks!!

I bought one from ebay seller "distandwind" and the item arrived as described - new in box with updated firmware. Shipping was fast too. No complaints at all.
post #660 of 1562 Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 AM

Ok, thanks...I actually just won this one....http://cm.*********/cm/ck/1065-29392...m=120107979443
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page