Walmart US Digital STB Questions - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1562 Old 06-11-2007, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
having the channel change through the universal remote would be too much of automation :-) (Think over it, you have to keep the remote powerd on and get it pointed towards the STB... I guess it'd have been better if I had bought the current crop of recorders with ATSC tuners).
I guess I would just keep the STB switched on (which I don't like) to the channel I want to record and and keep the DVD recorder on standby power with peroper scheduling to record from S-Video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1562 Old 06-16-2007, 07:29 PM

Liked: 10
There are a couple of Radio Shack remotes that supposedly work with the db-2010. The three in one and the 4-in-1 family favorites remote. I have not tested either of them.

On the remotecentral forum I found this post by jenilu509:

Having unsuccessfully searched for this code on the net before going through the tedium of using the remote's search feature, I thought I would post it as a public service. If you buy a "RadioShack 4-in-1 family favorites remote," the code for a Hisense TL 2020 is 0815. The RadioShack information says the code is 0748, but that did not work for me. I also emailed Hisense customer service and they never even answered my email. hope this helps!
post #723 of 1562 Old 06-17-2007, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlaw55 View Post

I doubt that there are any set-top-boxes with a scheduler. And yet, nearly all of the VCR's could do this on cable.

Just a thought ... But perhaps there is a universal learning remote with the ability to make automated channel changes?

Most UK OTA set top boxes have this facility - originally set manually by the user, now driven by the 7 day electronic programme guide broadcast universally.

If any CE manufacturers try and develop common UIs and platforms for consistency between digital platforms then this may appear on US boxes? Particularly Chinese/Korean models?
post #724 of 1562 Old 06-23-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Saw the US Digital marked down for clearance in my WalMart today for $100.

Anyone on here used it in a fringe situation (60+ miles)?
post #725 of 1562 Old 06-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

Anyone on here used it in a fringe situation (60+ miles)?

With my Hisense STB and an RCA ANT1250 indoor antenna, I get stations in the Tallahassee, FL area, about 65 miles from where I live, usually during morning and evening hours. I have a CM 4221 antenna on order, and plan to place it in front of a window near my TV (I live in an apartment, so outdoor placement is all but impossible) to see if I can get stations in Tally and in Columbus, GA (about 60 miles away) stations for longer periods of time.

YMMV, depending on your antenna placement, terrain and weather. For more antenna help, check in the Antenna Topic sticky.

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #726 of 1562 Old 06-24-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

SAnyone on here used it in a fringe situation (60+ miles)?

Most of my stations are 60+ miles. My main stations are on mountains and I'm down in the piedmont, so I benefit from the transmitter elevation for them and receive almost all of them OK. The furthest one is 83 miles. The only exceptions are stations where I know there's a problem with interference from analog stations on the same channel in other cities.

I can also get stations from two other cities at my elevation (not in the mountains). In the 65-75 mile range they come in OK in the evening and at night but half of them have at least some dropouts during the day. Beyond 75 miles I can't get anything during the day, and only occasionally at night. (this does not include the ones in the mountains as described above)

The US Digital worked OK for me, but the Samsung DTB-H260F does somewhat better with really weak signals (fewer dropouts). If you're in a position where you need all the help you can get, I think the Samsung is worth the extra money. I still keep the US Digital as a spare unit.

My current antenna is a Radio Shack VU-190XR, which I think has about 3-4 dB less gain in UHF than the antennas you've been considering in another thread (CM 4228 and Antennasdirect 91XG).
post #727 of 1562 Old 06-26-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir View Post

Almost every night, my DB 2010 has been shutting down to check for software updates. It's getting really annoying, since it's pretty obvious that there aren't going to be any updates due to USDTV going bankrupt. Anyone know of a way to stop the unit from checking for updates?

My unit is a regular non-subscription model. Software version is 2.7.11 (2.4.18-15) Hardware Version: db2020.

Is there a generic version of the software / firmware that will work with my unit that has the software update checker turned off?

I have the same problem with both of my ebay units. The problem usually occurs between 2am and 5am (while recording a show from the DB2010). A blue message box appears at the bottom of the screen: "An automatic check for software updates is needed at this time. Your receiver will turn itself off for this check. Push the 'Exit' button to postpone this check." The check takes about 45 seconds before the picture re-appears. My version is 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) and hardware version db2020. I would assume the problem is software but it could also be location dependent. I live in the San Francisco bay area.
post #728 of 1562 Old 06-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Liked: 13
So it still looks like we need to get our hands on the mediaworks software to manuiplate these units.

Does anyone out there have one the ex usdtv engineers as a close friend that can grab us the stb software that was used to create the interfaces etc for these db2010s?

Just wishing again......

I Know! I know! copyright this and copyright that......
post #729 of 1562 Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mine had been checking for updates every night for a week or 10 days. And it was always about a minute past the top of the hour, just as some program I wanted to watch was starting. No matter what option I chose, it would go ahead and check for updates anyway.

It has since stopped, as mysteriously as it started. Which is a good thing, as I was ready to toss the unit out the window a couple of times.

I see you are using a newer software version than me. I guess since you are also having the "checking for updates" problem, I won't bother updating.

Still, these are good units. I especially like the program guide. I sometimes wish I had a couple more of them.
post #730 of 1562 Old 06-26-2007, 11:50 AM

I figured I'd post this here. I just got a USDTV HDTV box from my brother in law. Works great and picks up every channel But the PBS station. Reset the box reading over 500 posts in this thread to find it, pulled antenna out during the scan of 21 as it locks up, and tried to manually add it. The signal strength shows up 80+% so don't know what gives. The system information shows 2.7.15 (2.4.18-15).

Any help in why oh why this box won't pick up frequency 21 with strong signal strength? Like I said only PBS. The sad news is they broadcast 5 channels and the best HD content for a nature nut like myself.
post #731 of 1562 Old 06-26-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you tried calling or e-mailing the station? Their engineers would probably be interested to know that something about their signal is causing at least one brand of receiver to freeze up. There's probably something in their PSIP data stream (the thing that carries the virtual channel number, program guide info, etc.) that isn't quite in spec.
post #732 of 1562 Old 06-26-2007, 12:55 PM

Yes, no response yet. I'm not that patient I guess. I've read that it could be the PSIP, but with this whole USDTV firmware discussion, just not sure if it was on my side (cheap free equipment), or the channel side.
post #733 of 1562 Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

I have heard of this happening before with this receiver. I think it was discussed in this thread and the other person was also having this problem with a PBS station.

Try posting in the local HDTV reception forum on this site. I didn't catch what city you are in, but there is likely a forum for your area. If you have trouble finding your area, post the city and I will give you a link.

I have heard of people emailing local stations and getting the problem fixed. It surprised me to hear this, but I guess it's a common problem and not that hard for an engineer to fix. Good luck!
post #734 of 1562 Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 PM

The Hisense tuner is not the greatest tuner.. I have the inbuilt tuner in my TV.. olevia 537h.. which is far far better than the hisense tuner.. and gets more channel than the hisense.. anyway I bought the Hisense purely for recording to my analogue DVD recorder. So no worry...however the hisense HDTV tuner have two great fatures I love..
1) Signal Strength meter
2) TV program guide

About the PBS reception.. they usually use a low power transmitter.. so people living outside 15 mile radius have great difficulty in the reception.. at least thats the case in NY metro/suberb area. Before the summer started I used to get Thirteen (out of Newark) with about 70% reliability.. now a days I don't get it at all.. check www.tvfool.com for the power of your local PBS transmitter
post #735 of 1562 Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 PM

[quote=spielerman]I figured I'd post this here. I just got a USDTV HDTV box from my brother in law. Works great and picks up every channel But the PBS station. Reset the box reading over 500 posts in this thread to find it, pulled antenna out during the scan of 21 as it locks up, and tried to manually add it. The signal strength shows up 80+% so don't know what gives. The system information shows 2.7.15 (2.4.18-15).

Yours locks up on channel 21 on a scan. My wally world unit before it's upgrade use to lock up on channel 41. After the upgrade it worked fine it's software is 2.7.11(2.4.18-15) db2010 it does the overnight rescan usually I have channels that are at least 80 miles away (skip I guess) usually gone by the afternoon....Picks up stations 50 miles away with ease I think most of them are at full power now.

I have two more units (subscription units with the fta upgrades) that at different times will lose audio/video. They have to have the powered off reset done. They do this maybe once every few weeks. Guess What? both of them are losing the audio/video while on channel 41.

The wally never has to be reset.... Would love to have the software used to set these units up and correct these issues we are seeing or I guess I could breakdown and buy the newest samsung unit again. Which didin't pick up channels as good as the db2010s.....
post #736 of 1562 Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post

Picks up stations 50 miles away with ease I think most of them are at full power now.

What do you have up for an antenna rig? What kind of surrounding terrain are you dealing with?
post #737 of 1562 Old 06-28-2007, 05:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a HT-7012 receiver. Recently the top of the unit on the middle left side was getting hot. About a week ago the unit would not get past the "please wait" screen. I opened the unit and found that one of the capacitors on the power supply board had a bulging top. It was the 47 uf electrolytic nearest the center of the board. I just got the replacement today and installed it. Everything works fine again and the unit is running much cooler!
post #738 of 1562 Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:

What do you have up for an antenna rig? What kind of surrounding terrain are you dealing with?

I live about 50 miles north and 50 miles south of 2 major cities in this area.

My antennas are a large ratshack uhf/vhf combined with a ratshack uhf only antenna (uhf/vhf pointed north uhf pointed south) connected to a cm7777 preamp. The mast is mounted on a rotator the antennas are mounted on it at around 30 ft above ground. I have the advantage of living on a hill.

To check the amount of stations I can receive use 37091 as the zip

I pretty well pick the stations listed at very minimum of 75% on the db2010 most of them read in the 95% range.

I do have a pair of stations that a station to the south uses analog 15 and the north station uses digital 15. The digital station has a problem staying locked on usually starting around 8pm then the dropouts start.

I have no clue as to why on my other db2010s they occasionally shutdown on channel 41......
post #739 of 1562 Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post

I live about 50 miles north and 50 miles south of 2 major cities in this area.
. . .
To check the amount of stations I can receive use 37091 as the zip

That answers one of my big question about the USDTV. I was looking for someone with a similar situation to my own. I'm not on a hill, but you're using a lesser antenna. With any luck that's almost a push.

My Wally World has two left, and I might go ahead and play with them. Worst scenario, really, is they resell pretty well on eBay.
post #740 of 1562 Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 PM

A few months ago, my box stopped displaying any sort of signal to the TV. I was using it for OTA only, and not through USDTV. The power light remains green at all times (whether I press the power button on or off). Is the unit broken? Or is it locked and I just need to apply the firmware?
post #741 of 1562 Old 07-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

While these are very good receivers, the software does lock up from time to time. Try leaving it unplugged for several hours, and it that does not work try overnight. Also disconnect the antenna cable, since I believe static electricity can sometimes accumulate in the antenna wire and cause problems if allowed to build up.

Also try other outputs (composite, S-video, etc) and see if you get a signal out of any of them.

If it still does not work, I would try to apply the firmware update, since you would really have nothing to lose at that point. I would recommend using the latest version you can find, since there were some audio problems that were fixed in the later versions.

I have not heard of very many of these units dying, but I guess it happens eventually.
post #742 of 1562 Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielerman View Post

Any help in why oh why this box won't pick up frequency 21 with strong signal strength? Like I said only PBS. The sad news is they broadcast 5 channels and the best HD content for a nature nut like myself.

Have you checked antennaweb.org to see if the PBS digital station happens to be broadcast on a VHF, rather than UHF signal? In our area, only one network broadcasts digitally on a VHF signal and the rest are UHF. However, some of the "HDTV" antennas aren't really built to pull in VHF signals and really only focus on UHF. It may just be a matter of hooking up a different antenna. Just a thought.
post #743 of 1562 Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 AM

any one live near Draper Utah? USDTV auction July 17.
http://www.salesandauction.com/7172007.htm
post #744 of 1562 Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 AM

potential for 6,000 db-2010's to be sold on e-bay
post #745 of 1562 Old 07-06-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim se iowa View Post

any one live near Draper Utah? USDTV auction July 17.
http://www.salesandauction.com/7172007.htm

6000 boxes. I wonder if they are going to auction them one at a time. I have one of their antennas as well, and they work pretty good.

Probably a bunch of us live near Draper Utah. If only I knew which one of those computers had the software for the DVR version of this box, I could be rich.
post #746 of 1562 Old 07-06-2007, 06:49 PM

I live in Utah, within a few miles of Draper. I plan on attending this auction. I actually talked to the legal guy that's in charge of the US Digital bankruptcy liquidation; he tried taking bids on the entire lot of 6,000+ units first (even wanted me to make a bid), but with all the red tape and hoops no one was biting. So they planned this auction... as I understand it, it'll be a free-for-all. If they can sell everything together, they will, but most likely it'll go bunch by bunch. AFAIK the computers have all been wiped specifically to prevent folks like us getting our hands on any "tools" they may or may not have had. Which sucks, as the DB2010 would be an awesome little modded box...
post #747 of 1562 Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I think they already are showing up on eBay. I submit:

eBay item #110146541033.

Dude selling it has to make two turns in order to get to the auction site.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=West+Jo...i=map&ct=title
post #748 of 1562 Old 07-07-2007, 01:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I think they already are showing up on eBay. I submit:

eBay item #110146541033.

Dude selling it has to make two turns in order to get to the auction site.

Look at his selling history, he has also sold quite a few of them in the past.
So he definitely must have some sort of line on getting them,
post #749 of 1562 Old 07-07-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm just wondering how long before all this selling drives down the price. IF 6,000 of these show up on eBay it's going to be hard to keep getting $50-80 for one.
post #750 of 1562 Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe those long-promised $50 digital set top tuners will finally become a reality, now that I have absolutely no use for such a device.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page