Walmart US Digital STB Questions - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1562 Old 11-15-2007, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, it's not QAM compatible as far as I know. I just bought a Samsung DTB-H260F which is awesome, and at under a $100, a very good deal. I just use it for OTA, but it'll do cable too. I got it at overstockdealz.com if you're interested.

Kevin Davis
<>< <>< <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1562 Old 11-24-2007, 03:45 PM

I've got a DB-2010 that has never been activated, and was trying to configure it for OTA free reception. I downloaded the RAR from msg #623 and put the image onto a USB drive after downloading the Ext2IFS driver as suggested in the other posts. I used the image restore function on the image tool to put it onto a USB drive. (I am not at all certain I have performed this step correctly as I am not Linux literate. The drive seems to be reformatted properly as I can see a Linux partition on it when I put it back into my XP machine.)

Anyway, when I put the USB drive into the 2010, nothing seems to happen. The box goes from the USDTV splash screen to the original set-up screen, whereupon I ask it to scan for channels. It does so. After the scan, it says it cannot find the activation channel (of course I knew it would not find that since they are out of business!) with the phone number etc to call for help as per an original set-up protocol. This leads me to believe the new firmware has not been installed correctly.

Is it possible to convert these boxes to OTA if they have never been activated?

If so, any help would be appreciated. It may be that I am not installing the software correctly, but I don't know. So that is my two pronged problem. Any help?
post #813 of 1562 Old 11-25-2007, 02:35 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDTVer View Post

If so, any help would be appreciated. It may be that I am not installing the software correctly, but I don't know. So that is my two pronged problem. Any help?

Sent you a couple of PMs First one no good the second maybe ok read them for the info
post #814 of 1562 Old 11-30-2007, 03:29 PM

Remember back when US Digital went out of business? How long ago was that? It seems like ages, well over a year anyway. I had their service near the end, and it was a real confusing mess. When they still had a viable phone number and the channels started dropping, I called them. I was told that they'd gone into bankruptcy, and according to their computer I was all paid up... it was just over. They said they didn't even care what I did with the box. I've kept the USDtv unit around (got it originally at a thrift store for $15), flashed with the latest OTA firmware. I mean, the new house has a roof antenna- so why not use it?

Today I get the mail and find a notice from a collection agency telling me I owe USDtv $103 and change- "pay immediately or it's going on your credit report." WTFH?! I call up the collection place and this is pretty much how it went:

Me: I don't owe this amount. I verified with USD when they were still around that I was paid up. Who do I speak with?

Them: We bought the billing from them, they are gone. There's no one to speak with. You owe us the $103 now.

Me: But I don't owe. I pay my bills. I specifically called about it. Do you know how many unpaid months of $20 service I'd have to use to add up to $103?

Them: All we have to go by is their billing information. It indicates you owe $103. So now you owe us $103.

Me: So what if I dispute this? I really don't owe anything.

Them: (and this is a direct quote) "I don't know. I can mark your account as being disputed, but I don't think it matters. They're out of business now, there's no one to resolve it. It's up to you to prove you paid; otherwise it goes on your credit report."

Seriously, WTH?

Does anyone else remember the last days of USDtv subscription service? It was chaos. No one I know got a bill (I just kept paying anyway). There was at least one 'reorganization' period prior, and now their shoddy bookkeeping practices are being valued as gospel so former dedicated customers can be screwed a little more. And $103? They're saying I got away with five friggin months of not paying service?! I doubt that! USDtv would unauthorize your box after two months of missed payments, IIRC from my support calls when I first got it set up. So because they're gone, I can't dispute it. Because they didn't give final bills or keep record of payments, it shows I have a balance I can't prove I paid. And now because a collection agency has ownership of their billing, I'm either paying over a hundred bucks or dinging my credit.

This is seriously unfair, so I had to vent, sorry. I hope they don't all come after other people here.
post #815 of 1562 Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 PM

You need to talk to a consumer advocacy group about collections, I'm not entirely sure, but it would surprise me if this is a deal where they buy the billing from a company in hopes of fooling people into paying bills that they aren't in any obligation to pay.

If you have an attorney, better yet. I'd guess that the collections agency would have to prove you owe them anything, not the other way around. You should go back and retroactively document that conversation and what steps you took to rectify the situation.

Good luck. Remember, collections agencies are almost 100% crooks. They will do anything to get you to pay.

If you have a chance, you could call the Dave Ramsey show, he usually has great advice, and since this is a unique situation, seems likely you'd get on...

Kevin Davis
<>< <>< <><
post #816 of 1562 Old 11-30-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth View Post

You need to talk to a consumer advocacy group about collections, I'm not entirely sure, but it would surprise me if this is a deal where they buy the billing from a company in hopes of fooling people into paying bills that they aren't in any obligation to pay.

If you have an attorney, better yet. I'd guess that the collections agency would have to prove you owe them anything, not the other way around. You should go back and retroactively document that conversation and what steps you took to rectify the situation.

Good luck. Remember, collections agencies are almost 100% crooks. They will do anything to get you to pay.

If you have a chance, you could call the Dave Ramsey show, he usually has great advice, and since this is a unique situation, seems likely you'd get on...

I was going to suggest Dave Ramsey....

At least email him sounds like a crock He will possibly have some kind of answer Good Luck!
post #817 of 1562 Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 PM

hello all,

newbie here with first post so excuse my hdtv ignorance....... hooked up DB2010 with composite cables since that was the only choice on the tv..... hooked up antenna

turned on box and it has two green stable lights...... turned on the tv and all I get is snow ....... this is one of the ebay specials I bought before reading your forum...... any suggestions on how to proceed..... checked tv setup to make sure it was set to air ..... double checked cables to verify proper connections

thanks a bunch, you guys have posted a ton of knowledge
post #818 of 1562 Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n440sx View Post

hello all,

newbie here with first post so excuse my hdtv ignorance....... hooked up DB2010 with composite cables since that was the only choice on the tv..... hooked up antenna

turned on box and it has two green stable lights...... turned on the tv and all I get is snow ....... this is one of the ebay specials I bought before reading your forum...... any suggestions on how to proceed..... checked tv setup to make sure it was set to air ..... double checked cables to verify proper connections

thanks a bunch, you guys have posted a ton of knowledge

You may need to set your tv's input to whatever input you placed the composite outputs of the DB-2010 to on your tv. Set the tv to video1,2 or 3 etc whichever it's hooked up to.

What kind of tv(brand model) are you hooking it up to so we can help you hook it up correctly...

You have picked a great forum for hdtv answers
post #819 of 1562 Old 11-30-2007, 09:53 PM

the tv is GE analog model 27GT618 and the video in is set to channel 3

thank you
post #820 of 1562 Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:

the tv is GE analog model 27GT618 and the video in is set to channel 3

thank you

I can't find a manual for this model of tv.

1. What type of inputs are available on this television
Are they labeled as video or s-video or component or composite Do they even exist on this model of tv?
Describe what you can see on the back or side of the set

Maybe we can get somewhere on your problem

the 2010 has no pass thru it is an antenna in only unit that the outputs are s-video component or composite the composite must be ran thru an rf modulator to you tv antenna it the tv has no usable inputs tht match any of the output to the 2010

I would be good if you had a pic of the connection on your tv since I can't a guide for your tv

Sorry no solution tonight on your problem as of yet if I could just find a manual...
post #821 of 1562 Old 12-01-2007, 04:16 AM

the inputs are composite .... it does not have s-video or component inputs

thank you very much
post #822 of 1562 Old 12-02-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:

the inputs are composite .... it does not have s-video or component inputs
thank you very much

If your TV has the Yellow/Red/White composite inputs, channel three will not be correct. If you can't find an Input Select or Source button, try entering the channel "00" using the remote. Often this will bring up A/V.
post #823 of 1562 Old 12-02-2007, 11:34 AM

DB2010 hookup for composite inputs only tvs

Install outdoor antenna (or indoor amplified antenna or rabbit ears depends on how far away you may be from towers) output coax to "antenna" on DB-2010

Yellow video out on DB-2010 to yellow video in on tv
red,white audio out on DB-2010 to red,white audio in on tv

Set tv to the video input you used when installing video audio cable from DB-2010

Power up DB-2010- video will possibly be distorted do not panic there are remote settings that will get the picture to show correctly this is assuming the tv will only accept 480I input....Then follow on screen instructions.

to get 480i if the screen is distorted

press "GUIDE"
press "ASPECT"
Press "GUIDE"

Press 2 for 480I
Press 3 for 480P
Press 4 for 720P
Press 5 for 1080I

Note this receiver will only tune "ota" signals not a qam tuner

Hope you get it to work
post #824 of 1562 Old 12-02-2007, 03:10 PM

thanks to you both smintn & CharredPC ! ! ! ...... using the input select got the unit recognized and using the other steps had it scanning for channels...... it works ! !

thank you again for taking the time to help a newbie ....... you guys make the forum a great place ! ! ....... have a nice evening .......
post #825 of 1562 Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 PM

Just want to drop in and share a good buy for these USD/Hisense ATSC tuners. I bought one from 'marsmansproserv' on eBay, and it works PERFECTLY in picking up all the digital stations in my area (Washington DC). And when I checked the firmware revision on the box, it's actually using the db2020 software!

I believe this seller still has plenty of these receivers for auction, so if you want to pick one up and try out OTA HDTV, this is a very good way to go IMO.
post #826 of 1562 Old 12-04-2007, 06:00 AM

Marsman is the guy to buy from on ebay, excellent seller, and good product.

Kevin Davis
<>< <>< <><
post #827 of 1562 Old 12-07-2007, 11:54 AM

i have a walmart reciever,live in southern minnesota,and never subscribed to programming.i recieve digital channels and guide and everything is in working order.marsman is selling sticks again on ebay and was wondering if i should upgrade????

also read this-
do not know where this information about a USB dongle came from but it is not required. I have two USDTV HD tuners and all you need to unlock them is a sequence of buttons presses via the remote: red guide, program info, aspect, info, 1. That's all. It's that easy. Why USDTV is not providing this information is beyond me. I understand that there are some that may not be comfortable doing this themselves and would like a third-party company to come and do it for them, but for the general public, it sure seems a lot easier then waiting for a serviceman to come around. USDTV could have posted this key sequence on their website as easily as I have done here.

edit-disreguard second part as it was answered in other posts.

i
post #828 of 1562 Old 12-07-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikness View Post

...I have two USDTV HD tuners and all you need to unlock them is a sequence of buttons presses via the remote: red guide, program info, aspect, info, 1. That's all.

If you were able to do this and it changed a subscription box to a FTA box, then that is pretty lucky IMHO.

The remote key sequence mentioned above it to toggle which flash chip is used to boot. There are two sets of flash chips on the system board. When an upgrade occurs, it upgrades the non-active chip. After the update complete successfully, it will boot from the newly upgraded flash.

Glad the boxes are working for you. But when I tried that sequence before getting the USB subscription to FTA upgrade, it only flipped me back to an older subscription version of the software.
post #829 of 1562 Old 12-18-2007, 12:41 PM

sounds to me like glikness' boxes were originally Walmart boxes that used the subscription service. so glikness may have the original software running. check your software version.

press menu
goto- setup, system information

the new walmart box version is-
2.7.11(2.4.18-15)
post #830 of 1562 Old 12-19-2007, 06:01 AM

I have a newbie question. Can the component video from the 2010 be used on an analog TV with component video input?
post #831 of 1562 Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Component? You mean separate red, green and blue video inputs? Yes. Composite too.

The only time you will have a problem is with a really old TV with just a coaxial input, but there are even adapters that will covert a composite input to coax.
post #832 of 1562 Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 AM

Yes, seperate cables......YPbPr
post #833 of 1562 Old 12-20-2007, 01:39 PM

Hi,
newbie here. I am having sorta the same problems as USDTVer was in creating the usb pen drive. when I go into the image utility and select the target, my 1 Gb pendrive shows 4 mbr choices. I have tried each of these and it acts like it finishes but when I try to look at it, it still just shows up as a fat formated 1Gb pendrive, blank of any info. and it doesn't mount on the 2010 ether. I went and got a simple 64 Mb usb flash drive today and will try it again tonight, but if anyone has any ideas about what I am doing wrong, please let me know. Or if usduser4000 wants to take pity on a fellow Albuquerqueian and help me figure out what I am overlooking. I am a WinTel wiennie. do system support for a living, but what few linux skills I ever had are frozen solid with rust.

Thanks, Allen
post #834 of 1562 Old 12-20-2007, 05:20 PM

does anyone have the downloaded manuals for both versions of the 2010, i.e. the US Digital over the air version, and the USDTV subscription version?
I have searched online for a old mirror site or something where they might still be, but no luck. If you have ether of them, please ether e-mail them to me or send the link where I can get them.

thanks, Allen
post #835 of 1562 Old 12-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

IIRC, the manual is only about 6 pages long and just shows you how to connect the cables, etc. What did you want to find out? This thread here has 100 times more info than you'll find in that manual.
post #836 of 1562 Old 12-28-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastric View Post

does anyone have the downloaded manuals for both versions of the 2010, i.e. the US Digital over the air version, and the USDTV subscription version?
I have searched online for a old mirror site or something where they might still be, but no luck. If you have ether of them, please ether e-mail them to me or send the link where I can get them.

thanks, Allen

Reply:
Please send me your regular email address and I will send you the manual in PDF format. marsman@prodigy.net Put Hisense Manual in the subject box.
Good Luck
ProServ1
post #837 of 1562 Old 12-28-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir View Post

IIRC, the manual is only about 6 pages long and just shows you how to connect the cables, etc. What did you want to find out? This thread here has 100 times more info than you'll find in that manual.

The manual is actually about 33 pages long with a lot of good info. I will send you a copy if you like. Just send me your request to marsman@prodigy.net
Good Luck
ProServ1
post #838 of 1562 Old 12-28-2007, 12:40 PM

To all AVS members who have an interest in the Hisense DB 2010 OTA receivers.
I am marsmansproserv from Ebay. I purchased the remaining inventory from the bankrupted U.S. Digtial TV back in August of 2007. I own by acquistion all the remaining Hisense units that they had in their possession. I also purchased most of the computers that had source code and software for these boxes in their hardrive memories. We will be the only source for upgrades, repairs, replacements etc., of the Hisense DB 2010s. We are also working in conjunction with the manufacturer of these units and they will not be offering any form of support for them as they manufactured them soley for U.S. Digital and no one else. Most of you who have tested and used these units have found them to be better built, more sensitive and user friendly than any other converter on the market today. If you are anyone else you know is interested in purchasing these units, I would suggest that they do not hesitate, because at the current rate of sales we will likely run completely out of these units in about 6 months or less from Jan 1st 2008. If I can help you with technical support for what you have allready purchased or you need spare parts, remotes or manuals please go to our website for additional information to obtain that support.
www.proserv1.com
Good Luck
Proserv1
post #839 of 1562 Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proserv1 View Post

Most of you who have tested and used these units have found them to be...more sensitive...than any other converter on the market today.

Not hardly. They're excellent in a lot of other ways - but sensitivity isn't one of their strong points - not compared to what's out there now, anyway. They don't come close to the 5th and 6th generation-chipped tuners, and aren't even as good as some other 4th gen. ones.

If you have borderline reception of any stations, you'd be better off with a newer one. But if your signal strength/SNR is good, you're OK.
post #840 of 1562 Old 12-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proserv1 View Post

The manual is actually about 33 pages long with a lot of good info. I will send you a copy if you like. Just send me your request to marsman@prodigy.net
Good Luck
ProServ1

So you're calling me a liar? My manual that I go with my receiver that I bought at Wal Mart brand new for $199 had a very short user's manual that only showed how to connect the cable and turn the unit on and basic set up.

I agree with the poster above that your claims seem a bit, "spammy" to me, and I'm not sure it's really appropriate for you to advertise your product here.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page