Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post

Yes do the DST fix

Just let us know where to download it from

Thanks

Updated the mediafire to have a linux folder and windows folder. I have not tested so much on this as I put it in pretty quickly. It still has the toggle back feature. Please let me know if this fixes your DST problem. It did fix it on my boxes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5...12cc0853efd9eb

-----

- Update the /usr/share/zoneinfo files with the new DST rules. Fixes the daylight saving time issue.
- Add the password to the prompt for the serial comm -- now reads "Password (xyzzy):"
- Turn off debug statments to console (for performance consideration -- didn't see much improvement though)
- By default, turn off gathering statistics (for performance consideration). You can enable stats via the Diagnostics menus from the Setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1562 Old 03-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, will give it a try tonight
post #993 of 1562 Old 03-18-2008, 03:59 PM

It worked! Thanks again.
post #994 of 1562 Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim se iowa View Post

It worked! Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback. I assume you are in CST6CDT timezone. Anyone in the Eastern timezone give it a try to see if it works?

Those in the Eastern timezone couldn't use the "manual" fix since there was was not a timezone to their east listed in the UI to spring forward to.

Glad it worked for you.
post #995 of 1562 Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 PM

Liked: 13
Tried downloading the update several times on a dialup and a dsl running system.

I get errors when I try the makekey for the tar file.

I finally got a good copy of the bin file downloaded. The bin file will only work on my original subscription to fta units. I can't get it to work on my wally world fta unit.

I appears to work on the sub to fta unit ok. the dst is correct

Thanks for the update
post #996 of 1562 Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:

Tried downloading the update several times on a dialup and a dsl running system.

I get errors when I try the makekey for the tar file.

I finally got a good copy of the bin file downloaded. The bin file will only work on my original subscription to fta units. I can't get it to work on my wally world fta unit.

I appears to work on the sub to fta unit ok. the dst is correct

Thanks for the update

What version of software are the wally world running? If they are running the 2.9.2 (from the linux build), it should not make a difference.

I pulled the makekey from the vanillahd site (I did not test it). What type of errors are you getting? You can alway un-zip/tar the linux and then follow the steps in post #922 of this thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12976213)

I think the linux files reinstall everything (kernel, boot, app). I don't know that the .bin file does all of that. I think not, but don't know for sure.

Are the download problems due to your connection or mediafire you think?
post #997 of 1562 Old 03-19-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 View Post

What version of software are the wally world running?

I'll have to get back with you on the errors

All my db-2010's are running 2.9.2 including the walmart one. The walmart one just ignores the .bin file on the usb Now there is a possibility the usb is not working I will check it out later using the diagnostics in 2.9.2 where it will output a file to the usb

The sub unit just took the file(bin) and loaded. didn't try the tar couldn't make key

I started having problems when I looked at it with winzip. You know most of the time winzip will let you preview tar files without a problem,
I kept saying trailing garbage in gzip,decompression ended but it will show almost 11 meg of data in file

I also tried a fresh copy of the file and ran my linux software to make the key I'll have to run it again and pass on the error results I saw I don't think it showed anything but errors did occured,

I will download another fresh copy and not look at it with winzip and see what happens got to verify the usb slot first..

I am using dyne bolic for my linux cd on the first update keys it worked very well maybe something is wrong with my linux cd
thanks for the help

Well got to get back to work
post #998 of 1562 Old 03-19-2008, 04:24 PM

I have the walmart box and used the zipped .bin file from the windows dir (mediafire) and had no problems. I did revert to the fta update that was sent to me by US Digital so that it would install on top of the 2.9.2 version. I inserted the memory card reader that i copied the 2.9.3 bin file to and held the power button 4 seconds to reboot, then waited for the update to complete.
so you might try updating from something other than 2.9.2 ? just a thought.
post #999 of 1562 Old 03-19-2008, 04:30 PM

All my units have the upgrade loaded. I downloaded the linux files again from mediafire and it successfully loaded on the usb stick.

I guess the other downloads were corrupted. I don't understand yet why the .bin file would only load on the subscription unit and not on the original fta unit.

Before I tried downloading any of the updates I had reverted back from the 2.9.2 to whatever was in the other flashes. That's why I couldn't understand about the .bin file

Oh well...

dogleg69 once again thanks for the files
post #1000 of 1562 Old 03-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:

dogleg69 once again thanks for the files

You guys are welcome. All my boxes upgraded and they had the 2.9.2 so I don't exactly know what the disconnect was. I would agree that maybe the downloads were corrupted.

Glad it worked. I learned alot about the zoneinfo compiler (zic) on linux and tzdata rules.
post #1001 of 1562 Old 03-21-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Glad it worked. I learned alot about the zoneinfo compiler (zic) on linux and tzdata rules.

It's working great on my units. It may be my imagination but with the diagnostics disabled it seems to change channels and shows video just a little bit faster......and the programming guide seems to load faster too
post #1002 of 1562 Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 PM

Well one of my boxes is acting a little weard, I updated all of my boxes with 2.7.15 then I went and upgraded all of them except my dad's with 2.9.2. When I went to try to update his with 2.9.2 and 2.9.3, his box shows the please wait message, goes blank and tries to access the mem stick. While this happens, the box shows a blinking power light and after a few minutes stops accessing the sitck but the power light is still blinking, apparently stuck in a infinite loop. I unplug the box and the mem stick and restart it, the box seems just fine. The updates seem to be installed but when I look at the sys info it says the version is still 2.7.15 and no extra menus are installed. The weard thing is that the box seems to accknowledge the time now.

I figured that my dad had a diffrent box than the others...than again what do you guys think?
post #1003 of 1562 Old 03-21-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usduser4000 View Post

Well one of my boxes is acting a little weard, I updated all of my boxes with 2.7.15 then I went and upgraded all of them except my dad's with 2.9.2. When I went to try to update his with 2.9.2 and 2.9.3, his box shows the please wait message, goes blank and tries to access the mem stick. While this happens, the box shows a blinking power light and after a few minutes stops accessing the sitck but the power light is still blinking, apparently stuck in a infinite loop. I unplug the box and the mem stick and restart it, the box seems just fine. The updates seem to be installed but when I look at the sys info it says the version is still 2.7.15 and no extra menus are installed. The weard thing is that the box seems to accknowledge the time now.

I figured that my dad had a diffrent box than the others...than again what do you guys think?

Are you using the linux or FAT/.bin file on the USB stick?

That isn't adding up. What version is your Dad's box? If you are using the .bin file, I would make a key using Linux and try that. The .bin file is actually a "user upgrade". The linux is a reinstall.

The only way the time would be fixed is if the update replaced the files in the /usr/share/zoneinfo on the flash that is used to boot. This should not have happened unless the upgrade was successful. Remember there are two sets of NAND flash. The box boots off of only one at a time. It doesn't toogle unless the update is successful.

Provide some additional info and we (someone on the forum) will try to help.
post #1004 of 1562 Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 AM

I am using the .bin file, I don't know what's going on....This box is not acting like the other ones I upgraded.
It should have worked, I used the .bin file on all of my other boxes (I have about 5)
My Dad's box is software version 2.7.15 untuched since the last major usd update. I will try to make a linux key and see if that does the trick.

Thanks.
post #1005 of 1562 Old 03-24-2008, 02:16 PM

I suggest you try it again.
it takes quite awhile to copy the file then reboot. you begin to wonder if something went wrong. when my box finished mine started in standby mode both lights red. i had to turn it on..

Did it ever tell you to remove the USB stick?
post #1006 of 1562 Old 03-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Hello,
I have two USDTV Hisense Digital Recievers bought from ebay and both must have a firmware problem. Because when doing a channel scan both lock up on the local PBS , KET (channel 42). They cannot be manually added either. It shows fine signal strength but no picture.
I contacted KET and they gave me this website. The boxes show
software 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) hardware db2020. Any advise or help with contacts for the firmware upgrade is greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
post #1007 of 1562 Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 PM

Where are you located (maybe someone else in your area can chime in)?
Do all other stations come in fine and show both video and audio?
What video connection are you using (composite, s-video or component)?
What % strength does the Adjust Antenna show on KET?

You can upgrade to the 2.9.3 version. It may or may not help. Since we don't know the difference between 2.7.15 and 2.9.1, there may have been something to help the issue. The 2.9.2 and 2.9.3 did not put in any changes to fix that type of problem.

Try upgrading one of the boxes to 2.9.3:

post #1008 of 1562 Old 03-25-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
In case they are of any use Here are a couple of posts, elsewhere about the KET+Hisense receiver issue :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post11007688

Including Response from KET engineer :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3095

-----

FWIW, personally I have Hisense DB2010 (purchased at Walmart in 2005, non-subscriber box) - using firmware ver 2.5.61 (2.4.18-7) and can decode KET digital services (KET1~4) fine, I receive them via KET's Covington, KY ( N KY) transmitter. Given I've heard of some issues with this box+their signal, I've been reluctant to upgrade the firmware on it from the older version on my box, since for the most part it works just fine - my only real issue with it is the DST "issue" and it currently being "off" an hour for the EPG info.

Note I also currently usually use the Hisense receiver only with an antenna set up to receive Dayton, OH stations only(in dirfferent direction from Cincinnati+N KY stations), however so I haven't done any extensive testing with them - But, I Did just climb into attic to switch the antenna feeds around so my other antenna setup is fed into the bedroom with the DB2010, to "try it" to make sure I didn't remember it wrong, and it decoded the KET services (including currently HD on KET3) just fine, but there were some minor glicthes involving the "signal meter" sticking on screen+KET2 guide info showing up for KET3, and the inability to tune to KET2/3 "directly" from the EPG grid screen (after switching to another channel then channel up/down through KET1/2/3/4/etc, the signal meter info/etc. didn't "stick on screen" and all seemed well).

Do note that The way William has explained how KET has things "set up" however, I can't say I'm 100% certian, but I don't think it should matter which of their transmitters one receives them from -- In other words, I think it should work "the same" no matter which KET transmitter you're receiving, except for example, in Lexington, you'd see the KET program streams remap from WKLE-DT 42 to 46.1~4 instead of as in my case from WCVN-DT 24 remapping to # 54.1~4 .... an abbreviated version which I think is hopefully accurate enough is, Basically, KET encodes everything in Lexington (it isn't reencoded at transmitter site), and the PSIP VCT info (and TSID for each transmitter) is "rebranded" at the transmitter site ...

Hope some of that helps ...

Jeff
post #1009 of 1562 Old 03-25-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewatchman View Post

FWIW, personally I have Hisense DB2010 (purchased at Walmart in 2005, non-subscriber box) - using firmware ver 2.5.61 (2.4.18-7) and can decode KET digital services (KET1~4) fine, I receive them via KET's Covington, KY ( N KY) transmitter. Given I've heard of some issues with this box+their signal, I've been reluctant to upgrade the firmware on it from the older version on my box, since for the most part it works just fine - my only real issue with it is the DST "issue" and it currently being "off" an hour for the EPG info.

Great info. Thanks.

If you want to give the 2.9.3 a try, it has a feature to toggle back. Since there are two NAND flash (one with your 2.5.61 and one with ???), it will upgrade and install to the ???. If you don't like the 2.9.3, you can flip the switch and go back to boot off of 2.5.61. It would also be a good experiment for the KET (if you are willing) and you could post if you see any difference. It will also fix the DST issue.

If you do upgrade to 2.9.3, please use the linux verison. I don't know if the mmstartup will mount a vfat on the 2.5.61.
post #1010 of 1562 Old 03-26-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you do upgrade to 2.9.3, please use the linux verison. I don't know if the mmstartup will mount a vfat on the 2.5.61.

Throwing caution to the wind, tried upgrading it from 2.5.61 to 2.9.3 using the windows version+following the instructions in the README_windows.txt - i.e. used fat32 volume, no volume label+with filename usdigital_update.bin from file downloaded/extracted from the 2.9.3 zip archive from windows update folder at your mediafire site, plugged in USB stick into DB2010, then unplugged the unit/plugged it back in :

It didn't work for some reason(as you say, perhaps it may be because 2.5.61 may not be able to mount the fat32 volume in order to perform the upgrade in the first place?) ==== Nothing happened (other than Red LED on USB stick lighting up) ---

After inserting usbstick with unit plugged in, then uplugging A/C, then plugging it back in(I waited a while before plugging it back in) the box powered up as normal with the USB stick inserted, the "usdigital" blue screen appeared, and I got a message I didn't have time to read before it powered itself off (something to do with the box is going to enter stand by mode/etc ) ... Note that it does the same thing if a USB stick wasn't inserted and you unplugged the unit/plug it back in .... I went ahead and waited about 15 minutes to see if anything else happened, but it didn't ... powering back up/etc, the Box functions as normal and firmware wasn't updated .... Tried it a 2nd time "just in case", same thing happened ....

Anyway, as for trying the linux version --- unless there is a utility available for win32 that would let me format ext2 on USB stick, otherwise it would probably be a bit too inconvienent for me to mess with because :

#1). Latest Linux distrubitions I have are on a (non-bootable) "spring 1994 Linux Quarterly" CD ....

#2). I'm on dialup + (sorry!) but it is not really worth it to me to try to download or purchase a Linux distrubition on CD just to upgrade the firmware on this USDTV box, especially as for my needs it's working fine currently just as it is ..... Yeah, it would be nice to get the DST "fix", but who knows when TPTB might change the DST "dates" again, anyway, LOL ....

Sorry I couldn't be of more help ...

Jeff
post #1011 of 1562 Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 PM

Nitewatchman - thanks for trying. Basically, the older mmstartup script does not issue the mount -t vfat command.

If someone knows how to create an ext2 bootable filesystem on a usb stick from windows, please post. I've looked around and can't find a free solution.
post #1012 of 1562 Old 03-28-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:

If someone knows how to create an ext2 bootable filesystem on a usb stick from windows, please post. I've looked around and can't find a free solution.

Found a very nice dd utility for windows (http://www.chrysocome.net/dd). I used it to create an image of a ext2 formatted 16MB USB drive with the 2.9.3 software on it.

So, if you don't have access to linux and are on an older version of the software (pre 2.7.15), you can go here for a solution:

Look in the usingPre_2.7.15 folder. There is a zip file that contains the dd command and the image. There is a README-usdtv.txt that has some instructions. I don't expect too many people to need this. If you are on dial up, the zip is around 11MB.

This is really for people who don't have access to Linux and are running on an older version of the software that will not recognize the .bin file from a FAT (the mmstartup script doesn't mount -t vfat).
post #1013 of 1562 Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used it to create an image of a ext2 formatted 16MB USB drive with the 2.9.3 software on it.....

This is really for people who don't have access to Linux and are running on an older version of the software that will not recognize the .bin file from a FAT (the mmstartup script doesn't mount -t vfat).

Tried it, nothing happened - Maybe I'm doing something wrong/missing something? (followed directions in readme file precisely, more info below) ...

Same behavior on the DB2010 as I got with the windows *.bin 2.9.3 upgrade version - I.e. after plugging box back in with USB stick plugged in, LED at end of USBstick is lit up-* , I get the USdigital screen for a bit, then it enters "standby mode" with the quick the "entering standy mode" message ...

* - However, note that when first plugging it in I did observe this time that the LED quickly blinks 17 times in a "led off/on" manner, then 2 more times less "substantially", then LED is just "on" until box is unplugged or USBstick is removed - also I didn't check to see whether or not that happened with the "windows" version with USB stick FAT32 FS ....

The command :

dd if=x293.dd of=\\\\.\\j:

[Note in my case "J:" being the drive letter for USB stick]

Seemed to work, the LED at end of USB stick "blinked" as if it were writing while DD.exe was running, and after it ran it reported :

31584+0 records in
31584+0 records out

------------------------

Note I'm using a 128MB USB stick (only one I have) ... if that's of any interest ...

-------------------------

Anyway, don't know what is going on here, but thanks much for setting that up, hopefully it will be of some use for others ...

sorry, I'm quite rusty on *nix, as it's been about 8 years since I've played around with any of it, and my "playing around with it" was somewhat limited in nature + what I did learn I certianly don't remember a lot of it ...

But, I was going to say earlier, I do have Sun Solaris 8 for x86 "in a box" and about 8 years ago had installed it on a P233MMX machine/played around with it a bit -- Like I say, I don't remember too much about it or if it support ext2/etc (or even USB support in the version I have), but I do have a PII 350 machine(440bx) with USB ports on it gathering dust somewhere in the garage ... I also still have the P233MMX machine that I had installed solaris on previously, but it doesn't have USB ports, and I don't have a ISA or PCI card with USB ports, either ...

If it would be of some use + the hardware is supported to "enough" of a degree, It might be a while before I can get around to it but I could install solaris on that machine and see what happens ...

At this point though, I'm not sure what good it would do, since this didn't work ... ... Just a wild thought, assuming the FS and file on the USBstick is OK(I can't tell/check it with WinXP filemanager) I wonder if its possible there's a jumper or something that needs to be changed on DB2010 in order to allow for upgrades ? Or, I can't imagine why, but who knows -- something silly like I need to have video mode set for 480i composite/Svideo instead of 1080i/component ? Or, perhaps there's something "wrong" with my DB2010 concerning reading from the USB port/etc ...

I guess the good thing is, while I'd like to try it(if only for the DST fix), I don't really "need" the upgrade (and even KET decodes fine on my box+with 2.5.61) -- I mostly would just like to test the new version with KET given that I know several folks (including jbberry) have reported problems decoding them with the DB2010 boxes (perhaps involving some firmware versions/etc) but I could be mistaken, but I don't think we have a "list" of which firmware works with them and which doesn't, or a really good idea of what might be causing the problem or going on ...

Jeff
post #1014 of 1562 Old 03-29-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:

sorry, I'm quite rusty on *nix, as it's been about 8 years since I've played around with any of it, and my "playing around with it" was somewhat limited in nature + what I did learn I certianly don't remember a lot of it ...

Nitewatchman do you have a family member or friend that has access to dsl that could help you download a image of the dynebolic live cd. from dynebolic dot org latest version 2.5.2 DHORUBA

Like you I had to basically relearn linux and this cd helped a lot..

I used it to make my usb stick. It is very easy to use this version of linux after it boots. You use midnight commander and the terminal to prepare the usb stick...

You still have to follow dogleg69's instructions in the readme file for linux. But it is very easy to do using the dynebolic cd

Good luck!
post #1015 of 1562 Old 03-29-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nitewatchman do you have a family member or friend that has access to dsl that could help you download a image of the dynebolic live cd. from dynebolic dot org latest version 2.5.2 DHORUBA

No, But thanks for the suggestions/thoughts. Also note I am in rural area, while there are some options available, my "high-speed" internet connection options at present are too expensive to be worth it for what I need/use internet for - someday hopefully that will change however.

Also, again Do please Understand that my DB2010 receiver works just fine for me as it is, so I have no need to upgrade the firmware, and am also in no big hurry to try find a way to try to get a firmware upgrade to work ...

Jeff
post #1016 of 1562 Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Also, again Do please Understand that my DB2010 receiver works just fine for me as it is, so I have no need to upgrade the firmware, and am also in no big hurry to try find a way to try to get a firmware upgrade to work ...

I got your message loud and clear. I was trying to recreate an older set to simulate your 2.5.61 and try an upgrade for you. However, I bricked one of my boxes when I was messing around with it. I corrupted the flash. Not too pleased with myself for that one.

If you want to try and work through an upgrade path/solution, post here. Thanks for trying what you did and contributing to the effort.
post #1017 of 1562 Old 03-30-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got your message loud and clear. I was trying to recreate an older set to simulate your 2.5.61 and try an upgrade for you. However, I bricked one of my boxes when I was messing around with it. I corrupted the flash.

Bummer! That "sort of thing" really wasn't what I was getting at, but I certianly don't want that to happen, either.

Anyway, as long as I can go back to 2.5.61 if necesssary, as long as it isn't too inconvienient, I'm more than willing to try the new version "for the good of everyone" or anyone it might help, and for the "fun" of getting it to work/testing it/etc and "see what happens" (as long as I can go back to current version if I have problems) ...

I'm just saying, the reason I posted here was to provide some info regarding jbberry's problem. And, while I would be glad to test the newer 2.9.3 version to see if it works with KET here as well, as I noted before, given that I'm on a slow dialup connection/etc and have no other reason currently to install, or try to find/etc. a Bootable CD with a linux distribution if necessary, I'm not going to go TOO far out of my way about it to try to get it to work, as there is no need to do so, and it isn't like I don't have plenty of other things to do ...

Now, that being said, if that is next step to try, if I run across a inexpensive, recent Linux distribution on CD/etc somewhere in my "travels" at some point (or something along those lines), then surely I'll likely "pick it up" and give the linux version a try + post about it here ... If that indeed is the "next step" to try, If It does work out, it might be a while (possibly a long while) before that happens ....

Or, is there a "lite" version of Linux that would work (preferably bootable I can burn onto a CD), say that wouldn't be more than a ~40ish MB or so download? I've done as big as about a 70MB Download overnight via dial-up connection or with bit-torrent with success, but files that big are sometimes a pain to download if the connection degrades due to poor line conditions (which seems to happen here occasionally at odd times in the middle of the night) ...

Quote:

If you want to try and work through an upgrade path/solution, post here.

Certianly, don't mind trying that. However I don't want YOU (or anyone else) to go too far out of your way about it either, since it is not necessary for me to upgrade, other than to "see if we can get it to work" for upgrading from the older version, and what happens with it+KET, in case it is of any use for others ....

Jeff
post #1018 of 1562 Old 03-30-2008, 04:22 PM

If the dd command didn't work, I doubt you getting a Linux CD will work either. Both *should* produce the same image on the flash. No worries about me bricking the unit. I have been fortunate not to do it yet

I will work on trying to revive the box and see if I can figure something out. If so, I'll let you know. I work on this because I enjoy it -- only do it when I have time (like everyone, time comes and goes). I appreciate you trying and the info.
post #1019 of 1562 Old 03-30-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the dd command didn't work, I doubt you getting a Linux CD will work either. Both *should* produce the same image on the flash.

Yeah, I thought that using the DD would work, and that perhaps it would have issued some sort of error while running it if it didn't get written to the stick ok ...

I'm just hoping there is not some sort of "hardware" issue involved with my unit regarding capability to upgrade it at all, wish there was a way I could find out because if so, I'd think there's no use in trying anything farther on this, unless it might be benficial with someone else using 2.5.61/etc ...

Jeff
post #1020 of 1562 Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:

I will work on trying to revive the box

when you say you bricked a box does it just sit there and the leds flash...one of my boxes did something like that and I kept doing the revert flash sequence and it finally came back up to run then I reflashed it at least twice then it finally took the upgraded software

It made me think one of the sets of flash chips had gone belly-up

Maybe something similiar happened to your box

Let us know your solution if you find one.......
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page