Walmart US Digital STB Questions - Page 35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1021 of 1562 Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
question: What are you people doing?? I just purchased one of these db2010's from ebay and am trying to get it working. I tried reading the last few pages but couldn't make a whole lot of sense of it all. What are the benefits of the new firmwares? I am trying to get mine to work with a crappy $20 Philips antenna w/ very limited success. All the channels have constant dropouts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1562 Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolemite77 View Post

What are the benefits of the new firmwares? I am trying to get mine to work with a crappy $20 Philips antenna w/ very limited success. All the channels have constant dropouts.

Take a look at the release notes on the mediafire link. How far are you away from source? These boxes are not as sensitive as the newer tuners. However, they still work well and the EPG and picture quality are very nice.

I have found that it comes down to the signal you feed it. I have 2 antennas (a large one to pull 70 miles and a small one to pull 35 miles -- in opposite directions). I had to experiment quite a bit in order to get everything to work properly.

For example, I had both antennas on a 30ft tower. The signal strength was terrible for both. The antennas were stacked about 1 foot on top of each other. Put the smaller one about 15ft lower. That helped out alot. Now, my understanding was you can stack antennas like I had tried, but it didn't work in practice.

Then I ran both to a splitter in reverse and took that single output to an amplifier. The signal strength was still not too good. So, I took each antenna to their own amplifier. Combined the signals after amplifiication. Then split it out to the rest of the house (8 ways). Signal strength is 94-97% on all stations (and analog looks great too).

Just giving you an example to say that I had to spend a bit of time trying things to get it right. There are tons of factors.

As far as the newer version of software, here are the release notes:

2.9.1 - 2006-05-22
-----

Last known release before all of the USDTV engineers were let go because of bankrupcty.
Do not know the difference between 2.7.15 (last offical release) and 2.9.1.

2.9.2 - 2008-01-29
-----

- Update the system time each time the power is turned off using the current channel.
- Expose the diagnostic, revert/toggle NAND flash and nightly update menus.
- Comment out the auto software update (therefore we shouldn't need the nighty update menu).
- Minor change to the System Info screen to clarify version and point people to Proserv (who is the
reason I was able to upgrade my subscription box in the first place - so a kudos to him).

2.9.3 - 2008-03-17
-----

- Update the /usr/share/zoneinfo files with the new DST rules. Fixes the daylight saving time issue.
- Add the password to the prompt for the serial comm -- now reads "Password (xyzzy):"
- Turn off debug statments to console (for performance consideration -- didn't see much improvement though)
- By defualt, turn off gathering statistics (for performance consideration). You can enable stats
via the Diagnostics menus from the Setup.
post #1023 of 1562 Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 AM

Thanks dogleg. I knew it couldn't be that easy. I'll just have to experiment some more. So what is the best inside antenna going these days?
post #1024 of 1562 Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 PM

2.9.3 Sweet! My in-laws will never understand what you've done for
their EDTV. But I do appreciate what you've done.
Regards
Salty
post #1025 of 1562 Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM

Liked: 11
So my Sony HDD250 bricked itself about two weeks ago, and I had to pull out my USDigital box which had been in a closet for quite a while. I bought this box in Wallyworld in 2004, and I think I had the original software. It was was a pretty bad interface, especially after the SonyTVGOS which worked really well for me (despite other's problems with it). I knew a friend who had bought the same box a few months later had a slightly better EPG, so I search, and would up back here on AVSForum (DOn't all roads lead to Rome?).

I found my old USB drive, and it was pretty simple to use Dogleg's link to download the files for the USB drive, and the self-install was amazingly simple. The upgrade took on the first try, and was really made simple, even though I had worked backwards from the last few pages and did not know about the wait time, etc. The other thing I did not know was that Dogleg had actually modded the upgrade. It meshes so perfectly with the original software, that I thought it was a USDigital release (remember I did not know about the bankruptcy...my unit was in a closet!)

So thanks Dogleg! I am incredibly impressed with what you have done, and have taken this box from a pain to something I enjoy using!

Darren

P.S. Has anyone else noticed you can scroll the program info both forward in time and to other channels with the arrows around the "ok" button.? Its a nice feature I don't think existed before the upgrade. My only current gripe is I still think I am not getting full EPG info as some descriptions stop in mid-sentence.
post #1026 of 1562 Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post

So thanks Dogleg! I am incredibly impressed with what you have done, and have taken this box from a pain to something I enjoy using!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad the upgrade worked. I have to give the credit to the MetroMedia guys in Flordia (who were purchased by USDtv). They did a very nice job with the architecture to allow this to be possible. From what I can tell from my research, they were a very talented team. Also kudos to some of the early forum guys that got into this box - niacin, gpsfan, codeman, keith721.

If you were on the USDtv/MetroMedia team, please post here and let us know if it is possible to make this into a DVR (hardware wise namely). I don't want to put the work into trying it if the USB 1.1 won't support it. I have looked into adding DVR functionality and it will take quite a bit of work -- scheduling interface, database or persistence store, event management, decode signal, storage management of USB mounted external disk. All of that without a proper development and test setup. It would take a while.

Since the ATI Xilleon has a built in encode/decode, I think it would be possible to decode the signal once written to disk. I just don't think the USB 1.1 will support the needed throughput for HD quality. But, I'm not an expert on that subject.

Could also possibly add an mp3 jukebox feature. Put your mp3's on the external drive and playback thru the audio out of this box. But, media center and others already do this (if you have an extender).

DISCLAIMER: I was never employed or knew anyone at MetroMedia or USDtv (aside from being a USDtv customer). Just think they did a nice job with their product.
post #1027 of 1562 Old 04-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Pardon my ignorance, everyone but I'm really new to all this. I just bought a Hisense DB-2010 from ebay a couple of days ago and I think I already screwed it up. I need helpl! Please! Right out of the box, all I did was plug in my hd antenna and did an auto scan. It worked! I got all my local hd channels. Well, in playing around with the unit navigating thru the menus, I musta made a wrong selection somewhere in the menu. It rebooted then came back up to what looks like the factory default settings. I did a scan and found no channels. I'm lost! I think I need to flash it?? Can someone direct me to where I can get the flash?

Thanks!!!
post #1028 of 1562 Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 AM

This is where the software is located:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5...12cc0853efd9eb

However, if it scans and doesn't find anything, that usually means the tuner is bad -- I have had a tuner go bad on me.

Can you tell us exactly what you did or what you see on the screen (colors, text, anything will help).

Now if it does scan and finds channels, but then tells you to call USDTV, then you reverted to a subscription box. You will need the "fromService" software.

One thing you can try, let the box boot up and get stable. Then try the following sequence:

Red Guide
Program Info
Aspect
Program Info
1 (one)

It tells it to boot off the other NAND flash.
post #1029 of 1562 Old 04-25-2008, 04:56 PM

(DarrenK) "I still think I am not getting full EPG info as some descriptions stop in mid-sentence."

while in the program guide press (program info) and it will pop up a text box on top of the program guide with space for more text.
post #1030 of 1562 Old 04-26-2008, 04:41 AM

"One thing you can try, let the box boot up and get stable. Then try the following sequence:

Red Guide
Program Info
Aspect
Program Info
1 (one)

It tells it to boot off the other NAND flash."

Will this sequence rollback the box from a newer firmware to the originally installed firmware?

Angelo
post #1031 of 1562 Old 04-26-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

"One thing you can try, let the box boot up and get stable. Then try the following sequence:

Red Guide
Program Info
Aspect
Program Info
1 (one)

It tells it to boot off the other NAND flash."

Will this sequence rollback the box from a newer firmware to the originally installed firmware?

Well, it will perform the toggle. There are two sets of NAND flash chips that hold software on them (active and passive). Say you get a box off of ebay and it is on 2.7.15. Then you upgrade to 2.9.3. So, 2.9.3 is the active bootable software. If you issue the above sequence, it will tell the box to boot from the other NAND flash which in this example would be 2.7.15.

So, it performs a toggle. It will not restore some old/orignal version of software.

Did that answer the question or were you asking something different?
post #1032 of 1562 Old 04-26-2008, 05:04 PM

Yes dogleg69, you answered my question. Just wanted to be sure if I have a problem with the last update that I could still get back to the previous installed firmware.

Thanks!

Angelo
post #1033 of 1562 Old 04-26-2008, 11:47 PM

I love my USDTV box! Thanks to dogleg and the others here I have been able to get it working great! It actually works great with a regular old antenna too! wow!

But, I did notice a few things....

It gets hot. Anyone know if it would be easy to add a simple PC fan inside the unit? There's plenty of room, we'd just need to get the correct power for the fan from somewhere. Anyone have the shematics.. or want to go poking around for a place to connect it?

I'm new to the HD world. My TV is a magnavox LCD, but it isn't HD or widescreen. On the channels broadcasting at 1920x1080 they just appear as a smaller square. Black bars on all four sides. If I put it on zoom 1, it all fits. Any advice?

Also, if I pump the signal out the componant cables to my DVD recorder, what is the best resolution I should choose for the best recorded picture?

I love this box! I came to this forum about a year ago asking questions. It's nice to come back and see how much activity has occured to make this really an exciting project!

tech-bum
post #1034 of 1562 Old 04-27-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

Just wanted to be sure if I have a problem with the last update that I could still get back to the previous installed firmware.

In the 2.9.2 and above, there is a menu option to toggle/revert to boot from the other NAND Flash (so you don't have to use the remote sequence code).

Also, depending on the version you may want to go back to, you can put an older version back by using the linux reinstall packages (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5...12cc0853efd9eb) if you ever needed to do that.
post #1035 of 1562 Old 04-27-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech-bum View Post

It gets hot. Anyone know if it would be easy to add a simple PC fan inside the unit? There's plenty of room, we'd just need to get the correct power for the fan from somewhere. Anyone have the shematics.. or want to go poking around for a place to connect it?

I haven't heard of anyone doing this. The first run of these boxes (Proton) were about 1/2 the height. They were quite small and had two tuners. However, they would over heat. I guess that is why they made the box larger on the Hisense boxes (and dropped a tuner). I do not have any schematics. I have not had any overheating issues. However, I do not stack anything on this box and let is have plenty of air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech-bum View Post

I'm new to the HD world. My TV is a magnavox LCD, but it isn't HD or widescreen. On the channels broadcasting at 1920x1080 they just appear as a smaller square. Black bars on all four sides. If I put it on zoom 1, it all fits. Any advice?

Since this box remembers the aspect, I set it on Zoom 1 for all my stations on my TV's that support only 480.
post #1036 of 1562 Old 05-07-2008, 04:15 PM

thank you also dogleg69
i had problems with my hisense unit and from reading the posts i have fixed it and updated the firmware.
post #1037 of 1562 Old 06-03-2008, 12:50 PM

Has anyone been successful at replacing their Hisense db2010 remote with a pre-programmed universal remote?

I'm not talking about a learning remote that can learn the IR codes.

I found that the RCA RCR6473 has pre-programmed codes for the Hisense db2010:

http://www.buy.com/prod/rca-rcr6473-...206231877.html

However, the Aspect, Parental Control, Volume, Mute and CC buttons do not work (the volume, mute and aspect buttons don't even send out a signal). This is not a big deal except for the Aspect button. It is used in some of the magic sequences and I use it to setup my 4:3 tube TVs.

Anyone found a cheap remote that will replace the orignal that does a better job than the above?
post #1038 of 1562 Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 View Post

Anyone found a cheap remote that will replace the orignal that does a better job than the above?

Via topic search:

Quote:

The only remote that I ever had any luck with for controlling this box was my Harmony 676 Remote by Logitech.

Quote:

You can use an all for one remote, but you have to use the jp1 connector and download the code from the jp1 site (do a search for jp1 on google and ebay for everything you need).

Quote:

There are a couple of Radio Shack remotes that supposedly work with the db-2010. The three in one and the 4-in-1 family favorites remote. I have not tested either of them.

On the remotecentral forum I found this post by jenilu509:

Having unsuccessfully searched for this code on the net before going through the tedium of using the remote's search feature, I thought I would post it as a public service. If you buy a "RadioShack 4-in-1 family favorites remote," the code for a Hisense TL 2020 is 0815. The RadioShack information says the code is 0748, but that did not work for me. I also emailed Hisense customer service and they never even answered my email. hope this helps!

Quote:

The Sony RM-VL600 Universal Remote has a code for this receiver.
The code is 3401 and should work on either the SAT or CBL button.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1039 of 1562 Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 PM

I wrote the blurb about the Logitech Harmony 676. The good news is you can find these for 50 bucks or less on Amazon every now and again.
It worked first time, every time, for this and for the Samsung SIR-T351 box.
post #1040 of 1562 Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the responses. Agree with the Harmony. I have a number of learning remotes (sony) and a Harmony 880 (which will control all the functions of the db2010).

Was trying to find a very cheap (like under $10) solution so as original remotes wear out or break, there would be a cheap alternative for people.

The problem with the RCA is that the Aspect button is not functional. This is a problem in itself for those who like to run Full Screen or Zoom 1, and most of the magic sequences also use the Aspect button.

I have also been thinking about adding a timer function to this box -- like change channel to X for Y amount of time. Would do this so I could keep the VCR/DVD recorders out there when the cutover occurs. Could front those analog VCR and DVD recorder with this box and just setup the record schedule in both.

Would anyone be interested in such a feature? How would we want it to behave (change channel even if on, only change channel if off, if off and turn on -- make sure it is turned off again, support day/day of week/series, etc...)?
post #1041 of 1562 Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Would anyone be interested in such a feature? How would we want it to behave (change channel even if on, only change channel if off, if off and turn on -- make sure it is turned off again, support day/day of week/series, etc...)?

Sounds good to get some more use out of the db-2010s
post #1042 of 1562 Old 06-03-2008, 05:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have also been thinking about adding a timer function to this box -- like change channel to X for Y amount of time. Would do this so I could keep the VCR/DVD recorders out there when the cutover occurs. Could front those analog VCR and DVD recorder with this box and just setup the record schedule in both.

WOW.. it'd be an awesome feature.. I desparately need the timer function. Nothing fancy.. just an event timer which works like VCRs (without any TVGOS/PSIP support) with date, time and channel number programmed. We can start with one event and possibly extend to 5 events. The event timer is the only reason I am waiting for DTVpal CECB. If you can give that feature to DB2010, it'll be really awesome, because then I can record in full blown s-video. Also some posts back, you mentioned that DVR feature addition may be possible, but what is holding back is USB1.1 may not be able to throughput the HD streams. If that's the case, I guess it's also perfectly fine even if the recording can be done in 480i/480p format in a HDD. The last time I checked about adding anything to DB2010, I saw somebody mentioning that ATI xilinx chipset spec sheet is not available publicly and hence it may not be possible to add nice fatures to DB2010.
post #1043 of 1562 Old 06-03-2008, 08:50 PM

If someone can add a timer feature or a channel reserve feature similar to the Samsung 260f, that would really be great! I really love this unit and using it to still record on the VCR is a sweet idea.
post #1044 of 1562 Old 06-04-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james614 View Post

If someone can add a timer feature or a channel reserve feature similar to the Samsung 260f, that would really be great! I really love this unit and using it to still record on the VCR is a sweet idea.

I'm not familar with the 260f channel reserve feature. Would you elaborate?
post #1045 of 1562 Old 06-04-2008, 06:20 PM

The Sammy allows you to go to the program guide and choose any program in the future. When the start time of the reserved program equals the current time, the Sammy automatically changes the channel for you to the show that you reserved.

Although this is a lesser version of the full timer (which is more of a start date, start time, and selected channel data entry), it does allow you to have the channel change that day if you are not there. I do think that you do need to leave the 260f on for the unit to change the channel. I don't think it is like a VCR that goes from standby to full power then the start time of the reserved program equals the current time.

Plus, I think the USDTV channel guide only goes 12 hours into the future. It may be technically able to go father out but the Columbus, Ohio stations seem to be only sending data for the next 12 hours for the program guide (what I have experienced).
post #1046 of 1562 Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the explaination.

Does anyone need a M-F, every X, or specific date feature? I don't know how difficult this is going to be, so I'm trying to think about it before I dive in.

On a VCR, I don't know that I have ever used the M-F date. The easiest thing would do just have say 5 timers available to that fired everyday. This would mean no calendar or having to know about the date. This would mean:

Start: 8:00pm
Duration: 1 hour
Channel: 21 (avail from the available channels not marked out on the Edit Channel List)

Have maybe 3 or 5 of those type entries. The problem with that is that if show X is on 8:00pm Monday on channel 21 and show Y is on Tuesday at 8:00pm on channel 5, then it won't work.

I'll have to figure out some type of calendar and see how hard a specific date timer will be. I know the everyday would be possible since that is the way the nightly update worked.

Work for me is very busy right now, so I don't know when this will happen. However, if anyone has more design input, please post.
post #1047 of 1562 Old 06-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello folks...

I was wondering if any of my fellow USDTV box owners have been watching So You Think You Can Dance and having problems with the box while it was on.

For the past week or so, I have been trying to watch it via WTLH-DT out of the Tallahassee area; each time the box gets knocked out about a minute into the show. Attempts to reboot the box have been futile. It is likely not a signal problem, since this has not happened with any other digital TV programs I have been watching on this or any other channel.

I e-mailed WTLH's chief engineer Mike Brown; he said it was an unusual problem. I sent him an e-mail link to Hisense tech support at his request.

Anyone else having this problem?

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...
Hot Off the Press / Philips and Magnavox DVD Recorders

post #1048 of 1562 Old 06-05-2008, 08:29 PM

I had my box freeze up tonight watching that show. Said the signal for the station was lost and I could not change channels. The guide and menus came up but could not change the channel. Ended up unplugging and restarting the box, twice. After the show was over, the unit worked just fine. It has to be something with that show.
post #1049 of 1562 Old 06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It probably does have something to do with the show...I have been able to watch local news and Fox's NASCAR coverage on WTLH without any problems.

I am sending your observation to the station.

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...
Hot Off the Press / Philips and Magnavox DVD Recorders

post #1050 of 1562 Old 06-06-2008, 10:14 PM

Liked: 13
dogleg69

Is there a way to make the db-2010 stop updating the channel list automatically? I keep picking up channels sometimes while the unit is in standby mode from all over the place I have picked up stations as far away as Indiana (reminds you of skip on am radio or cb s) of course it's not too hard to go and edit them out or just rescan......keep us updated on your timer project
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page