Originally Posted by smintn
keep us updated on your timer project
See attachments of some prototype screenshots. I'm still testing and getting everything to work. Here are the planned features:
- if box is off, turn on and change to timer channel
- if box was off when timer turned on, turn box off at end time
- when you turn the box on via front panel or remote, it will still tune to the last timer channel
- if box is on and timer fires, change channel (no warnings, just change)
- if box was on when timer fired, the end time will do nothing
- does not support a specific date. Valid options are every S,M,T,W,TH,F,S or M-F or Daily
- there are 10 timers
- when you upgrade, your timers will be lost (because the timers are stored in NAND flash and they can't be copied across). This can be addressed in other ways, but for now we will have to re-enter timers on update of firmware.
- the channel spinner is initialized with enabled channels (not all channels)
- if you enable/disable channels in the edit channel list, they will not show up in the timer channel spinner until you unplug the box. This is a bug, but it is not a show stopper for beta.
- the minutes spinner has 00, 05, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55. Thats 12 items in the list instead of 60 min to spin through.
This is slightly different than a VCR/DVD. I wanted the channel to change even if the box is on when the timer fires. Too many times my VCR did not record because I forgot to turn if off (which is understandable since there is a physically resource - tape - involved).
I did some user acceptance testing with my kids. They could set timers without any coaching or instruction - so the GUI passed in my opinion. Have completed the GUI, persistence store and timer logic. Still have to do some testing and negative testing before I consider it completed. I am concerned about keeping accurate time on the box. To mediate this, the time is updated when the box is off and idle using the channel setup to get the time. Need more testing on this.
Please review the screens and above functionality and make comments/suggestions. Will the above features get the job done (when/if they work)?