Walmart US Digital STB Questions - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1562 Old 01-02-2005, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm starting to get a little frustrated with US Digital. I recently installed one of the new Terk HDTVS (SquareShooter) antennas so I could get all my HDTV channels. I called US Digital on the Monday before Christmas and it was stated that I needed a firmware upgrade. The guy I spoke to was wonderfully pleasant and told me he would ship it right out.
Monday, I called to see where it was, they to me it was shipped out the Thursday before Christmas. I come home today from a visit to Gulf Shores, and guess what? No upgrade still.
Does anyone know if I could just buy a USB drive and get them to email me the upgrade? I even emailed smorse@usdtv.com on Weds. but never got a response from him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1562 Old 01-02-2005, 04:24 PM

Also, Just out of Curiousity, does anyone have a half-way accurate clue as to what generation processor this receiver has in it? I know its an ATI, just curious if it was a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gen (which I doubt)
post #93 of 1562 Old 01-02-2005, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think the current US Digital box is 4th generation, but I'm not 100% sure.

US Digital is promising a 5th gen box later this (coming) year.
post #94 of 1562 Old 01-02-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudeross
cpcat
Why are you returning the tuner, did you expect it to be an upgrade from your LG? I think I"ll pick one up soon, do you think I should wait for something better?

I was hoping for better long distance reception. I knew it was a longshot, but there was no risk since Walmart is so good with returns. Most likely it would do fine for people who are closer to their stations than me. The difference was very small so I'd say that's a plug for the USD box as it costs much less.
post #95 of 1562 Old 01-03-2005, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Will these units always be "on"? What will happen if one of more of the stations in an area decides to work with US Digital and participate in its larger scheme? Will your units be "turned off" unless you subscribe?
post #96 of 1562 Old 01-03-2005, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robertawillisjr
Will these units always be "on"? What will happen if one of more of the stations in an area decides to work with US Digital and participate in its larger scheme? Will your units be "turned off" unless you subscribe?

The local stations will always broadcast a free OTA signal, at least for the forseeable future, and the tuner will always be able to tune them as the box is advertised.
post #97 of 1562 Old 01-04-2005, 03:46 PM

I've been watching OTA HD for about 2 months now with the USDTV box, and it's been great.

At first I noticed some audio sync problems, haven't for a while.

Picks up a ton of channels with a $30 dollar Radio Shack antenna, of course I'm in Metro LA with a nice shot towards the towers.

Channels change quickly and I've had no problems with the remote being "finicky", as others have posted.

Not sure what model/generation or even software it has, but it's been great. And I got it for $100 on eBay.

Peace,
Dave
post #98 of 1562 Old 01-04-2005, 06:55 PM

I've used the USDTV STB for about a month so far. We're located about 80 miles SE of Mt. Wilson (Los Angeles transmitter locations), with almost a line of sight view (beingon the side of a mountain with a NE view). With a Channel Master 3010 and preamp located in the attic, I receive almost all of the LA stations with strong signals. I will be moving the antenna to the roof shortly and expect to receive all rock-solid.

A few weeks ago USDTV was testing in the LA area, and the STB logged the guide channel and several others. I believe that they are subchannels of KJLA (44). At one point when I was experimenting with the antenna sitting outside, when the USDTV channel "99.1" was selected I did see the "attempting to download firmware" message. However, I didn't leave the antenna in place long enough for the download to succeed. So it looks like you might get firmware updates if you're in an area where USDTV is already operating (Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Las Vegas), or where they are testing (LA, probably others).

The only problem I've noted (and it may be related to signal strength) is occasional audio dropouts if I use the optical output. My stereo sees Dolby Digital and then drops back to Dolby Pro Logic briefly. Using the analog outputs works fine.

- Merle
post #99 of 1562 Old 02-24-2005, 12:38 PM

does this have an active firewire port? if not what is the cheapest OTA firewire enable STB, thanks
post #100 of 1562 Old 02-24-2005, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by martin1
most stations fills in the side with grey or black bars when it's not a true hd program. You will note that when you have a true hd program everything is just find but when they go to commercial you will see the side bars.

Does the USDTV display grey or black bars on non-HD programming? I find the grey bars distracting.

Currently I have TWC with a Pioneer 3510 HD box and all the 480 programming has black bars ALWAYS (commercials or news etc). If I understand your post its actually the TV stations broadcasting these bars, so all my stations should continue to be black bars at all times with the USD?

Last question, what stretch modes does the USB box offer? Can I stretch my HD channels on 1080i output?

THANKS!
post #101 of 1562 Old 02-24-2005, 03:18 PM

The USD box does not have a Firewire port.

The USD box does not generate grey bars.

Im not sure on the stretch mode question as to exactly what you want to know. The box can zoom and also has "full Screen Modes" to fill the entire screen.
post #102 of 1562 Old 02-24-2005, 04:28 PM

SWEET. It looks like the USD box won out over the Sylvania SRZ3000 due to the grey bars that unit puts in the 480 programs, thanks again!!
post #103 of 1562 Old 02-24-2005, 04:34 PM

No problem. The USD box is one of two HDTV boxes that I have. The pic quality is great, the Tuner is on par with most of them. The main reason for the cheap price is cuz it's from Wal-Mart (I work there, so I gotta push em...lol) It's a "no name brand" It doesn't have alot of features. Give it a try, you got 90 days to take it back if your not satisfied!
post #104 of 1562 Old 02-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

the features and functions worked great.

the picture quality on the one I had was way off. terrible. nothing I did made it better. it went back.

looking at the LG 4200. qam and analog and antenna. pretty cool. pricey but maybe worth it.
post #105 of 1562 Old 02-25-2005, 10:45 AM

Hi you-all, this is my 1st time posting on this side of the forum. I
normally hang around the antenna side. Getting to the point, I have
one of the USD boxes also, and I am getting low audio from it,
(excellent picture) and am wondering if anyone else is getting the
same. I am using the composite jacks for my audio as my stereo is
old. Sometimes mine will also display the tv guide for a particular station
that I tune to, but not the station itself, with the signal strength
meter too low to bring in the station. I am wondering how it can pull
in the tv guide & not the station itself. Mine also seems to have a
good tuner in it, as it can receive just about everything that I can
get on analog.
If I return this because of the audio problem, I may switch over to
one of the LG's because everybody talks highly of them, but am
wondering if the tuner in them is comparable to the USD box. If
anybody knows, please let me know, because if it ain't, I am going to
get another USD box.
fay28301
post #106 of 1562 Old 02-25-2005, 06:48 PM

Fay...

Most people don't realize the box actually has a real volume control. Is this set too low? Use the remote control to adjust it up.

Station information takes alot less data than a full MPEG 2 stream w/ audio, thats why you get the guide sometimes but not the channels video and audio.

The tuner beats out a bunch of them, BUT.....I think, (based on everyone elses hype) that the LG's tuner is cut above every tuner out there, including the USD box.

(I edited MPEG 4 to MPEG 2...I guess I was wishing...lol)
post #107 of 1562 Old 02-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked up the LG 4200A and it is a killer tuner for QAM tuning.

it gets all the cable HD channels that are in the clear. plus alot of digital channels. love it! the best on the market and I have tried a couple.

I tried the Samsung SIR-T451 and it has got to be the worsth QAM tuner. I got only 3 channels over my cable provider. terrible, not to mention the awful remote that does not respond.

another note... the LG has a beautiful picture, even better than comcasts Motorola DCT-6200. 1080i mode is way better than the comcast box in 1080i.

great product LG!!!
post #108 of 1562 Old 02-26-2005, 06:49 AM

I already have the volume control all of the way up now, so I guess the problem is with the unit. Thanks for explaining the other problem to me also. Anybody know where the best place to buy an LG-4200?
fay28301
post #109 of 1562 Old 02-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

B&H photo

ebay
post #110 of 1562 Old 04-30-2005, 06:04 AM

If you unplug the US digital box, will it lose all of its channel programming? I am thinking of putting it in my boat (very poor analog reception). The unit would only be powered while on shorepower or while the generator runs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #111 of 1562 Old 04-30-2005, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by teekster
If you unplug the US digital box, will it lose all of its channel programming? I am thinking of putting it in my boat (very poor analog reception). The unit would only be powered while on shorepower or while the generator runs.

I've had mine unplugged for hours and hours and not had a problem with it loosing any programming.

Now that I think about it, I accidently set the video output wrong when I first bought it. My tv wouldn't sync to it. I tried to unplug it overnight and while I was at work to "reset" it.

It didn't work. That baby holds all it's settings. You should be fine.
post #112 of 1562 Old 04-30-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

HD tuners probably use a non-volatile flash chip to store their settings. This type of memory chip can hold data for up to a hundred years without power.
post #113 of 1562 Old 04-30-2005, 08:39 PM

Thanks, I just bought it tonight. It is smaller than the standard stereo component, so it fits well in the boat. You guys were right about the non volatile memory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #114 of 1562 Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 PM

Does the LST-4200A have any better stretch modes that may stretch on the sides more than the middle? The USD box seems to just stretch evenly. I have a CRT set. Also the digital out does not work with my reciever, so rather than wait for a firmware update, I may just replace it. works nice other than that.
post #115 of 1562 Old 05-09-2005, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mingus
Does the LST-4200A have any better stretch modes that may stretch on the sides more than the middle? The USD box seems to just stretch evenly. I have a CRT set. Also the digital out does not work with my reciever, so rather than wait for a firmware update, I may just replace it. works nice other than that.

If I remember correctly, the 4200A has two stretch modes...
A Linear mode which is like the US Digital.
And a Non Linear mode, which is softer on the middle stretch and more severe on the edges.
post #116 of 1562 Old 05-13-2005, 02:34 AM

Hi. This is my first official AVS post. Continuing the above subject, I myself am pleased at how the stretch and zoom modes on the USD STB handles some SD programming. If you have a widescreen TV, and the terminal is set to the 16:9 format, you'll notice that most of the letterboxed footage shown from a 4:3 source works just as well when zoomed in to fit the rest of the screen. The drawback, however, is that this is limited to fullscreen-only DTV stations. 16:9 channels will not necessarily do the same thing in this mode. Unless your monitor has an auto zoom effect, the image will appear anamorphic on a widescreen DTV channel.

On the flipside, for those with 4:3 monitors, you may have a similar experience if you tried zooming in on a widescreen image from a fullscreen-only channel, which will incidentally stretch the picture horizontally. Not sure if this happens on other STBs, but it is common on this particular brand. All in all, a nice little side-feature IMHO.
post #117 of 1562 Old 05-13-2005, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by teamfx
Hi. This is my first official AVS post. Continuing the above subject, I myself am pleased at how the stretch and zoom modes on the USD STB handles some SD programming. If you have a widescreen TV, and the terminal is set to the 16:9 format, you'll notice that most of the letterboxed footage shown from a 4:3 source works just as well when zoomed in to fit the rest of the screen. The drawback, however, is that this is limited to fullscreen-only DTV stations. 16:9 channels will not necessarily do the same thing in this mode. Unless your monitor has an auto zoom effect, the image will appear anamorphic on a widescreen DTV channel.

On the flipside, for those with 4:3 monitors, you may have a similar experience if you tried zooming in on a widescreen image from a fullscreen-only channel, which will incidentally stretch the picture horizontally. Not sure if this happens on other STBs, but it is common on this particular brand. All in all, a nice little side-feature IMHO.

TeamFX.....Welcome to AVS...I hope that you enjoy it here!
post #118 of 1562 Old 05-14-2005, 05:38 PM

Just saw these boxes marked 50% off the original (possibly MSRP?) price of $200 at the local Walmart.
post #119 of 1562 Old 05-15-2005, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

ghostee, really? I couldn't even find them in the first place at a couple of WMs in my area.

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #120 of 1562 Old 05-15-2005, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

50%! Are you serious? I can’t believe they can sell those so cheap, Walmart must be paying next-to-nothing for those things.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page