Walmart US Digital STB Questions - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1531 of 1564 Old 07-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Newbie
 
huma79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I recently purchased one of the HiSense DB-2010 boxes off of ebay, and I'm having some problems with it. I'm trying to figure out if there's a solution to it or if it's just a bad box. I am able to get power to the unit, and I'm even able to get the green power light to come on/off when I press the main power button. However, I get no video output at all, nothing from composite cables, component cables, or s-video. Unfortunately, I didn't get a remote with it, so I'm limited as to what I can do, but I'll buy a universal remote for it if I know that the box is usable.

Anyone ever experienced this problem before, and any ideas on how to solve it?
huma79 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1532 of 1564 Old 07-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Senior Member
 
dogleg69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma79 View Post

Hi everyone, I recently purchased one of the HiSense DB-2010 boxes off of ebay, and I'm having some problems with it. I'm trying to figure out if there's a solution to it or if it's just a bad box. I am able to get power to the unit, and I'm even able to get the green power light to come on/off when I press the main power button. However, I get no video output at all, nothing from composite cables, component cables, or s-video. Unfortunately, I didn't get a remote with it, so I'm limited as to what I can do, but I'll buy a universal remote for it if I know that the box is usable.

Anyone ever experienced this problem before, and any ideas on how to solve it?

Do you have it plugged up to an antenna? Is there any audio being produced? Are there two green lights on the front or red/green?
dogleg69 is offline  
post #1533 of 1564 Old 07-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Newbie
 
huma79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 View Post

Do you have it plugged up to an antenna? Is there any audio being produced? Are there two green lights on the front or red/green?

Hi dogleg69, yes, I have a antenna plugged into the back coax port. This same coax feed is able to obtain digital OTA channels from the antenna when I plug it in a digital->analog converter box.

I don't get any audio coming out of the Hisense box either. I don't get any video or audio output at all, no menu, no "no signal" message or anything.

When I turn the box on, only the power light turns green, the other one stays red. However, occasionally after resetting the box they will both stay green for about 5-10 seconds, then go back to red. I also tried using the "From Service to FTA" firmware patch from your mediafire page, just blindly hoping that would help, but it didn't.
huma79 is offline  
 
post #1534 of 1564 Old 07-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Senior Member
 
smintn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewisburg, Tennessee
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma79 View Post

Hi dogleg69, yes, I have a antenna plugged into the back coax port. This same coax feed is able to obtain digital OTA channels from the antenna when I plug it in a digital->analog converter box.

I don't get any audio coming out of the Hisense box either. I don't get any video or audio output at all, no menu, no "no signal" message or anything.

When I turn the box on, only the power light turns green, the other one stays red. However, occasionally after resetting the box they will both stay green for about 5-10 seconds, then go back to red. I also tried using the "From Service to FTA" firmware patch from your mediafire page, just blindly hoping that would help, but it didn't.

First you can't do a lot without the original remote or a good universal remote

How are you feeding the video to your tv?
if you are using the component outs there is a slim chance to see if anything is happening by running the green output to the tvs green component input you should see a black and white image.......still the problem is that you need the remote to change the video resolution to a resolution that the tv will reconize hence the problem from buying on ebay in that a remote is not included. Possibly the unit is set to the original owners scanned channels that are not the same in your area.

Let us know how and which outputs you are using for video.....as near as I can tell from the manual the sequence must have an orignal remote or a correctly set universal remote to get the resolution to change. someone in the forum may have an extra remote I think I might be able to help on that pm me about it

If a universal remote is set correctly where the codes can trigger guide,
aspect, exit, program info and 0 it will do a unit reset and I think it will reset the video to composite then you'd be able to see if it is outputing any video on the composite......let me check that out first....it does reset the video output to composite (yellow output)

A universal remote like a harmony 550 would be your best bet they have the correct codes to set up the remote for a db-2010 to be able to do this
smintn is offline  
post #1535 of 1564 Old 07-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
smintn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewisburg, Tennessee
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Huma79

What happened to you?
I was going to help you with your db-2010 if I could.......
smintn is offline  
post #1536 of 1564 Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Newbie
 
huma79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post

First you can't do a lot without the original remote or a good universal remote

How are you feeding the video to your tv?
if you are using the component outs there is a slim chance to see if anything is happening by running the green output to the tvs green component input you should see a black and white image.......still the problem is that you need the remote to change the video resolution to a resolution that the tv will reconize hence the problem from buying on ebay in that a remote is not included. Possibly the unit is set to the original owners scanned channels that are not the same in your area.

Let us know how and which outputs you are using for video.....as near as I can tell from the manual the sequence must have an orignal remote or a correctly set universal remote to get the resolution to change. someone in the forum may have an extra remote I think I might be able to help on that pm me about it

If a universal remote is set correctly where the codes can trigger guide,
aspect, exit, program info and 0 it will do a unit reset and I think it will reset the video to composite then you'd be able to see if it is outputing any video on the composite......let me check that out first....it does reset the video output to composite (yellow output)

A universal remote like a harmony 550 would be your best bet they have the correct codes to set up the remote for a db-2010 to be able to do this

Hi smintn, thanks for your reply. I've been trying your suggestions and a few other things since the last post. I've tried feeding the db-2010's green component alone to the TV green component in, but still no luck. My TV also has composite and s-video inputs, and I've tried them each individually with the box, but still nothing.

I also opened the box up to make sure there were no loose connections or burnt circuity, but everything seemed ok inside.

One thing that surprised me yesterday is that I noticed the signal light was occasionally changing to green, which I suppose means that it is in fact getting signal, but as you said, the problem is the video output.

At your suggestion of getting a remote, I decided to look into what worked with the box. The harmony remote just seemed a bit pricey, so I ended up ordering an all4one remote, and I also ordered a JP1 cable to custom program it since it appears that ordinarily it wouldn't have the "aspect" button otherwise. They should be arriving soon, hopefully tomorrow!
huma79 is offline  
post #1537 of 1564 Old 07-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Senior Member
 
smintn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewisburg, Tennessee
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma79 View Post

The harmony remote just seemed a bit pricey, so I ended up ordering an all4one remote, and I also ordered a JP1 cable to custom program it since it appears that ordinarily it wouldn't have the "aspect" button otherwise. They should be arriving soon, hopefully tomorrow!

Good choice in a remote, the jp1 forum basically has all the info
you need to set the codes for it. I had one that worked very well the codes for the 2010 are there. I had forgotten about that remote. I upgraded to the harmony because I had added a couple of dvd recorders to my system and it quickly outgrew the 4inone.

If it gets you going study how to set the macros on it...its really slick to be able to press the remote and have all the inputs and audio/video set automatically

Fingers crossed hoping you have a working box
Good Luck!
smintn is offline  
post #1538 of 1564 Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Newbie
 
huma79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I just thought I'd update everyone. I got my one-4-all (model URC-10820N) and JP1 USB adapter and successfully programmed it to run on the HiSense, with the aspect button and all working. The only thing I'm wondering is if both GUIDE buttons are supported, since the original remote seems to have 2 of them (Channel guide & USBTV guide).

However, it all worked out in the end, because out of desperation I tried running the "FromService" firmware update again using an older 512MB USB drive, and it WORKED! It updated the firmware, and I got a picture! I guess the problem before was that I was using a newer 1GB thumb drive. Thanks for the help, everyone!
huma79 is offline  
post #1539 of 1564 Old 10-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Newbie
 
Godzilla179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received this box from ebay and read this thread most of the way through and because of that, I got the box up and running and updated. The previous owner used it only for OTA with a good indoor antenna. I have an old RadioShack 15-1838 antenna that picked up a few stations before the digital switch, one near perfect and a few fuzzy channels. I get 0% on all stations with it using this box. We are not allowed rooftop antennas in our neighborhood and I have no real attic, I'm looking for a good (great) indoor antenna. Antennaweb showed every color in the spectrum for my location and I'm 30.6 miles from the towers. RadioShack employees are about as helpful as FEMA after a hurricane, and all links on this site are random Google ads, any suggestions?

One thing I didn't see covered anywhere in this thread was, interference issues with digital signals. When I was receiving analog, turning on a PC would effectively kill any UHF/VHF/FM reception. Does this still apply?
Godzilla179 is offline  
post #1540 of 1564 Old 10-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
stevec50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you say "not allowed rooftop antennas in our neighborhood" are you referring to an HOA? They can't stop you from putting up an antenna so I would put up a big one anyway.
stevec50 is offline  
post #1541 of 1564 Old 10-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Member
 
polyscroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec50 View Post

When you say "not allowed rooftop antennas in our neighborhood" are you referring to an HOA? They can't stop you from putting up an antenna so I would put up a big one anyway.

Like stevec50 said, put up a really good roof-top antenna, and if any of the local mucketty-mucks tell you you can't, politely tell them that the Federal Government says you can, then show them this fact sheet straight from the FCC's regulations, (which usurps any neighborhood, local, or state regulations when it comes to Digital TV Antennas):

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

That is providing that the rooftop is your property.
polyscroll is offline  
post #1542 of 1564 Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Newbie
 
cputrdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla179 View Post

We are not allowed rooftop antennas in our neighborhood

Me neither; HOA owns my roof (multi-family dwelling), so I sympathize. The one I got is a predecessor of this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+In...&skuId=8452079

Had it about 2 years now in my attic and works incredibly well. We were amazed to watch the Oscars and suddenly have not only HDTV picture but 5.1 surround sound. I didn't even know the DB2010 was capable of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla179 View Post

One thing I didn't see covered anywhere in this thread was, interference issues with digital signals. When I was receiving analog, turning on a PC would effectively kill any UHF/VHF/FM reception. Does this still apply?

No. The beauty of digital is that though antennas aren't perfect, garbage disposals, PCs, and vacuum cleaners no longer cast the "snow storm" interference. The only interference I receive will cause 1-2 second audio outages (frequently) on some channels, regardless of appliances in the house. If you do get some interference, make sure that you're using dogleg69's latest build. That made a huge difference on my box. Since you have a full spectrum in your location, I doubt you'll have any problems.

Enjoy!
cputrdoc is offline  
post #1543 of 1564 Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Newbie
 
redlaw55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted to post a "thank you" for the version 295 update that adds a working timer and programmable channel change to the Hisense USDTV DB-2010 receiver. I used a DANE ELEC 128mb usb drive from WalGreens for the upgrade, formatted it to FAT32 in XP, and added the usdigital_update.bin by copying it to the usb flash drive. I made sure the receiver was currently updated to version 2.7.15 or higher, and the procedure went thru without a flaw. (The receiver is OFF at the start, then unplugged, and replugged, to begin the update procedure).

The new timer feature is absolutely great, and displays all 10 settings on screen. It also features Daily, M-F, Sat-Sun-Mon-etc quick settings, just like an easy-to-use VCR. So I went right to eBay and purchased another DB-2010 for backup. I should add, the Component output on the DB-2010 is really good, and perfect for a DVD recorder.

Something I had forgotten, the DB-2010 outputs a signal to either component or composite, but not to both at the same time. And isn't it strange, how a large, expensive LG digital TV ----> Does NoT HAvE AnY tImEr aT aLL !!!

Thanks.
redlaw55 is offline  
post #1544 of 1564 Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Senior Member
 
dthibode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a db-2010 updated to the latest firmware 2.9.5. I reset to factory defaults using the remote control keys. I scan the channels and everything works as it should. I can go into PBS (channel 38 here) and I'm getting 99% signal strength. For some reason on certain channels the box will lock up and say "no signal". It will allow me to change channels once or twice and even go into the guide and move around. However, it will continue to say "no signal" even if I power it off/on again. Resetting to factory defaults will fix it. However the problem comes back. I haven't tried unplugging it to reset the tuner, I'll try that next. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
dthibode is offline  
post #1545 of 1564 Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
dogleg69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlaw55 View Post

I just wanted to post a "thank you" for the version 295 ...

Thanks for taking the time to post. I am glad it worked.
dogleg69 is offline  
post #1546 of 1564 Old 01-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
dogleg69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthibode View Post

I have a db-2010 updated to the latest firmware 2.9.5. I reset to factory defaults using the remote control keys. I scan the channels and everything works as it should. I can go into PBS (channel 38 here) and I'm getting 99% signal strength. For some reason on certain channels the box will lock up and say "no signal". It will allow me to change channels once or twice and even go into the guide and move around. However, it will continue to say "no signal" even if I power it off/on again. Resetting to factory defaults will fix it. However the problem comes back. I haven't tried unplugging it to reset the tuner, I'll try that next. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Are the "certain channels" that lockup the box PBS stations? A fewer of the members here had that issue with the PBS station in LA. I actually called and spoke to a tech at PBS in LA.

There is some info on it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15050209

The basics are some stations put test PIDs in the stream and the db2010 does not seem to be able to handle it. I did try putting in a bit of code to throw away "extra" information. However, since it does not happen in my location, it was impossible for me to test given the equipment I have. I think that is in the 2.9.6 version that I never released.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no time to do this anymore. If anyone has time to do it, send me a message. You will need experience in C/C++ (expert level), linux, scripting, embedded systems, make, GUI event architecture and lots of patience.
dogleg69 is offline  
post #1547 of 1564 Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
dthibode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the quick response. You know, after about 3 resets, I figured out that it seems the two weakest stations may be causing it to hang up. I did one last reset, scanned for stations, dropped the 2 weak stations and it's been working fine. At least I should say we watched it for about 4 hours on different stations and it's working great. maybe it was a fluke? I also was able to shorten the coax run about 1/3rd, so maybe that helped the signal quality too.

thanks!
dthibode is offline  
post #1548 of 1564 Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Rainier2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know where to buy the power supply for these anymore? Mine went out (flashing power light) and that proserv site seems to be all guns now.
Rainier2 is offline  
post #1549 of 1564 Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
dogleg69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier2 View Post

Does anyone know where to buy the power supply for these anymore? Mine went out (flashing power light) and that proserv site seems to be all guns now.

PM me. I will check and see if I have any PS or other parts. I have a few boxes with parts in it from the work I did.
dogleg69 is offline  
post #1550 of 1564 Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Newbie
 
Godzilla179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The PBS station coming from Baltimore is dead as well. I get 20+ stations, but PBS and WUTB and CW seemed to die when I put up the RCA mini yagi antenna. The grey square Phillips antenna that Walmart sells for $30ish pulled only those 3 channels in....hmmmm.
Godzilla179 is offline  
post #1551 of 1564 Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zaphod7501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Peoria Illinois
Posts: 2,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla179 View Post

The PBS station coming from Baltimore is dead as well. I get 20+ stations, but PBS and WUTB and CW seemed to die when I put up the RCA mini yagi antenna. The grey square Phillips antenna that Walmart sells for $30ish pulled only those 3 channels in....hmmmm.

A Yagi is uni-directional (careful aim usually required), the Philips is bi-directional (front and back and broader beam). Double check directions?

I was given a friends old one. The tuner does not appear to be remotely as sensitive as my converter boxes but signal strength may be an issue where it is located.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
zaphod7501 is online now  
post #1552 of 1564 Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Newbie
 
hungt1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plugged the unit to AC and forgot to press the front button to turn it OFF first. The box is toasted now. Both LED lights are blinking rapidly.

The power supply board is toasted, where can I get a replacement for the power supply board? does anyone here have one for sale? or knows how to fix it?

I already sent an email to proserv1 but no reply yet and I don't think they have this box anymore

thanks
hungt1999 is offline  
post #1553 of 1564 Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
dogleg69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pressing the button before you unplug/plug in should not have an effect (it is solid state not mechanical). In any case, if both led lights are blinking, that is the power supply.

There are some posts about the schematics regarding the PSU. There have been a handful of people with the right skills that were able to repair the PSU (I am not one of those).

I have some extra boxes (all parts are good). Send me a PM if you are interested.
dogleg69 is offline  
post #1554 of 1564 Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
dogleg69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane49 View Post

Hello, I'm a dealer and in supply of pretty well all the parts for a Hisense DB-2010
including Power Supply-$10.00, Tuner-$15.00 or Remote with aspect-format button for
$15.00....I ship anywhere in North America for $7.00 ..I can be reached at lighthouse@lighthouse.terago.biz (care of Berry) or just post on this thread...

The above is a possible source for PSU and other parts. It is from:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16166307

Did anyone have success contacting this person Berry?



The schematics (best we have) are from wally94087. Thanks for doing that wally94087. There are a few posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17927700

Post number #1496, #1497 and #1498 are great information.
dogleg69 is offline  
post #1555 of 1564 Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Newbie
 
wally94087's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many years ago there were reports of a similar problem (with much earlier versions of the software) and several measures to achieve a reset. Start with the problem description in post 785 and read ahead at least to post 793 for suggested reset sequences with the remote and with the power button...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post11823030

It is possible that the power supply went bad, but try these first before more drastic measures.
wally94087 is offline  
post #1556 of 1564 Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Newbie
 
hungt1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To Wally94987: could you please provide a higher resolution of the circuit diagram you posted on Flickr. The current resolution on Flickr is very limited, I tried to print it out but the handwriting such as diode number, your hand-written notes, etc. are not readable at the current resolution.

thanks
hungt1999 is offline  
post #1557 of 1564 Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Newbie
 
wally94087's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure why flickr crunched my original and limited it to 640x495. So I took two shots of the drawing for you to print and tape together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_wally/5390655897/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_wally/5391259534/

Within flickr, select Actions: view all sizes and you should be able to download a large jpeg that you can photo edit and/or print at a size independent of your browser screen.
wally94087 is offline  
post #1558 of 1564 Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Newbie
 
hungt1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally94087 View Post

Not sure why flickr crunched my original and limited it to 640x495. So I took two shots of the drawing for you to print and tape together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_wally/5390655897/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_wally/5391259534/

Within flickr, select Actions: view all sizes and you should be able to download a large jpeg that you can photo edit and/or print at a size independent of your browser screen.

Thank-you Wally94087 for posting the higher resolution images.

As I mentioned earlier, my Hisense box is currently flashing 2 LED green lights very rapidly. This happened when I moved my box to another location, I forgot to turn if OFF before unplugging and replugging the AC power.

I tried the various reset sequence using the remote, no luck.

My power supply board does not issued any meaningful voltages, it is supposed to provide 2.7V, 3V, 5V, 12V, 30V etc. at the connector. However, I can only measure a couple of mV.

There were 3 capacitors at the low-voltage side that bulged up, I replaced those but still no luck.

The primary side is good. The fuse is good. I have about 160VDC at the output of the rectifier bridge. From there, my skills are limited, I don't know how to further diagnose the problem.

I was told that the transformer is the type ''switching transformer'' I believe it has 4 input legs and 5 output legs. How can I test it? could you please provide some hints how I can further diagnose it?

thank you
hungt1999 is offline  
post #1559 of 1564 Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Newbie
 
wally94087's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First verify that your power supply really corresponds to the one I have. If not, you should mark up changes especially in part designators and post your drawing for future discussions. You refer to 2.7V output; that I do not have on my drawing.

Highly abbreviated theory of ops: C1 is charged by bridge to provide main DC power to be used by switcher. 150K resistor provides initial current to start up AZ3842 switch controller chip. Pin 6 drives Q1 power FET switch full on and full off, but with inversely varying duty cycle according to an opto-isolated sample of the 3.3V output, which is the only one output that is voltage regulated. The rest go as turns ratios of the output windings. Q1 drives the primary winding of the transformer, which has a dedicated winding and D7/C2 power section to more robustly drive the AZ3842 continuously without overheating the 150K startup resistor. All other windings are rectified to provide four different STB DC outputs

Taking care to avoid electric shock, what DC voltage do you have across C2? Should be at least +12V and less than +25V across C2, and make an AC measurement also to verify very low mV of ripple. If there are problems here, check the 150K resistor value, check D7, replace C2. If C2 shorts, it can then short D7 which can then ruin any replacement C2 you install. If you measure different values of AC ripple when you reverse probe polarity, report this also; some multimeters inaccurately report AC when measuring in the presence of DC voltage.

You can also turn the thing off, verify C1 has discharged, then measure the transformer sections to verify 1.88 ohms primary, .73 ohms bootstrap power winding, and then with respect to the secondary ground terminal, the .22 ohms, .05 ohms, .04 ohms, and 1.25 ohms output windings. Subtract the measured resistance value of your probes when shorted together to get a more accurate reading. You may have to clean your probe tips with steel wool and scrape any insulating film off of the solder pads under the transformer to get consistent readings. There better be continuity in all windings and no leakage between windings not sharing common terminals.

More info can be had by downloading the AZ3842 pdf datasheet from www.alldatasheet.com or similar site.
wally94087 is offline  
post #1560 of 1564 Old 06-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
speedlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York, about 40 miles north of "New York"
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have a Hisense box, purchased from Wal Mart at the beginning of HDTV. It was a USDTV but I got the key and have the last firmware which makes the box full functional, with menus and such.

The remote HYDFSR -0113 is included.

I got rid of my last analog TV so have no use for the box. It works-not DOA-here in the NY DMA I get 25+ channels hooked up to a very good roof antenna.

PM me if interested.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
speedlaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Technical

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off