AVS Forum banner

Walmart US Digital STB Questions

303K views 2K replies 310 participants last post by  speedlaw 
#1 ·
For anyone who has this OTA STB:

1. Does it output HD via component cables?

2. Does it output SD at the same time thru either S-video or composite?

What indoor antenna works well with it?

Thanks.

#1,304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbear /forum/post/15572184

I received a universal remote instead of the original remote. Kind of a bummer, but I knew about this when I purchased the unit.

A quick question in this regard:

The mute does not seem to work. Not necessarily a big deal to me as I usually just mute the receiver. BUT if the unit will show Closed Captions on Mute I really like the feature and would like to try to get it to work. Can anyone confirm that with the original remote the CC info is shown on mute?

If the signal has a CC stream in it and the usdtv box is on mute AND closed captions are turned on, then yes, it will display the text on the screen.

Now, if you want the CC, you can still turn it on via the Menu. It will display if there is a stream (with or without being on mute). It would just require a few more button presses.

I just tried the above and it did work if the show has a CC stream.

#1,305 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 /forum/post/15578695

If the signal has a CC stream in it and the usdtv box is on mute AND closed captions are turned on, then yes, it will display the text on the screen.

Now, if you want the CC, you can still turn it on via the Menu. It will display if there is a stream (with or without being on mute). It would just require a few more button presses.

I just tried the above and it did work if the show has a CC stream.

I can turn the CC on via the menu or with the magic code you so nicely put in. I just had a TV with this feature (CC on mute) and really liked it. In the grand scheme of things not a big deal, but I was it is a bit frustrating knowing that it can be done but I am unable to because of the remote issue.

#1,306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peas_n_carrots /forum/post/15232231

I'm giving up on my USDigital box. It had been working for a few years, then suddenly would not get past the initial splash screen. Tried lots of remote codes, firmware update attempts, but no good. Thanks to all who tried to help. This is probably still good for parts (power supply, connectors, case, etc...). No remote, got this puppy off fleabay. It's free to anyone who wants it (pick up or you pay for the cheapest shipping option, I'm guessing $5-10 via USPS).

PM me and we'll set up the xfer.

I think the same thing has happened to ours. Had it for roughly 4 1/3 years, but haven't updated it since late 2006. Anyway, I was informed that the box stopped working just recently; all we're getting from both indicator lights are faintly red. It's probably from having it on that whole time with limital shutoff periods. We had pulled the plug on the box for a few hours to see if that'd help, but to no avail as of late. Does anyone know what I can do get it working again? I know it's high time for a software update. Thanks, guys.

#1,307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfx /forum/post/15588579

I think the same thing has happened to ours. Had it for roughly 4 1/3 years, but haven't updated it since late 2006. Anyway, I was informed that the box stopped working just recently; all we're getting from both indicator lights are faintly red. It's probably from having it on that whole time with limital shutoff periods. We had pulled the plug on the box for a few hours to see if that'd help, but to no avail as of late. Does anyone know what I can do get it working again? I know it's high time for a software update. Thanks, guys.

Are you getting the yellow USDtv logo splash screen? Do you have access to a linux box and serial debug cable?

#1,308 ·
As I mentioned previous I just purchased the Hisense box from ebay and thought I would give impressions of the box.

Build quality seems good, nice metal case. I opened the inside to remount a plastic part which must have loosened up in shipping (I blame it on shipping in -20 deg weather) There is lots of room on the inside, they gave themselves plenty of space.

The picture quality is great! I have a 32" Sony Flat screen CRT which is HDTV ready. Compared to my Channel Master CM-7000 CECB (via S-video) the picture was not night and day better, but better. For whatever reason I noticed the biggest quality difference on the lower resolution channels. I assume the hisense box up converts to 1080i and may be the reason for the better picture?

Reception was great for me. With my CM-7000 box reception was allways a "100%" With the hisense without a splitter every channel was below 96%. with a two way splitter nothing below 94%. Just for comparison I have LOS and am 23 miles from the towers. I have a larger attic mounted antenna. Have not seen any dropouts or reception problems.

The only minor annoyance is that my box from e-bay didn't come with the original remote (I knew this when I purchased it) and so I would have to use some of the "magic" codes to get some features to work. But I have come to terms with this and realized that I am not going to use any of these features on a regular basis anyways. On a more positive note my universal remote (Sony RM-VL600) has a code for USDTV which worked great! The only issue I had was that the "guide" and "info" button were reversed and if I pressed the guide button (which brought up the info bar) twice it would bring me to the guide rather then removing the info bar. Easy fix was to reprogram those two buttons using the universal remote that shipped with the box from the ebay seller.

I like the onscreen guide and menus. Controls work well. Digital audio out works great. Overall very happy with the unit especially for the price paid vs what the Samsung DTB-H260F would cost.

Thanks to everyone for their help and recommendations that lead me to purchase this receiver!

#1,309 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 /forum/post/15083170

If you have the same problem as jtbs, then you have a brand new box straight from the Hisense factory in China. You can tell if you have diagnostic/test software by seeing if the box asks you questions like:

- press the X button

- is the green light on

- now is the red light on

- do you see X on the screen

- etc....

Those are not the exact questions, but something like that. This is the initial software developed by USD and given to Hisense to put on at the factory in China. I can only speculate that USD did not want to let the real firmware out of their possession. So, they gave the manufacturer a simple test firmware. You need special firmware to fix this problem.

You can either IM me in this special case or send it back to whoever you bought it from.

Hello Dogleg69;

I've tried through out this forum to see whether I could get any instructions for this specific problem. I IM'd you as well. Please help me to fix this uint, I can't send the unit back to seller as it was sold AS-IS on ebay.

jtbs, ftdkn;

Have you able to flash your test firmware?

Thank you and help is much appreciated.

#1,310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmie /forum/post/15603471

Hello Dogleg69;

I've tried through out this forum to see whether I could get any instructions for this specific problem. I IM'd you as well. Please help me to fix this uint, I can't send the unit back to seller as it was sold AS-IS on ebay.

jtbs, ftdkn;

Have you able to flash your test firmware?

Thank you and help is much appreciated.

I answered your PM. There is a solution for the boxes that have the diagnostic software from the Hisense factory. I have not made it available b/c there was enough confusion as it was.

Would you mind saying who you bought that box from on ebay? I am trying to figure out who is selling these boxes with only the diags on it. I know marsman has in the past. I have emailed him about it. Are there more out there?

#1,311 ·
Hello Dogleg69;

Thanks for the response, I'll post here as soon as I'm able to execute your instructions.

The ebay seller I bought it from is cortez5523. I think he is not a mass seller this is only one unit and sold it describing that I need to flash firmware before making it work., but honestly didn't have an idea that it is test firmware.

#1,314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmie /forum/post/15616845

Hello Dogleg69;

Thanks for the response, I'll post here as soon as I'm able to execute your instructions.

Thank you dogleg69, was able to get it all working in less than 15 minutes, thanks to your magical dd file, created the linux bootable image without a sweat and more importantly was able boot from it and flash the firmware.

I can assure anyone that has test firmware which can be described as,

USDTV bootable logo and led check confirmation dialog screens walking through for diagnostic tests and finally hangs at indicating some working like "you should be able to view HDTV programming...", can be fixed and install the new software for sure. Don't panic if you get your hands on to a such box.

Thank you again dogleg69 helping me fix the issue.

#1,315 ·
dogleg69, I registered here just to say THANKS for all the work you have done with the tuners and your help here in the forum. Personally I have flashed four of the tuners I purchased from marsman with your Windows version of firmware 2.9.5 and they all work great! Before the update my only real problem was the time loss issue and your update has cured that. I did find that you may have to try different channels until you find one that sets the time correctly. Especially if you live in an area that observes DST.

#1,316 ·
hey guys,

been following these threads for a while and I finally got my unit the other day..

Got it off the ebay seller Mike emma**** .. anyways, it's running system software version 2.7.15 (2.4.18-15), hardware version db2020.. I was hoping to upgrade it to the latest, but I can't get it to read my USB drive no matter what. I've tried reformatting and the "magic" reboot sequence.. I couldn't get it to respond to the reboot sequence at all.. any ideas?

I was hoping it would come with the "latest and greatest" :S

#1,317 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaz /forum/post/15711320

Got it off the ebay seller Mike emma**** .. anyways, it's running system software version 2.7.15 (2.4.18-15), hardware version db2020.. I was hoping to upgrade it to the latest, but I can't get it to read my USB drive no matter what. I've tried reformatting and the "magic" reboot sequence.. I couldn't get it to respond to the reboot sequence at all.. any ideas?

Which version and which OS are you trying (how did you create the stick)? If linux, it sounds like it is not bootable.

Since is has 2.7.15, I would give the windows .bin file a try.

#1,318 ·
thanks for the quick reply..

I formatted the 2gb USB drive in XP and tried the latest on your mediafire page.. (windows bin) When I power cycle the unit, I get a blue screen that says Please Wait, and then it powers off again.. in about 30 seconds, then works as normal.. It never does any type of updating.

I tried re-formatting a few times and still didn't work. So then I tried the other package you had posted, and followed the "dd ......" steps.. same thing, wouldn't recognize it. I tried the magic sequence (I think it was guide, info, aspect, info, 1) and it doesn't reboot. I'm stumped.

#1,319 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaz /forum/post/15717907

thanks for the quick reply..

I formatted the 2gb USB drive in XP and tried the latest on your mediafire page.. (windows bin) When I power cycle the unit, I get a blue screen that says Please Wait, and then it powers off again.. in about 30 seconds, then works as normal.. It never does any type of updating.

I tried re-formatting a few times and still didn't work. So then I tried the other package you had posted, and followed the "dd ......" steps.. same thing, wouldn't recognize it. I tried the magic sequence (I think it was guide, info, aspect, info, 1) and it doesn't reboot. I'm stumped.

typically, those symptoms are from:

1) stick not created correctly

2) stick too large (or to new) to be recognized (odd, but I have seen it happen)

3) the version on the stick is older than the version on the box

4) there are other files on the stick aside from the specified files

Now, starting in 2.9.4 I am releasing what is called an upgrade (instead of a reinstall). This was done so if you had set timers, I would copy the settings over. This should not be causing your problem, but we might try grabing the 292 version from the windows archive and trying that.

Also, make sure there are no other files on the stick and that the .bin file is named exactly correct.

Note if the usb starts flashing after you plug the unit back into the power. If it does, then I will assume that the usb device and driver are functioning.

#1,320 ·
thanks for the reply.

I appreciate everything you've done for the community and received your PM as well..

I searched around the house and found an old USB stick. So I reformatted it and put the latest 2.9.5 package on it, and it updated right away no problems!!

I guess my original problem was just a picky receiver/thumb drive.. the strange this is, I've never had a problem with it being recognized in the computer and it did light up when I plugged it in the receiver.

Either way, it's working great now.. I just need to setup my antenna a little better

Thanks again!

#1,321 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 /forum/post/15565771

I have never seen one. I have seen a manual with a graphic showing the hdmi port. I do not think they were ever produced (but I do not know that for sure).

I tried a couple of those quick commands. They did not work on the 2.5.57 unit.

I also purchased another and it has 2.7.15 (2.4.18-7) Hdw. DB2020. It will not get any of the channels. Test was by swapping boxes. It eventually found channels, but no video, off air message.

I'm curious of the liklihood of a flash helping it? Right now I have the feeling the box may have a problem such as a weak tuner.

I followed some links to HiSense.com and saw they have a couple of interesting boxes. Translated by google. One of them, MC668HC, looks to be the same box as this with a different face plate. The other has a HDD and numerous outputs along with wireless and USB for loading with movies.

Also among links was one to ATI and their Xillion chip and Xillion mainboard. Following are those ATI say they shipped to: Coship Matsushita (Panasonic) TiVo

Funai (Sylvania) Philips Toshiba

Hisense Scientific-Atlanta Thomson / TTE (RCA)

Hitachi Samsung USDTV

JVC Sanyo Xoceco (PRIMA)

I can only wonder if these units have the Xillion chip and it would interest me to learn what boxes made use of the mainboard.

#1,322 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthums1 /forum/post/15812069

I tried a couple of those quick commands. They did not work on the 2.5.57 unit.

I also purchased another and it has 2.7.15 (2.4.18-7) Hdw. DB2020. It will not get any of the channels. Test was by swapping boxes. It eventually found channels, but no video, off air message.

I'm curious of the liklihood of a flash helping it? Right now I have the feeling the box may have a problem such as a weak tuner.

Flashing won't hurt -- it may not help if indeed you have hardware troubles. The 2.5.57 unit will not respond to the .bin file on the FAT filesystem. You have to use a linux solution. However, there is a dd created windows file in the windows/usingPre_2.7.15 dir on www.mediafire.com/dogleg69 . It is the 2.9.3 version. So, if you don't have access to linux, you can use the dd2.9.3 to upgrade to 2.9.3 and then upgrade to 2.9.5 using the .bin file.

Do you have linux access/experince? If so, you can upgrade both using the latest tar.gz file and the makekey script.

#1,323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 /forum/post/15565771

I have never seen one. I have seen a manual with a graphic showing the hdmi port. I do not think they were ever produced (but I do not know that for sure).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 /forum/post/15812530

Flashing won't hurt -- it may not help if indeed you have hardware troubles. The 2.5.57 unit will not respond to the .bin file on the FAT filesystem. You have to use a linux solution. However, there is a dd created windows file in the windows/usingPre_2.7.15 dir on www.mediafire.com/dogleg69 . It is the 2.9.3 version. So, if you don't have access to linux, you can use the dd2.9.3 to upgrade to 2.9.3 and then upgrade to 2.9.5 using the .bin file.

Do you have linux access/experince? If so, you can upgrade both using the latest tar.gz file and the makekey script.

My main concern is with the 2.7.15 box. I've had it disconnected for a few days, using the older box since it works, while I try to find the best solution.

I just hooked it up again and now it starts with a screen that says I must set it up. OK allows scanning of channels and it finds 9. Next screen pops to "USDTV service not found". And my only options are retry & adjust antenna. I'm stuck in that loop.

I don't know Linux. And now am clueless as to which would be the appropriate flash?

#1,324 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthums1 /forum/post/15823140

My main concern is with the 2.7.15 box. I've had it disconnected for a few days, using the older box since it works, while I try to find the best solution.

I just hooked it up again and now it starts with a screen that says I must set it up. OK allows scanning of channels and it finds 9. Next screen pops to "USDTV service not found". And my only options are retry & adjust antenna. I'm stuck in that loop.

I don't know Linux. And now am clueless as to which would be the appropriate flash?

If the 2.7.15 box allows you to scan and then says USDTV service not found, that is good news -- it sounds like it is a subscription box. If it was working before, I have no idea how an FTA box jumped back to subscription unless the rollback sequence was initiated.

On the 2.7.15 box, here is what I would suggest:

- go to www.mediafire.com/dogleg69

- navigate to the windows --> archive directory

- download the fromService293.zip file

- unzip the file and follow the instructions inside the file

- try and use a 32mb usb stick (or something smaller than a 1gb)

- after the usb is made, unplug the box, stick the usb in the back, plug back in and follow on screen instructions

- if that works, you will have an FTA with 2.9.3 version.

- now download the latest usdtvUpdate295ForWindowsFAT.zip and follow the instructions in it to upgrade to 2.9.5

Sorry you have to go through two steps, but that is the easiest way with the software is posted. Let us know if it works or if you need any other help.

#1,325 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 /forum/post/15823954

If the 2.7.15 box allows you to scan and then says USDTV service not found, that is good news -- it sounds like it is a subscription box. If it was working before, I have no idea how an FTA box jumped back to subscription unless the rollback sequence was initiated.

On the 2.7.15 box, here is what I would suggest:

- go to www.mediafire.com/dogleg69

- navigate to the windows --> archive directory

- download the fromService293.zip file

- unzip the file and follow the instructions inside the file

- try and use a 32mb usb stick (or something smaller than a 1gb)

- after the usb is made, unplug the box, stick the usb in the back, plug back in and follow on screen instructions

- if that works, you will have an FTA with 2.9.3 version.

- now download the latest usdtvUpdate295ForWindowsFAT.zip and follow the instructions in it to upgrade to 2.9.5

Sorry you have to go through two steps, but that is the easiest way with the software is posted. Let us know if it works or if you need any other help.

If rollback means toggling to the other whatever inside box, yes I toggled it.

How do I update that side of the unit?

I thought I was trying to update that part but instead did the 2.7.15 side to 2.9.3. That adds a bunch of diagnostic stuff, but have no idea what it means.

I'm reallly beginning to believe it has a hardware issue. When first plugged, you have to be about a foot away from box with remote. After it has been plugged for maybe half hour I can work back to a normal range. Possibly a voltage problem, so if anyone knows the voltages inside the unit that might be helpful. Otherwise I have to suspect the previous owner did not have his antenna system properly isolated or grounded. That is the front end, tuner section, took a static charge or lightning strike. He claimed he could no longer use it because a new wing on a hospital blocked his signal and had to go dish.

#1,326 ·
badda-bing.

Hardware indeed. I decided to check voltages and as luck would have it the voltages are printed on the PS board next to each pin of the two connectors. Voltages on the line going to tuner, 30V, 5V, & 3.3V. The other line going to MOBO also has 12V.

I notice what looks like 3 caps bulging. The voltages I read were 35V, 4.5V, & 3.0V. The 12V was close. But what alarmed me was that after holding the probe on the 30V line for a couple of seconds it would start to runaway and read 65V a couple of times. I switched to AC mode and saw that 65VAC was riding on the DC line. I was using a cheap meter and it is likely that the DC scale was reading that AC presence. Probably low power but certainly too much ripple for my thinking.

Dug and found some caps in my junk box (40 years old). I found one exact 470mf. One 500mf at about double the required voltage to replace one of the 470mf. And 1000mf at a much higher voltage as well. (higher voltage is OK. And likely they would not have failed if they had not been so cheap as to spend a couple of cents more per capacitor.)

I fired up and reread voltages. 30.0V, 4.9V, 3.3V, & 12.3V. I forgot to check for the ripple. Two of the caps were on the 5V line and one on the 3.3V, I think, or other way around. I have to assume the 30V line is controlled by the accuracy of either the 5V or 3.3V line. The other caps did not appear to have a problem. Also I noted the input voltage range for the PS board, 110-220V. I could have investigated further, but wanted to see the results so I closed and plugged.

Remote function immediately and it tuned all channels. Hoo-ray!

I did make some notes of what else was inside. On the mainboard is a connector labled SmartCard. Also a designation for a connector that had a lot of pins, but not present. And a four pin connector near the CPU. And an eight pin connector at the rear of the board next to the S-video connector. Seems that one was definitely meant for a port out the back. It would be interesting to learn what they were intended for. To add the smart media would be very easy if the software is accomadating and there is need. The same with the other two connectors. Only eight pin that comes to mind, out the back, might be 4 twisted pair, LAN, or possibly a sort of com port. checking the module on my 42" monitor I see they only have 8 pins in the 9 pin connector. The manual shows 2 pins N/C and 2 pins shorted. Maybe someone more familiar with COM ports can chime in.

Now as to function using the 2.9.3 version. The older one has only one zoom and it widens the picture which works for near all of my situations where the station is broadcasting a program in something other than full. The 2.9.3, zoom1 increases vertical, and zoom2 keeps the vertical increase and increases horizontal. I seldom need the vertical increase. And I've never seen a difference between auto-aspect and full. So what does auto-aspect do?

And is it possible to flash that second part of box?

#1,327 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthums1 /forum/post/15827629

badda-bing.

Hardware indeed. So what does auto-aspect do?

And is it possible to flash that second part of box?

Wow. That is incredible. Nice job on find and more incredibily fixing the box. I must tip my hat to you.

It is possible to flash the box. There are two sets of NAND flash chips. One holds the active software, the other is for rolling back or upgrading. So, give the 2.9.5 a try as it fixes quite a few issues. If for some reason you want to go back to 2.7.15 or whatever, we can work and make that happen.

Again, great fix. Thanks for posting the details.

#1,328 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 /forum/post/15827777

Wow. That is incredible. Nice job on find and more incredibily fixing the box. I must tip my hat to you.

It is possible to flash the box. There are two sets of NAND flash chips. One holds the active software, the other is for rolling back or upgrading. So, give the 2.9.5 a try as it fixes quite a few issues. If for some reason you want to go back to 2.7.15 or whatever, we can work and make that happen.

Again, great fix. Thanks for posting the details.

I thank you and this forum for the information that led me to believe my situation did not fit the normal problems of most. I'm an old tech/engineer, so the warming up of the box allowing the remote to work was indicative of something electrical, just as it getting too warm can cause it to die.

In my searching I have found some indication that this box might have some multi-path tuning capabilities. But the timing might be set a little too close for all situations, but then situations can vary widely. It seems I'm a victim of the multi-path from transmitter. The indication seems to be the indicator signal strength. Even though I may show a peak signal, as the max setting for this is approached, the signal will suddenly drop to near zero and sometimes drop picture for an instant and then the signal meter returning to max. By carefully aiming I am able to stop near all of it. But time will tell as these signal paths can change between day and night. That brings in the decision of what is better antenna since there are a few degrees between the two transmitter sites, about 30 degrees I think. A higher gain/tighter beam might eliminate the side and reflected lobes, but then it might also mean having to turn antenna everytime I switch between them. And still I have the wait until they finalize digital. Right now I have one upper VHF that is transmitting digital on UHF. One they shut the analog down, they will move the digital back to channel 11. Lower frequency generally means transmitting farther with less power. And then I have no idea what PBS is doing, analog 9. If they are transmitting digital, I can not find them but there has also been some comment that they are doing low power until the analog shutdown. Another wait and see, which may put me in the trouble others have been having trying to get PBS.

What I would like to do is flash the nand that is useless now. It apparently was never flashed for FTA and is in the USDigital state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.