The Official Samsung 360 720P bug thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 609 Old 01-21-2005, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the 210 worked like a charm , my abc hd channels come in perfect, no audio off sync or a jittery picture, i cant beleive i called yesterday to complain and today i am watching an improved box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kheflw
Did I see someone say that the OTA Guide Data is integrated into the S360? How does that work. Is it mixed in with Satelite or is it seperate.
The channels are mixed in with the satellite channels but you get 5 programmable profiles where you can add just the channels you want and swith between them with a click of the remote.

J C
post #453 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 07:27 AM

I have a 360 and surprise, the same problem. I would like to get a new receiver, but I bought mine from Circuit City. What are my options on getting a new one? I believe I read some where in this thread, that some one bought theirs from best buy and still got a credit from DirecTV for it, but I can't find it again. I bought it just under a month ago, and believe I can still take it back, but the 360 is the only DirecTV HD receiver I can buy locally.

Another option would be to sell it on eBay and buy another brand online. But I do not know if I would feel right selling something that has this bug. I mean, the unit works and it will work the same as if it was bought new. So, anybody’s input to either option would be greatly appreciated, as well as any other options or advice you may have. Thanks.
post #454 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 07:44 AM

I bought my from an online retailer and D* still replaced it. They dont care where you got it, because they are going to get it back from you, have it refurbished and put it back in circulation. Where you bought it is inconsequential. It's a current D* receiver, under warranty, so it costs them little to nothing (through whatever arrangements they have with Samsung for warranty repair/refurb).
post #455 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 08:17 AM

Thanks Gunny. That makes me feel better.

I am not up on the whole HD and what is good and what is better or any of the mumbo jumbo, so forgive me for being to green.

I get my local HD channels via OTA in Colo Springs. CBS, FOX, ABC and PBS are the stations that are broadcasting DTV. CBS and FOX are the only to offer HD programming. But, I still enjoy the better picture of the digital feed. Fox has a slight (less then a second) audio delay. I was told that my local Fox station has the problem before I even got HD and it does not bother me much.

But, ABC's audio is gone completely. I have never had any audio with ABC. I have my 360's output set to 1080i so I can watch ESPNHD. I have never tried to change to 720p to see if ABC will give me audio then. Is this a possibility? Does audio have any thing to do with what output I set?

Also, how much better is 720p then 1080i? Like I said, I have had my output set to 1080i because I get everything but ABC DTV in 1080. I watch ESPNHD the most so that is why I leave it on 1080i. Thanks again for any help or input.

BTW: any body got a good source of where I can read up on HD and the different formats? I am a self learner at everything I do, but I have to know where to go to learn. Thanks.
post #456 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 08:26 AM

Assuming whoever said that the D* H-10 is just a re-badged Samsung was right, then I guess I'm at the right place.

To fix my apparent sub par PQ, I grabbed a HDMI cable to see if PQ improves.

Awesome.......awesomely bad.

When the D-10 (set to allow all resolutions/native) hits a 720p broadcast, the box goes nuts (flickering/black noise/etc). If I switch back to a 1080i channel, the color, hue, tint, etc is a train wreck. Only fix I can find is to reset the D-10 (just powering it down doesn't do it).

Anyone having as much fun as me?
post #457 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
mrtolles,
Check local site for more HD info...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3&goto=newpost
post #458 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 08:50 AM

Thanks Iwanthd.
post #459 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 10:16 AM

Questions/concerns on my new RCA replacement for Sammy.
The ABC HD issue is resovled which i am happy. Also I like that you can see the resolution on the info, instead of having to check the receiver.
Issues. It seems to do a poor job of scanning OTA. It could not find 2 of my local OTA hd channels which my Sammy found all of the time. Is there a manual way to addd local digital channels? Before you tell me to look at the manual , i did that and there is nothing about local antenna channels or scanning in the manual. Also I can find the "-" button. On my old receiver i could enter 35-1 to get channel 35 in HD. I can not find a way to get that dash. Any suggestions? Also I notced on the OTA channels that it did find there is no program info on the guide, like my old receiver had.

Any thoughts/ideas?
post #460 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 12:26 PM

I currently have a sammy 360 and am having all of the same problems with it. The BBuy near me now carries the new H10 and I was considering exchanging the sammy for this. From what I can tell, these are having the same problem so do I sit on my sammy and keep calling and complaing or waste my time unhooking, taking the receiver back and getting one that will from what I can tell have the same problems?
post #461 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 12:50 PM

I bought my Sammy 360 from CC last week. I had to call D* 2 times before they agreed to replace it. I got my DTC-210 yesterday and hooked it up. If fixes the 720p problems.

I now have to send my 360 to D* or they will charge me $400.

I also called retention dept and told them about all the problems I had and that I paid full cost to upgrade to HD. She saw that I have been a customer for 7 years and never missed a pmt.

They gave me a $250 credit and 6 months of HBO/Showtime for $2 a month on top of the HD package I have free for 3 months.

I'm set now. I still liked the 360 better because of the time/channel on the front screen. I may try to switch back if they ever get the bug fixed.
post #462 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrtolles

But, ABC's audio is gone completely. I have never had any audio with ABC.
ABC from D* is the only station with DD5.1 flag turned on 24/7. This can create problems with some audio setup. In your TS360, go to SETUP | Preferences | Audio and choose Digital Out - set it to PCM.
post #463 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by venz22
From what I can tell, these are having the same problem so do I sit on my sammy and keep calling and complaing or waste my time unhooking, taking the receiver back and getting one that will from what I can tell have the same problems?
If you can't take the 720p bug, call D*. Have them replace the TS360 with a RCA.
post #464 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 09:31 PM

So, of course I have the audio/video sync/dropping frame problems with HD FOX/ABC mentioned so very many times above.

I called the D* advanced tech support number (888-713-7772). I highly recommend calling this number, it rang through and I was talking to a HUMAN in about 30 seconds.

I explained the problem, and amazingly, they didn't say I was the first person they heard had the problem. Of course, he explained it was a software problem with no ETA for a fix. I should just be patient, it would only be a week before it was fixed! yeh right... i wasn't buying that. I said I wanted a different receiver.

Since I just bought the receiver 3 days ago, I was told that they couldn't exchange it (the "system" wouldn't allow it). I'd have to take it back to Best Buy (where I bought it). After continuing to express my frustration and the fact I just changed from dishnetwork to watch HD major networks, which was basically unusable, he agreed to exchange the unit. He put a note on to not send me another ts-360, but couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't be.... blah blah... and I said that if it was a ts360 we would be having another conversation in a week.

If I'm unable to watch my Eagles in HD tomorrow on FOX, I will be more than a little pissed. Oh well... I guess the Steelers game will be OK....
post #465 of 609 Old 01-22-2005, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paulpoteat
Assuming whoever said that the D* H-10 is just a re-badged Samsung was right, then I guess I'm at the right place.

To fix my apparent sub par PQ, I grabbed a HDMI cable to see if PQ improves.

Awesome.......awesomely bad.

When the D-10 (set to allow all resolutions/native) hits a 720p broadcast, the box goes nuts (flickering/black noise/etc). If I switch back to a 1080i channel, the color, hue, tint, etc is a train wreck. Only fix I can find is to reset the D-10 (just powering it down doesn't do it).

Anyone having as much fun as me?
I'm having a very similar problem with the D* H10. I hooked up an HDMI cable for the first time today. All I got for a picture was a lot of noise -- totally unviewable. D* tech support walked me through a couple of things that didn't work, and then I did a hard (unplugged) reset. After that, I could view HD through the H10's HDMI output. I thought the problem was solved!

However, once I tuned to a non-HD broadcast, and then went back to an HD broadcast, all I could see was the noise again. Had to do a hard reset again in order to view anything though the HDMI output. So this is similar to what you saw, except it involved 480i/p broadcasts. I wasn't able to test a 720p broadcast because the only 720p channel I have is ESPNHD, and they weren't broadcasting in HD.

D* is sending me a different H10, but now I'm wondering if we've uncovered another flaw in the H10. This is somewhat similar to the subject of this thread, but occurs only when viewing through HDMI after tuning to a non-1080i broadcast.

I've been looking on these boards to see if anyone has reported a similar problem -- the only post I found so far was yours. Let me know if you learn any more about this problem.
post #466 of 609 Old 01-23-2005, 06:00 AM

I recieved my 360 replacement yesterday. Interestingly, I recieved a refurbed Hughes HD-HTL with a DTV universal remote. If I wasn't in one of the first 12 markets to recieve the HD locals, I would be upset about recieving a box with cosmetic issues, but the problem with 720p is now fixed and I can live with this box until they replace it later this year.
post #467 of 609 Old 01-23-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starsailor

If I'm unable to watch my Eagles in HD tomorrow on FOX, I will be more than a little pissed. Oh well... I guess the Steelers game will be OK....
You should be able to. Live events do not have any sync issues with the TS360. Only film material.
post #468 of 609 Old 01-23-2005, 11:53 AM

I haven't read through all 24 plus pages on here but I'm having a problem with the digital output to my receiver. I'm getting a signal but what is happening is I have a high pitch sound coming out. Once I switch it to analog it goes away. I have a panasonic HT receiver that is all digital and have no problems with any of the other digital signals coming in (DVD, CD, VCR) so I know it is a problem with the digital out from my sammy ts360. Anyone else have this happen or know of a fix?
post #469 of 609 Old 01-23-2005, 03:09 PM

I've been having these problems on ESPN-HD since I got my TS360 last summer. I also saw the problems on FOX during the World Series. I'm not a big sports fan, so it didn't affect me all that much. Since ABC and FOX were added, its been a big problem. Some friends get HD through cable, and they've never seen these problems. I've seen this with non-film material, too (i.e. the program may be fine, but commercials (480i) have problems).

So after seeing this thread, I called for support. Their answer? First, they wanted me to force my display resolution to 1080i or 720p. Sorry, been there, done that. Then they said to set my "Primary Air" zip code to all zero's (00000). OK, this sounds odd, but I gave it a try. The picture was OK for the few minutes I was able to watch, but I hardly had time for exhaustive testing. I'll be watching ABC tonight, so hopefully it'll be fine.

Has anyone else been told to do this?
post #470 of 609 Old 01-23-2005, 07:01 PM

Maybe referring to this from Samsung? Won't help the stuttering.

Local HDTV broadcasters were recently required by the FCC to change the MPEG-2 Packet Identifier (PID) value at their broadcasting head end to a value above 0x0030. This change had to be made by January 1, 2005. One of the unforeseen results of this change is that in certain areas of the country, set-top-boxes from a number of manufacturers, including Samsung's SIR-TS160 and SIR-TS360, get only the video portion of local, over-the-air (OTA) high definition broadcasts but not the audio.

Samsung and Direct TV engineers are working to rectify the problem and should have a permanent solution shortly. A temporary work around for this problem has been developed. It involves removing the zip codes from primary and secondary air and then rescanning the channels.
Removing the Zip Codes

To remove the zip codes, follow these steps:

1. Turn on your TV and your set-top box.
2. Press the Menu button on your remote control.
3. Highlight Setup and press the OK button.
4. Highlight Installation and press the OK button.
5. Highlight Local Networks and press the OK button.
6. Highlight Primary Air and press the OK button.
7. Highlight Clear and press the OK button.
8. Press the Back button.
9. If you entered a Zip Code in Secondary Air, highlight Secondary Air, and press the OK button.
10. Repeat Steps 7 and 8.
11. Press the Exit button on the remote. The set-top-box will reboot.

Rescanning the Channels

To rescan the channels, follow these steps:

1. Press the MENU button on your remote control.
2. Highlight the Setup menu item, and then press the OK button.
3. Highlight the Antenna & Cable menu item, and then press the OK button.
4. Highlight the Scan Type menu item, and then press the OK button to display the list of available channel types. The Scan Type list appears.

Note: The Scan Type list lets you set your DIRECTV® HD receiver to scan automatically for channels from Digital sources (off-air ATSC broadcasts), Off-Air NTSC sources (standard TV broadcasts), Cable NTSC (standard cable TV services), or all of these. If this is the first time you are setting up this DIRECTV® HD Receiver to receive local channels, use the All setting. Otherwise, OK the specific Scan Type listing.

5. Highlight the Scan Type that matches the type of broadcasts you would like to program into your DIRECTV® HD receiver, and then press the OK button.
6. Set your cable TV type by highlighting the Cable Type menu item and pressing OK.
7. Highlight the type of cable signal your cable TV service provides (STD, HRC, or IRC), and press the OK button.

Note: STD, HRC and IRC are signal formats used by cable TV services. Contact your Cable TV service provider to determine which signal type they use.

8. Highlight the Scan Channels menu item, and then press the OK button. The Scan Channels screen appears and the DIRECTV® HD receiver automatically starts looking for all available channels of the type you specified in the Scan Type list. Wait until the scan is completed.
9. If the automatic scan included any channels that you do not intend to watch, you can edit the channel list by using the Add/Remove Channels menu item in the Antenna & Cable menu.
10. If any of the off-air antenna channels appear out-of-tune, you can fine tune them using the Fine Tune Channels item in the Antenna & Cable menu.
11. If you have added digital channels from an off-air antenna, you can check the signal strength for that channel by using the Digital Off-Air Signal Strength menu item in the Antenna & Cable menu.
12. To exit the Menu system press the EXIT button on your remote control.

Note: This work around lets you get both video and audio for the OTA channels. However, you will not be able to get the Guide Data (onscreen listing of upcoming programs) for these channels. This problem should be corrected shortly.

I had a problem with sound on one station I receive OTA and this fixed it. Later the station changed whatever at their end and I could go back and use the zipcode.
post #471 of 609 Old 01-23-2005, 07:55 PM

Well, the "00000" zip code didn't fix it (though now I understand why they told me to try it. Too bad all of my channels were getting audio just fine...)

Another call to DirecTV got someone a much more helpful, but still unable to resolve the problem. She asked around and confirmed that there *might* be an issue with the TS360, and subsequently recommended a call to Samsung support. She said DTV could replace the receiver, but couldn't guarantee the replacement wouldn't be another TS360. I took a gamble and called Samsung.

Samsung couldn't confirm (or deny) a problem with the TS360, but they did have me return the receiver to factory default. That didn't fix the problem, either.

A third call to DTV started off going nowhere, and led to the tech saying its an antenna problem requiring a $70 visit by a technician. I'm not sure the tech knew what 720p meant. Hmmm... only 720p channels are affected, and then only with certain types of programming. An antenna issue? Doubtful. I'm not paying for that, so I escalated to a supervisor who claimed there were no known issues with the receiver. He also tried to debunk anything the forums might say about the TS360. I pressed on and insisted on a replacement receiver, which led him to say I might get another TS360. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I'll know which it is when it arrives in a few days.
post #472 of 609 Old 01-24-2005, 07:27 AM

D*TV agreed to send out a replacement for my Sammy TS360. Well the RCA DTC 210 arrived on Friday, connected up the DVI cable and YES - ABCHD, FOXHD & ESPNHD can now be watched with voices in-sync. BUT at what price. The HD picture quality on the RCA is not as razor sharp as on my Sammy, there is a fine horizontal line that scrolls (most noticeable on DiscoveryHD) and I do get an occasional 1 second blackout (not a reboot) while watching a show. Couple this with the RCA's inability to cope with dark scenes (and I adjusted the brightness on my Sony LCD 42we610 all the way up) and a sightly blurry SD picture and I find myself considering not sending back the Sammy but reconnecting it and living with the fact that ABC, FOX & ESPH have to be watched on Stand definition channels. After reading many of the posts on this forum, it seems like there aren't any Quality HD STB's out there. I'll call D*tv back again today and see what my options are but they will probably want to send another replacement.
post #473 of 609 Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Lovely. I hope I get the Hughes then. We'll see.
post #474 of 609 Old 01-24-2005, 07:55 AM

I just got a new H10 receiver, and definitely saw an audio sync problem when trying to watch ABC-HD OTA last night. I'm trying to figure out if it's the same problem that everyone is reporting with the 360. I had no problem watching ESPN-HD, even the replays of SC and NFL Primetime, which would have to be taped. No problems with commercials on ESPN either. I can't get the feeds D* network feeds, so I couldn't check there.

Apps1 is from my area and we both had problems with WLOS and this box, but could it be a separate problem from the 360 problem, since most of you only have problems with satellite-delivered content and not OTA?

thanks,
--Cross
post #475 of 609 Old 01-24-2005, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had no problem watching ESPN-HD, even the replays of SC and NFL Primetime, which would have to be taped.
Even if they are taped, they were recorded at a different fps than film would.

Quote:
but could it be a separate problem from the 360 problem, since most of you only have problems with satellite-delivered content and not OTA?
Some have reported problems with OTA as well & the TS360. I believe those OTA stations are delivering with the same algorithm used by D*.
post #476 of 609 Old 01-24-2005, 08:52 AM

Can anybody get this right? Since my rooftop normally pulls in FOX, and ABC I'll just stick with the 360 until somebody makes a receiver that will function properly at all times. Although I may be dead before that happens!!!!!

"I love the smell of racing gas in the morning."
www.timadamsphotography.com
post #477 of 609 Old 01-24-2005, 10:57 AM

Does anyone know of any D* STBs that don't have any problems? Can anyone posta list of the available boxes and the known issues with them?
post #478 of 609 Old 01-24-2005, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmutnick
Does anyone know of any D* STBs that don't have any problems? Can anyone posta list of the available boxes and the known issues with them?
They all have their own unique problem. Available boxes from D* at the moment (new) are the TS360, H10 and RCA DTC-210. The Hughes is also available but it's refurbished. As far as issues with each box, please read the threads around here.
post #479 of 609 Old 01-24-2005, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

If this is a service forum? I have to ask if there are so many folks "in the business" here, WHY can't one of them get with D* and arrive at a straight answer to this issue, as most have seen, both Sammy and D* are in denial over this, hell, now large percent of my D* HD is USELESS! BTW; to me this is way more important than any OAR whine / bitch thread. OTOH; if these folks don't have the issue (or don't care), screw the rest of us, right? Opinion.... YMMV!

It is "WOW" TV!
post #480 of 609 Old 01-24-2005, 06:05 PM

Here is the e-mail response I got from Samsung when I asked for the H10s to replace the TS360. I have the same problems outlined.

"The espn problem is being addressed by directv as well as the other hd channels with audio/video problems. The h10s would have the same problem as the sirts360 as does the rca hd model. The problem should be correctly shortly and unfortunetly this issue is beyond Samsungs control as this is a directv/broadcaser issue."

I have read these threads and I have to say it get's confusing. Since I'm not paying for HD programing with the 6 month offer from D*, it's easy to take, but I will feel differently when I have to pay the $10.95 a month for "buggy" feeds.

I agree with Mikey, someone in the "loop" knows the issue, would that someone just set the record straight?

I do appreciate everyone's input, opinion. Thanks.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page