post #91 of 609 Old 12-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by scfa99
Gunny I agree, keep the calls coming. The more pressure the sooner they will fix this. I for one want to watch 24 in HD.

Update: the supervisor called me back as promised last night. He said he needs more time to research and his shift is ending so he will research in the morning and call me back once he figures out what is going on. I forgot to check this morning to see if anything was pushed through to my rec'r but i'll check tonight when i get home.
Gunny, thanks for the number. I was looking for some way to skip the (often brain-dead) frontline CSR and get to the (hopefully less often) brain-dead tech support.

scfa99: Call me a glass half-empty kind of guy, but the response this supervisor gave you doesn't sound great. I mean, is he saying HE is the one who is researching this issue; i.e. no one else in Tech support knows anything about it but he will try to see if he can fix it when he has the time? In the same vein, Gunny spoke to someone who said "they" are aware of the issue and are working on it; I wonder if the "they" spoken of are a couple of guys on the night shift. :)

I guess I'll go back and watch history repeat itself on the "ABC-HD" threads. It really doesn't make any difference to me since ABC (should it ever show up) is 720p and my 360 won't be able to handle all of it, anyway.

Thanks to all for keeping the pressure on D*- my commitment is up soon and maybe I can apply a bit of it myself through retention.

=NLK=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 609 Old 12-29-2004, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I just called and made my complaint. :) Free showtime for 2 months. I just said "So basically I'm missing out on 2 months of my free HD" and he asked me what would be a fair compensation since they expect the fix to take 2 months, so I said 2 months of Showtime would work.
post #93 of 609 Old 12-29-2004, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by nlk10010

scfa99: Call me a glass half-empty kind of guy, but the response this supervisor gave you doesn't sound great. I mean, is he saying HE is the one who is researching this issue; i.e. no one else in Tech support knows anything about it but he will try to see if he can fix it when he has the time? In the same vein, Gunny spoke to someone who said "they" are aware of the issue and are working on it; I wonder if the "they" spoken of are a couple of guys on the night shift. :)

=NLK=
Sorry let me clarify. He seemed to know about the problem as have most of the tech's i've talked to. However he was confused as to why the other supervisor promised to send out an update to me (it was even in the notes). He said he was going to track down the other supervisor to see if knows more about an update. If they can't fix this i'm going to push them for a 300 credit on the box and i'll pay the difference to get the HD tivo.
post #94 of 609 Old 12-29-2004, 10:58 AM

Just made my complaint to DirecTv and they said that they are aware of the problem. I had to go through a supervisor to have this acknowledged though. He also offered me Showtime for free for 2 months.
post #95 of 609 Old 12-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I purchased my 4674, Denon 2910, and Sammy 360 today, dish installed free by D* on Friday. After setting up the install I explained the situation to the rep who was nice and transferred my to a tech. I was nice to the low level rep and explained I needed at least a tier 2 tech and what the problem was. She was nice and immediately put me "upstairs". The tech was fully aware of the issue, spoke intelligently about it, and said it had a priority with them. This was at 1:00 today, EST. He was speculating the fix would be a download via sat as he agreed something in the transmission is not agreeing with the Sammy. He understood the film vs. video and FPS issues and seemed very knowledable. I'm just the messenger here,I know that isn't a guarantee of anything, but it says to me it depends on who you talk to at D* as to the truth about their level of knowledge about the problem. Thanks.

John
post #96 of 609 Old 12-29-2004, 02:15 PM

I also called a few days ago and received free showtime for several months. They didn't want to credit my account cash, which I understand, but when I suggested I'd like an additional HD channel to make up for the bugs, they offered Showtime for free.

So, that is pretty reasonable, and others might as well take advantage of it. After all, it doesn't cost D* anything, assuming you weren't going to buy Showtime (which I wasn't).
post #97 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

*BUMP*
post #98 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't experienced the problems people are reporting here, then again, I don't use mine with DTV... just up-converting DVD's and OTA HD. Fine so far. Anyway, the software fix piqued my interest in that I could really use a selectable refresh rate. The standard 60Hz is OK, but I'd love the option of 48 or even 72Hz.

Would (or could) a software fix involve multiple refresh rates? Or is this based on hardware? Films shot in 24 fps sure would look nice at either 48 or 72.

It seems to me that the stuttering is related to an error that occurs with a combination of the 3:2 pulldown and the fixed 60Hz refresh rate. Just a guess.

As a side note, if there is a firmware update that I need... I guess I'd have to take by 360 to someone with a subscription and hook it up to their satellite to get the download?

Thanks,

Marshall

"Time's up. Had your chance. Muffed it." ~Lord Scrumptious

Vintage Audio
What is bio-diesel?
VW TDI Forum
Ted's of Beverly Hills
Track Flights
post #99 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 08:53 AM

Hi All,

I have the same problem. I have the Samsung TS-360 receiver. Fox HD is unbearable, I can't watch it. The audio sync/delay is terrible and the video breaks up. My wife even noticed the audio delay.

This was very apparent last night watching Quintuplets and That 70's show. However, when I switched to Fox OTA, I had no problems with the audio or video.

Therefore, I wonder if it is a New York Feed issue or is it the receiver.

The only problems I have with ESPN HD is during commericals and watching the Hustle and 3.
post #100 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 09:05 AM

Add me to the list of people being screwed by Directv. I sent D* an e-mail months ago about Espn-Hd. They replied with the reboot crap. Hopefully, we can get this thing fixed.
post #101 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey p
Firmware version 1.2.16 (still), I've had that forever
That update was sent out only two months ago (10/16/04), hardly forever.
post #102 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 09:58 AM

Add me to the count. I have signed the petition as well.
post #103 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone mind me asking exactly what "unwatchable" is...

I've been thinking of making the deal and probably ending up with this receiver, but I rarely watch Fox anyway, and usually only watch live sports...

So, is it really "unwatchable", or is it just not "perfect"?
post #104 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WILDCAT NATION

I've been thinking of making the deal and probably ending up with this receiver, but I rarely watch Fox anyway, and usually only watch live sports...

It would be apparent that in asking, you haven't seen it.

I suppose we all have different levels of tolerance, but we aren't describing a minor speck of white or slight audio delay. If you have a 360, and get ESPN-HD, watch "Hu$tle" or "3". If you get FOX-HD, watch "House". Other programs/commercials are not definitive. I would call a 2-3 second audio offset and a picture that has severe jitter, studder, and the bottom half of the picture jumps frequently, erratically, and continuously to the right "unwatchable". For me, it is headache city in less than a minute. I can't even follow what the show is about it is so horrible.

Mark Gibson
post #105 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 10:49 AM

Just got off the phone with D*. Spoke with an older man from their Oklahoma center and he of course didn't know anything about it. He even tried to get me to plug it into a non HD TV to see if I still get the problem. He credited me a month of the HD package and said he would pass the problem along.
post #106 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

"That update was sent out only two months ago (10/16/04), hardly forever."

All things are relative, some more so than others, I would hate to wait that long for the fix to this issue, but you may not care? YMMV

It is "WOW" TV!
post #107 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 AM

Ok here is my update.

Called extended service today to see why the supervisor didn't call me back yesterday (shocker). Extended service CSR said she doesn't know anything about this issue, doesn't come back in her search. So for the 100th time i have to explain the problem. Ask if i can get the rec'r replaced. She says NO, its out of warranty (90) days. I tell that i got it in July and there is a 1 yr warranty from Samsung. She tells me to call the manufacturer. I respond that it has a D* logo on it and its D*'s problem not samsung's. I ask to speak to a supervisor because I would like to have it replaced.

After about a 5 min wait she gets back on the phone and says "we'll send you a new one out". I ask " a new what?" CSR "a replacement rec'r." I ask if its new or refurbished and the make and model. She says " its refurbished and its sent from the warehouse and it could be any make or model". I respond "so your telling me that your going to send me a refurbished model and I could end up getting a Samsung 360 and would have the same problem." She says "thats correct". I tell her that is unacceptable and i would like to speak to a supervisor.

I wait on hold for another 5 mins. Supervisor gets on the phone and I explain the all of the calls that i've made and explain the issue and that I'd like to know what D* is doing about it. He responds that this is one of the highest priorities. I ask why the other supervisor promised me a software upgrade. He says " he doesn't know why i was told that because they do not have a fix and are working on it". I ask if the fix will be in days, weeks or months. He said he doesn't know because they haven't figured it out yet. I tell him what the CSR offered and why I feel its unacceptable and he agrees that I could get either a RCA or the 360. I ask for a credit. He agrees and gives me a 350 credit so I can purchase a new rec'r. So I'm probably going to go get the HD tivo for $850.00.

Other than this issue i really liked the 360 but I'm not willing to wait. Good luck to everyone with the 360 i hope it gets fixed soon.

Any known issues with the HD TIVO????
post #108 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenelucky
Just got off the phone with D*. Spoke with an older man from their Oklahoma center and he of course didn't know anything about it. He even tried to get me to plug it into a non HD TV to see if I still get the problem. He credited me a month of the HD package and said he would pass the problem along.

Call Extended Support at 888-713-7772 and lodge your complaint.
post #109 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PDPnNJ
Call Extended Support at 888-713-7772 and lodge your complaint.
That was the number I called.
post #110 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 12:11 PM

This problem was amplified when Fox HD went online,now that ABC HD is coming,D* is going to very busy with Sammy 360 customers
post #111 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenelucky
That was the number I called.
Very interesting. The 2 CSRs I spoke with were familiar with the issue. That was 2 different calls. I love my TS360 performance aside from this glitch. I hope the software download fixes these issues. I have the advantage of getting FOX-HD OTA (same channel) out of NY so my problem is not as bad as the rest of TS360 owners.
post #112 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WILDCAT NATION

It is definitly unwatchable. Also, if you want to watch ABC-HD OTA you will have the same problem. My RCA DTC-210 arrives on Monday, after I hook it up and verify that it doesn't have this problem the Sammy is on its way back to Best Buy.
post #113 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Apps1
...... Also, if you want to watch ABC-HD OTA you will have the same problem.
Not true, the bug does not affect the OTA tuner portion of the box. My local Fox and ABC broadcasts look fine. However, the Directv provided Fox feed is affected and the ABC feed theoretically would have the same issue if this is not fixed before it is offered.
post #114 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffU
Not true, the bug does not affect the OTA tuner portion of the box. My local Fox and ABC broadcasts look fine. However, the Directv provided Fox feed is affected and the ABC feed theoretically would have the same issue if this is not fixed before it is offered.
It is true for everyone in my market (Greenville, SC) with a Sammy that watches HD on our local ABC affilliate. The Fox broadcasts are fine but ABC-HD has the ESPN-HD problem. My Hughes E86 and RCA DTC100 work fine for ABC OTA.

Could it be because some affilliates convert the 720p to 1080i and others do not? Is there any possibility my local Fox converts to 1080i? If not, I am even more confused by this issue.
post #115 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 04:28 PM

Quote:
It is true for everyone in my market (Greenville, SC) with a Sammy that watches HD on our local ABC affilliate. The Fox broadcasts are fine but ABC-HD has the ESPN-HD problem. My Hughes E86 and RCA DTC100 work fine for ABC OTA.

Could it be because some affilliates convert the 720p to 1080i and others do not?
That must be another bug with these Sammy's - we did have some issues with the ABC station here in the past that had to do with PSIP coding. Once, Monday Night Football cut out and did not come back until the next day. "The Horror" It was later learned that it affected anyone who had a Samsung.
post #116 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 06:52 PM

Hi All,

I just called the 1-800-713-7772 number to complain about the problem.
The Tech guy saw I had the protection plan and he transfered me to them.
I spoke with the CSR rep and explained the problem. He went through what have you done to troubleshoot the problem. I explained I already tried to reboot the receiver and still had the problem. He then put me on hold and went to see if he could see the same thing on their floor model.
He came back and indicated he did see about a 1 second delay in the audio and the video breakups. He then claimed that they were aware of the problem and he would report it to his supervisor. Also he indicated he saw the problem using a Hughes receiver and not the Samsung TS-360, that I have.

So based on this one must ask is it really the Samsung Receiver or the Feed.
post #117 of 609 Old 12-30-2004, 11:51 PM

Chalk up another unhappy 360 owner who has signed the petition. I've even noticed problems during SportsCenter when showing some film-like NFL clips. I sure hope this software upgrade comes soon and fixes the problem. I'll be calling D* pretty soon about some kind of credit.

WNEM CBS 5 and WSMH FOX 66 are evil.
post #118 of 609 Old 12-31-2004, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
GO ahead and call them. I was told not to expect the fix for at least a couple of months.

"It has to be isolated. Then the fix developed and tested...."
post #119 of 609 Old 12-31-2004, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Could it be because some affilliates convert the 720p to 1080i and others do not? Is there any possibility my local Fox converts to 1080i? If not, I am even more confused by this issue.
This is my first post, but it may shed some new light on the problem relative to the above. I'm in the Conway,SC area, have D* HD and am able to receive ABC OTA from both Florence, SC and Wilimington, NC -- both with strong, stable reception. Both ABC affiliates broadcast in 720p. The Florence ABC affiliate is plagued with delayed sound on any Network HD show that they broadcast ("Housewives, LOST", etc.). No problem when they broadcast SD over their digital channel. They, right now are not broadcasting in Dolby 5.1 but in Dolby ProLogic (HT Processor selects automaically). The Wilmington ABC affiliate (WWAY-DT) comes in perfectly on the same Network programs - no delayed sound, but they're using full Dolby 5.1. Resolution is the same 720p as the Florence station.
Interestingly, I note that ESPN-HD uses the same Dolby Pro Logic sound - not 5.1, so I'm wondering if this could be the problem? It might, except that the other local OTA channel (CBS, WBTW-DT Florence) currently uses Dolby Pro Logic on all their HD broeadcasts with absoutely no sound sync problems and a flawless picture.
I carried on an extensive correspondence with the Florence ABC Gen'l Mananger and Chief Engineer, who both maintain that the HD broadcast epuipment is all working correctly. However, It's my understanding that their HD gear is one or two generations behind the latest in HD equipment. Apparently, handed down from other stations in their parent corporation's group. So, perhaps it is the result of old equipment software. The Florence people, at first, maintained it was a receiver problem until I pointed out that no such problem existed on the other ABC station. They did incidently, suggest that it might be a resolution problem with the 720p, until they learned the other affiliate was also 720P!
I'm passing this along for what it's worth. However (and I'm just guessing here) I think the problem lies at the broadcast (transmission) end - either with the equipment software or in the sound encoding process. Just my opinion. Still, it is strange that other receivers don't exhibit the problem -- or do they when used with faulty OTA transmissions. Be interested in your thoughts on this. John
post #120 of 609 Old 12-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by winston4u
This is my first post, but it may shed some new light on the problem relative to the above. I'm in the Conway,SC area, have D* HD and am able to receive ABC OTA from both Florence, SC and Wilimington, NC -- both with strong, stable reception. Both ABC affiliates broadcast in 720p. The Florence ABC affiliate is plagued with delayed sound on any Network HD show that they broadcast ("Housewives, LOST", etc.). No problem when they broadcast SD over their digital channel. They, right now are not broadcasting in Dolby 5.1 but in Dolby ProLogic (HT Processor selects automaically). The Wilmington ABC affiliate (WWAY-DT) comes in perfectly on the same Network programs - no delayed sound, but they're using full Dolby 5.1. Resolution is the same 720p as the Florence station.
Interestingly, I note that ESPN-HD uses the same Dolby Pro Logic sound - not 5.1, so I'm wondering if this could be the problem? It might, except that the other local OTA channel (CBS, WBTW-DT Florence) currently uses Dolby Pro Logic on all their HD broeadcasts with absoutely no sound sync problems and a flawless picture.
I carried on an extensive correspondence with the Florence ABC Gen'l Mananger and Chief Engineer, who both maintain that the HD broadcast epuipment is all working correctly. However, It's my understanding that their HD gear is one or two generations behind the latest in HD equipment. Apparently, handed down from other stations in their parent corporation's group. So, perhaps it is the result of old equipment software. The Florence people, at first, maintained it was a receiver problem until I pointed out that no such problem existed on the other ABC station. They did incidently, suggest that it might be a resolution problem with the 720p, until they learned the other affiliate was also 720P!
I'm passing this along for what it's worth. However (and I'm just guessing here) I think the problem lies at the broadcast (transmission) end - either with the equipment software or in the sound encoding process. Just my opinion. Still, it is strange that other receivers don't exhibit the problem -- or do they when used with faulty OTA transmissions. Be interested in your thoughts on this. John

This gets curiouser and curiouser. WLOS passes along DD5.1, but the problem is much more than just a lip sync issue. It is almost like the sound is fine but the video seems to be at the wrong speed. The video studder cant keep up with the sound. I will see what happens when my RCA DTC210 arrives Monday.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page