DirecTV satellite dish trash bag cover? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 12-29-2004, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone ever tried using a black plastic trash bag to cover the satellite dish? This way, you keep out most of the snow and some some water which could turn into ice. I suspect the satellite signal can penetrate the plastic bag.

Will this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-29-2004, 09:52 AM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by dxy56
Has anyone ever tried using a black plastic trash bag to cover the satellite dish? This way, you keep out most of the snow and some some water which could turn into ice. I suspect the satellite signal can penetrate the plastic bag.

Will this work?
I live in NW Indiana - we got 22" of snow last week, and my dish had snow and ice all over it. Never lost my signal once.

tjk
post #3 of 22 Old 12-29-2004, 10:02 AM

Yes, it works, but look ugly, attenuates about 20% of the signal and as thtjk says, is usually is not necessary.

-Robert
post #4 of 22 Old 12-29-2004, 10:21 AM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Robert -

Posted this on another thread, was hoping you could help....

I'm switching from the D* RCA DTC210 to the HD Tivo. Currenly, my off air antenna and satellite dish run into a diplexer outside, then one line is run into the house and split again. I also have two other sat. lines going in to the house for an SD Ultimate TV receiver.

Since I'm replacing two receivers with one, I'm going to get rid of the diplexer and just run the cable right from the OTA antenna to the Tivo. Problem is, I need to join the cable running to the diplexer to the cable running from the diplexedr into the house (I'd rather not install a new wire). Will any 2-way f-type connectors, like the $2 version sold at Radio Shack work, or are some better than others at preventing signal loss? Can someone suggest where I might find a good one? Again, keep in mind it will be used outside.

Thanks.

tjk
post #5 of 22 Old 12-29-2004, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Barrel connectors work fine. I didn't check the jist of the change very closely so I'll just mention the D* HD TiVo takes two satellite and one OTA connection in case that wasn't clear. Any exposed connections do best with O-ring connectors and silicone compound. There's also a gel filled snap on cover that protects nicely.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-29-2004, 01:54 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greywolf
Barrel connectors work fine. I didn't check the jist of the change very closely so I'll just mention the D* HD TiVo takes two satellite and one OTA connection in case that wasn't clear. Any exposed connections do best with O-ring connectors and silicone compound. There's also a gel filled snap on cover that protects nicely.
Thanks Pat. Actually, you've seen my setup - you recommended to me that I ditch the diplexer (I already have three lines running into the house). The two coax cables I need to connect are already outside and were installed by D*, so I assume those connections are fine. As for the barrel connector, do you know where I would get the snap on cover you mention? Thanks again.

tjk
post #7 of 22 Old 12-29-2004, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

http://catv.telecomosp.com/copper1.c...&ThisSite=catv is one example from a search for "coax gel filled closures.

Never assume an installer did the job correctly.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-30-2004, 02:41 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
http://catv.telecomosp.com/copper1.c...&ThisSite=catv is one example from a search for "coax gel filled closures.

Never assume an installer did the job correctly.
Pat -

That looks pretty much perfect for me, assuming I need to cover the barrel connector with something, but after searching throught the net, I can't find anyone who sell them. Do you know of anyone?

tjk
post #9 of 22 Old 12-30-2004, 03:06 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjk
Pat -

That looks pretty much perfect for me, assuming I need to cover the barrel connector with something, but after searching throught the net, I can't find anyone who sell them. Do you know of anyone?
Never mind - found a place.:)

tjk
post #10 of 22 Old 12-30-2004, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
$40 Dscover www.dishcover.com doesn't effect signal and eliminates snow and rain fade.

http://www.dishcover.com/images/GBA18full.gif

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #11 of 22 Old 12-31-2004, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I've always wondered how those covers can eliminate rain fade when everything I've read says that rain fade is caused by a saturated atmosphere. Or something like that. Am I laboring under a misconception or are these things a scam?
post #12 of 22 Old 12-31-2004, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

The product's FAQ is misleading all right. It mentions cloud cover not being affected but insists water on the dish and LNBs can stop the signal. That's not how it works. If it's raining hard enough to prevent the signal from getting from the reflector to the LNB, that signal isn't getting through to the relector in the first place. The only advantage I can see is for ice and an unusual snow. I've never lost signal due to snow cover but ice on the LNBs has bitten me one in 4 years. The next morning, the LNBs cleared while the reflector was ice coated. Signal strength was no less than on a clear summer day.

Pat

post #13 of 22 Old 12-31-2004, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The product's FAQ is misleading all right. It mentions cloud cover not being affected but insists water on the dish and LNBs can stop the signal. That's not how it works. If it's raining hard enough to prevent the signal from getting from the reflector to the LNB, that signal isn't getting through to the relector in the first place. The only advantage I can see is for ice and an unusual snow. I've never lost signal due to snow cover but ice on the LNBs has bitten me one in 4 years. The next morning, the LNBs cleared while the reflector was ice coated. Signal strength was no less than on a clear summer day.
Thanks for confirming that, I thought it was a scam! Not unlike some cable companies claiming that we dish people lose our signal when it's cloudy. Out and out lies and deception.
post #14 of 22 Old 12-31-2004, 11:58 AM

I have lost signal when it is cloudy. I also have very strong signal strengths, all my non spots are 85+. I will say though it is raining hard just south of me when this happens. I live 12 stories up and can see the hard rain a few miles to the south and it will be sunny or just cloudy at my location and my signal will degrade or sometimes go out.
We got a very hard rain last night and my signal dropped for at the most 2 seconds and that was it, but at times it hasn't rained at all and it will drop for a few minutes with a good storm to my south.

I need a Vegas Vacation!
post #15 of 22 Old 12-31-2004, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpeckinp
I have lost signal when it is cloudy. I also have very strong signal strengths, all my non spots are 85+. I will say though it is raining hard just south of me when this happens. I live 12 stories up and can see the hard rain a few miles to the south and it will be sunny or just cloudy at my location and my signal will degrade or sometimes go out.
We got a very hard rain last night and my signal dropped for at the most 2 seconds and that was it, but at times it hasn't rained at all and it will drop for a few minutes with a good storm to my south.
You have brought up another aspect to this. I think what we have to remember is that we are not looking straight up, but out through the atmosphere at angle that deceases the further north we are of the equator. So someone in New York would be going through considerably more atmosphere and the weather systems therein than someone in the lower states like Texas (which is where I am). So we are affected by the weather, I hope I didn't leave the impression that we weren't, but cable companies (I can name one right now I cannot stand) would have the public (read - potential customers) believe that it is far worse than it really is.

Thanks for jogging my dried-up brain cells with that reminder.

(btw, if I'm still fuzzy here, I'm sure someone will jump in an correct me)
post #16 of 22 Old 12-31-2004, 01:24 PM

Any cover over the dish degrades the signal. Satellite dish covers absolutely reduce the signal and actually increase the rain fade margin.

On a rainy day with dense low clouds where you have lost the signal, remove the dish cover and bingo, DIRECTV just may come back.

-Robert
post #17 of 22 Old 12-31-2004, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone here living in a cold climate used the satellite antenna heater kit? Their marketing claims to totally eliminate your snow and ice signal issues. I have seen them on homes in Evergreen and Breckenridge, CO.

http://www.2000networks.com/accessor...ot_hs24kit.jpg

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #18 of 22 Old 12-31-2004, 08:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

That won't do a thing for the LNBs which were the only problem I've ever had.

Pat

post #19 of 22 Old 12-31-2004, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Pat, I agree, looks like another gimmick. I wonder if anyone will invent a heating system for LNB's?

post #20 of 22 Old 01-01-2005, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would not use a black bag. The heat from a closed black bag would be enough to bake the electronics.

I have lost signal due to rain fade plenty of times, and I don't believe any of these devices would help. OTOH, I've only lost signal due to snow or ice build up on the antenna once in 9 years.

SMK
post #21 of 22 Old 01-05-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjk
Never mind - found a place.:)

I've been looking for the same thing, were did you find them?
post #22 of 22 Old 01-05-2005, 10:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm presently under about 8 inches of snow and it's still coming down. Signal strength is down about 2-5 points lower than a clear blue sky.

Pat

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page