Difference between RG59 coax and RG6 coax? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-19-2005, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the difference between RG59 and RG6 coax cable? I had a guy come and prewire my house for satellite HDTV and to my surprise he used RG59 cable instead of RG6. I assumed (incorrectly) that RG6 was now the standard cable of choice. The guy assures me that I would not be able to tell the difference in the cable when it comes to picture quality --- I dont really believe him and may have him rewire everything with RG6... This is a prewire job (before I put up the drywall) so I have to do it now or never!

Any advice from you guys would be appreciated!!!

My wiring set up is as follows:

5 Cables (4 for SAT and 1 for Antenna) from roof (satellite dish) to Central Hub in closet where they will connect to a 5X8 Multiswitch... from there there are 2 Cables sent to each room where a TV will be located.

Video Components:
HD SAT TIVO --- HR10-250 connected to Mitsubishi DLP WD62725 (In main room)
Non-HD TIVO in bedroom with non-HD TV but would like the option to add a plasma there later...
All other rooms just standard box and TV...

Please let me know what I should do about this wiring situation - Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 PM

2 possible starting links:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/cabletech?text=1

http://www.radio-ware.com/products/t...o/coaxloss.htm
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2005, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
RG59 is a little smaller diameter and has more loss for a given length than RG6. For relatively short distances the extra loss of RG59 maynot be an issue. For long lengths like 100feet or so, RG6 is preferable. The cost difference is little or nothing so if you can choose might as well go with RG6.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-19-2005, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 73
RG 59 Is fine for OTA, but when you move to SAT the coax needs to carry current up to the dish along with the signal that is sent down. RG 59 may work for you, but if given the chance I'd go with RG 6.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-20-2005, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The difference between the two cables is insignificant for most home installations. 100 feet of Belden RG6 has 4.2 dB of loss at 550 MHz while the Belden RG 59 has 5.9 dB per 100 feet. The amplified signals from the satellite LNBs or from an OTA antenna pre-amp will not suffer any degradation from this small difference. An unamplified OTA signal from an antenna might be slightly affected in marginal signal areas. Additionally the RG59 is easier to work with when snaking cables through walls, attics etc.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-20-2005, 03:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Since you'll always wonder if you did the right thing, you mind as well go ahead and have him rewire it with the RG6.

Its worth the piece of mind.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-20-2005, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are the absolute best! It is so nice to have a site like this with so many competant people who are willing to help us who are less knowledgable in this area!

I think based on the above what I will likely do is leave the RG59 in place - especially because the run from the satellite to the Multiswitch is only 10-12 feet and then the run from the Multiswitch to the more important TVs (bedroom and family room) is only another 15 and 25 feet respectively.

Once again thank you all for taking the time to explain and write detailed explanations that I could use! It is very much appreciated!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-20-2005, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dish Network's DishPro technology requires RG-6 cable. I would not accept the RG-59. Replacing it with RG-6 once the drywall goes up will be expensive.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me for a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-20-2005, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Direct TV systems require RG-6. That installer was full of it. Rewire now while you can and make sure you use weatherproof fittings outside.

D/l the self-install manual from Direct TV's website. It is spelled out several times..RG-6.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-21-2005, 10:56 AM

RG-6 is definitely the way to go. It also has a heavier gauge center conductor that provides a bit more current-carrying capacity.

Also, if I recall correctly, the dB scale is logarithmic, so a difference of 1.0 in the loss measurement represents a 10x (or ten times) loss or gain, which is not at all insignificant.

RG-6 is designed to carry the much higher frequency signals used with the sattelite hardware, whereas RG-59 was designed to handle just the broadcast frequencies which are significantly lower.

When push comes to shove, do you want a system that is properly specified for its intended use or one that may or may not be "good enough?"
post #11 of 12 Old 01-21-2005, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
1.0db is not a loss of 10x! dB is 20 log G, for voltage gain/loss or 10 log G for power gain/loss. For example, a signal voltage drop from 1.00V (0dB) to 0.707V(-3dB). 1/2 signal is about -6dB.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-21-2005, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

RG-59 is easier to maneuver and install than RG-6.

"Time's up. Had your chance. Muffed it." ~Lord Scrumptious

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page