post #3241 of 3267 Old 06-16-2006, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
interesting...the Fish had to have a 2 yr commitment and you didnt

very logical..i had no idea until i read these posts, that they had different levels from free to no commitment
Well the post DPUGH responded to said something about giving it free to their "best" customers. And I don't know what DPUGH's level of spending on D* is, but he could very well be spending more than I do.

I don't subscribe to the complete package, in fact at this point the only extra cost features I have are the HD package and the local channels. I don't have the sports package, or HBO, or Showtime or NFL or NBA or any of those premium channels, and I have never been able to bring myself to use the pay-per-view feature, so I doubt that I am considered their "best" customer.

I'm also not clear on whether he paid anything for his HD-20. Since he's in Wisconsin, he may have. I haven't read anything about them sending HD-20s for free to any markets outside of LA and NY. But I'll probably call D* on the weekend and ask for an explanation of why someone else got the dish without a commitment, and I was told that if I wanted to go ahead and upgrade the dish, a 2 year commitment would be required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3267 Old 06-16-2006, 04:39 AM

Well Brine was correct on the discount.

I got the $33 discount quick and easy. Just told them that I read online Total Choice Premier customers could get the discount and that was all it took.

Thanks Brine :)

Always learning.....no one really knows it all.
post #3243 of 3267 Old 06-16-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
i'm not gonna go back and search but if he said that after looking thru his database, then i guess i'll have to join the mob and think he's not on the up and up. See i like to back people, especially the underdog that everyone hates. i could overlook the predictions of mpeg4. But if he said / is saying even today there are no free hdtivos, then i'm tossing him out the back of the truck and not supporting him anymore.

I'll help you out.....start here and read the next page or 2.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ne#post7682277
post #3244 of 3267 Old 06-18-2006, 02:39 PM

UNFORTUNATE NEWS!!

the Release of the MPEG 4 HD DVR( HR20-X ) has been pushed back...
its now "fall 2006" last year this meant "Late November / Early December"

Unique News

i let this slip through the Cracks but if you have an interactive Receiver Try this:
turn to channel 102
now on the remote press the red button

check that out! yea ? yea ? ( should work on D10,D11,R15,H20 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brine
... i wish it was more affordable to everyone, but its not.
so all i can say is "there is not anybody who is getting it free" - not now any
way...
newsposter,

Actually i did know, i hope re-reading this from back in 5-19-06 does shed some light on that...

besides a lot of that info from the forum is bogus/twisted/farfetched...
not everyone will get the offer, and there are a lot more CSRs that won't
honor the offer than actually give it.

And CSR roullette is just cheapness. but, hey if you can't afford to buy one
the honest way, then there is nothing stopping you.

more info soon...

-Brine
post #3245 of 3267 Old 06-18-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
UNFORTUNATE NEWS!!

Unfortunate? Nope. It's downright incompetence! :( As I recall, by then, D* will have had MPEG 4 out for at least a year? And, DVR technology(of any type) is how old? Welcome to:

The Leader In HD!

HD-Lite is a Copyright(©) of DirecTv.

Woodland Park/Divide
38° 57' 49"N 105° 05' 33"W - 8,900'

Enercept SIP Provider
post #3246 of 3267 Old 06-18-2006, 06:28 PM

I tried the red button and it did absolutely nothing. The yellow button would change which channel the audio came from but that was it. (H20-600)
post #3247 of 3267 Old 06-18-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
UNFORTUNATE NEWS!!

Quote:
And MPEG 4 DVR... off schedule/on schedule - there was never an "OFFICIAL" release date ust an announced, speculated approximate Date.... however it is nearing completion... nd the Date that i was told ( very generalized ) its actually rumored ( for what its worth )to be ahead of schedule....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7566454

Perhaps Brine meant to say that 2008 is the completion date, so any time sooner is ahead of schedule.

Quote:

more info soon...

-Brine
It we want correct info, you are proving it doesn't come from you.

I am so tempted to short the heck out of this stock in the morning. The problem is, the info comes from you, lol.
post #3248 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic
I am so tempted to short the heck out of this stock in the morning. The problem is, the info comes from you, lol.
Don't short the stock. The wants, desires, rants, raves, and similar concerns of people here and at tivocommunity don't matter. The community isn't big enough to matter. 99% of the subscribers to dish or directv have NEVER even heard of either forum.

It's difficult for us techies to understand, but our desires don't matter AT ALL to either directv or to Wall Street.
post #3249 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

That right!
post #3250 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyPreWired
HD-Lite is a Copyright(©) of DirecTv.

And as posted by CPanther, used extensively by DISH also:

"Somebody correct me if my list is inaccurate (like I really have to ask ), but I believe the break down for E* is as follows. Note that 720p channels are always carried without downrezzing.

1080i channels with full 1920 x 1080i resolution
Showtime HD
HBO HD
Discovery HD Theater
HDNet Movies
HDNet
TNT HD
Universal HD
HGTV HD

1080i channels downrezzed to HD-Lite
CBS-HD
NBC-HD
Starz HDTV
Animania HD
Family Room HD
GamePlay HD
Equator HD
Film Fest HD
Kung Fu HD
Monsters HD
World Cinema HD
HDNews
Rave HD
NFL Network HD
Rush HD
WorldSport HD
Gallery HD
Treasure HD
Ultra HD

This is only listing 1080i channels that would be considered HD-Lite due to downrezzing. HD-Lite can also be caused by insufficient bandwidth allocated to an HD channel. "

hmmmmmmm............. Is CPanther correct or not?
post #3251 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 320
The CBS and NBC HD listings refer to local stations which could already be hampering the signal by multicasting, no fault of DirecTV's or Dish's. CBS-HD-West DNS is full res/bitrate.

I suppose the point being, DirecTV down-rezzes all 1920x1080i channels to 1280x1080i while Dish does not.
post #3252 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan
The CBS and NBC HD listings refer to local stations. CBS-HD-West DNS is full res/bitrate.

I suppose the point being, DirecTV down-rezzes all 1920x1080i channels to 1280x1080i while Dish does not.
You don't have to SUPPOSE what I am saying, because I'll tell you. Even though E* is sending down those 8 or so channels in full HD, they too utilize HD-Lite for the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of HD channels. Neither is doing the right thing for viewers IMO, can't justify either one (one all HD-Lite, the other MOSTLY HD-Lite).

I wouldn't raise a banner for either based on panthers info.
post #3253 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoBuck
You don't have to SUPPOSE what I am saying, because I'll tell you. Even though E* is sending down those 8 or so channels in full HD, they too utilize HD-Lite for the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of HD channels. Neither is doing the right thing for viewers IMO, can't justify either one (one all HD-Lite, the other MOSTLY HD-Lite).

No, I wouldn't either, but as things stand right now, today, Dish definitely has the better quality HD, and that "OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of HD channels" are Voom exclusives, so they will skew an apples to apples comparison.

I'd really like to see some un-biased, subjective reports on DirecTV's local HD to see if they are having the same issues as Dish is having.
post #3254 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan
No, I wouldn't either, but as things stand right now, today, Dish definitely has the better quality HD, and that "OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of HD channels" are Voom exclusives, so they will skew an apples to apples comparison.
keenan I do actually agree personally - but the main point is NEITHER is really doing the right thing at the moment from a quality standpoint. those that post that E* is better, yada, yada, yada are bragging about very little IMO.

you just gotta hope that the next 6 months start to bring changes for both - hoping that the continued growing competition forces ALL to improve offerings, resolutions, etc.
post #3255 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 10:03 AM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
10 year subscriber to DirecTV - doing an extensive home remodel. The house is pre-wired for distrubution from a centralized multi-switch in the basement to 8 TV locations - 3 DVR, 8 non-dvr, so a total of 11 RG6 runs pre-wired.

I want to install the 5 LNB dish (currently have the 3 LNB).

Questions:

1. Is there a multi-switch to support this many runs, or do I daisy-chain multiple multi-switches?

2. Does OTA work differently on the MPEG 4 HD receivers (i.e. does the OTA still get split the same way)?

3. Does anyone know of an installer in Chicago that knows what they're doing? I'm very afraid to go with the random installer they send.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

tjk
post #3256 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 10:26 AM

1. Not that I have seen yet, but I am sure it will be coming before too long. Now you need 2 6x8 multiswitches which will give you 12 outputs

2. Yes. You can not diplex the OTA on the new receivers. The OTA frequncy range is being used by some of the new satellites. Hopefully you can get more RG6 in your walls.

3. Don't know as I dont live there plus I do all my own work.
post #3257 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 10:41 AM

Well Brine,
Thanks for the input. Called Dish today for complete install of 2 HD-DVR Mpeg4 and 2-HD receivers with every channel they offer. Tired of D*'s lies. I paid for a HD-DVR Mpeg4 to D* last October. CSR screwed up (Imagine that!) . They have been doing a tap dance ever since. I gave them until June 30th to perform. I guess I will now have to go after them for a refund since the HD-DVR they delivered has been in a box beacuse it would not work with my 5 LNB dish.
post #3258 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk
10 year subscriber to DirecTV - doing an extensive home remodel. The house is pre-wired for distrubution from a centralized multi-switch in the basement to 8 TV locations - 3 DVR, 8 non-dvr, so a total of 11 RG6 runs pre-wired.
What Longrider said +
What I see is 14 runs for the sat(6 - DVR + 8 nonDVR)(unless the DVR's only have 1 receiver).

Of course, you only need the number of outputs for the active receivers, so you may be able to get by with a smaller multiswitch.

Normally for each TV location, I recommend:
1 downstream cable(OTA/FM + modulated channels)...
1 upstream cable(carry modulated channels back to distribution)...
1 sat cable(2 if using a DVR)...

So, under my recs, you would be 'undercabled'.

Is the drywall up yet(can you add extra cables)?

Also, don't forget the computer network cables! :p
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #3259 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk
...3. Does anyone know of an installer in Chicago that knows what they're doing? I'm very afraid to go with the random installer they send.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
There are a number of them. Best choice probably depends on where you live.

One of the larger independent, family owned, authorized DirecTV dealer/installers on the north side is Ben's TV and Home Theatre on Harlem and Dempster in Morton Grove (847-583-8500).

There are lots of other well qualified installers in Chicagoland, although not all of them are technically "authorized." Of course, they all are more expensive than dealing directly with D*, but I'm sure you knew that.

For what it's worth, the D* CSR I dealt with last year was willing to let me select my own installer instead of the one they would send, provided they were on the authorized list. I didn't in the end because of timing issues, but I did have the option.
post #3260 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider
1. Not that I have seen yet, but I am sure it will be coming before too long. Now you need 2 6x8 multiswitches which will give you 12 outputs

2. Yes. You can not diplex the OTA on the new receivers. The OTA frequncy range is being used by some of the new satellites. Hopefully you can get more RG6 in your walls.

3. Don't know as I dont live there plus I do all my own work.
1. Wouldn't two 6X8's give me 16 outputs? How are two multi-switches combined?

2. I thought that was the case - I've got an extra coax to my two main HD locations - for the third, I've got easy access. I plan on using the HD Tivo for a while anyway - doesn't look like an MPEG4 DVR is coming out anytime soon, and I've got way too much wire to want to deal with any more. Eventually I would expect all local HD to be available via satellite - as much as I like D* they're actually going to fall behind cable in technology if every receiver requires three coax runs.

So what is the path from the 5 LNB dish and OTA antenna to the receiver? In other words, how is an OTA antenna connected to one or more MPEG4 receivers?

tjk
post #3261 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 01:23 PM

You only get 12 outputs since 4 of the outputs on the first switch feed the second switch.

The OTA antenna is connected directly to the receiver independent of the sat signal. That is why each location needs 2 cables (or 3 if it is a DVR) The dish feeds the multiswitch which then feeds the receivers, and the antenna feeds a splitter or distribution amp which then feeds the receivers.
post #3262 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider
You only get 12 outputs since 4 of the outputs on the first switch feed the second switch.

The OTA antenna is connected directly to the receiver independent of the sat signal. That is why each location needs 2 cables (or 3 if it is a DVR) The dish feeds the multiswitch which then feeds the receivers, and the antenna feeds a splitter or distribution amp which then feeds the receivers.
If you run high frequency splitters before the switches you can run them in parallel and get 16 outputs.
post #3263 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk
So what is the path from the 5 LNB dish and OTA antenna to the receiver? In other words, how is an OTA antenna connected to one or more MPEG4 receivers?
I would just get a distribution panel for the OTA/FM, and run from that to each room. Each receiver should have separate 'F' connectors for the Sat input and OTA. So, in a minimal configuration, you could have a wall plate with 2 'F' connectors(1 - Sat, 1 - OTA). And, if you had an FM receiver in the same room, you could just use a splitter on the OTA 'F' connector to feed both the FM receiver and your OTA receiver.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #3264 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 02:16 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyPreWired
I would just get a distribution panel for the OTA/FM, and run from that to each room. Each receiver should have separate 'F' connectors for the Sat input and OTA. So, in a minimal configuration, you could have a wall plate with 2 'F' connectors(1 - Sat, 1 - OTA). And, if you had an FM receiver in the same room, you could just use a splitter on the OTA 'F' connector to feed both the FM receiver and your OTA receiver.
....jc
Thanks for all the responses. I should be in pretty good shape - I have three "main" TV locations - basement, family room, and master BR. The basement and family room will both have the receivers located in an equipment closet, and I ran 8 coax lines from the multi switch location to that closet, so I've got more coax lines than I'll need. The master BR will have a box located locally, and has two coax lines - I will either have a non-DVR HD receiver, or use the MPEG 2 Tivo until all the locals get picked up by D*. At some point I'm assuming the only thing I'll need the OTA for is FM. If I really need to, I can get a third line from the basement to the master BR because fortunately I ran some conduit to get access to the bedroom.

Should I have any concerns connecting two multi switches together? I ran the best quad shield pure copper wire I could find. I can't possibly be the only customer D* has with more than 8 runs. That's not even a lot if you have multiple DVR's. Heck I'm sure a lot of AVS has more than that.

tjk
post #3265 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 02:19 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66stang351
If you run high frequency splitters before the switches you can run them in parallel and get 16 outputs.
Is this what you would recommend? All of this stuff is just going to hang on a wall near the electrical panel, so how it all looks is really not all that important.

tjk
post #3266 of 3267 Old 06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoBuck
Even though E* is sending down those 8 or so channels in full HD, they too utilize HD-Lite for the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of HD channels. Neither is doing the right thing for viewers IMO, can't justify either one (one all HD-Lite, the other MOSTLY HD-Lite).

So how many full HD channels does D* have, zero? We get that you like D*. We get that your a Yankee fan and E* will never pay the overinflated rates that George is charging. But saying that E* is ONLY broadcasting 8 full HD channels is kinda thin logic don't you think? I'm only speaking from MY OPINION, as a customer of both, the PQ is NOT EVEN CLOSE. I gave up on watching BSG on Universal when I had only D*. I nearly messed myself when I got it on E*.
post #3267 of 3267 Old 06-20-2006, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Thread Continues Here

Please remember to follow AVS rules particularly no bashing or feuding

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page