post #181 of 3267 Old 01-31-2005, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gordon
Considering the H10 is out now, is the H20 a MPEG-4 receiver?!

~Alan
yes RObert has posted as such before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3267 Old 01-31-2005, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tonybradley

I sure hope you are wrong. Here is the problem with that for the Consumer (good for D* I guess). If that happens, it means I will be spending $9 a month for nothing ($2.25 for each DNS feed....4 of them). However, based on the new law, if I cancel it, I'll NEVER get the DNS feeds back. So, I either waste $9 a month, or get rid of HD DNS, which would be ashame.

Does anyone know what Market Charleston, WV is in? We have NBC OTA, and Fox & ABC will be HD by this weekend (we are hoping). However, our CBS network (WOWK) is reluctant to provide HD. Their digital signal is only 1MW. Nobody can pick it up. it's been like that for about 2 years now.
wow that would suck. Hopefully D* takes that into account. But i dont even think that's so horrrible. Presumably they could have just about everyone's locals up within a year (I have seen estimates that 85% could fit on the first 2 satellites) so the amount of people who wont have HD LIL's soon, and who have HD id probably a tiny amount. It would be measured in thousands not even tens of thousands I would guess.
post #183 of 3267 Old 01-31-2005, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelk
I think after they do all the O&O markets, you folks getting DNS in HD will be such a small group it will be tough to hold all that space for 8HD channels just for a few tens of thousands of people when they could use the bandwidth for some missing national HD.
(if it is even tens of thousands who are grandfathered until the new digital white area rules are done)
While there may be quite a few people who have "grandfathered" DNS, the number of those that also have HD are probably a lot smaller, and once the first 12 HD-LIL markets are up, I figure that that takes care of a lot of the people watching the channels on 80-89, and since the majority of other O&O markets will probably be available either later this year or next early next year, then I don't see why they wouldn't just switch the DNS feeds over to MPEG-4 this year and then they wouldn't have to worry about having enough bandwith for Sunday Ticket.

Yes, some people have mentioned that DirecTV might not want to be overbooked with installs for the new dish and new receivers, but let's face it, a good majority of the people who have DNS are probably people in more rural areas like mine where the amount of HD customers are probably the lowest and therefore more installers with free time available to swap them out. Also, customers who do live in O&O markets that are not in the first or second wave could also be swapped out first since they will probably soon need the new dish and receivers anyway...

~Alan

DirecTV SUBSCRIBER since 1995!
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views
of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.
post #184 of 3267 Old 01-31-2005, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

That would be pretty cool. To have my Local HDs on D* within a year. I just hope the CEO at my CBS affiliate gets on the ball. I've went to him a few times and he said "we will not go HD until major sat or cable companies agree to carry it". He must not keep up with the news as when I asked, D* already announced the 1,500 Local HD stations they would add. Since we are Market #62...that's fairly high..he better get on the ball.

Tony
post #185 of 3267 Old 01-31-2005, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gordon
While there may be quite a few people who have "grandfathered" DNS, the number of those that also have HD are probably a lot smaller, and once the first 12 HD-LIL markets are up, I figure that that takes care of a lot of the people watching the channels on 80-89, and since the majority of other O&O markets will probably be available either later this year or next early next year, then I don't see why they wouldn't just switch the DNS feeds over to MPEG-4 this year and then they wouldn't have to worry about having enough bandwith for Sunday Ticket.

Yes, some people have mentioned that DirecTV might not want to be overbooked with installs for the new dish and new receivers, but let's face it, a good majority of the people who have DNS are probably people in more rural areas like mine where the amount of HD customers are probably the lowest and therefore more installers with free time available to swap them out. Also, customers who do live in O&O markets that are not in the first or second wave could also be swapped out first since they will probably soon need the new dish and receivers anyway...

~Alan
good point- just switch to MPEG4. I totally agree, switching the national stuff over to MPEG4 is alot easier logistically then doing a whole markets LIL- the required installs will be spread out all over the country instead of all in one DMA.
post #186 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by tonybradley
If I'm in Market#62, I wonder if I will get Locals in 2006 or 2007?
FWIW, Charleston, WV is the largest DMA without FOX-HD yet.
post #187 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DTV TiVo Dealer
If Tandberg MPEG-4 boxes are for DIRECTV, they would be used in the Denver up-link facility. A friend of mine, from my professional broadcast TV days, told me he sold DIRECTV a high volume of HD switchers and color correctors.

DIRECTV's next HD STB, the H20, will use LG's 5th generation chip set for the ATSC decoding.
I was just trying to figure out how many HD DVR boxes can 9 million dollars buy, but you are saying it is for the uplink facility not end users?
post #188 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

yep
post #189 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 07:37 AM

I don't think D* will remove the NY & LA locals from their CONUS MPEG2 slots until one of the last phases of the transition. D* will avoid inconveniencing as many existing subs as possible, for as long as possible. The way to accomplish that is to delay mandatory upgrades (either by removing programming from MPEG2 or adding programming to MPEG4 that's not available via MPEG2) at least until they have the full slate of hardware options available.

HD LIL will be a big motivator for both new and existing subs and so will rolling out the HG with all the bells & whistles. But personally, I'm going to try and holdout as long as possible to the point where D* is more motivated for me to upgrade than I am. That's when I hope to get the best deal possible.
post #190 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 07:38 AM
STL
Advanced Member

I am willing to bet the new HD boxes won't have an OTA ASTC tuner in them. If DirecTV is offering you those same channels (for a fee of course) then why would they go to the expense of putting a OTA tuner in the new box? It's just another thing to consider, but I for one am not keen on spending $ for locals when I can get them (at just as good of quality or better ) free OTA.
post #191 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally posted by STL
I am willing to bet the new HD boxes won't have an OTA ASTC tuner in them. If DirecTV is offering you those same channels (for a fee of course) then why would they go to the expense of putting a OTA tuner in the new box? It's just another thing to consider, but I for one am not keen on spending $ for locals when I can get them (at just as good of quality or better ) free OTA.
Wrong.
The HMC server will have 4 D* tuners and 2 OTA tuners, as already discussed in this thread.

Scott
post #192 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 08:19 AM

OTA tuners will remain in D*'s HD receivers.

...and the majority of subs will still opt for the HD LIL feeds.
post #193 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 08:35 AM
STL
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
Wrong.
The HMC server will have 4 D* tuners and 2 OTA tuners, as already discussed in this thread.
Not so fast. I'm not talking about the purported $1600 HMC, but rather the standalone boxes they are suppose to give us to replace our (MPEG2) HD STBs later this year (for some). I am thinking those "free upgrade" boxes won't have an OTA tuner in them -- just as cable HD STBs don't have OTA ASTC tuners in them. After all, DirecTV is planning on replacing only those legacy HD STBs in areas where they will be offering locals via satellite (using the MPEG4). It would seem that they have no incentive for these "free upgrade" boxes to include an OTA ASTC tuner for two big reasons: 1) cost of the new boxes and 2) because they'd rather you spend more $ to buy locals via the satellite.
post #194 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 08:58 AM

post #195 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

DIRECTV's next HD STB, the H20, will use LG's 5th generation chip set for the ATSC decoding.
post #196 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 09:03 AM
STL
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
Unless you have a quotable source or a link to an official DirecTV press report, that's just a theory -- as is my speculation above.
post #197 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 09:07 AM

OK, good luck with that theory. :rolleyes:
post #198 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I think CPanther95 usually knows what hes talkin about.

Johnny
post #199 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 AM
STL
Advanced Member

Maybe so. Time will tell...
post #200 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STL
Unless you have a quotable source or a link to an official DirecTV press report, that's just a theory -- as is my speculation above.
That's correct. D* next generation receivers won't come with remote either :rolleyes:

I'm willing to bet that and that's my speculation :D
post #201 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 09:36 AM
STL
Advanced Member

Okay wiseguys, just how does including an OTA HD tuner in their next generation STBs it benefit DirecTV? I don't think many would argue that having an ATSC tuner included would increase cost -- which does not benefit DirecTV. Furthermore, is it purely coincidence that the "free upgrade" program (for HD STBs) is tied directly to D* offering locals in one's area?
post #202 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Because D* is smarter than us! :D

Johnny
post #203 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

How does the ATSC tuner benefit them *now*? There will always be channels over OTA that aren't on D* and people want them (especially since subchannel "must carry" looks like it's not gonna happen).

They want people to get everything through one box, and the OTA tuners does that.

What 'free upgrade'? You mean for MPEG-4? They have to upgrade the box or you can't get the HD LILs. Or did you mean something else?

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #204 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 AM
STL
Advanced Member

Leesweet, thanks for the info (instead of a worthless sarcastic remark like others seem so willing to give). I didn't realize subchannels wouldn't be covered under the "must carry" law. That changes things quite a bit...and would probably be enough to drive D* to include an ATSC tuner.

BTW, the "free upgrade" I referred to is the one that will be driven by the upcoming MPEG4 LILs. I realize legacy HD STBs would have to be replaced to get MPEG4 LILs, but if I'm already getting my locals via OTA why should I be worried about being able to pay to get them via the satellite? It's not like MEPG4 LILs will look better than an ASTC signal.
post #205 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay wiseguys, just how does including an OTA HD tuner in their next generation STBs it benefit DirecTV?
How does excluding an OTA HD tuner in their next generation STB would benefit DirecTV ?

Quote:
I don't think many would argue that having an ATSC tuner included would increase cost
By how much ? Enough to cover the cost of churning from pissed-off customers ?
The cost is increased by building a remote as well. Why do you think most cable companies rent their remote ? My speculation, believe it or not, seems more feasible than yours.

Quote:
Furthermore, is it purely coincidence that the "free upgrade" program (for HD STBs) is tied directly to D* offering locals in one's area?
Let's not jump into speculations, unless we are joking :D , until the satellites are actually launched.
post #206 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 10:29 AM
STL
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PDPnNJ
How does excluding an OTA HD tuner in their next generation STB would benefit DirecTV ?
Omitting the tuner would make the new box cheaper and force customers to buy their locals from D* instead of getting them free via OTA.

Quote:
By how much? Enough to cover the cost of churning from pissed-off customers?
The price of adding an ATSC tuner might not look like much, but multiply that by the number of "free" HD STBs D* plans to give away and it quickly becomes a number big enough that any accoutant (looking to trim costs) would notice.

Quote:
The cost is increased by building a remote as well. Why do you think most cable companies rent their remote ? My speculation, believe it or not, seems more feasible than yours.
How many D* customers would settle for having no remote versus they number that would settle for having to pay for their HD locals via satellite? Do you honestly believe the former would be a greater number (and thus more feasible)? Even the well-thought-off CPanther95 says the majority of D* subs would buy HD locals even if the new boxes have OTA tuners (to which I agree) so majority of subs wouldn't miss the OTA tuner. Are you really trying to argue that a greater majority of D* subs wouldn't miss their remotes?

Quote:
Let's not jump into speculations, unless we are joking :D , until the satellites are actually launched.
I was just presenting a theory. I never said it wasn't open to a logical discussion. In light of what leesweet brought to my attention, I now think we'll probably see ATSC tuners in these new boxes.
post #207 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I now think we'll probably see ATSC tuners in these new boxes.
Amen :D
post #208 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How many D* customers would settle for having no remote versus they number that would settle for having to pay for their HD locals via satellite? Do you honestly believe the former would be a greeater number (and thus more feasible)?
The remote would be available for a rental with my speculation :D . Your first posting was about recouping the cost of these 'free' boxes. Believe me, they won't be free. They will get you into another '1 year programming' with the box exchange which looks really good in their Quarter release earnings.

Usually, I ignore these kind of postings but you asked for it. Many pointed out (including one of the moderators) that future receivers will come with OTA tuner but not until now you realized they will. I'll make sure to PM you when the next poster ask the same question :)
post #209 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 10:53 AM

I suspect the "free upgrade" will be tied into a one-year commitment with the additional requirement of having to subscribe to a new & improved HD package which will be bumped upto somewhere around $24.99. This is all purely speculation on my part :) This will allow D* to collect about ($14*12=$168) from existing HD subscribers, and ($25*12=$600) from new subscribers looking to upgrade now that HD is more mainstream.

- Ahsan
post #210 of 3267 Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 AM

Super thread. I have been following with great interest. It seems there are people posting that speak to D*'s future offerings as having factual answers. I am curious are these subscribers posting fact released by D*? Are they D* employees or staff with "insider information"? Or are they speculating on what the future holds and reporting like it was fact? It would be great to know the source if the reports are factual. :D
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page