DirecTV MPEG4 Installation & Hardware - Master Topic! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Directv announced today that MPEG4 will start at the beginning of 2nd half of the 2005 year. The first markets will benefit first then slowly everyone else who will benefit from MPEG4 HD. Directv also announced that current HD custmers who have HD and will have their HD boxes upgraded at Directv's expense in which they will cover the cost for in 2006! Also Local HD is not only on the agenda, National HD channels will be launched as well!!!

This info came from the Live Conference call today at 1pm:

[EDIT:]

From the opening remarks:

Things we expect to allow D* to leapfrog the competition:

Our announced plan to offer later this year a more advanced DVR, and dramatically expand our HD program. We will also introduce a product that we be a transforming product for both our company and the industry. The Home Media Center, or Home Gateway as we may refer to it, is being developed in-house by DirecTV. It will provide whole-house connectivity with all multimedia systems with mobility for devices outside the home. And since we control the design and architecture, I’m confident that over time, the Home Gateway will drive our customer retention costs lower. I say this for a few reasons.

First, since the Home Gateway will provide, HDTV, DVR and other home media services throughout the house, our upgrade or retention costs should be lower. We also expect to save on installation costs when we are able to connect the system wirelessly. We will introduce a revised marketing offer more akin to a lease plan. And finally we are designing the system to be very flexible and easily upgradeable.

From the Q&A period:

We’ll have the upgrade to MPEG 4 at the early part of the second half of the year and we will clearly convert our HD customers which at today’s numbers are about half a million. The people that sign up for the Spaceway services will be timed so that they will be receiving Spaceway capable, or MPEG4 set top boxes. So you would not have a conversion required for those new customers that are signing up for the Spaceway services. What we will have is a set of customers that take HD that will have to be converted to be able to receive the Ka signal, so it will have to be the customers who don’t work on Spaceway that will have to be converted and that will be a potential marketing cost that we’ll have to bear in ’05 or rather early ’06.

..: …and it will be staggered, the first wave will be 12 markets, and then more thereafter. So I think around the same time, if all goes well and our Home Gateway is introduced, the conversion may be part of that, not just going to your house and replacing some equipment. Part of a whole new issue to the home.

Do you expect that you will be going to MPEG 4 for all of your CONUS or national HD programming as well for efficiency reasons….?

Yeah, it will clearly be a transition – there will still be customers well into ’06 that will still be getting HD programming over the Legacy based – we’re only talking about the half million existing customers, all new customers that buy into the Spaceway sats will be getting HD LIL’s and National HD channels over MPEG4. It’s the Legacy customers that will be converted over ’05 & ’06…or converted over time to MPEG4.

1080p and PS3 is a Match made in HD Heaven!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Smthkd
The first markets will benefit first...
This seems perfectly logical.

;)
post #3 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:02 AM

This seems to imply that we buy new boxes at our expense and then see a credit on our bills. Correct?
post #4 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

More details please... or post a link.
post #5 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dan57
This seems to imply that we buy new boxes at our expense and then see a credit on our bills. Correct?
Hmm.. that's not what I read

Quote:
Directv also announced that current HD custmers who have HD and will have their HD boxes upgraded at Directv's expense
post #6 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:05 AM

Hmmmmm
Switch boxes in 2005, then get the expense covered in 2006? That's one way to keep a customer around. Make them wait for a credit ;)
post #7 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I find it hard to believe that they would make you wait for a year. I believe, they will force you to re-up your contract with a new HD Box.
post #8 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
That means that my 3 year old Hughes E-86 will be replaced with a like receiver at DirecTV's expense. Or someone who has an HD- DirecTivo will get it replaced at DirecTV's expense should they want to replace it (obviously probably not with a Tivo model I'd guess).

Scott
post #9 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
What I'm sure they mean by 2006 is they are budgeting money to cover the costs. OR you have until sometime in 2006 to take advantage of the free upgrade deal. Obviously until there is a news article or press release we aren't going to know exactly what was said.

Scott
post #10 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

On the down side! In very few words those with HDTivo's are basically being told suck it up because the came down on the price and HDTivos work well! No report so far whether HDTivos will be fully replaced or upgraded if possible. All in all HDTivo customer are still getting the run around!! Sorry Guys!

BTW! Guy Im listening to this broadcast right now! You can go to D* website click or click here:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....&p=irol-irhome

post #11 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Another thought...

If D* is covering the costs of replacing HD receivers through 2006, what if your market is not part of the initial HD-Local rollout, and what if your market doesn't swicth until 2007? are you S.O.L.?

I will stay tuned for more details....
post #12 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

If your market is not served yet, you WILL NOT get a new MPEG4 box YET! Once your market is added or if newer National HD channels are ADDED on MPEG4, then you will be eligiable for the new box. D* is trying to upgrade us in small phases!

post #13 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

I figured that much... but the addition of National HD channels would be available to ALL HD customers... so that, in effect, would suddenly make us ALL eligible for the upgrade... That does not sound like a small batch upgrade path to me.

But I realize we are discussing this with few details...
post #14 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JayDog_2
I figured that much... but the addition of National HD channels would be available to ALL HD customers... so that, in effect, would suddenly make us ALL eligible for the upgrade... That does not sound like a small batch upgrade path to me.

But I realize we are discussing this with few details...
True, However it was made clear that HD Local will go up first, so I wouldn't bet on seeing alot of HD Nationals on the New MPEG4 sats, but remember, they still have a little room left on current sats for about 3 or 4 HD Nationals so this still push that thought well into 2005 and early 2006!

post #15 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Found link to information about a call but no info about content. It looks like an earnings call. Will start replays after 5:30pm est today through mon.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050121/215537_1.html
post #16 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 11:50 AM

I wonder if D* is announcing this because the E* purchase of the Voom satellite gave them a kick in the pants?

And I wonder if E* will get a similar kick in the pants to announce their future HD plans because of this announcement?
post #17 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by dm145
Found link to information about a call but no info about content. It looks like an earnings call. Will start replays after 5:30pm est today through mon.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050121/215537_1.html
It was their quarterly earning conference but during the question and answer session these issue where covered!

Quote:
Originally posted by Airblair
I wonder if D* is announcing this because the E* purchase of the Voom satellite gave them a kick in the pants?

And I wonder if E* will get a similar kick in the pants to announce their future HD plans because of this announcement?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Funny though, D* seemed more worried about cable companies, especially Comcast, more than they are about E*!

post #18 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This is great news for D* HD subs. If they could ever apply mpeg4 accross everything they could have top notch PQ and a vast amount of HD.
post #19 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

They still haven't answered what they'll do with people in the first markets with an HD-Tivo. I guess we have to wait until 2006 for MPEG-4.
post #20 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:12 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know yet how soon Directv will require MPEG4 boxes to receive additional HD offerings such as Starz HD, Max HD etc. if and when offered by Directv.

Lon
post #21 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:15 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
Does anyone know yet how soon Directv will require MPEG4 boxes to receive additional HD offerings such as Starz HD, Max HD etc. if and when offered by Directv.

Lon
Well, it would mostly depend on what sats they place any new national channels on. If they were placed on the Spaceways you would need a MPEG4 rec. I believe Smith posted earlier that if you are already and hd sub, you will get the upgrade to a MPEG4 rec if your local market is added or new national hd channels are added.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #22 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave99ag
They still haven't answered what they'll do with people in the first markets with an HD-Tivo. I guess we have to wait until 2006 for MPEG-4.
Not to mention those that moved for locals getting boxes installed at their billing address and not the physical address to keep their locals.
post #23 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

If Murdock really had balls here is what I would suggest doing. He can start as a trial in the first 12 markets that have HD locals. Have an add that says if you order total choice plus with one premium channel or more plus NFL Sunday Ticket for a minimum of two years we will give you a free 40" Widescreen HDTV with built-in media server client in each room you want DirecTV service. With a nice national HD lineup and all NFL games in HD via ST that just might give customers such a nice touchy feeling being able to say hey no other company would do this for me and have more HD channels and features than all others. A customer might not ever cancel. Now that indirectly helps Fox because the more sets are sold the better off HD becomes and the more money Fox makes on HD broadcasts.

Now just think it D* had just one TV model say an RCA 40" widescreen model and yes it wouldn't be the best but its free again and just think about how many customers would take that offer. It could be millions of TV sets and making those suckers in volume could reduce the costs quite a bit. Granted D* would have to pay out of their pockets but if and when they offer LIL HD and a very good selection of national HD channels that if a customer all the sudden gets new free HDTV sets plus HD DVR multiroom viewing, HD locals, national HD channels and sports and sports in HDTV they will never feel as taken care of because only DirecTV can give you free HDTV sets and cable can't.

I think they can get a set like this for around 450 at most cost if made in volume so they gamble on this. Hell even if they charge 400 bucks for three rooms of HDTVs and the other stuff most people might go for it because they would be going for those that don't have HD and most if not all of those people won't care about high-end HDTV but no doubt have seen and heard about it and they have seen the ads. Now they say to themselves I've seen those HDTV sets for about one grand and DirecTV offers all these HD channels and they for only 500 bucks total will give me three HDTV sets plus an HD Server to record that HD and allow playback on my other two HDTV sets boy I can't beat that.
post #24 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
Not to mention those that moved for locals getting boxes installed at their billing address and not the physical address to keep their locals.
Why would they care about that? Sounds like your locals are not really your locals.
post #25 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:31 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LonghornXP
If Murdock really had balls here is what I would suggest doing. He can start as a trial in the first 12 markets that have HD locals. Have an add that says if you order total choice plus with one premium channel or more plus NFL Sunday Ticket for a minimum of two years we will give you a free 40" Widescreen HDTV with built-in media server client in each room you want DirecTV service. With a nice national HD lineup and all NFL games in HD via ST that just might give customers such a nice touchy feeling being able to say hey no other company would do this for me and have more HD channels and features than all others. A customer might not ever cancel. Now that indirectly helps Fox because the more sets are sold the better off HD becomes and the more money Fox makes on HD broadcasts.

Now just think it D* had just one TV model say an RCA 40" widescreen model and yes it wouldn't be the best but its free again and just think about how many customers would take that offer. It could be millions of TV sets and making those suckers in volume could reduce the costs quite a bit. Granted D* would have to pay out of their pockets but if and when they offer LIL HD and a very good selection of national HD channels that if a customer all the sudden gets new free HDTV sets plus HD DVR multiroom viewing, HD locals, national HD channels and sports and sports in HDTV they will never feel as taken care of because only DirecTV can give you free HDTV sets and cable can't.

I think they can get a set like this for around 450 at most cost if made in volume so they gamble on this. Hell even if they charge 400 bucks for three rooms of HDTVs and the other stuff most people might go for it because they would be going for those that don't have HD and most if not all of those people won't care about high-end HDTV but no doubt have seen and heard about it and they have seen the ads. Now they say to themselves I've seen those HDTV sets for about one grand and DirecTV offers all these HD channels and they for only 500 bucks total will give me three HDTV sets plus an HD Server to record that HD and allow playback on my other two HDTV sets boy I can't beat that.
Hell, if Murdock had any balls he wouldn't even do this! Too much money and DTV is in this game to make money and they sure aren't making much off of new hd subs b/c those are far and few between as opposed to the SD subs.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #26 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

If I have interpreted the earnings report correctly, then mpeg-4 receivers will be available this July. Other press releases have indicated the HD HMO or MRV receiver will not be available until the END of 2005.

Ergo, there will be a gap of time where certain customers will not be able to record these new channels.

My HD DNS days are kaput!
post #27 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dm145
Why would they care about that? Sounds like your locals are not really your locals.
Its not me but most everybody in my local area had to have a houston (about 80 miles away) locals to get any HD from D*.... It should be interesting to see how D* treats these people because there are quite a few I would think.
post #28 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AFH
Hell, if Murdock had any balls he wouldn't even do this! Too much money and DTV is in this game to make money and they sure aren't making much off of new hd subs b/c those are far and few between as opposed to the SD subs.
AFH, no matter what some around here might be saying, there is still such a thing as "the future." You might want to check it out sometime. :)
post #29 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jambroni
If I have interpreted the earnings report correctly, then mpeg-4 receivers will be available this July. Other press releases have indicated the HD HMO or MRV receiver will not be available until the END of 2005.

Ergo, there will be a gap of time where certain customers will not be able to record these new channels.
This assumes without evidence that they won't also provide the new channels in MPEG2 on a temporary basis to cover that gap. With two Spaceways, they should have enough BW to do that for 12 markets, I would guess?
post #30 of 3267 Old 01-27-2005, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
They convert HD LIL subs, then the HD national subs, then the Total Choice Premier (whatever the top level tier is), then the middle tier, then the lower tier, then the movie channels.

Looks like about a 5 year project to me. :)
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page