OTA STB info - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-06-2004, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I was going through this forum trying to find information about OTA STBs. Simply put, there didn't seem to be a nicely consolidated *current* list of STBs without the unnecessary cost of satellite or encrypted cable support. So here's what I think I was able to figure out.

None of the units appear to have/support an RF remote. They were all straight IR that I could see.

Several threads in the forum seemed to conclude the LGE boxes are the hands-down favorite, so I myself have decided on the LST-4200A.

LG Electronics
Highly regarded, common features of the LST-3xxx/LST-4xxx include ATSC+QAM, RF input & RF output, component+DVI+HD15 HD video out, optical+coax digi audio out, signal strength meter button on the remote

LST-4200A - replaces LST-3100A (which used to be the Zenith HDV420?), adds NTSC tuning for analog broadcasts/cable.

LST-3410A - like the LST-3100A but adds PVR capability (not TiVo), has dual analog video inputs for upscaling (no component inputs), looses the coax digi audio out, has two 1394 ports which only support point-to-point connectivity.

LST-3510A - like the LST-3100A but adds an upscaling DVD player (which others have rated as "average", and not worth it if you don't use the DVI upscaling output, new units have the firmware "fix" which disables the upscaled output on the component out), does allow hooking an hdtv tuner and dvd player to a single DVI input on a TV or projector.

Macro Image Technology
MIT, not Mits, so not Mitsubishi; only source I know of is www.digitalconnection.com, as referenced earlier in this thread.

MDR-200 - ATSC+NTSC, dual RF inputs, component+HD15+1394 HD video out (no DVI), optical+coax digi audio out, four analog inputs for upconverting with two being component but they only support 480i signal input.

MDR-200L - low end version, used to be called the MDR-100, single RF input, no inputs for upconverting, no 1394 out, no optical digi audio out.

Motorola

HDT101 - replaces HDT100, ATSC only, single RF in, component HD video out, coax digi audio out, fixes some problems with the HDT100 apparently.

RCA

ATSC21 - replaces ATSC11 (?), ATSC+NTSC+QAM, dual RF inputs, component+DVI HD video out, optical+coax digi audio out.

Samsung
The Samsung units seem generally smashed on for a very poor and slow user interface. Just the sentiment I see from reading the threads.

SIR-T451 - replaces SIR-T351, ATSC+QAM (doesn't do NTSC?), single RF in, component+DVI HD video out, optical+coax digi audio out.

Sylvania

6900DTD - replaces SRZ3000, ATSC+NTSC, single RF in, component HD video out, coax digi audio out.

US Digital

DB-2010 - ATSC only, single RF in, component HD video out, optical digi audio out, only sold at Wal-mart?

V Inc

Bravo HD1 - ATSC only, single RF in, component HD video out, coax digi audio out, analog input for upscaling.

Viewsonic

NextVision HD10 - ATSC+NTSC, single RF in, component HD video out, coax digi audio out, analog input for upscaling.

NextVision HD12 - ATSC+NTSC, single RF in, component+DVI+HD15 HD video out, optical+coax digi audio out, dual analog inputs for upscaling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

SMac, I did some searching and can't seem to find where one would be able to buy the LST-4200A. Do you know if there is a chain like Circuit City that carries it? I searched both Circuit City and Best Buy...nothing.

"Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps." - Emo Phillips
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2005, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tom.green@iwon.com
SMac, I did some searching and can't seem to find where one would be able to buy the LST-4200A. Do you know if there is a chain like Circuit City that carries it? I searched both Circuit City and Best Buy...nothing.
I bought mine online from Value Electronics, a self-proclaimed authorized dealer (can't validate the claim on LG's website, would have to ask, I didn't care, because there is zero local source around here). You have to call in the order it seems these days. I'd go that route. Can't tell from the web site if they are in stock. Cousin's Video was the other online source I was looking at, an unauthorized reseller for a little less than Value Electronics. They state in-stock on their website. For $20, I'd prefer a valid warranty.

www.*********************
www.cousinsvideo.com

When I was looking, not a single AVS sponser carried the best OTA STB on the market. Go figure.

LG doesn't sell the 4200 in the chain stores from what I can tell. Only authorized dealer in the ATL area is a one-shop store where the guy on the phone, when I bought mine, didn't even know there was a LST-4200A (was still pimping the 3100A). So much for an authorized dealer network.

Circity City, Best Buy, Fry's, Tweeter/HiFiBuys, hhgregg (spelling?), etc; carried by none of the above.

Order it from Value and be done with it.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2005, 09:32 PM

The OTA reception with the Sony SAT HD-300 is poor.
The OTA reception with the HD Tivo and the RCA DTC-210 is very good.
The OTA reception with the DST-3000 was worse than the HD Tivo, but better than the Sony SAT-HD300.

-Dave
post #5 of 11 Old 02-12-2005, 04:48 AM

I have to disagree with the Sony Sathd-300 having "poor" OTA reception. I live in Orlando and get "superior" reception on all OTA channels, in fact better than my HD-TIVO. Just my opinion..

I want my HDTV on NFL Direct Ticket ..and ESPN-HD2 !! Are you listening Direct TV???..would also like NESN HD..:-)
post #6 of 11 Old 02-12-2005, 07:39 AM

The SAT-HD300 (Nov 2003) is the only receiver that won't pull in WLVI-DT from my location. It is a station running at low-power. My Mits 52725 TV (Oct 2004), HD TiVo (31 Aug 2004), RCA DTC-210 (Sep 2004) can all pull in the signal. Even my DST-3000 (replaced by RCA) could pull in the signal while it was failing to pull in some transponders. The dates are manufacturing dates.

-Dave
post #7 of 11 Old 02-12-2005, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by SMac770
Well, I was going through this forum trying to find information about OTA STBs. Simply put, there didn't seem to be a nicely consolidated *current* list of STBs without the unnecessary cost of satellite or encrypted cable support.
Yes, due to the time involved I've been behind keeping the AVS HDTV STB Synopsis up to date.

But, with the help in this topic and other AVS members, in particular oryan_dunn, it is now back up to date.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=179095

Topic split and re-titled.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8 of 11 Old 02-13-2005, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE The Samsung units seem generally smashed on for a very poor and slow user interface. Just the sentiment I see from reading the threads.[/quote]

In a world where everyone wants Speed ! I can wait for the Channel to change, I just take an extra sip of Coffee, and it's there !! Once it's on the Channel I want to watch, that's all I care about.

Guess that's why I bought it (SIR-T351) ? :cool:
post #9 of 11 Old 02-13-2005, 06:01 AM

Didn't your doctor tell you to cut down the caffeine? Buy a LG LST-4200A and be healthy.

-Robert
Quote:
Originally posted by DougRuss
[QUOTE The Samsung units seem generally smashed on for a very poor and slow user interface. Just the sentiment I see from reading the threads.

In a world where everyone wants Speed ! I can wait for the Channel to change, I just take an extra sip of Coffee, and it's there !! Once it's on the Channel I want to watch, that's all I care about.

Guess that's why I bought it (SIR-T351) ? :cool:
[/quote]
post #10 of 11 Old 02-13-2005, 09:44 AM

Liked: 11
I don't understand many of the reviews. To make a value judgement, you have to have multiple sets. I had both the LG LST-3510A and the Samsung SIR-T151 and both picked up the same channels (and I live 60 miles away from most transmitters) and both seemed just a slow or fast in changing channels. I got rid of the LG because it was buggy and would lock up with discrete remote codes from my home theater remote, would not play all burned DVDs and would lose channels. Personally, I would not buy LG again for an STB or DVD player and can certainly understand why most B&M stores don't carry their STBs.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-13-2005, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1. That summary was four months ago.
2. OTA/clear-QAM only STBs. If it's got a encrypted digital cable or digital satellite tuner, then it's irrelevant to me.
3. Never said anything about channel changing speed.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page