CC Closed Caption problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 122 Old 02-22-2005, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For some reason I only receive closed caption on High Definition stations. If I bypass the cable box, I get the close caption just fine. I do have the new Motorola 6214 DVR unit. My other TV uses the Motorola 5100 and that box used to be able to show Closed Caption until recently when the new software was uploaded to it by Comcast and now I get no closed caption.

When I called Comcast, the first person told me that this is a function of the TV (my HD monitor has no tuner) but I insisted that that is not the case. I called back few minutes later and spoke to another person that assured me that there is a caption available on all channels including the analog channels. A technician was sent who did nothing and he had no clue and said that this is the way it is.

As a hearing impaired, I do not know where to turn or what to do. I could just downgrade to basic service with out the cable box on one of my TV sets but my expensive plasma monitor would then be useless to me.

I guess that the reason I am posting this is to find out if anyone else have this problem because if everyone does then there is no point in me calling the Comcast over and over.

So if anyone with the latest software in their Motorola 6214 or 5100 uses the CC and is not getting it as of late on ANY of the non-HD stations, would you please let me know.

Not all the stations broadcast in CC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 04-24-2006, 06:07 PM

You should receive CC on all channels if availavle, HD or not. I too have the 6412 with Comcast and get CC through it on SD and HD channels. However, CC ONLY works if you are using an RF or RCA to the TV. It does not work if you are using HDMI or Component connection. This apparently is a function of the Plasma screen, and not Comcast. Its something im looking for answers to as well, because quality in HDMI is much better. If you use RCA's you should be fine though.
post #3 of 122 Old 04-25-2006, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
As I am sure you know, on analog, CC is sent on line 21 of the picture and is recovered within the TV. With HD, the CC is sent as a separate packet and it has to be inserted by the HD encoder and then decoded by either the STB or the TV. If your TV has no tuner, then the STB has to be able to decode CC, that is the law. Sounds like Comcast has hosed something out in your box.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #4 of 122 Old 04-26-2006, 09:05 AM

I had a similar issue and the way I fixed it on my Comcast 6412 is I turned the unit off and hit the Menu Button. I could then setup the CC directly in the DVR and it pumped the CC info over the HDMI cable along with the Video Signal in High Def. Now there was a bug that caused the CC info to be garbled on the DVR and my Cable Card TV could Decode it fine but thats another topic.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by atin90 View Post

For some reason I only receive closed caption on High Definition stations. If I bypass the cable box, I get the close caption just fine. I do have the new Motorola 6214 DVR unit. My other TV uses the Motorola 5100 and that box used to be able to show Closed Caption until recently when the new software was uploaded to it by Comcast and now I get no closed caption.

So if anyone with the latest software in their Motorola 6214 or 5100 uses the CC and is not getting it as of late on ANY of the non-HD stations, would you please let me know.

Not all the stations broadcast in CC.

post #5 of 122 Old 04-27-2006, 01:31 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Usually you can go into the cable box menu and find something that activates cc.
post #6 of 122 Old 06-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmont24 View Post

I had a similar issue and the way I fixed it on my Comcast 6412 is I turned the unit off and hit the Menu Button. I could then setup the CC directly in the DVR and it pumped the CC info over the HDMI cable along with the Video Signal in High Def. Now there was a bug that caused the CC info to be garbled on the DVR and my Cable Card TV could Decode it fine but thats another topic.

Jason

Thanks for this tip Jason. I had the same problem and searched every available option in the setup screens but surprisingly it doesn't have a way to turn the CC on and off. It sucks that it must be done on the front panel of the DVR because my wife likes the captions but I don't so we turn them on and off quite a bit. Anyway, thanks for the help.
post #7 of 122 Old 09-21-2006, 09:41 AM

Newbie here in Denver - Sept. 06 have same CC problem - - can see captions on HD channels, but not on SD. Comcast tech here yesterday, stumped, left saying he'd check on it. Have Motorola 6412 box. Not sure of my cables to our Panasonic HD monitor only.

Any solutions identified? Have complained to Comcast to no avail.
Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dneon95 View Post

You should receive CC on all channels if availavle, HD or not. I too have the 6412 with Comcast and get CC through it on SD and HD channels. However, CC ONLY works if you are using an RF or RCA to the TV. It does not work if you are using HDMI or Component connection. This apparently is a function of the Plasma screen, and not Comcast. Its something im looking for answers to as well, because quality in HDMI is much better. If you use RCA's you should be fine though.

post #8 of 122 Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnJden View Post

Newbie here in Denver - Sept. 06 have same CC problem - - can see captions on HD channels, but not on SD. Comcast tech here yesterday, stumped, left saying he'd check on it. Have Motorola 6412 box. Not sure of my cables to our Panasonic HD monitor only.

Any solutions identified? Have complained to Comcast to no avail.
Thanks in advance

I have a Series 2 Motorola 6412 HD-DVR; connected with component cables. Go to the setup menu (press menu button on remote with power off) and change the 4:3 SD setting to either off or 480p. For some reason, I don't get captions for the SD channels when it is set to 480i. Weird, but this can probably be chalked up to buggy firmware in the Motorola box. But I am not clear on what off, 480i, or 480p really means for the analog and digital SD channels.
post #9 of 122 Old 09-21-2006, 01:46 PM

Wow - that fixed it. Just switched the 6412 HD-DVR box MENU 4:3 Override setting to "OFF" and now CC works on the SD channels. Have notified Comcast that they owe "afiggatt" at least 1000 On-Demand free movie passes.... Thanks a bunch.

With the 4:3 setting at "OFF", I can't zoom, full, or justify my Panasonic monitor's picture. With it set to "480p" I still get CC and can zoom, full, etc. the picture OK.

Roger
post #10 of 122 Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnJden View Post

Have notified Comcast that they owe "afiggatt" at least 1000 On-Demand free movie passes.... Thanks a bunch.

With the 4:3 setting at "OFF", I can't zoom, full, or justify my Panasonic monitor's picture. With it set to "480p" I still get CC and can zoom, full, etc. the picture OK.

Glad that I could be of help. Tell Comcast I want them to hurry up and add more HD channels to the Adelphia franchises that they took over back on August 1.

It has been a while since I tried out all the 4:3 override settings and I can't find the manuals for the 6412 (which I as recall was barely useful). I think the 4:3 override "off" setting results in a upconverted HD output for the SD channels and the Panny does not zoom for HD signals. So 480p is the best compromise for the Motorola output if you want CCs. The best that can be said for the Motorola 6412s is that they work, but they have a lot of quirks and bugs.
post #11 of 122 Old 09-22-2006, 09:16 PM

The members of this forum helped me get my closed captioning working with the Motorola cable box and HDTV LCD set.

BUT, now I have a very irritating problem that I didn't have before with SD. It doesn't happen all of the time, but I'd say it happens at least 40% of the time, which is unacceptably high.

What happens, very simply, is that the captions are WAY out of synch with the speech, usually much faster, sometimes much slower. I do not have this problem AT ALL with my "old" analog TV connected directly to the cable without any box; it is only when I use my fancy LCD HDTV which connects through a Motorola cable box to the actual cable that I experience this problem.

Interestingly enough, when I switch my TV input from "component" ( component cables from box ) to cable ( coaxial from box ), the picture becomes worse, but the captions do not have the annoying delays. Also, this turns off the digital captioning and reverts to analog captions.

What in the blazes is up with this annoying delay/jump ahead of the captions?
post #12 of 122 Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

Thanks for this tip Jason. I had the same problem and searched every available option in the setup screens but surprisingly it doesn't have a way to turn the CC on and off. It sucks that it must be done on the front panel of the DVR because my wife likes the captions but I don't so we turn them on and off quite a bit. Anyway, thanks for the help.

The problem is that the firmware people have apparently decided that peolle will either want the captions always on or always off.

Wha tis going on as far as I can tell is that you are not sending "CC" (closed captions), but OPEN captions once you set the set top box to captions on. IE the set top box is decoding the captions and inserting them as part of the picture. thereby the tv/display cannot turn them off. Newer dispalys if accepting cc (vs open captions) will only activate on mute!

This is annoying as heck to me since I like to watch late at night and have just a tiny bit of hearing loss. I like to have the volume low but not off late at night. for me in the day, my wife and kids don't need he captions when they watch. By using the open captions on the set top via the front panel menu, it is really pain to just turn them on or off.

So I don't have an answer but keep in mind the set top boxes controls change to "open" captions and your tv then cant turn them off.

Again I think the designers were thinking sound would be off always (like in a noisy or public place) or completely deaf person, and not anything else.

AS others have noted this was not the case with analog sets.
post #13 of 122 Old 01-13-2007, 03:11 AM

I am also dealing with out-of-sync, truncated and incomplete "open captions" in HD. I have a Motorola 6214-III dual tuner cable box from Insight Communications. A techie at Motorola denied there were any known issues regarding captioning but when I went down to Insight and whined & yelled their tech supervisor claimed to have gotten on the line with Motorola who then admitted it was an unresolved problem with their unit.

Someone at Insight suggested I try using a cable card for my HD source (My Mitsubishi LCD has a card slot) in conjunction with a cable box to get program guides and "on demand" service.

BTW, caption problems do not occur on all channels but it does not seem to be a function of the original signal: HBO movies and series play fine from the "On Demand" (99) channel but not on its regular (700 numbered) or HD (900 numbered) channels.

The local Insight people claim I am the only one who has raised this issue with them. Is there anyone else out there from the Cincinnati/NKY area who uses Insight?
post #14 of 122 Old 01-13-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:

For some reason I only receive closed caption on High Definition stations.

I just recently figured this out for myself. I have a Motorola DCT3416 (identical for closed captioning purposes to your DCT6412), connected to a Samsung HL-S5087W via both HDMI and component video cables. While I would always get CC via HDMI, I would only get closed captions via component video cables when watching HD channels. I had the DCT3416 configured with 4:3 OVERRIDE set to 480I. Changing this to OFF seems to have made the difference -- I now am receiving closed captions via component video on SD channels.

Quote:

My other TV uses the Motorola 5100 and that box used to be able to show Closed Caption until recently when the new software was uploaded to it by Comcast and now I get no closed caption.

It is very possible than when new software was loaded into the box, the closed captioning configuration in the Set-up was changed.

Quote:

When I called Comcast, the first person told me that this is a function of the TV (my HD monitor has no tuner) but I insisted that that is not the case. I called back few minutes later and spoke to another person that assured me that there is a caption available on all channels including the analog channels. A technician was sent who did nothing and he had no clue and said that this is the way it is.

Very few customers need closed captions, so unfortunately, the staff get inadequate training on it. That's why we're here in this forum, to bridge the gap from what the standard service is to address the special needs that each of us may have. (I remember having the delight of showing the folks in the Comcast office that their cable box there actually did support closed captioning -- they had no idea.)
post #15 of 122 Old 01-13-2007, 08:22 PM

I have found this web site very helpful. It has a lot of information about the CC options

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Categor...a_Motorola_DVR

AV Receiver: Yamaha HTR - 6090
HD Cable Box: Motorola DTC-3416
DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS75H
HDTV: Sharp Aquos LC52D62U

Wayne
post #16 of 122 Old 01-22-2007, 07:17 PM

The manual for my new Panasonic TH42PX6U says that closed captions will not work with HDMI. I found that hard to believe but after reading these posts I am starting to worry. I am getting a DVR that I planned to use with HDMI and was also planning to get an Oppo DVD player. They have HDMI but no component outputs.

Is anyone with a Panasonic HDTV getting CC over HDMI? If so, what are the source and model of TV?
post #17 of 122 Old 01-22-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI only carries the generated digital picture (and audio). With a HDMI connection, the closed captions are generated by the set top box and the DVD player. The set top box and DVR are straightforward - you turn on captions in the set up menu. If you get a Motorola DVR, you have to turn the box off to access the setup menu for the signal output and the captions. The DVD player is a different matter. You can display subtitles, but some player support CC through the HDMI and some do not.
post #18 of 122 Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 AM

My DVD player doesn't even support CC through component video, as far as I can tell.
post #19 of 122 Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 AM

I have the new Oppo 1080p DVD player with a Mitsubishi HDTV. DVDs that have subtitles encoded on them will play fine over the HDMI connection. You can turn on subtitles via a button on the Oppo remote without having to wade through DVD menus. As far as I know, there are no DVD/HDTV combinations that provide "closed caption" as opposed to "subtitles" via the HDMI connector. But my DVDs look GREAT played on my Oppo.
post #20 of 122 Old 01-28-2007, 06:07 AM

That's one thing I don't understand about my new DVD player. There is no way to turn on Closed Captions in it.
post #21 of 122 Old 02-10-2007, 11:23 AM

I need CC due to hearing loss. I just ordered a Mitsubishi LCD TV. It provides both analog and digital CC service "except at the component and HDMI inputs".

I intend to upgrade my Dish System to a 622 which privides the CC service. Am I in error on this? I thought that the CC is combined with the HD signal at the set top box. I would have the problem as well with my DVD player.

tnx
post #22 of 122 Old 02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas60 View Post

I need CC due to hearing loss. I just ordered a Mitsubishi LCD TV. It provides both analog and digital CC service "except at the component and HDMI inputs".

I intend to upgrade my Dish System to a 622 which privides the CC service. Am I in error on this? I thought that the CC is combined with the HD signal at the set top box. I would have the problem as well with my DVD player.

The captions are generated by the set top box for digital channels. You should have a caption option in the set up menu for the STB regardless of the model.

As for the DVD player, that is more complicated. The DVD player should display sub-titles, but CC for an upconverting DVD player through the HDMI is not something that all DVD players do. Look for info in the DVD player forum or even contact the manufacturer of the DVD player and hope you find a CSR who has a clue on the subject.
post #23 of 122 Old 02-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Appreciate the message back. The 622 stb for the Dish system does have the captioning option. The question is in regards to the 46231. The manual states that the "TV cannot decode closed captions received on component or HDMI inputs".

Will the stb combine the CC with the HD signal and there is no requirement for any decoding by the TV itself?

tnx again
post #24 of 122 Old 02-10-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas60 View Post

Appreciate the message back. The 622 stb for the Dish system does have the captioning option. The question is in regards to the 46231. The manual states that the "TV cannot decode closed captions received on component or HDMI inputs".

Will the stb combine the CC with the HD signal and there is no requirement for any decoding by the TV itself?

Yes. The closed captions are part of the digital data stream and have to be decoded and generated by the receiver/decoder which for Dish is the STB. If you use an internal ATSC tuner in the HD TV for over the air reception of your local digital broadcast stations, then you will turn on CC in the digital tuner set up menu, because the internal tuner is doing the decoding and generating the picture.

For background, do a wikipedia or google search for EIA-708 caption format. This replaces the older EIA-608 format where the caption data was/is embedded in the digital video data in a matter comparable to analog.
post #25 of 122 Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

Yes. The closed captions are part of the digital data stream and have to be decoded and generated by the receiver/decoder which for Dish is the STB. If you use an internal ATSC tuner in the HD TV for over the air reception of your local digital broadcast stations, then you will turn on CC in the digital tuner set up menu, because the internal tuner is doing the decoding and generating the picture.

For background, do a wikipedia or google search for EIA-708 caption format. This replaces the older EIA-608 format where the caption data was/is embedded in the digital video data in a matter comparable to analog.

So whatever is sent from the stb will be on the screen of the HDTV, including the captioning. The Signal is complete with the CC. The TV has nothing to do with having to overlay the CC to the picture.

Appreciate it.
post #26 of 122 Old 02-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Actually, at that point, they're not closed captions anymore -- they're open captions.
post #27 of 122 Old 02-18-2007, 12:33 PM

Have Spectroniq 37" TV, widescreen. Have Comcast, Model 5100. Closed captioning will not work when I am using On Demand for certain stations, i.e. Starz & Showtime. HBO works fine.

Sometimes also captioning starts out visible but disappears in about 30 seconds. Also othertimes it is cut off on the top of the screen. This can happen with most any channel at any time, not just On Demand.

We also have a Sony TV that works fine, no problems with CC which is also connected to Comcast, Model 5100.

We do not understand what the problem is. Comcast is of no help.
post #28 of 122 Old 02-18-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Actually, at that point, they're not closed captions anymore -- they're open captions.

Beat me to it...

Over here we have a couple of different "subtitling" standards.

1. World Systems Teletext in VBI (similar to the analogue closed caption system). These are mainly used on analogue OTA, and are assigned a page number (in the UK usually p888) to select, as Teletext carries other info, like TV listings, news stories, financial news, recipes, airport arrivals etc. These are almost universally closed captions, with the TV optionally decoding / displaying them.

2. World Systems Teletext via packet. These are the same as the above, but carried via packets in an MPEG2 transport stream. They can either be inserted as open captions burned into the video output from a receiver, or transcoded to the VBI for decoding and display by a TV (see 1.), along with other WST services.

3. DVB subtitles. These are bitmap graphics (like DVD subtitles?) rather than character graphics (WST is a 1970s 40x25 or 20x25 character graphcs based system), and are also sent as packet data. They are almost universally burnt in by an external set top box, turning them into open subtitles, or decoded internally in an IDTV.

Almost every set top box or TV either has a "Subtitles" button or menu option to quickly switch them on or off.
post #29 of 122 Old 02-18-2007, 02:15 PM

Hi
Thanks for your reply, but don't understand what to do. Have tried all the sub menus in the tv setup and the cable setup, and the problem still exists. Some channels work fine all the time and some start out working fine then captioning disappears. My cable company has sent two techs and they could not correct the problem. They have changed the set top cable box twice, still no help. I am at a loss.
Thanks
post #30 of 122 Old 02-19-2007, 05:11 AM

Signal problems can also be traced back to bad cable... changing the box won't help in such cases.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page