post #572 of 870 Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

All the new Comcast boxes such as the ones in the DCX series have the RJ45 jack - I don't know why.

From my reading of the manual it appears the HD DTA boxes have a lot more features then the standard DTA boxes. It appears it will have an on screen guide and although not specifically stated it appears it can handle advanced encryption since the manual states it can receive all the HD channels except for on-demand. I may be wrong in this assumption but that is my impression.

Although not on the DTA boxes I've seen specs on, the usual HD-DVR (e.g. DCX series)
use the Ethernet I/F for (optional) MoCA Whole Home Networking so that remote
DVR/STB's can view what's on the DVR. Ethernet connects direct to Router or via
E-N I/F Extender and maybe (unlikely) a compatible W/L Dongle to a W/L Router:
http://www.motorola.com/Video-Soluti.../DCX3400_US-EN

Although not specifically listed in the above spec, the Ethernet I/F could (optionally)
also be used for recording to compatible PCs and other recording devices, replacing
(or supplementing) the federally mandated IEEE-1394 Firewire I/F.
However, this is probably a potential "future upgrade".....they're probably still sorting
out the knarly encryption & copy control issues.....while they drag their feet.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #573 of 870 Old 01-07-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Comcast's Skype on TV accessory hits the FCC, brings video chat to the big screen

Comcast has been talking about integrating Skype with their Xfinity service for about half a year now, and recently the company's appropriately named Skype on TV accessory made an appearance on the FCC. The device consists of a camera and microphone accessory that attaches to the top of a TV, pictured above, and a small adapter box, see gallery below, which manages connections between Xfinity's set top box and the camera array. The system also comes with a QWERTY remote that should make typing Skype messages pretty painless.

User manuals for Skype for TV show a 10-foot style interface that does a good job of bringing Skype's interface to a TV screen. You can make audio or video calls, as well as send instant messages. Most Skype features, such as setting availability and viewing contacts are available on Skype for TV. One thing that appears to be missing is file transfers - although I'm not really sure how that would work anyway.

One interesting feature of Skype on TV is the ability to overlay video chat over TV, or display video chats in a small picture-in-picture style display. Users can toggle back and forth between their video chat and TV, which, while somewhat rude, seems very convenient.

http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2012...he-big-screen/
post #574 of 870 Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I returned the Motorola DCT6200 HD box and got the new slim box hoping that the channel change would be faster. But it is in fact slower. Music Choice is much worse. At least with the DCT6200, the Music Choice channel would change audio instantaneously while the still image would take a couple of secs. It didnnt bother me as I could just change the channel if I didnt like the song. With the new box, when ever I change the channel, the screen blanks out and the new channel (audio and video) comes after some 2-3 secs. It is worse for music choice.

I read online that it could be due to HDCP handshake delay. After all these years we still have the HDCP handshake issue? So I used a component cable and set the output resolution on the HD box to 480p (well my projector is only 480p). Absolutely no difference. Same delay. No difference with 480i either.

So I dont think it is the HDCP handshake issue. It is just the cheap box made offshore. They also got rid of the channel number display on the front panel, may be to cut cost?

Anyone noticed this delay between channel change? I have to swap the new box with the old Motorola DCT6200.

I also noticed that in the HD box menu, you cant scroll up and down. If you go to one entry and change something, you have to turn off the box, turn on and then turn off again and hit MENU to go to the HD box menu again. Why change something like the DCT6200 when it was working fine. Sure it was bigger and there was some delay in changing channels but not as bad it is now.

I hope they are still issuing the old DCT6200 box.
post #575 of 870 Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What box do you currently have? I have the DCX3200 and going between music channels is without any delay. Sometimes it is a function of the TV switching resolutions. Go into the hidden menu by pressing power off and then menu on the remote so you can select the resolution.
post #576 of 870 Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Comcast Starts to Kiss Analog TV Goodbye

In its effort to reclaim analog spectrum, Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) has gotten down to its most basic video service tier.

It's possibly the last phase of Project Cavalry, where Comcast is distributing Digital Terminal Adapter (DTA) devices to shift channels to digital format, freeing up valuable analog capacity. The initial phase converted 35 to 40 channels, and now Comcast is working on the rest -- those in its most basic "B1" packages (an average of about 20 channels, depending on the system).

A Comcast spokeswoman estimates that this phase -- which is underway in Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Houston, Chicago, Boston and other markets -- is 22 percent complete. It started in March 2010 with Augusta, Ga., which coincidentally is the technical trial site for Xcalibur, a nimble video platform that will rely heavily on the cloud.

Customers with older analog TVs will be forced to use set-top boxes to get B1 channels. While some customers will certainly howl about that, Comcast is trying to appease them by offering three free DTAs. (Comcast offers two DTAs and one interactive, VoD-capable set-top for free to customers who subscribe to B2, the advanced basic tier).

All this reclaimed spectrum is going toward more digital services. The MSO, for example, is increasing its HD lineup to about 120 channels from about 100 in B1 migration markets, while reserving capacity for other future services such as Xcalibur.

Comcast is migrating B1 to digital just as the U.S. cable industry is urging the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to let MSOs encrypt their basic tier once they've gone all-digital. Cablevision Systems Corp. (NYSE: CVC) obtained a special waiver from the FCC about a year ago to do so, meaning that customers who use digital TVs with embedded QAM tuners to receive basic channels "in the clear" are now required to use set-tops or TVs that can support the CableCARD, or boxes that support the MSO's new downloadable security system.

DTAs don't use CableCARDs, but the models Comcast deploys are capable of activating a content protection scheme called "privacy mode.

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=216104
post #577 of 870 Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Customers with older analog TVs will be forced to use set-top boxes to get B1 channels. While some customers will certainly howl about that, Comcast is trying to appease them by offering three free DTAs. (Comcast offers two DTAs and one interactive, VoD-capable set-top for free to customers who subscribe to B2, the advanced basic tier).

When my local Comcast cut back the analog service, so I couldn't get TCM on my DVDR any more, I called them, and they said I could get the one free STB. I have Digital Preferred. But, when I went to the office to pick up the box, I was told I would be charged monthly. I took it anyway, and was charged monthly. Eventually, I turned it in and got a HD DVR instead. So, at least in my case, they lied.
post #578 of 870 Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here in Portland they gave me 3 free boxes, two basic DTA boxes and the slightly more advanced one that could do on demand, no extra monthly charge or anything. The boxes still suck but at least they were free but only do SD and have almost nothing for extra outputs.
They finally offered me a good enough deal to go HD preferred with phone and internet for less then I was paying before for crappy non HD cable and phone form quest. They gave me a good Motorola HD box with every output known to man for free with no monthly rental either but they charge 5 extra a month for the modem/phone combo box. We can't outright buy those combo boxes yet here in Portland or I would. You might want to call customer service or hit their chat and complain about being over charged, most times they'll offer a promo deal and drop your monthly payments for a while or maybe drop the rental on boxes or something.
I have done it before on chat and the phone and they dropped my bill by over 50 bucks for a while, need to do it again soon.
post #579 of 870 Old 01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Liked: 10
CES: Comcast To Speed Up Tru2way Set-Tops With Myriad's Java Software
Swiss Software Developer to Integrate JVM Into MSO's Device Reference Design Kit

By Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 1/9/2012 7:40:17 PM

Las Vegas Comcast is adding more oomph to its tru2way set-top software platform for Xfinity TV, announcing plans to use Java-based software from Switzerland's Myriad Group AG in its next-generation tru2way, IP and hybrid set-tops and other devices.

Under the deal, Myriad will integrate its CDCA Java Virtual Machine into the Comcast Device Software Reference Design Kit. That, according to the companies, will deliver a consistent operating environment and improved application performance, as well as speed up the time for manufacturers to deliver.

Comcast's Device Software Reference Design Kit (RDK) includes the CableLabs OpenCable Application Platform (OCAP) reference implementation software, along with other open-source components. The MSO officially announced its strategy move to tru2way-based set-tops in mid-2010, picking NDS as the systems integrator on the project.

"Myriad's Java Virtual Machine will provide a key element in our device software RDK, providing a consistent and high-performance virtual machine to power this platform," Comcast senior vice president of customer premises equipment Steve Reynolds said in a statement. "We are confident that this JVM will provide the performance and speed necessary to deliver the latest innovative services and applications we're bringing our customers."

Myriad, based in Zurich, Switzerland, says its software is used by more than 2.5 billion mobile subscribers worldwide. Myriad's Java solutions are designed to power applications on mobile handsets, set-tops, Blu-Ray Disc players, tablets, home gateways and other devices.

"As leaders in our respective markets, we believe this will be a great collaboration," Myriad CEO Simon Wilkinson commented. "This new opportunity further expands our OCAP set-top market share and demonstrates Myriad's leadership and commitment to the North American cable TV service provider market."

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...a_Software.php

Links:

post #580 of 870 Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CES: NBC To Deliver 2012 Olympics In 3D With Panasonic
First Time Summer Games Will Be Available in Stereoscopic Format
By Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, January 10, 2012

Las Vegas —

Looking to light the 3DTV flame, NBC Sports Group and Panasonic are teaming up to make the London 2012 Olympic Games available in 3D to all U.S. distributors who carry Olympic coverage, which will be the first time 3DTV owners will be able to watch the games in the format.

The companies did not announce which pay-TV providers intend to carry the Olympic coverage in 3D, but presumably Comcast -- which owns NBCUniversal -- will be in the mix, along with DirecTV, which has aimed to be the leading provider of 3DTV in the U.S.

Cable, satellite and telco providers who receive the Olympics package may distribute the 3D broadcast via the Comcast Media Center.

"NBC has a history of utilizing technological innovations to distribute the Olympics in new ways for viewers," NBC Olympics president Gary Zenkel said in a statement. "We are proud to continue that tradition by partnering with Panasonic and Olympic Broadcasting Services to distribute the first 3D broadcast of the Games in the U.S. in partnership with our multichannel video programming distributors."

Panasonic is the exclusive Flat-Panel HDTV and Blu-ray Disc Player advertiser for NBC's coverage of the 2012 Summer Olympic Games. Last year, Panasonic announced it would partner with the International Olympic Committee and Olympic Broadcasting Services to make the London 2012 Olympic Games the first ever 3D Olympic Games.

The more than 200 hours of 3D telecasts, to be produced by OBS and shown on next-day delay in the U.S., will span multiple competitions throughout the games, including the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, gymnastics, diving and swimming. OBS will produce the 3D coverage using Panasonic's 3D production technologies.

Comcast created the NBC Sports Group when the NBCUniversal transaction was completed in January 2011. The company consists of an array of broadcast television, cable television and digital sports assets, including NBC Sports & Olympics, Golf Channel, NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus), 11 regional sports networks and their respective websites.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/..._Panasonic.php
post #581 of 870 Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast Tests Live TV On Tablets With 'AnyPlay' Box In Denver, Nashville

MSO Using Motorola Device That Transcodes Cable TV for Multiscreen Delivery

By Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 1/10/2012 2:42:16 PM

Away from the multiscreen hype at CES, Comcast announced that it is conducting a trial of its AnyPlay device developed by Motorola -- which transcodes live TV content for wireless delivery to tablets and other displays -- in Denver and Nashville, Tenn.

The AnyPlay device is currently available to Xfinity HD triple-play customers in areas of Denver and Nashville at no additional charge. "If you don't live in Nashville or Denver, don't worry, as we plan to add more markets in the coming months," Mark Hess, Comcast's senior vice president of video product development, wrote in a blog post Tuesday announcing the trial.

AnyPlay currently lets subscribers watch channels included in their linear channel subscription through the Xfinity TV app on Apple's iPad over in-home Wi-Fi, with support coming soon for the Motorola Xoom tablet. "So as long as your tablet is within range of the home wireless router, you can turn it into another television screen," Hess wrote.

Comcast and Motorola demonstrated the AnyPlay device (which Motorola calls "Televation") at the 2011 Cable Show last summer. Previously, AnyPlay was the name of a portable DVR developed with Panasonic, which the MSO never launched.

In addition to AnyPlay, the Xfinity TV app offers 8,000 hours of on-demand movies and TV shows available for no extra charge to Comcast video subscribers that can be watched both inside and outside of the home. Soon, Hess added, "we'll be bringing on demand content to even more devices, such as the Xbox 360 and Samsung connected TVs."

Motorola's Televation has a 1 GHz tuner and an Ethernet jack to plug directly into the home Wi-Fi router. To keep the programming secure while it is being streamed, and to preserve the digital rights associated with the program, the device uses Motorola's SecureMedia IPRM-HN technology, which has been approved by both CableLabs and the DTLA (Digital Transmission Licensing Administrator).

Other pay TV providers that offer live TV on tablets include Cablevision Systems, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications and Bright House Networks -- which stream the content over IP to subscribers' homes -- as well as DirecTV and Dish, through its Slingbox-enabled set-tops.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/..._Nashville.php

Links:

post #582 of 870 Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

@ CES: DLNA bows Premium Video; Comcast, Intel demo it

Wed, 01/11/2012 - 2:36pm Mike Robuck

Yesterday at CES, the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) unveiled its Premium Video platform, which enables networking to various DLNA-certified devices in the home, while Comcast and Intel demonstrated it over on the show floor.

By using DLNA Premium Video, service providers can enable whole-home networking to DLNA-certified products, including digital TVs, tablets, mobile phones, Blu-ray players and video game consoles. Premium Video can send the video streams to the various devices through the use of one set-top box in a home, and it allows viewers to start viewing a show in one room and resume watching it in another.

Nidhish Parikh, the president and chairman of DLNA, said there are currently 13,000 DLNA-certified devices, which translates into half a billion devices in consumers' homes. The number of devices is projected to increase to 3 billion by 2016.

DLNA worked with its member partners, including CableLabs, Comcast, Cisco, Intel and AT&T, on the design of Premium Video, and also on new DLNA interoperability guidelines that will become available later this year.

"Today's consumers want to be connected at all times, and smart devices give them this freedom," said Parikh. "As pioneers in connecting people and their devices, we've achieved a key milestone with the introduction of DLNA Premium Video, allowing consumers to easily connect and enjoy premium content throughout their homes."

Premium Video uses DTCP IP to protect the multiple formats of streams. At the sprawling Intel booth, Comcast/Intel's multi-screen demo sent MPEG-2 streams in 1080p to various devices in a proof of technology demonstration, according to Comcast engineering fellow in the office of the CTO David de Andrade. CES marked the first time that Intel and Comcast had taken the wraps off of the demo that used DLNA guidelines and Premium Video.

The demo featured the Pace box that Comcast is currently using for its Xcalibur trial in Augusta, Ga. Comcast had teamed up with Intel, which provided the Intel Architecture-based CE SoC for the new Pace set-top boxes, delivering the CPU and graphics performance required for the service's advanced user interface, fast responsive performance and new interactive applications.

The proof of concept demo added in an IP port on the Pace box to securely deliver Premium Video to DLNA devices. De Andrade said the roadmap of the future would include transcoding of the various streams in the box, as well as adaptive bit rates.

De Andrade said the technology demo configuration used Ethernet out, but in a deployed configuration, the IP connection will be MoCA out. There's no timeframe for availability of the Xfinity TV guide on the DLNA client.

http://www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012...-intel-demo-it

Links:

post #583 of 870 Old 01-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Hello all,
Any idea as to when we can expect to see the HD DTA in S. Florida?
Also is there a chance that the channels we get in our tier that are available in HD will come thru as such?
Thanks in advance for any info you may provide.
Helier
post #584 of 870 Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Comcast network upgrade blocks DNS blocking, could make SOPA self-incompatible

By Sharif Sakr posted Jan 12th 2012 8:19AM
engadget

Now here's a quirky twist in the ongoing SOPA opera. Comcast has just deployed DNSSEC technology across its entire internet service, which adds an extra layer of security to websites by checking that they have a special DNS signature to prove their identity. All well and good, except that in the process Comcast has been forced to admit that DNSSEC is "technically incompatible" with DNS redirect tools -- which happen to be precisely the tools that the Stop Online Piracy Act would use to block websites accused of copyright violation. The irony only deepens when you realize that Comcast is a major proponent of SOPA and, if anything, ought to be able to comply with its future edicts.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/c...make-sopa-sel/

Links:

post #585 of 870 Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by helier View Post

Hello all,
Any idea as to when we can expect to see the HD DTA in S. Florida?

Not really, as they are not available on any Comcast system as yet, to the best of my knowledge. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe by June, or worse case by the end of the year we should see them all over.

Quote:

Also is there a chance that the channels we get in our tier that are available in HD will come thru as such?

Yes, all the channels you subscribe to should be available on an HD DTA.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #586 of 870 Old 01-13-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
We'll have to wait and see on that, because with an SD DTA you do not get all the channels on your tier here in the ATL.
post #587 of 870 Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

What box do you currently have? I have the DCX3200 and going between music channels is without any delay. Sometimes it is a function of the TV switching resolutions. Go into the hidden menu by pressing power off and then menu on the remote so you can select the resolution.

It is not the TV/projector. I did set the resolution to 1080i on the box.

The slim box model number is RNG110. Really slow response. I am not looking for instantaneous channel change but at least I would like the video not to blank out for 2-3 secs.

I got the DCX3400 and it is a lot better. Music Choice channel change is instantaneous for audio like the DCT6200 and the change for other channels is a lot faster than DCT6200. Guide is also pretty fast. But there is some issue with the audio. The center channel seems to cut in and out and the volume level keeps changing. So I use the stereo mode on my Denon 3310. It is not my AVR as the RNG110 or DCT6200 were not doing that. I am using optical cable for audio as HDMI gives a hum. I dont like using HDMI anyway to my AVR as I like to hook up the projector straight to the HD box.

I have asked for the DCX3200 (non DVR box). Tech is coming to deliver the box as I have been to the Comcast office 3 times already.
post #588 of 870 Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

We'll have to wait and see on that, because with an SD DTA you do not get all the channels on your tier here in the ATL.

The HD DTA is capable of handling all the encryption methods that an HD STB can so you can get the same HD channels except for On Demand. The SD DTA can only handle simple encryption so it is limited to certain channels.
post #589 of 870 Old 01-14-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Agreed, but I think it's more of a 'what will Comcast allow' question more than a 'what the box can handle' one. This has the potential of cannibalizing their overpriced HD STB rentals for a lot of folks. In my area a simple HD box will cost you a minimum $10 a month due to their bogus 'outlet fee' and 'HD tech fee', and the HD DTA should be way less than that.
post #590 of 870 Old 01-14-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Agreed, but I think it's more of a 'what will Comcast allow' question more than a 'what the box can handle' one.

What they want is a less expensive alternative to the existing boxes. Crippling it serves no purpose. The HD DTA will get all available linear HD channels.

post #591 of 870 Old 01-14-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Will I be able to trade in my free SD DTA for one, and not pay any fees?
post #592 of 870 Old 01-14-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Will I be able to trade in my free SD DTA for one, and not pay any fees?

Sure. Right after I give you the winning lottery numbers.

post #593 of 870 Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

It didn't seem so off the wall to me, after all, the DTA I have now is free. If they're going to charge for one, why bother? They already have a HD box you pay for.
post #594 of 870 Old 01-15-2012, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It didn't seem so off the wall to me, after all, the DTA I have now is free. If they're going to charge for one, why bother? They already have a HD box you pay for.

I thought I read earlier that in some of Comcast's early roll-out markets they are now offering up to 3 SD DTAs instead of 2 to appease those who will no longer be able to connect the cable directly to their units (i.e. when they cut-off the QAM tuneable service)?

Or was I simply dreaming?

I could use a 3rd free SD DTA for the old TV in my garage/workshop area to receive CNBC or Bloomberg on weekdays.
post #595 of 870 Old 01-15-2012, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
basic service customers get 3 free DTAs. #4,5,6 are 50 cents per month. other customers get 2 free DTAs.
for some of the plans, the first HD(non-dvr) box is either free or reasonably rental-priced.
i prefer to own equipment rather than renting comcast's or using their free DTAs. an HD DTA would interest me however, or at least an SD DTA that connects via s-vid or component vid or composite vid, instead of RF...
post #596 of 870 Old 01-15-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I'm sure I have said this in here already but they gave me 2 DTA boxes and the slightly better one as well, no charge. They aren't HD but they work.
I now have a Motorola HD box that is nice that they gave me free when they talked me into upgrading to a HD package with phone and internet. Most places the crappy boxes are free for the first three and now if they are going to give out HD DTA boxes for most folks the first one should be free too.
If I had had that option I might not have upgraded to full HD package at all and possibly saved some money.
post #597 of 870 Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

...or at least an SD DTA that connects via s-vid or component vid or composite vid, instead of RF...

No such thing, and their won't be either.

post #598 of 870 Old 01-15-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The current HD boxes are expensive. If they cut off all clear QAM, which looks like it may happen, they'll need an inexpensive box for customers that want just local HD.

Further, the HD DTA gives them the flexibility to create new, lower cost programming tiers that can be supported inexpensively from a hardware point of view. As part of that, my guess is that On Demand content will begin to come at a cost in the near future, as part of more expensive tiers. If you don't want to pay for On Demand, you don't need a box that can support it.

post #599 of 870 Old 01-15-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

The current HD boxes are expensive. If they cut off all clear QAM, which looks like it may happen, they'll need an inexpensive box for customers that want just local HD.

Further, the HD DTA gives them the flexibility to create new, lower cost programming tiers that can be supported inexpensively from a hardware point of view. As part of that, my guess is that On Demand content will begin to come at a cost in the near future, as part of more expensive tiers. If you don't want to pay for On Demand, you don't need a box that can support it.

That would follow through with my guess the other day that along with charging subs $20 per month per premium channel for just a single HD channel, as it is currently in the SF market, they'll create even more revenue with equipment rental, and even charge for VOD as you mention, so that premium channel ends up costing even more than that $20 per month.
post #600 of 870 Old 01-15-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

That would follow through with my guess the other day that along with charging subs $20 per month per premium channel for just a single HD channel, as it is currently in the SF market, they'll create even more revenue with equipment rental, and even charge for VOD as you mention, so that premium channel ends up costing even more than that $20 per month.

I don't think the current model will change in that respect. In other words, if you are paying for the premium channel, you'll get all the On Demand for that channel at no additional cost.

The On Demand I'm referring to is content that is currently free from non-premium channels. I can see them wanting more for a box that provides that access, and less for a box that doesn't. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page