Comcast Technology Topic - Page 32 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #931 of 935 Old 03-19-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Do most of the HD cable boxes in the customers' hands support SDV? Or would that require swapping out the HD DVRs and other HD set top boxes that Comcast rents to their customers for boxes that can communicate back what channels are being watched/recorded?
Yes, all currently deployed digital equipment supports SDV. They would have to make some changes on the network end, which is what TWC has done. The weak link with TWC is poor support of TAs for TiVo and MCE users, Comcast, while required by law to offer TAs, would likely handle TiVos through IP/software, so it would work a lot better than the mess that TWC has created.
BiggAW is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #932 of 935 Old 03-19-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 29,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 611
A while back I had read that Comcast was looking to go the IPTV route, much like AT&T U-verse, which would enable more efficient use of the available bandwidth. While it's hard to read their minds, and they talk about all sorts of ways to go, I really don't see any expansion of the last mile infrastructure anytime soon. I'm on a 1GHz system but as noted above there are still loads of 750-860MHz systems out there. And I thought they had shelved the SDV idea a few years back.
Keenan is offline  
post #933 of 935 Old 03-20-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
A while back I had read that Comcast was looking to go the IPTV route, much like AT&T U-verse, which would enable more efficient use of the available bandwidth. While it's hard to read their minds, and they talk about all sorts of ways to go, I really don't see any expansion of the last mile infrastructure anytime soon. I'm on a 1GHz system but as noted above there are still loads of 750-860MHz systems out there. And I thought they had shelved the SDV idea a few years back.
They may be looking at IPTV, but it's not practical, and it's not going to be practical for a while. X1 might be able to do IPTV, but their older hardware can, even though most of it is H.264 and/or SDV capable. IPTV offers small gains, which would get bigger if it were done with H.264 over DOCSIS 3.1. However, it makes for a tough transition, as they would have to find bandwidth to get IPTV up and running before shutting down QAM, which could be a real challenge, even on the 860mhz, and forget about it on anything less.

Most of their systems are 860mhz, but they have some 750mhz, and some as low as 550mhz. I agree that they aren't going to rebuild 860mhz plants to anything higher (although I recall hearing that much of the equipment in an 860mhz plant is already 1ghz capable), because they're already invested in them to get to 860mhz, and because HFC plants become much harder to maintain over 860mhz, they are going to have to finish the 860mhz rebuild program by getting their 550-750mhz plants up to 860mhz. The plant that I'm on is a "625mhz" plant, but the tech said that they can't keep a QAM stable at 615mhz, so it sounds more like an overdriven 550mhz plant that was built in the late '70s. The highest channels that I've found (admittedly, I haven't looked at all of them) is at 591mhz. Pretty pathetic, considering several other plants in the state have been rebuilt, and they can run stuff right up to 860mhz, and are much more reliable than our "625mhz" plant.

Based on this, when you look at the math, if Comcast is going to offer gigabit internet like they have stated, and compete with DirecTV on HD and UHD channels, the only solution is SDV or IP. I could see them jumping directly to IP for UHD, but HD is going to be on QAM for a long time to come, since their existing boxes don't have DOCSIS 3.1 modems, or in many cases, can't handle IP at all.
BiggAW is online now  
post #934 of 935 Old 03-20-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 29,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
They may be looking at IPTV, but it's not practical, and it's not going to be practical for a while. X1 might be able to do IPTV, but their older hardware can, even though most of it is H.264 and/or SDV capable. IPTV offers small gains, which would get bigger if it were done with H.264 over DOCSIS 3.1. However, it makes for a tough transition, as they would have to find bandwidth to get IPTV up and running before shutting down QAM, which could be a real challenge, even on the 860mhz, and forget about it on anything less.

Most of their systems are 860mhz, but they have some 750mhz, and some as low as 550mhz. I agree that they aren't going to rebuild 860mhz plants to anything higher (although I recall hearing that much of the equipment in an 860mhz plant is already 1ghz capable), because they're already invested in them to get to 860mhz, and because HFC plants become much harder to maintain over 860mhz, they are going to have to finish the 860mhz rebuild program by getting their 550-750mhz plants up to 860mhz. The plant that I'm on is a "625mhz" plant, but the tech said that they can't keep a QAM stable at 615mhz, so it sounds more like an overdriven 550mhz plant that was built in the late '70s. The highest channels that I've found (admittedly, I haven't looked at all of them) is at 591mhz. Pretty pathetic, considering several other plants in the state have been rebuilt, and they can run stuff right up to 860mhz, and are much more reliable than our "625mhz" plant.

Based on this, when you look at the math, if Comcast is going to offer gigabit internet like they have stated, and compete with DirecTV on HD and UHD channels, the only solution is SDV or IP. I could see them jumping directly to IP for UHD, but HD is going to be on QAM for a long time to come, since their existing boxes don't have DOCSIS 3.1 modems, or in many cases, can't handle IP at all.
Agreed that the equipment swap over for such a large and diverse company like Comcast would be a huge undertaking, and while being big does give you the resources to make changes like that it also makes that change very slow to happen, Comcast is simply not a very nimble company when it comes to change.
Keenan is offline  
post #935 of 935 Unread Today, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Agreed that the equipment swap over for such a large and diverse company like Comcast would be a huge undertaking, and while being big does give you the resources to make changes like that it also makes that change very slow to happen, Comcast is simply not a very nimble company when it comes to change.
No, they are definitely not very nimble, and it makes it even worse that they are not only company operationally (region by region) or technologically (system by system). Plopping X1 on top of everything from 550mhz systems from the '70s to 860mhz rebuilds from the early 2010's that are both a mixture of Moto and Sci Atlanta might make them look kind of similar, but they're really not. X1 is like lipstick on a pig for non-rebuild systems.
BiggAW is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Technical

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off