Comcast Technology Topic - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1051 of 1068 Old 01-18-2016, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
YIKES! This is more complicated than I thought it would be. It sounds like there are two X-1 systems. One, simply stores everything in the cloud but the X1 box does not play it back. The X1 DVR box stores everything on the box itself. And, from what you say, the X1 DVR box also stores its content in the cloud.
When you order the "multiroom" system, do you then get an X-1 DVR box and a plain X-1 box or some other kind of slave box? I just contacted Comcast, and they certainly did not explain any of this. They did not point out there were different boxes available. I told them I wanted to change from having to regular DVR boxes (we have 2) to the X1 system. When I asked about price, they said it would be the same as now.

Final question. It sounds like anything we put in the cloud can be accessed from anywhere via computer. Does that mean I could store something on the X1 box in Miami, access it via computer in Oakland (or anywhere in the world) and watch it on the big screen via chromecast? As I recall, you can program your DVR remotely. OTH, maybe I remember this wrong.

Thanks again.
If you want the DVR and another X1 box the other X1 connects via MOCA to the DVR box to access its recordings. Currently the viewing of a recording on which is in the cloud is limited to your home except if you download the Android of Apple smartphone / tablet app which will allow you (while in your home) to "checkout" a recording by allowing you to download the recording to your smartphone or tablet. While the recording is checked out you cannot view it on another device. You can program your DVR from anywhere that you have internet access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1068 Old 01-18-2016, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for the education

I was, briefly, hoping that I could upload things to the cloud from our Miami home and download it in Oakland. In Miami, the condo association has a group deal with Comcast where everybody gets most of the channels including HBO and Showtime.
That gives us access to HBOgo, ESPNgo etc. that gives a better quality picture than we get from Comcast. Anyway, that's the way it appears to me. It also gives us access to Xfinitygo. That quality seems fine, EXCEPT if there is any action like a sporting event on TNT. In Oakland, we have super high-speed Internet which is not from Comcast. Therefore, we should be getting good streaming from Xfinity go.
post #1053 of 1068 Old 01-19-2016, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can program a 30 second skip into the X1 box (instead of five minutes) via the remote. You are actually putting the code in the box instead of the remote.
post #1054 of 1068 Old 01-19-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 70
There are several different versions of the X1 hardware, and at least two different models for the service itself, depending on market. It's kind of confusing.
post #1055 of 1068 Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I got the X1 non DVR box, a Samsung XG2 or something like that. I like it a lot BUT it wont do native resolution, and most of the old legacy outputs are gone. It also has no front display at all, just a blue vertical light on the right side so you know when it's on. I also have a few cable card devices and my local office claimed X1 conflicts with cable cards so when I went to trade in my DCH-3200 box they gave me a cut down box that now support MPG4 but still used the old guide and system.
I was sent a free X1 upgrade card in the mail that said I could order online or in store so I ordered online and they sent it to me with a free self install.
My cable card stuff still works fine and so does the new box so the conflict story isn't true. I did unplug the coax at both devices till the upgrade activated just in case but doubt it was necessary. It does have a SD card buried somewhere that allows it to pause or record a bit of live TV which is handy, and some popular shows and movies allow you to start from the beginning which is great if you find something halfway through that you really wanted to watch all of it. The new guide looks like Plex, Kodi, or probably Tivo and is really nice looking with all the pics and info.
I should probably do that 30 second skip feature as it'd be great for commercials when the show allows it, and if anyone finds a way to make X1 do native resolution someday that would be great also even though so far the picture looks really good at 1080i.
post #1056 of 1068 Old 01-21-2016, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
You can program a 30 second skip into the X1 box (instead of five minutes) via the remote. You are actually putting the code in the box instead of the remote.
Where can I find instructions on how to modify the skip length?

Kemper Holt
post #1057 of 1068 Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post
Where can I find instructions on how to modify the skip length?
Quote:
At any rate, here is the quick, two-step process:
Step 1: Press the Exit button three times
Step 2: Press 0030
Now, when you use your remote, you'll find that the page up button, which previous skipped ahead five minutes, now skips ahead 30 seconds. And the page down button now skips back 15 seconds, even though the Replay button near the top of the remote also skips back 15 seconds.
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-pr...or-xfinity-x1/
klh007 likes this.
post #1058 of 1068 Old 01-21-2016, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If your set is capable of 1080p choose that setting. The X1 box does an excellent job of up-scaling all content to 1080p.
post #1059 of 1068 Old 01-21-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
I should probably do that 30 second skip feature as it'd be great for commercials when the show allows it, and if anyone finds a way to make X1 do native resolution someday that would be great also even though so far the picture looks really good at 1080i.
I doubt it. The few people who care about native mode, like me, already have TiVos.
post #1060 of 1068 Old 01-21-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
I doubt it. The few people who care about native mode, like me, already have TiVos.
I've thought about a TiVo but I like my HD HomeRun Prime and I can easily add extra drives and edit and move almost anything it captures for me and it costs me nothing extra to continue to use.
The monthly or lifetime sub always stops me, don't have the extra cash around like I used too.
I may jump in someday if a smoking deal on a box and lifetime comes up but everything I have now is paid for and just continues to work. I also don't like the idea if the TiVo box dies your Sol on your lifetime I guess.
post #1061 of 1068 Old 01-25-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
I've thought about a TiVo but I like my HD HomeRun Prime and I can easily add extra drives and edit and move almost anything it captures for me and it costs me nothing extra to continue to use.
The monthly or lifetime sub always stops me, don't have the extra cash around like I used too.
I may jump in someday if a smoking deal on a box and lifetime comes up but everything I have now is paid for and just continues to work. I also don't like the idea if the TiVo box dies your Sol on your lifetime I guess.
Well, my point exactly, you're still not using X1. The Lifetime now for new TiVo subs is crazy expensive. I have a box with Lifetime, I may call them up and try to get an existing subscriber deal on a new one at some point. The $600 Lifetime is tough to swallow when the box comes with a year, and they are $150/year after that. It was a no-brainer when it was $500 for Lifetime, with no service included, and service at $15/mo.

The single reason that I've held back somewhat is that DirecTV is clearly the superior TV service, so at some point, I might actually give up my TiVo for DirecTV's service. If they supported TiVo in a meaningful way, I would already be with them.
post #1062 of 1068 Old 01-25-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Well, my point exactly, you're still not using X1. The Lifetime now for new TiVo subs is crazy expensive. I have a box with Lifetime, I may call them up and try to get an existing subscriber deal on a new one at some point. The $600 Lifetime is tough to swallow when the box comes with a year, and they are $150/year after that. It was a no-brainer when it was $500 for Lifetime, with no service included, and service at $15/mo.
Being a condo owner - satellite is not an option. I never could understand why TiVo makes economic sense. Comcast charges $15 a month to rent their box, maybe it's now a couple dollars more. With TiVo you have to pay the $15 plus buy the box. And since technology is constantly changing at some point your TiVo box will be obsolete, so you'll have to buy a new one.
I would like a box that would allow easy recording of any video stream that I am sending to the big screen. The past couple years more and more of our TV viewing is by streaming. I like the ability to pause and fast forward. Example: I can start watching the sporting an hour after it starts and be caught up by the end of the game. Other programs I like to watch on my own time. It's worth $15 or even $20 a month to have those features.
post #1063 of 1068 Old 01-25-2016, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Being a condo owner - satellite is not an option.
Says who?
post #1064 of 1068 Old 01-25-2016, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitti View Post
Says the law of physics. We can see due West, North, and East. We cannot see South. Besides, the condo association has a killer deal with Comcast where everyone gets most of the channels including HBO, SHO, etc. we only have to pay for the box. Also have to pay for Internet.
post #1065 of 1068 Old 01-25-2016, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Being a condo owner - satellite is not an option. I never could understand why TiVo makes economic sense. Comcast charges $15 a month to rent their box, maybe it's now a couple dollars more. With TiVo you have to pay the $15 plus buy the box. And since technology is constantly changing at some point your TiVo box will be obsolete, so you'll have to buy a new one.
Our Condo Association is a bit more lax but the board wants approval on location of the satellite dishes.

When in October 2012 Comcast dropped the analog channels (so no more time shifting with a pair of VCRs with a third VCR for viewing the cassettes), the prices I remember were $17/mo for HD DVR rental from Comcast and $15/mo for the Tivo service with required up-front purchase of the Tivo.

The $2 difference in monthly cost and huge difference in up-front costs ($0 in my case for renting the HD-DVR vs. $$$ for the purchase price of a Tivo) made the decision easy for me. Plus, when things break, it is nice being able to contact just one vendor instead of having two vendors doing finger-pointing.

With my luck, I would have probably purchased a Tivo that didn't know how to handle MPEG4, which, a mere 3 years later, is being phased in in my area, whereas the HD-DVR I am renting from Comcast had MPEG4 support from the time I picked it up from the Xfinity store, and even if it didn't support MPEG4 it would have been an equipment exchange instead of a significant equipment repurchase.
HDMI Guy likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, PC (Windows 7), Xfinity Internet (160Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola DCX3501, Xfinity faceplate: RNG200N), Xfinity cable (Digital Preferred Plus), Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player.
post #1066 of 1068 Old 01-27-2016, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How The FCC Hopes To Make Set-Top Boxes More Affordable

By Chris Morran January 27, 2016
(ryusaisei)

As expected, FCC Chair Tom Wheeler has proposed new rules intended to make the set-top box market more competitive and offer consumers more choices. Now we have some details on how he hopes to actually accomplish this goal. U.S. pay-TV customers pay around $20 billion a year in “lease” or “rental” fees for set-top boxes provided by their cable or satellite companies. Prices for these devices have nearly doubled over the last two decades while prices for similarly innovative electronics have dropped significantly during the same time period.
Wheeler believes that it will help consumers if more companies can offer devices and apps that compete directly with those being provided by the cable operators. The hope is that the competition will also spur innovation so that pay-TV companies will have to provide customers with new and unique features in order to keep them from going elsewhere. Likewise, no one will be forced to give up their current cable boxes. If they’re happy with what they have, they just keep on paying the cable companies for them.
The big question is whether the increased competition will drive the price down. Manufacturers like TiVO have been making third-party DVRs that can replace some set-top boxes, but they can still be quite pricey.
The only way that cable companies will reduce their rental fees is if device makers come out with less expensive boxes that people actually want to buy. That brings up another issue: Even if a box is relatively affordable, at say $100, will people be okay with paying that amount upfront or will they choose to keep paying $7 a month to avoid the larger, immediate out-of-pocket expense? Only time will tell.
So how are all these potential new manufacturers going to make sure they are building boxes that work? The proposal would ask the pay-TV companies to make sure that competing device and app manufacturers can get programming information (channel and program listings, on-demand offerings), clarification on what a set-top box should be able to do with the content it receives (can it record shows? can it broadcast recorded content online to the customer?), and obviously the video programming itself.
Rather than have the FCC determine the standards for sharing this information, Wheeler would have them put together by an independent standards body that meets a handful of conditions, including openness in membership and a balance of interests. That is, it can’t just be a few cable companies or manufacturers making decisions that are ultimately best for them.
In terms of security, Wheeler proposes allowing cable companies to maintain the proprietary systems they have developed to protect against theft and piracy. However, the proposal would require that they offer at least one content protection system to competing device makers that is openly licensed on reasonable and non-discriminatory terms.

http://consumerist.com/2016/01/27/ho...re-affordable/
post #1067 of 1068 Old 01-27-2016, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well actually, with Comcast, TiVo was significantly cheaper up until Lifetime got more expensive a few months ago. TiVo WAS $400 and then $500 for Lifetime, and $150 for the Minis with no monthly fees. Comcast charges $20/mo for the first X1, and $10/mo for each additional box for an inferior product. I haven't done the math out with the current pricing scheme, but because the extra boxes are a one-time cost on TiVo, TiVo will absolutely be cheaper if you have a bunch of TVs, probably not if you only have one.

Of course there's also the reality that X1 is just an inferior product to TiVo, and TiVo would be worth extra money if it actually cost more.

Quote:
I would like a box that would allow easy recording of any video stream that I am sending to the big screen. The past couple years more and more of our TV viewing is by streaming. I like the ability to pause and fast forward. Example: I can start watching the sporting an hour after it starts and be caught up by the end of the game. Other programs I like to watch on my own time. It's worth $15 or even $20 a month to have those features.
Or you could just watch it on TV. If it's Netflix or Amazon or whatever, then it's pausable to you heart's content anyway.
post #1068 of 1068 Old Today, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Comcast Reveals First D3.1 Gigabit Cities

With limited information on timing, and zero information on price, Comcast announced its first five cities targeted for DOCSIS 3.1 deployments today. Atlanta and Nashville will see gigabit broadband service powered by D3.1 tech in "early 2016," with Chicago, Detroit and Miami following in the latter half of the year.

The big advantage of DOCSIS 3.1 is that it allows operators to launch gigabit services over their existing cable networks. Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) has been the most aggressive in the US with the technology, although the fact that that company is only announcing five cities so far for all of 2016 suggests that it won't catch up to telco rival AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) any time soon. Google Fiber Inc. has also announced a ramp-up in gigabit city deployments planned for this year, which should add to the pressure on Comcast and other cable providers.

Comcast previously launched a multi-gigabit broadband service, Gigabit Pro, delivered over fiber-to-the-home networks. That offering, however, is prohibitively priced at $300 per month. In comparison, Google Fiber typically offers gigabit service for $70 per month, while AT&T's monthly fee tends to range between $70 and $100 for its gigabit broadband tier.

On the DOCSIS 3.1 front, Liberty Global Inc. (Nasdaq: LBTY) and Videotron Ltd. are among those operators also expected to announce their first deployments of the cable technology in 2016. Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. announced this week that it's partnering with TDC Group to begin D3.1 rollouts across Denmark sometime this summer.

There is no word yet on which vendors Comcast is using for its first DOCSIS 3.1 cities. However, a Comcast Xfinity-branded D3.1 modem by Technicolor (Euronext Paris: TCH; NYSE: TCH) made the rounds at a CableLabs interop event last fall.

http://www.lightreading.com/cable/do...d/d-id/720796?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page