Comcast Technology Topic - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #1231 of 1237 Old 07-27-2016, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
In our area one cannot generalize. The upgraded towns are decent (not like uncompressed HD of course), but the non- upgraded towns are not so great. I have some channels where a sports field looks like an algae bog.
I'm actually nearby in central CT. I'll have to see if I can find out if they've upgraded in my town.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1237 Old 07-27-2016, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have any idea whether or how Comcast will distribute the 4k Olympics content that NBC is providing to its distribution partners?

I gather the 4k X1 box will not be available until 2017, so I assume that's not an option. Comcast did (does) have a UHD Sampler app for some smart TVs. Will they put out a new app for the Olympics? Maybe we could stream 4k from a computer with a good video card, or maybe Olympics in 4k will be a no-go from Comcast?
post #1233 of 1237 Old 07-27-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoReDist View Post
one bit of reasoning is that then they would be obligated to deploy & support Tuning Adapters in those markets switched to SDV, so that customers with Tivos or other third-party devices would have two-way comm.
One also has to figure that given how problematic SDV can be Comcast probably didn't want to add to their already massive customer service problem.
post #1234 of 1237 Old 07-27-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv1983 View Post
Just curious, any idea why Comcast refuses to switch to switched video? Seems like kind of a no brainer. Happier customers and less unneeded traffic hogging bandwidth.
They want to jump directly to IP, but it's taking WAY too long. They should have done SDV like 5+ years ago and they would be enjoying the results today. Instead they use anti-competitive bundling practices to force TV down people's throats. When I own my own place, I'm giving up my TiVos, settling for Genie, and enjoying DirecTV's high PQ, and 100% coverage of Connecticut basketball in HD, which no cable provider offers (some are at like 95%+, non-rebuild Comcast systems are significantly lower than that, with CBSSN in HD but crummy looking and having stereo audio).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoReDist View Post
one bit of reasoning is that then they would be obligated to deploy & support Tuning Adapters in those markets switched to SDV, so that customers with Tivos or other third-party devices would have two-way comm.
Not if they did it through software with TiVo. They would still be required to have a few in a closet somewhere in case someone pulled out some outdated CableCard device that's not a TiVo.

Quote:
In our area one cannot generalize. The upgraded towns are decent (not like uncompressed HD of course), but the non- upgraded towns are not so great. I have some channels where a sports field looks like an algae bog.
I disagree. I have done comparisons between my parents' house on the Branford system, and my apartment on the Groton system. Branford is an 860mhz rebuild, circa 2011. Groton is a 625mhz non-rebuild.

What I have found is that the 70 or so HDs that are on all the systems are heavily compressed centrally for the whole state or maybe a larger area so that they can fit on the creaky old systems like Groton and Clinton. Meanwhile, the other 50 or so HDs that are only on the rebuild systems aren't nearly as heavily compressed. Since the 70 more popular HDs are compressed centrally, everyone suffers from the limited bandwidth on the non-rebuild system. ESPNU HD is only on rebuild systems, and it looks absolutely incredible. Most other channels look like crap. Channels only available in SD anywhere, like when AJAM existed, looked great in SD, but ESPNU in SD looks horrendous because most systems have it in HD, so they compress the snot out of it, but here in Groton, there is no HD version of it, so we are stuck watching the horrendous SD channel. If ESPN's streaming is better this season, and I'm still in Groton, I might just stream them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs111 View Post
I'm actually nearby in central CT. I'll have to see if I can find out if they've upgraded in my town.
Thanks.
What system? Plainville is an oddball 750mhz non-rebuild, New Haven, Hartford, Danbury, Branford, Norwich, and I believe Vernon are 860mhz rebuilds. Groton and Clinton are 625mhz and 650mhz non-rebuilds. Not sure about Old Lyme.
post #1235 of 1237 Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What system? Plainville is an oddball 750mhz non-rebuild, New Haven, Hartford, Danbury, Branford, Norwich, and I believe Vernon are 860mhz rebuilds. Groton and Clinton are 625mhz and 650mhz non-rebuilds. Not sure about Old Lyme.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Bristol so I guess it's Plainville. Doesn't sound good.
post #1236 of 1237 Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
They want to jump directly to IP, but it's taking WAY too long. They should have done SDV like 5+ years ago and they would be enjoying the results today. Instead they use anti-competitive bundling practices to force TV down people's throats. When I own my own place, I'm giving up my TiVos, settling for Genie, and enjoying DirecTV's high PQ, and 100% coverage of Connecticut basketball in HD, which no cable provider offers (some are at like 95%+, non-rebuild Comcast systems are significantly lower than that, with CBSSN in HD but crummy looking and having stereo audio).

Not if they did it through software with TiVo. They would still be required to have a few in a closet somewhere in case someone pulled out some outdated CableCard device that's not a TiVo.

I disagree. I have done comparisons between my parents' house on the Branford system, and my apartment on the Groton system. Branford is an 860mhz rebuild, circa 2011. Groton is a 625mhz non-rebuild.

What I have found is that the 70 or so HDs that are on all the systems are heavily compressed centrally for the whole state or maybe a larger area so that they can fit on the creaky old systems like Groton and Clinton. Meanwhile, the other 50 or so HDs that are only on the rebuild systems aren't nearly as heavily compressed. Since the 70 more popular HDs are compressed centrally, everyone suffers from the limited bandwidth on the non-rebuild system. ESPNU HD is only on rebuild systems, and it looks absolutely incredible. Most other channels look like crap. Channels only available in SD anywhere, like when AJAM existed, looked great in SD, but ESPNU in SD looks horrendous because most systems have it in HD, so they compress the snot out of it, but here in Groton, there is no HD version of it, so we are stuck watching the horrendous SD channel. If ESPN's streaming is better this season, and I'm still in Groton, I might just stream them.

What system? Plainville is an oddball 750mhz non-rebuild, New Haven, Hartford, Danbury, Branford, Norwich, and I believe Vernon are 860mhz rebuilds. Groton and Clinton are 625mhz and 650mhz non-rebuilds. Not sure about Old Lyme.
I'll take your word for it that some of those systems are wonderful if my "uncompressed" comment is what you disagree with. I have only seen TV in those towns in bars where the adjustment could be goofy. I hope I live long enough to see a Top HD PQ in Clinton, but probably won't
post #1237 of 1237 Old Today, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs111 View Post
I'm in Bristol so I guess it's Plainville. Doesn't sound good.[/QUOTE]

Plainville's channel lineup looks a lot more like an 860mhz rebuild system than a 650mhz non-rebuild, so you're in decent shape. It seems to me that the extra channels use up around another 100mhz above what the 650mhz systems, although I'm not sure what that will mean for gigabit internet, which it looks like would require an 860mhz system to run MPEG-4 video AND DOCSIS 3 AND DOCSIS 3.1 to cobble together enough bandwidth for gigabit.

Quote:
I'll take your word for it that some of those systems are wonderful if my "uncompressed" comment is what you disagree with. I have only seen TV in those towns in bars where the adjustment could be goofy. I hope I live long enough to see a Top HD PQ in Clinton, but probably won't
I was referring to the amount of compression. All channels are compressed at least twice. It would be impossible to offer them uncompressed, and only Google Fiber offers them without any re-compression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical