Comcast Technology Topic - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I notice on ebay the choices seem to be Motorola SBG6580 vs Arris TG862G. Don't need phone service. Appreciate any advice between the two or alternately suggesting another model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv1983 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "click heavy"? The box has lots of different functions so your aren't going to get to every function with just one or two clicks. If I want to go from live TV to playing the most recent recorded program I can do it in 4 clicks. 1. XFinity button to bring up main menu. 2. Ok button to select "Saved". 3. Ok button to select recorded. 4. Play button to start play back. Plus, X1 allows you to search directly from live TV. The search includes channel numbers that match the buttons pressed as well as cable broadcast and On Demand titles. With DirecTV you have several clicks to even get to a place where you can START searching and even then I think you have to use the arrow keys to move around an on screen keyboard and even then the last time I used it the search doesn't even include any On Demand titles. That's a different menu like the old iGuide Comcast used to have. I don't know how good the search on TiVo is these days but last time I looked at it (which wasn't very recently but not a long time ago either) the search wasn't very good.
You have to click around a lot to DO anything. TiVo is moderately click-heavy, it's definitely not a light interface. X1 is heavier, although still not Nokia-level of clicking 5 menus to do anything. I had that E71 down pat, but I swear it was like 15 clicks to send a text. It was unbelievable. X1 does have the cool T9-esque keyboard which is legitimately an innovation, but I wouldn't give up the otherwise far superior TiVo for a cool typing method. I have the Pro remote on the TiVo with the slide out keyboard. It works well, but it's kludgier than just typing with T9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spb37 View Post
Can someone suggest a combined cable modem wireless router that I can reasonably buy on ebay for Comcast service. Thanks so much for the info.
Do not buy a combined device. Get two separate ones. I have an SB6141 and an ASUS RT-AC68U. At this point, I'd recommend the SB6190, as it's a 32 channel modem, and the pinnacle of DOCSIS 3 technology before DOCSIS 3.1 comes in, and the ASUS router I have is great. I would have upgraded my modem, except that my area's ancient 625mhz plant only has 8 DOCSIS QAMs anyway.
Old Today, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by spb37 View Post
I notice on ebay the choices seem to be Motorola SBG6580 vs Arris TG862G. Don't need phone service. Appreciate any advice between the two or alternately suggesting another model.

I would recommend the ARRIS SURFboard SBG6782-AC modem / router which is newer and has a better router component. However consider buying a separate modem and router since Comcast will soon be in the process of going to DOCSIS 3.1 and probably within a few years you may want to upgrade the modem. If you live in a small house or apartment the SBG6782-AC would probably work well but in a larger house you probably would want a more powerful router.

Last edited by PaulGo; Today at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement