Comcast Technology Topic - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 109Likes

post #1441 of 1635 Old 09-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Yeah, it was back in the analog days. But what if a bad connection can cause digital problems?

(LCD - Sony KDL -52 XBR4) (Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Comcast X1) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1635 Old 09-12-2016, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Cable does not work that way. The most local that channels could be compressed differently is from system to system. Within a system, everything is compressed exactly the same, as they are the same signals going to each node. Most likely, they are compressing locals on a market basis, although it's possible that each system is compressing them separately. The same would be the case for RSNs. I don't know which sets of cable channels are nationally compressed, and which are regionally compressed, however.

I will repeat for about the third time. It's digital. Everyone is getting the same data on a given channel within the same system, unless it's not working in which case it will basically just disappear, or cut in and out. How boxes are set up or decade that data may vary, and how a TV is processing and displaying that data could affect things. I'll say that at my parents' house on a 55" or 60" 1080p display, Comcast looks a lot better than on my 65" Samsung SUHDTV. It would probably look much, much better on a 32" TV than on a 60" TV.

It's possible that some boxes are better than others at de-compressing the signal, although it's unlikely that you'd see a huge difference. That's a HUGE system, but that has nothing to do with variations of picture quality within the system, that can only be due to the box and TV, or any video processing being applied to the signal inbetween the box and TV.
According to network engineers at Comcast you are wrong. The cable channels are sent to the head-end from some other office while the local channels are pulled in from an antenna at(or near) the head end. The compression for each is handled independently before all the channels are combined and sent down the fiber from the head end. If something is wrong with the compression equipment that handles the local channel compression at the head end then you could see problems with only local channels while cable channels(TBS, TNT, Comedy Central, ESPN, etc) are compressed elsewhere. The same is true if the local compression equipment was fine but the compression on the national channels had an issue. The local channels would look fine while the national cable channels would have issues. My issues occur on both local AND national cable channels.

I never said that each node is getting channels that are compressed differently. I'm saying there could be something wrong between the node and my home or between the head-end and my node(assuming it's multiple fibers that come from the head-end to the different nodes in my town, I'm not sure how that works.).

I know it's digital. And I'm telling you again. Something is going on. Something that exists at my home but not 2 miles away. One of the Comcast techs brought a 21" TV they use for testing. The problem was just as noticeable. The nearby pizza place has 3 TVs. A 32", a 46" and a 65". None of them had the problem. All 3 were crystal clear.

Maybe it is the box not being as good at decompressing as other boxes but if that is the case it must be an issue with the X1 boxes in general and not just my box since I've had the box replaced and it's unlikely that two different boxes would have the exact same problem that a third, forth or fifth box wouldn't have. It's not the TV and there is no processing being applied between the box and TV. The HDMI cable(which I have replaced) goes out of the box and directly into the TV.

Regardless of the cause there IS a problem. The problem isn't the TV, it's very unlikely to be the box(since it has been replaced) and the problem doesn't exist 2 miles away. I have a 55". Smaller TVs at my home have the same problem while larger TVs at the pizza place do NOT have the problem. So how do you explain that?

I really wish the issue would show up on a picture from my phone but it doesn't.
post #1443 of 1635 Old 09-13-2016, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Once I had issues. Finally the third tech goes up the pole and finds a bad ground on their hard line going to the drops. Problem solved, but it took three visits. Gotta get the right tech.
Did fixing the bad ground fix your levels, or was it more about PQ?

post #1444 of 1635 Old 09-13-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv1983 View Post
According to network engineers at Comcast you are wrong. The cable channels are sent to the head-end from some other office while the local channels are pulled in from an antenna at(or near) the head end. The compression for each is handled independently before all the channels are combined and sent down the fiber from the head end. If something is wrong with the compression equipment that handles the local channel compression at the head end then you could see problems with only local channels while cable channels(TBS, TNT, Comedy Central, ESPN, etc) are compressed elsewhere. The same is true if the local compression equipment was fine but the compression on the national channels had an issue. The local channels would look fine while the national cable channels would have issues. My issues occur on both local AND national cable channels.
I literally said that channels could be compressed differently from one system to another, at the most local level, and not at a node level. Then you said I was wrong, and repeated essentially the same thing.

Quote:
I never said that each node is getting channels that are compressed differently. I'm saying there could be something wrong between the node and my home or between the head-end and my node(assuming it's multiple fibers that come from the head-end to the different nodes in my town, I'm not sure how that works.).
You said different nodes would get different compression. Not possible if they on the same system. There is a fiber connection from each node to the head-end.

Quote:
Regardless of the cause there IS a problem. The problem isn't the TV, it's very unlikely to be the box(since it has been replaced) and the problem doesn't exist 2 miles away. I have a 55". Smaller TVs at my home have the same problem while larger TVs at the pizza place do NOT have the problem. So how do you explain that?
The box you have and the box that the pizza place has is getting the exact same signal, so it must be something downstream of that. Even weird electrical/grounding issues can't really do anything to digital, as it's digital.
post #1445 of 1635 Old 09-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenell View Post
Did fixing the bad ground fix your levels, or was it more about PQ?
It was about picture quality.

(LCD - Sony KDL -52 XBR4) (Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Comcast X1) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #1446 of 1635 Old 09-14-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Yeah, it was back in the analog days. But what if a bad connection can cause digital problems?
Digital Picture quality isn't progressively impacted by a bad connection. Unlike analogue systems you don't get progressive degradation of the picture quality with poorer quality connections making the picture snowier/noisier, adding reflections/ghost imaging or softening the picture.`

If you have an acceptable connection you get an identical quality picture to that of a perfect connection. If you have a lousy connection you either totally lose service and get a blank screen, or if you are 'on the edge' you will get freezing and massive picture break-up, but when the picture is decoded it is the same quality as a perfect signal.

Think of digital cable a bit like a file with a JPEG in it. Doesn't matter how that JPEG gets to you the quality is the same.
kitti likes this.
post #1447 of 1635 Old 09-14-2016, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post
It's no hoax. Comcast is changing their signal encoding from the old MPEG2 standard to the to the newer MPEG4 standard. Older boxes can't handle MPEG4, so you need a new box. I'm pretty sure that folks are getting X1 boxes as part of the switch. Comcast wants everybody on the new platform so that they can drop support of legacy products like iGuide.

I love my X1 box. I can't imagine going back to the old boxes.
a
Another question if you don't mind. Currently I dump content from my DCT box to VHS tape is I want to keep it. Does the X1 have composite A/V ports, and do you know if the signal is able to be recorded cleanly on VHS?
post #1448 of 1635 Old 09-14-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I literally said that channels could be compressed differently from one system to another, at the most local level, and not at a node level. Then you said I was wrong, and repeated essentially the same thing.

You said different nodes would get different compression. Not possible if they on the same system.
I never said the nodes would get different compressed signals. I said local and national cable channels get compressed separately before they leave the head end. I only mentioned that to point out that because my problem exists on both local and national cable channels the problem is very unlikely to be a compression issue. What I said was that there might be some issue between my home and the node or between the node and the head end. I never suggested that issue was compression.

Quote:
The box you have and the box that the pizza place has is getting the exact same signal, so it must be something downstream of that. Even weird electrical/grounding issues can't really do anything to digital, as it's digital.
Well obviously both boxes(mine and the pizza place boxes) aren't getting the exact same signal or the issue wouldn't exist. The only thing downstream would be the box itself, the HDMI cable or the TV. The box has already been replaced so it isn't that unless two different boxes had the exact same problem which is possible but probably unlikely. I am planning on having them come back out with a 3rd box just to make sure. It isn't the HDMI cable since that has also been replaced.

That just leaves the TV. I tired a different HDMI port with the same issue. No other sources hooked up to the same TV(BluRay, Chromecast, HD antenna and a laptop) have the issue. I also had a different(smaller) TV hooked up to the same box and the same problem was seen. If the exact same problem is seen from the same box on a DIFFERENT TV then how could the TV be the issue? The Comcast tech saw exactly what I was talking about. So how could it be anything downstream of the cable coming out of the wall when all things downstream of that have been swapped out and the problem still exists? That's just common sense.

Quote:
There is a fiber connection from each node to the head-end.
Thanks. That's one of the questions I had. I wasn't sure if each node had it's own fiber from the head end or if one fiber went to a smaller area and split to the nodes from there. For example, the head end could feed 5 cities. One fiber goes to each city from the head end and then each node is split from that one fiber at a more local level. Based on what you said that doesn't seem to be the case.
post #1449 of 1635 Old 09-14-2016, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenshaw View Post
a
Another question if you don't mind. Currently I dump content from my DCT box to VHS tape is I want to keep it. Does the X1 have composite A/V ports, and do you know if the signal is able to be recorded cleanly on VHS?
my x1 box has composite A/V ports.
milt9
post #1450 of 1635 Old 09-14-2016, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I never said the nodes would get different compressed signals. I said local and national cable channels get compressed separately before they leave the head end. I only mentioned that to point out that because my problem exists on both local and national cable channels the problem is very unlikely to be a compression issue. What I said was that there might be some issue between my home and the node or between the node and the head end. I never suggested that issue was compression.
Then you implied that. That logic doesn't make any sense, as they heavily compress both, it's the Comcast way. It's Comcastic!

Quote:
Well obviously both boxes(mine and the pizza place boxes) aren't getting the exact same signal or the issue wouldn't exist. The only thing downstream would be the box itself, the HDMI cable or the TV. The box has already been replaced so it isn't that unless two different boxes had the exact same problem which is possible but probably unlikely. I am planning on having them come back out with a 3rd box just to make sure. It isn't the HDMI cable since that has also been replaced.

That just leaves the TV. I tired a different HDMI port with the same issue. No other sources hooked up to the same TV(BluRay, Chromecast, HD antenna and a laptop) have the issue. I also had a different(smaller) TV hooked up to the same box and the same problem was seen. If the exact same problem is seen from the same box on a DIFFERENT TV then how could the TV be the issue? The Comcast tech saw exactly what I was talking about. So how could it be anything downstream of the cable coming out of the wall when all things downstream of that have been swapped out and the problem still exists? That's just common sense.
They have to be getting the same signal. Digital doesn't degrade like that. It's basically all-or-nothing.

Quote:
Thanks. That's one of the questions I had. I wasn't sure if each node had it's own fiber from the head end or if one fiber went to a smaller area and split to the nodes from there. For example, the head end could feed 5 cities. One fiber goes to each city from the head end and then each node is split from that one fiber at a more local level. Based on what you said that doesn't seem to be the case.
It's totally irrelevant to your issue/question, but yeah, in order for the whole CMTS to work properly, each node would need it's own fiber strand, or at a bare minimum it's own wavelength, which is basically like having it's own cable using WDM.
post #1451 of 1635 Old 09-14-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Then you implied that. That logic doesn't make any sense, as they heavily compress both, it's the Comcast way. It's Comcastic!
I never implied that. I specifically said the compression happens before it leaves the head end. And like I said the pizza place has a great picture so the compression can't be that bad.

Quote:
They have to be getting the same signal. Digital doesn't degrade like that. It's basically all-or-nothing.
The signal that leaves the head end is the same but something could be happening between the head end and my node or between my node and my house.

So lets say you are right. The signal coming into my box and the signal coming into the boxes at the pizza place are the exact same signal. The box has been replaced so it isn't that. The HDMI cable has been replaced so it isn't that either. Other sources on the TV aren't affected and other TVs hooked up to the same box have the same issue so it isn't the TV.

So not the signal, not the box, not the HDMI cable and not the TV.

So please, tell what else it could possibly be?

Quote:
It's totally irrelevant to your issue/question, but yeah, in order for the whole CMTS to work properly, each node would need it's own fiber strand, or at a bare minimum it's own wavelength, which is basically like having it's own cable using WDM.
It wasn't really supposed to be relevant to my original issue(although it could make a difference to where in the line the issue exists). It was really just a separate question that I was curious about.
post #1452 of 1635 Old 09-17-2016, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Having re-read a couple of the recent postings in this thread, I'll leave a few of my own impressions. (I thought I left a posting in this thread earlier this week,but I must have forgotten to hit the post button)

Comcast Technology Topic ??? Tech isn't necessarily the first thing that comes to mind for me when it refers to equipment I use that I don't own. Rented equipment almost always favors "Customer Ergonomics" over available technology & how it normally implemented in "Consumer Electronics". He,he,he... I don't think that you could consider almost any of the Audio components I'm currently using as "Consumer" level, starting with my Equitech 1.5Q BPT line conditioner in front of my Audio system. I guess I would have to say I prefer to use "Enthusiast" level equipment, but for Consumer level tech Comcast/(Now re-badged as Xfinity in my area) has improved by leaps & bounds from what I remember it being in years past.

That being said, I'm certain that the current X1 platform wouldn't be working as well as it does in my "Video"system without my having taken a System approach to how it's implemented for my use. Once again, any source of power to your home really is just barely sufficient for use with A/V systems. While your household appliances don't mind any "noise" in the power they're being fed , A/V sources (particularly Consumer level equipment) don't operate nearly as well as they could in terms of getting "every last ounce of performance" from them. For my Video side of things , I honestly believe that the PSAudio PP600 is working just exceptionally well in giving whatever I'm using a superior power "platform" to use. I can't remember having any ground loop problems in the past 15yrs or so. If I have a problem somewhere it is 98% of the time a cable connection (or the cable itself) that is what's at fault. This is just a start though,as Comcast (or any consumer tech) needs a bit of help for it's embedded Technology to get out of the way of performance.

I don't know how well the X1 system works in terms of actual Video Processing, but I do know that paired to a DVDO Edge I see very little difference in HDTV video picture quality from what I'm seeing on a well mastered Blue Ray Disc. I was a bit wary that the Edge wouldn't make the "HDCP" handshake with the X1, but it recognized the X1 as an input source. I'm pretty impressed that "Comcast/Xfinity" is looking as great for me as it does ! This is not the same Comcast of years past, but then again neither am I the same viewer who accepted whatever performance level I was presented with as being "written in stone". I know better now !

If you want to get better performance from CC/Xfinity I think you have to develop a little Tech savvy of your own. It goes a long way in getting better results from whatever equipment you're using . Cable service companies would have you believe that you can be assured of high quality results from taking a "plug & play" attitude. The Ego of these guys cracks me up a bit (but then I remember I'm dealing with a Consumer oriented company; I'm an "Enthusiast" not a "Consumer")
post #1453 of 1635 Old 09-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

^
I don't think you need any power conditioning for a X1 System. I use zero protection and also never had a ground loop issue. The power supplies in your equipment should suffice.

post #1454 of 1635 Old 09-18-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
^
I don't think you need any power conditioning for a X1 System. I use zero protection and also never had a ground loop issue. The power supplies in your equipment should suffice.
I very rarely think in terms of using what will suffice when I talk about taking a whole System approaches to my Audio & Video systems ! (Yeah, using the ground loop issue was kind of a weak example of why I'm using "line conditioning")

He,he.he.... Eating hamburger is sufficient. but I'd much rather have a steak ! I'm not inclined to find out how well the X1 System performs without being in-line with my DVDO Edge & PSA PP. I do know that my Sony KDL 32XBR6 doesn't looking nearly as good as it does without the Edge processing whatever video signal I'm feeding it. Even the video from a Blu Ray being played though my Oppo 95 isn't as richly detailed as through the Edge (Hmmm... I should have played up what the Edge is doing; As the kids say "My Bad")

All I'm saying is I'm not "jaded" enough to believe that whatever kind of results you get from using Comcast platforms is a "Hit or Miss" situation that is totally dependent on whatever you're getting from the Comcast end of things. This is not the "Outer Limits" where they tell you not to "Touch the dial", you can affect things. You "do" have some control (If you start thinking like an "Enthusiast" not their "Customer")

This isn't "Rocket Science" or entirely "Xfinity Science" as they would have you believe !
post #1455 of 1635 Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=jimv1983;46795913]I never implied that. I specifically said the compression happens before it leaves the head end. And like I said the pizza place has a great picture so the compression can't be that bad.

Quote:
The signal that leaves the head end is the same but something could be happening between the head end and my node or between my node and my house.
It's a digital signal. It either gets there or it doesn't. What's different is once it hits the electronics in the box and TV, and how it is processed, scaled, transmitted, and delayed in each of those.

Quote:
So please, tell what else it could possibly be?
It has to be something in the box or the TV, assuming that you are looking at the same program on the same channel at the same time (record it at home while you are at the pizza place?). Also, the larger and better the TV is, the worse it will look. There's all sorts of crap I can see on my 65" UHD TV that I couldn't see on my 60" HDTV, and I certainly would be totally oblivious to on my 22" and 19" TVs (which I mostly listen to anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by newStevea View Post
I very rarely think in terms of using what will suffice when I talk about taking a whole System approaches to my Audio & Video systems ! (Yeah, using the ground loop issue was kind of a weak example of why I'm using "line conditioning")
That's an interesting way of thinking, in terms of getting the max out of Comcast that you can. That being said, if you can, I'd just get DirecTV, as you will never get as good of a picture out of Comcast as you will with a DirecTV box hooked up directly to your TV. Video processors do some really amazing stuff, I've seen my DVDO EDGE really clean things up, but at some point, it's garbage in and garbage out.
post #1456 of 1635 Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
It's a digital signal. It either gets there or it doesn't. What's different is once it hits the electronics in the box and TV, and how it is processed, scaled, transmitted, and delayed in each of those.

It has to be something in the box or the TV, assuming that you are looking at the same program on the same channel at the same time (record it at home while you are at the pizza place?). Also, the larger and better the TV is, the worse it will look. There's all sorts of crap I can see on my 65" UHD TV that I couldn't see on my 60" HDTV, and I certainly would be totally oblivious to on my 22" and 19" TVs (which I mostly listen to anyway).
Like I already said the box has already been replaced and a different TV was tried at my home that was smaller and still showed the problem. At the pizza place the problem does not exist even on a bigger TV. I was like 7-8 feet away from a 65" TV at the pizza place and the image was crystal clear. I went home and sat 10 feet from my 55" and turned on the same channel with the same show still on. The picture was terrible. None of the TVs were UHD. And the timing shouldn't matter too much. Unless you are telling me there was a problem that was happening while I was at home, the problem was corrected while driving to the pizza place and then the problem came back on my drive home? That sounds like a pretty unlikely case to me.

So just to review:

Pizza place - a 40", a 50"(or maybe 46") and a 65" all look great.
My home - two different TVs (my 55" and the Comcast tech's 22") both look like crap. The box was replaced and it still looks like crap.

Your explanation isn't explaining the results I'm seeing.

So again, if it's not the signal(which looks great at the pizza place), it's not the box since it has been replaced already and it's not the TV since a smaller TV at my home produced the same issue while a larger TV at the pizza place was great then what is it?
post #1457 of 1635 Old 09-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Jim V 1983, the mystery continues...

Seems you have eliminated 'everything' as a possibility and left with the set of possible causes being "nullset". Ugh!
Maybe there is a wrong assumption, a wrong test methodology, or a result was not observed/interpreted correctly.

Btw, do you have a convenient UHF-loop-antenna and usable OTA-tuner, enough to get any one local HD channel?
How does your DTV/setup do in rendering an HD image from a local affiliate via antenna/ATSC? If yes, maybe try it during locally-originated in-studio TV-news broadcast.

Long shot idea. Is the input cable shield grounded properly - could it be floating or charged with a "60 cycle hum"?
is there a nonzero AC or DC voltage from the cable shield to true ground, using a multimeter? There should be zero volts AC & DC there.
Skytrooper likes this.

Last edited by tveli; 09-19-2016 at 12:47 PM.
post #1458 of 1635 Old 09-19-2016, 01:40 PM

[quote=BiggAW;46892345]
Quote:
I never implied that. I specifically said the compression happens before it leaves the head end. And like I said the pizza place has a great picture so the compression can't be that bad.

That's an interesting way of thinking, in terms of getting the max out of Comcast that you can. That being said, if you can, I'd just get DirecTV, as you will never get as good of a picture out of Comcast as you will with a DirecTV box hooked up directly to your TV. Video processors do some really amazing stuff, I've seen my DVDO EDGE really clean things up, but at some point, it's garbage in and garbage out.
Hmmm... about 20years or so ago I was a Direct TV customer for a while but I just wasn't that practical to have the HD sat dish in the location it needed to be for superior reception of the HD feeds. At about this same time period I began noticing significant improvement in my local Comcast reception. Even at this time "Garbage out" reception was almost completely a thing of the past.

When I did purchase my DVDO Edge it had already been several years that I'd been using Comcast. My cable reception by then was consistently very solid ,but still not really trusting the quality of the CC set-top boxes I decided to use a Tivo box (which included the option of using an OTA antenna) with a cablecard. I would probably have not decided to try the Xfinity had my Tivo not developed a problem with the Cable RF input that prevented it from being able to receive the cable signal from CC/(Now Xfinity in my area). I have a secondary older Xfinity stb that I was using elsewhere that I tried to see how things would look on my set. It actually didn't look that horrible (but not being able to make the HDCP handshake with the Edge the PQ would have been a step backwards from what I was getting using the 1080P processed signal from the Tivo). It was still far, far from being anything nearly bearing any resemblance to "Garbage" (& I'm picky).

Long story,short the X1 turned out to be "Shockingly Better" than I expected it to be for the fact it is indeed compatible with the Edge. The X1 doesn't allow me to attach an OTA antenna to it,but as good as the Network reception currently is I don't miss it ! (I may re-install the Tivo for dedicated OTA use but am in no hurry to do so !

It may very well be a regional issue that is at play for how your Xfinity/Comcast reception is . It may have nothing to do with Technical issues that are the causing issues ,but how qualified each Regional Xfinity/CC are to carry out all the needed services. I would go nowhere near Comcast if this was how my local carrier operated !

(It is pretty entertaining that you did mention anything about "GiGo" though ; It's a wildly broad assumption that Comcast is automatically flawed regardless of where you're at:& you know what they say about making assumptions)
post #1459 of 1635 Old 09-19-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... about 20years or so ago I was a Direct TV customer for a while but I just wasn't that practical to have the HD sat dish in the location it needed to be for superior reception of the HD feeds. At about this same time period I began noticing significant improvement in my local Comcast reception. Even at this time "Garbage out" reception was almost completely a thing of the past.

When I did purchase my DVDO Edge it had already been several years that I'd been using Comcast. My cable reception by then was consistently very solid ,but still not really trusting the quality of the CC set-top boxes I decided to use a Tivo box (which included the option of using an OTA antenna) with a cablecard. I would probably have not decided to try the Xfinity had my Tivo not developed a problem with the Cable RF input that prevented it from being able to receive the cable signal from CC/(Now Xfinity in my area). I have a secondary older Xfinity stb that I was using elsewhere that I tried to see how things would look on my set. It actually didn't look that horrible (but not being able to make the HDCP handshake with the Edge the PQ would have been a step backwards from what I was getting using the 1080P processed signal from the Tivo). It was still far, far from being anything nearly bearing any resemblance to "Garbage" (& I'm picky).

Long story,short the X1 turned out to be "Shockingly Better" than I expected it to be for the fact it is indeed compatible with the Edge. The X1 doesn't allow me to attach an OTA antenna to it,but as good as the Network reception currently is I don't miss it ! (I may re-install the Tivo for dedicated OTA use but am in no hurry to do so !

It may very well be a regional issue that is at play for how your Xfinity/Comcast reception is . It may have nothing to do with Technical issues that are the causing issues ,but how qualified each Regional Xfinity/CC are to carry out all the needed services. I would go nowhere near Comcast if this was how my local carrier operated !

(It is pretty entertaining that you did mention anything about "GiGo" though ; It's a wildly broad assumption that Comcast is automatically flawed regardless of where you're at:& you know what they say about making assumptions)
If it was a regional issue for me I would expect that my entire town would be impacted. That is not the case. As I mentioned in some of my previous comments the pizza place 2 miles from my home doesn't have the problem. That pizza place gets its signal from the same head end as my home. The signal comes from the same place.

Also, what is a "DVDO Edge"?
post #1460 of 1635 Old 09-19-2016, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

tveli had some good suggestions.

post #1461 of 1635 Old 09-19-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
If it was a regional issue for me I would expect that my entire town would be impacted. That is not the case. As I mentioned in some of my previous comments the pizza place 2 miles from my home doesn't have the problem. That pizza place gets its signal from the same head end as my home. The signal comes from the same place.

Also, what is a "DVDO Edge"?
I have to be honest & say I'm unable to offer anymore insight as to what might possibly be of help for your particular issue. I was more or less only relaying my current dealings with Comcast .

The DVDO Edge is (I believe) a discontinued Video Processor from Anchor Bay. New it was priced at about $800 by the time I bought one it was about $500 (So I jumped at it) . It has to be the best $500 piece of Video (or Audio) equipment I've ever spent. The Oppo universal players (Blu ray,SACD,etc) have Anchor Bay processing circuitry included in them.

The "Video processing engine" inside of the Edge is more than likely better than what you'll encounter inside of just about any display or player or (easily much better than) any set-top box you're likely to find!
post #1462 of 1635 Old 09-20-2016, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Comcast Nears Launch of Beta Trial of Netflix on X1

Comcast said it will begin to integrate Netflix on its X1 platform “[i]n the next few days” as a beta that will appear in the “Comcast Labs” section that provides access to apps and services prior to their wide commercial launch.

In a joint blog post, the Comcast and Netflix engineering teams noted that Netflix fare, including original and licensed series such as Stranger Things and Breaking Bad, will be accessible alongside Comcast’s live TV and VOD content as well as a customer's DVR recordings.

Comcast and Netflix announced the integration deal in July, putting forth plans to offer the popular OTT service on X1 later in 2016.

X1 customers will be alerted by Comcast when they’ve been added to the Beta Program. From there, customers who are part of the trial will be able to opt-in via the Comcast Labs area, access the Netflix app and log in with their credentials or sign-up for Netflix directly through X1. They’ll make a “bigger announcement” when Netflix officially launches on X1.

“The Netflix Beta Program has been a major effort for teams at both companies, so we’re rolling out a beta to ensure it works smoothly before we formally launch it to millions of X1 customers later this year.”

Comcast said company chairman and CEO Brian Roberts plans to demo the X1/Netflix experience when he speaks Tuesday (September 20) at 8 a.m. ET at the Goldman Sachs 2016 Communacopia Conference.

They added that the integrated experience will take advantage of the “core foundtional elments of the X1 platform,” such as universal search, natural language processing, IP processing and cloud-based infrastructure. Netflix content, for example, will be tied into the X1’s voice remote/navigation system.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/con...flix-x1/407835
post #1463 of 1635 Old 09-20-2016, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast Will Go Wireless in 2017

Comcast announced today that it will launch a new wireless service in 2017, taking advantage of an MVNO agreement signed with Verizon in 2012 and the cable company's own footprint of WiFi hotspots around the country.

Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK)'s wireless plans have been the subject of speculation since the operator activated its MVNO agreement with Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ) last year, but today's announcement was still a surprise given the specificity on timing and the confirmation that the wireless offering will combine cellular and WiFi connectivity. CEO Brian Roberts shared the news at the Goldman Sachs Communacopia Conference, stating that Comcast will launch the integrated wireless product around the middle of next year.

Comcast has 28 million customers, and at least 70-80% of them buy a multi-package bundle, Roberts said, describing those multi-package bundle buyers as Comcast's "very best customers." Wireless access will give Comcast the ability to sell even more services to those customers.
Roberts said he expects the wireless product will produce "reduced churn, with more stickiness, with better satisfaction, more product purchasing from us," as it combines Verizon's wireless product with Comcast's 15 million WiFi hotspots.

The cable industry can cite a litany of wireless failures over the years with names like Freewheel, Clearwire and Pivot. However, Comcast is approaching its latest wireless attempt with great care and with some significant new assets in hand. While the vast majority of the company's 15 million or so hotspots are home hotspots -- where a home router supports both a private network ID and a public one for guests -- tens if not hundreds of thousands are public hotspots with many users, proving that Comcast can operate a wireless hotspot network at scale.

Equally important, Comcast's far-flung wireline footprint means the company can continue to add wireless access points with relative ease. The local backhaul capacity provided by fixed-line networks is the most expensive part of trying to extend wireless service, and Comcast already has that foundation in place. (See Analysts More Than Bullish on Comcast MVNO.)

For now, it appears that Comcast will rely entirely on Verizon's network to fill out the cellular portion of its wireless offering, but importantly, Comcast has also confirmed that it's participating in the latest spectrum auction hosted by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) . The cable company could ultimately supplement the Verizon network with its own spectrum holdings, or even gradually move away from the Verizon network entirely.

There are still a number of questions to settle about Comcast's wireless service before it launches next year. Will there be automatic roaming between cellular and WiFi networks? What selection of phones will Comcast make available? Will Comcast partner with other cable companies including Charter Communications Inc. to further extend its WiFi footprint nationally?

As of today, Roberts says there are more than 100 people working on the initiative under the leadership of Greg Butz, who was promoted to president of Comcast Mobile in July. \
More to come in the months ahead.

Comcast's WiFi plans follows news Monday that the company is rolling out Netflix on the its X1 video platform.

http://www.lightreading.com/cable/ca...d/d-id/726237?
post #1464 of 1635 Old 09-20-2016, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Like I already said the box has already been replaced and a different TV was tried at my home that was smaller and still showed the problem. At the pizza place the problem does not exist even on a bigger TV. I was like 7-8 feet away from a 65" TV at the pizza place and the image was crystal clear. I went home and sat 10 feet from my 55" and turned on the same channel with the same show still on. The picture was terrible. None of the TVs were UHD. And the timing shouldn't matter too much. Unless you are telling me there was a problem that was happening while I was at home, the problem was corrected while driving to the pizza place and then the problem came back on my drive home? That sounds like a pretty unlikely case to me.
I don't know what to tell you. For the timing, it depends on what it was stat multiplexed against.

[quote=newStevea;46901601]
Quote:
Yeah, you're kind of hosed if you can't put a dish up. Not sure if you guys needed 119, but most markets now only need 99c/101/103c, including here in Hartford-New Haven. If you're in the NYC or Philly DMA, you only ever needed 101 though.

Quote:
That's a weird issue with the other box.

Quote:
The DVDO Edge is (I believe) a discontinued Video Processor from Anchor Bay. New it was priced at about $800 by the time I bought one it was about $500 (So I jumped at it) . It has to be the best $500 piece of Video (or Audio) equipment I've ever spent. The Oppo universal players (Blu ray,SACD,etc) have Anchor Bay processing circuitry included in them.

The "Video processing engine" inside of the Edge is more than likely better than what you'll encounter inside of just about any display or player or (easily much better than) any set-top box you're likely to find!
It's a pretty cool device, and it does some aspect ratio, lip sync, and other correction in addition to the video processing, which has some adjustments. Mine is kind of temperamental at times, but it does improve the picture quality, so I'll keep it around until I get DirecTV, and have a 4k connection from a C61k to my JS850D Samsung 4k TV. I believe it's the best in it's price range, but I'd imagine a Lumagen Radiance would do significantly better, and can scale to 2160p.
post #1465 of 1635 Old 09-20-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you. For the timing, it depends on what it was stat multiplexed against.
I'm not sure what "stat mulitplex" means but I don't see how the problem could be resolved while I'm not home but always be an issue when I am home.

Quote:
It's a pretty cool device, and it does some aspect ratio, lip sync, and other correction in addition to the video processing, which has some adjustments. Mine is kind of temperamental at times, but it does improve the picture quality, so I'll keep it around until I get DirecTV, and have a 4k connection from a C61k to my JS850D Samsung 4k TV. I believe it's the best in it's price range, but I'd imagine a Lumagen Radiance would do significantly better, and can scale to 2160p.
I wonder if a device like this would make a difference for my issue. Apparently the DVDO EDGE is discontinued. Are there any similar units I could try?
post #1466 of 1635 Old 09-20-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
Comcast Nears Launch of Beta Trial of Netflix on X1

Comcast said it will begin to integrate Netflix on its X1 platform “[i]n the next few days” as a beta that will appear in the “Comcast Labs” section that provides access to apps and services prior to their wide commercial launch.

In a joint blog post, the Comcast and Netflix engineering teams noted that Netflix fare, including original and licensed series such as Stranger Things and Breaking Bad, will be accessible alongside Comcast’s live TV and VOD content as well as a customer's DVR recordings.

Comcast and Netflix announced the integration deal in July, putting forth plans to offer the popular OTT service on X1 later in 2016.

X1 customers will be alerted by Comcast when they’ve been added to the Beta Program. From there, customers who are part of the trial will be able to opt-in via the Comcast Labs area, access the Netflix app and log in with their credentials or sign-up for Netflix directly through X1. They’ll make a “bigger announcement” when Netflix officially launches on X1.

“The Netflix Beta Program has been a major effort for teams at both companies, so we’re rolling out a beta to ensure it works smoothly before we formally launch it to millions of X1 customers later this year.”

Comcast said company chairman and CEO Brian Roberts plans to demo the X1/Netflix experience when he speaks Tuesday (September 20) at 8 a.m. ET at the Goldman Sachs 2016 Communacopia Conference.

They added that the integrated experience will take advantage of the “core foundtional elments of the X1 platform,” such as universal search, natural language processing, IP processing and cloud-based infrastructure. Netflix content, for example, will be tied into the X1’s voice remote/navigation system.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/con...flix-x1/407835
If the picture quality of Netflix coming out of the Comcast X1 box is as bad as the regular cable picture I'll stick with my Chromecast.
post #1467 of 1635 Old 09-20-2016, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If the picture quality of Netflix coming out of the Comcast X1 box is as bad as the regular cable picture I'll stick with my Chromecast.
The quality Netflix should be the same as internet viewing. However I don't think the current X1 box can provide Netflix 4K content. I assume that won't happen until the Xi6 is released.
post #1468 of 1635 Old 09-20-2016, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2205 Post(s)
Liked: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
The quality Netflix should be the same as internet viewing. However I don't think the current X1 box can provide Netflix 4K content. I assume that won't happen until the Xi6 is released.
And the X1 doesn't do 24fps either if I'm not mistaken, much of Netlix's content is available in the 24fps format.
post #1469 of 1635 Old 09-21-2016, 06:29 AM

[quote=BiggAW;46933497]I don't know what to tell you. For the timing, it depends on what it was stat multiplexed against.

Quote:

Yeah, you're kind of hosed if you can't put a dish up. Not sure if you guys needed 119, but most markets now only need 99c/101/103c, including here in Hartford-New Haven. If you're in the NYC or Philly DMA, you only ever needed 101 though.

That's a weird issue with the other box.

He,he.he, If you're talking about the Edge's "temperament" at times recognizing new inputs, that's exactly what happened yesterday when I was putting my Tivo back inline with the other two active inputs, (X1 & Oppo 95BDP), I'm running through it.

Now that the Tivo is minus the Comcast cablecard I was using in it , I had to repeat the "Assisted Setup" to reconfigure the box. I had to run the HDMI (from the Tivo) directly to my TV to do this . It was only after it was reconfigured to operate as just an OTA box, that the Edge would recognize it as a new input after re-attaching the HDMI to it.

I think it may have had something to do with the Tivo box having to be reactivated by the Tivo Service before it will pass the HDCP
signal thru the HDMI cable. (At least I think that's why the connection issue was resolved)

(Sorry about going off the thread topic a bit; I did mention that I'd be using a CC card in it though) (So you don't need to find the 119 sat location in the Philly/S.J area anymore ? Nah, my Dad has to have his local Comcast Sportsnet & I guess I'm pretty lucky that my CC reception appears to be completely different than it may have been at one time)
post #1470 of 1635 Old 09-21-2016, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Not long ago Comcast was slowing the Netflix speed til a agreement was reached. Now they are going to integrate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page