Comcast Technology Topic - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 130Likes

post #1621 of 1685 Old 02-03-2017, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 2241
From Ars Technica,

Comcast confirms there will be an additional charge for using your Roku device.

Quote:
(UPDATE: Comcast responded to us and confirmed that Roku devices will be treated similarly to CableCard devices in terms of pricing. Customers who use a Roku as a "primary outlet" after the beta is over will get a $2.50 credit on their bill; the "primary outlet" isn't an itemized fee but is included as part of paying for a TV subscription. Using a Roku as an "additional outlet" will cost $9.95, but the $2.50 credit will lower the price to $7.45. Xfinity TV app access on phones and tablets does not cost extra.)

https://arstechnica.com/information-...on-roku-boxes/
P.S. The comments are well worth reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1685 Old 02-03-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 66
There have been reports that the audio is just stereo.

It is just a beta app, however, and bugs and tweaks abound. Some of the things already planned include Watchlist, Favorite Channels, HD channel filter and improvements to "Recently Watched."

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #1623 of 1685 Old 02-03-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post
There have been reports that the audio is just stereo.

It is just a beta app, however, and bugs and tweaks abound. Some of the things already planned include Watchlist, Favorite Channels, HD channel filter and improvements to "Recently Watched."
It is just 2 channel PCM stereo, at least the channels were that I viewed in the brief time I played with it yesterday.

post #1624 of 1685 Old 02-03-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't really played around with it that much yet. I've had it going and keeping an eye on it while doing other stuff and so far it's seemed fine for live viewing. Perhaps this weekend I'll try watching some recorded and some OnDemand stuff. I was planning on using it on another TV until the Not Free After Beta bit came up. If it was only going to be 2 or 3 bux, okay. If $7.49 as suggested, I'll pass.
Keenan likes this.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #1625 of 1685 Old 02-04-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Played around with the app a bit more this morning, and I was pleasantly surprised. I've had none of the issues that some have reported, such as audio sync, pixelization, video or audio stuttering, constant buffering, etc.

I watched both recorded content and VOD content with no issues. I was quite surprised at the responsiveness of the remote for rewind, pause, playback, and fast forward. I thoroughly expected a lag from when I pressed the button to when it did as I asked. The response was immediate. Actually, compared to my DVR, the response was better.

I can record, too.

It's a beta, so of course it still has a ways to go in order to be a finished product. But, it definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

While I do have a TV I could use this on, if the fee is going to be more than $2 or $3, I'll pass. I watch/record all of my local stuff OTA anyway.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Last edited by egnlsn; 02-04-2017 at 11:45 AM.
post #1626 of 1685 Old 02-08-2017, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 95
New CableLabs Optical Tech Promises Big Bandwidth Boost

CableLabs has a new plan to increase capacity in broadband access networks. Borrowing from technology used in long-haul optical transport, CableLabs is bringing techniques for improving optical efficiency to the part of the network that connects cable headends to fiber endpoints.

It's the second innovation project, after Full Duplex DOCSIS, that CableLabs has advanced to a research and development phase. Cable engineers believe it has the potential to increase bandwidth in the access network by as much as three orders of magnitude above current rates.

The technology CableLabs is working on is called coherent optics, and so far the organization has achieved speeds of 256 gigabits per second over a single wavelength while testing coherent optics in a lab environment. Engineers have also combined eight wavelengths using coherent optics, resulting in top speeds of more than 2 terabits per second in the lab. As the technology develops further, researchers predict that it could deliver up to a thousand times more capacity than the analog optics used in many cable networks today.

So how does it work? In a non-coherent optical system, information is transmitted by switching a laser source on or off. A coherent optical system, however, uses four dimensions to transmit information: amplitude and phase modulation, as well as separation across two polarizations.

This significantly improves optical efficiency and subsequently overall bandwidth capacity.

The technology behind coherent optics isn't new, but CableLabs is adapting it for the access network. Transmission distances are much shorter in the access network than in long-haul links, and operators can push fiber deep enough so that no amplifiers are needed to boost signals. The combination of shorter distances and no amplification means less signal dispersion, non-linear distortion and general noise. That, in turn, makes implementation of coherent optics in the access network significantly less complicated, and should ultimately make it less expensive than applying the technology in long-haul transport connections as well.

The good news with coherent optics is that it doesn't require any changes to fiber already deployed. The only change needed is at an optical endpoint, like an optical node or base station. The technology is also well suited for distributed access architectures (DAA) and node-plus-zero (N+0) deployments. The more capacity operators can deliver to that last node, the more options they have for extending high-bandwidth services to a diversity of targets leading off of that node.

CableLabs Distinguished Technologist Alberto Campos also emphasizes that coherent optics is not limited to network type. "This technology is not just for cable. It's for access [networks], any type of access," says Campos. Although the cable industry is where the initial work is beginning, it will also be shared with the broader telecom community.

CableLabs VP of Wired Technologies Dr. Curtis Knittle adds that coherent optics technology for the access network is being designed with software defined networking (SDN) and network functions virtualization (NFV) in mind.

"As operators start to deploy this, and as they're deploying SDN and NFV solutions, we intend to make it amenable to those new SDN/NFV architectures," says Knittle.

Now that CableLabs has moved coherent optics on to the research and development phase, the next step is to set up a working group within the organization; something that is likely to take place in May or June. Following the R&D phase, CableLabs expects to start developing formal specifications.

http://www.lightreading.com/gigabit/...d/d-id/730168?
post #1627 of 1685 Old 02-09-2017, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I have Comcast Cable. For years I had their Motorola HD DVR box. I thought the picture quality was pretty excellent for a cable source. For a few weeks I was getting a message from the box saying I needed to update my equipment or I would lose HD channels.

I upgraded to xfiniity x1 today and the picture quality is a very big downgrade in quality from the older box. Now it almost looks like standard DVD quality. It's pretty bad.

Does anyone know why this is? And what my options may be to improve picture? In display settings on the box I have it set to 1080i. There is no longer a Native option. I'm pretty disappointed with the x1 picture quality. Whish I never switched.

Thanks for any help
post #1628 of 1685 Old 02-09-2017, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V. Cassidy View Post
I have Comcast Cable. For years I had their Motorola HD DVR box. I thought the picture quality was pretty excellent for a cable source. For a few weeks I was getting a message from the box saying I needed to update my equipment or I would lose HD channels.

I upgraded to xfiniity x1 today and the picture quality is a very big downgrade in quality from the older box. Now it almost looks like standard DVD quality. It's pretty bad.

Does anyone know why this is? And what my options may be to improve picture? In display settings on the box I have it set to 1080i. There is no longer a Native option. I'm pretty disappointed with the x1 picture quality. Whish I never switched.

Thanks for any help
In theory the X1 should give you the same or better quality picture. I have the my X1 DVR hooked up to a 65" 4K TV and get an excellent picture (I still am not on MPEG-4). Since MPEG-4 encoded programs are transmitted at 720P I suggest switching your box to 720P to see if it helps. Unfortunately many people have reported when Comcast switched over to MPEG-4 the picture quality has decreased. If you are unhappy with the picture quality I suggest you call Comcast and complain, hopefully they will get the message and fix the problem.
post #1629 of 1685 Old 02-09-2017, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Arris Builds Next-Gen TiVo

Steve Donohue Gear, News
A super DVR that Arris and TiVo are building for deployment on U.S. cable systems has passed emission tests at the FCC, according to a document obtained by The Donohue Report on Tuesday.

“The ARRIS DCX905 is an IP Video Gateway (next-gen, set-top technology). It is a high-definition set-top with multiple 1 GHz tuners that support both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC services. The all-digital DCX905 includes the latest audio and video output interfaces, including HDMI, Award-winning Dolby Digital Plus audio and Dolby Volume Leveling. With the included MoCA home networking, the DCX905 provides the flexibility to serve as a multimedia client for accessing content from other compatible devices in the home. An embedded DOCSIS 2.0+ cable modem provides support for DSG and downstream channel bonding,” Arris states in an FCC test report.

The box contains the GP501 ZigBee home automation chip from GreenPeak Technologies, which was acquired by Greensboro, N.C.-based Qorvo Inc. last year.

Arris and TiVo announced in May 2015 a partnership to build next-gen customer premise equipment for service providers. The companies said last year that the first product from their collaboration would be “the DCX3635 Video Gateway with TiVo. The DCX3635 features 6 video tuners with 8 DOCSIS downstream channels, carries 1TB of onboard storage, and is capable of supporting dual simultaneous HD video transcoding sessions. What it means for consumers is their media, on their terms: the flexibility to enjoy both broadcast and digital TV, virtually anytime and anywhere—with enough storage to record 150 hours of HD programming.”

http://donohuereport.com/arris-builds-next-gen-tivo/
post #1630 of 1685 Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Recently there are news reports about Comcast dropping their factually-correct claim of "fastest internet": http://fortune.com/2017/02/09/comcas...ernet-america/

Comcast's internet is faster than Verizon's FIOS internet and all fiber-based internet service, because electrical signals in coax cable always propagate faster than light propagates in a fiber. This is a due to physical law.

Verizon's ads are correct that their network speed is "the speed of light", but they don't mention *which* speed of light, or that their network speed is always slower than Comcast's electrical signals in copper/coax.

As for the speed of wifi signal propagation, I doubt any vendors is any faster than any other, as the radio signals will traverse at the same speed through the same air regardless of vendor.

Fwiw...
markrubin and efball like this.
post #1631 of 1685 Old 02-10-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 238
TEE HEE....thanks for the Giggle.....

For those who missed the joke, the Internet "Speed" claims were actually about DATA RATE SPEEDS....
tveli likes this.
post #1632 of 1685 Old 02-11-2017, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I just ordered Directv. I'll be paying $170 less for the same channels. Wow. I want to cancel my Comcast Cable but keep Comcast Internet. This is possible right? I imagine they'll give me a hard time, but still doable right?
post #1633 of 1685 Old 02-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V. Cassidy View Post
I just ordered Directv. I'll be paying $170 less for the same channels. Wow. I want to cancel my Comcast Cable but keep Comcast Internet. This is possible right? I imagine they'll give me a hard time, but still doable right?
Doable, but you lose the bundled price for it. Depending on the speed you need, expect to be out $50-$100/mo.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1634 of 1685 Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Doable, but you lose the bundled price for it. Depending on the speed you need, expect to be out $50-$100/mo.

I just did same thing. Had X1 preferred double play two tvs. 138.00 per month. Ditched the TV went with DTV choice package at 64.00 for four rooms and changed internet only to extreme 150 for 59.99. No issues. Had to talk to retention for the 150 deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-55A1E, LG OLED 65G6P, LG 55EF9500
Anthem AVM 60, Anthem MRX720
Oppo UDP-203, Sony UBP-X800
Dynaudio Focus 210C/260, Dynaudio DM Center/2/6, Dynaudio IC17, Dynaudio Studio S4-W80
AT 44-DA
SVS SB16-Ultra
post #1635 of 1685 Old 02-15-2017, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast to Launch 'Xfinity Stream' App
Feb. 28 to Xfinity TV Subscribers

Successor to the Xfinity TV app brings Xfinity X1 functionality, including a Spanish guide, filtering, music channels and Common Sense media ratings. In the home, users can watch their entire TV line-up on phones, tablets and laptops. On-the-go: 200+ live channels are available, along with remote DVR access and 40,000 On Demand titles.

PHILADELPHIA, PA

Comcast today announced plans to launch "Xfinity Stream," an app available to all Xfinity TV customers at no additional cost on devices in and out of the home. The app, which can be downloaded by Xfinity TV customers without charge, will allow users to watch their entire TV line-up on phones, tablets and laptops in the home, and when they’re on-the-go, to tune-in to more than 200 live channels, access and program their DVR and watch 40,000 on demand titles.
Related Slideshow

VIEW SLIDESHOW Xfinity Stream App View Slideshow

"We’re focused on creating the best entertainment experiences across platforms and continuing to give Xfinity TV customers more choice in how, when and where they access their content," said Matt Strauss, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Video and Entertainment Services at Comcast Cable. "With the Xfinity Stream app, we are giving customers access to the best content in and out of the home with a growing list of advanced features and capabilities that make the mobile experience nearly identical to the cable experience they enjoy at home."
The Xfinity Stream app, the successor to the Xfinity TV app, includes the ability to switch to a Spanish guide, favorite channel filtering, music channels and Common Sense Media reviews and ratings, offering users an X1-like experience for customers’ phones, tablets and laptops in and out of the home.

• Live TV and Xfinity On Demand: In addition to becoming an additional screen in the home for Xfinity TV cable customers to access live and on demand programming, Xfinity Stream also gives them access to more than 200 live channels over the Internet outside the home, including sports networks such as ESPN, Fox Sports and NBC Sports; news networks such as Fox News, MSNBC, CNN and BBC World News; kids networks like Nick Jr., Disney Channel and Sprout; 50 Music Choice channels, as well as a host of other top cable and premium networks. The app also offers more than 40,000 on demand movies and TV shows to stream on the go, as well as thousands of download choices for offline viewing.
  • DVR Recordings On the Go: Xfinity TV customers can take their entire DVR collection with them to stream on the go, or even download to watch while offline. They can also use the app to set recordings remotely.
  • First Screen Experiences on Devices: The Xfinity Stream app will bring an X1-like experience to customers with new and enhanced features like the ability to search content by categories such as audience or critics score,stream 50+ Music Choice channels in-the-home and on-the-go, access Common Sense Media ratings and reviews and customize their parental controls per device.
  • Spanish Guide and Accessibility Enhancements: Comcast’s bi-cultural customers will have the option to navigate the app in their language of choice - Spanish or English – as well as enable English programming that offers a secondary audio feed in Spanish. Those customers with vision impairments can also enable video description - a narration track included between the natural pauses in dialogue that describes the visual elements – on select movies and TV shows.

Customers will be able to download the Xfinity Stream app for iOS and Android devices on February 28. Customers who have already installed the latest version of the Xfinity TV app on their devices will see it transition to the Stream app through an app update on February 28.

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-in...tv-subscribers
post #1636 of 1685 Old 02-15-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The existing app is almost worthless.
One way I will use it is to make use of Chromecast's ability to mirror the screen from laptop to TV screen, and its ability to mirror some cell phone screens. When they use the word "laptop", I assume they mean any PC.
post #1637 of 1685 Old 02-15-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Questions about X-1 service

If I am in wrong place to post this- I apologize.

1. Is X-1 picture better or worse than "DVR"?
2. Can you get X-1 by itself w.o. phone and w.o. internet from Comcast? Our condo bldg. has hi speed internet from Google? (Oakland)
3. At our other home we do have internet from Comcast. 2 DVRs and a DTA. Would getting X-1 save us money? (Miami)
4. I read in some post that Comcast now has no more new DVRs for customers - just used ("refurbished") boxes. Is that true in all areas.
post #1638 of 1685 Old 02-15-2017, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
One way I will use it is to make use of Chromecast's ability to mirror the screen from laptop to TV screen, and its ability to mirror some cell phone screens. When they use the word "laptop", I assume they mean any PC.
I actually like the current app quite a bit. It's useful using the phone or tablet as an additional screen. I've found performance of the app to be quite good.

With the terribly over-compressed picture of the channels coming through the DVR, I find myself now preferring to watch many channels (the ones that aren't over-compressed) on my iPhone or iPad. It sucks though that I have to resort to this though.
post #1639 of 1685 Old 02-15-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I am in wrong place to post this- I apologize.

1. Is X-1 picture better or worse than "DVR"?
2. Can you get X-1 by itself w.o. phone and w.o. internet from Comcast? Our condo bldg. has hi speed internet from Google? (Oakland)
3. At our other home we do have internet from Comcast. 2 DVRs and a DTA. Would getting X-1 save us money? (Miami)
4. I read in some post that Comcast now has no more new DVRs for customers - just used ("refurbished") boxes. Is that true in all areas.
1 -The picture quality from a Comcast DVR should be the same on the X1 DVR, however the X1 has a better 1080P upscaler.
2 - Call your local Comcast office. I believe you can now since Comcast is pushing X1.
3 - X1 should cost the same unless you can get Comcast to give you a promo.
4 - The X1 DVRs are currently being manufactured. The older legacy boxes probably are not.
markrubin and BiggAW like this.
post #1640 of 1685 Old 02-15-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
I do the same. I can mirror off of a Chromebook, it works reasonably well for casual viewing of news/talk types of shows while I'm doing chores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
4 - The X1 DVRs are currently being manufactured. The older legacy boxes probably are not.
On a Moto system I don't think they've made DCX3400's for a while, and the DCT's and DCH's that were phased out with MPEG-4 haven't been made for about 10 years.
post #1641 of 1685 Old 02-15-2017, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The current X1 TV Android app cannot be mirrored (using my Samsung Galaxy S5). It would be interesting to see if the new app will allow mirroring.
post #1642 of 1685 Old 03-04-2017, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast to Launch YouTube on Xfinity X1

Comcast and Google today announced a deal that will launch the YouTube app on XFINITY X1 across the country later this year. X1 customers will be able to easily browse and seamlessly access over the Internet the entire YouTube catalog of billions of videos alongside the live, on demand, DVR and web programming included with their XFINITY TV subscription.

X1 customers will be able to access YouTube in the Apps and Networks sections of X1, and via featured YouTube content that will be integrated throughout XFINITY On Demand. And for the first time, YouTube viewers will enjoy universal voice control with the X1 voice remote and be able to access YouTube content in the following ways:

• Launch the YouTube app by simply saying “YouTube” into the X1 voice remote.

• Browse featured YouTube content alongside other On Demand movies and shows.

• Search for movie trailers or TV show clips by saying, “Show me Adam Levine clips from ‘The Voice’ on YouTube,“ or “YouTube,
    find ‘The LEGO Movie’ trailer.”

• Access hundreds of thousands of music videos by saying,
    “Show me Ariana Grande videos on YouTube,” or “Watch Katy
    Perry’s ‘Chained to the Rhythm’ on YouTube.”

• Watch the world’s best gamers face off by saying, “YouTube,
    Launch League of Legends Championship Series.”

• Search the latest videos from your favorite personalities by
    saying, “Show me Ellen Degeneres on YouTube,” or “YouTube,
    Logan Paul videos.”

• Or search millions of user-generated videos like dinner recipes
    and workout routines by saying, “YouTube, show me chicken
    recipes,” or "Find yoga videos on YouTube.”

Once launched, X1 customers will be able to browse and access YouTube’s massive collection of digital content, including gaming videos, eSports content, music clips, fitness videos, daily vlogs from YouTube creators, entertainment clips, and real-time trending news, sports and viral videos. Current X1 and YouTube customers will also have the ability to sign in when accessing YouTube on X1 and readily access their personalized settings and subscriptions.

When will YouTube on XFINITY X1 be available?
YouTube app on XFINITY X1 across the country later this year.

Will I have to pay for the YouTube on XFINITY X1?
This service will be available to customers with an X1 XFINITY TV subscription at no additional charge.

How does YouTube on XFINITY X1 work?

• X1 customers will be able to access YouTube in the Apps and Networks sections of X1, and via featured YouTube content that will be integrated throughout XFINITY On Demand.

• For the first time, YouTube viewers will enjoy universal voice control with the X1 voice remote and be able to access YouTube content.

• X1 customers will be able to browse and access YouTube’s massive collection of digital content, including gaming videos, eSports content, music clips, fitness videos, daily vlogs from YouTube creators, entertainment clips, and real-time trending news, sports and viral videos.

• Current X1 and YouTube customers will also have the ability to sign in when accessing YouTube on X1 and readily access their personalized settings and subscriptions.
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Comc...1/td-p/2874247
post #1643 of 1685 Old 03-04-2017, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast Bumps ‘Performance’ Speeds In Batch of Markets

Free speed boost for tier extended to subs in Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Utah, Houston and Tucson

Comcast confirmed that it has raised the speeds of its Performance Internet tier in several markets, including Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Utah, Houston, and Tucson, Ariz.
The free increase raises max download speeds from 50 Mbps to up to 70 Mbps.

The upgrade became active on March 1. To get the faster speeds, customers on that tier will need to restart their modems when Comcast notifies them that the upgrade is available.

Comcast said it will also notify customers if they need to get a new modem to receive the speed bump. Those who lease modems from the MSO can receive upgraded modems for no additional cost, and those who own their own modems and need to upgrade them to get the faster speeds will need to buy a new one or lease a device from Comcast.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/cab...markets/411262
post #1644 of 1685 Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast: Our Network's Ready for 5G

Calling the overlay "uncanny," Comcast Cable CEO Neil Smit took the opportunity at Deutsche Bank's 25th Annual Media & Telecom Conference today to share the company's view on how well Comcast's current network footprint maps to the expected backhaul requirements of future 5G deployments.

Smit told the investor audience at the Deutsche Bank event that Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) has had two independent experts evaluate its fiber network to see how it could be used to service the backhaul needs of advanced 5G wireless networks. The results, said Smit, showed "excellent compatibility." Smit also emphasized that Comcast continues to add more fiber both for residential and commercial services development, meaning that additional capacity will be available for backhaul once 5G technology is ready to roll out.

"Our overlay with the 5G overlay, the network similarities are just uncanny," declared Smit, "and the ability of our network to service the 5G needs, we feel very confident with."

Deutsche Bank analyst Bryan Kraft, however, pressed Smit on whether the company's existing coaxial plant could also be used for 5G deployments. On that question, Smit was a bit more circumspect. He suggested that Comcast's coax network will continue to serve residential broadband customers well, but didn't commit to whether coax would always be suitable for 5G support.

The question of the cable industry's role in future 5G networks is one that's been kicking around for the last year or so. Wireless carriers are moving full speed ahead with 5G development, but they also know they don't have the last-mile network capacity in place today to support the traffic they expect to flow across future 5G connections. Mobile operators are building out more of their own fiber to help manage the expected backhaul needs, but those efforts alone won't be enough.

The demand for localized fixed-line infrastructure is part of what's driving the speculation that Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ) is considering a merger with one of the major cable operators. Comcast and Charter Communications Inc. , in particular, have the dense regional networks in a number of markets that carriers will need for 5G backhaul. While the idea of an actual merger with Verizon may be a long shot, those cable providers know they have a serious asset to leverage in any future wireless business negotiations.

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5...d/d-id/730854?
post #1645 of 1685 Old 03-22-2017, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast Has a New Timeline After 4K Delay

DENVER -- Cable Next-Gen Technologies & Strategies -- It's been almost two years since Comcast promised to launch its 4K UHD and HDR set-tops, yet as the first quarter of 2017 rolls to an end, those boxes are still missing in action. The question is why, and specifically, why Comcast would have marketed 4K so early without being able to deliver the set-tops necessary to make it work in most homes.

Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK)'s Joshua Seiden, executive director at Comcast Innovation Labs, offers some answers in his recounting of the company's requirements for Ultra-HD video delivery. And those requirements are significant. Comcast doesn't just want to offer a 4K UHD service, it wants that service to include high dynamic range (HDR) technology and 10 bit HEVC encoding for greater color precision.

"4K for us will always go with HDR," says Seiden, contradicting earlier Comcast plans that called for launching a 4K-only set-top followed by an HDR box. Seiden adds that Comcast also made the decision to implement 10 bit HEVC in order to deliver a premium experience with the highest possible quality of color rendering.

The problem is that serious HDR development didn’t get underway until a few years ago, and 10-bit HEVC is new enough that Comcast is having trouble getting the decoders it needs for its set-top boxes. Seiden notes that the workflow requirements for processing UHD content are also complex because Comcast is taking the highest-quality source material from its programmers and doing the transcoding and other preparation itself before making that content available.

In short, UHD TV has evolved quickly, and as a cable operator on the bleeding edge of development, Comcast has found itself adjusting its expectations for service quality as the technology has improved.

Comcast's plans appear to have changed in other ways as well. Although Comcast has shown demos of 4K UHD video over both QAM and IP networks, Seiden says that he sees the company moving forward solely with 4K over IP.

"4K HEVC almost has to be done over IP," declares Seiden, pointing out that a single 4K stream takes up almost an entire 6MHz channel in a cable network, and with QAM resources as tight as they are, that's too much bandwidth for an operator to siphon away from other operations.

Of course, over-the-top companies like Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Netflix Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) long ago committed to IP for 4K, and every other kind of video delivery. But cable operators haven't been as clear on their strategy because of their existing QAM-based systems. If Comcast truly is planning to launch 4K to the masses solely over IP, that decision also speaks to the company's commitment to transitioning many more of its customers to IP video delivery.

As for timing, the wait for Comcast's 4K UHD services may finally be coming closer to an end. According to Seiden, the company has multiple 4K set-tops in the works, but the first ones should arrive in 2017. Comcast will likely target serious 4K TV promotions nearer to the start of the 2018 Winter Olympics.

http://www.lightreading.com/video/4k.../d/d-id/731338
markrubin likes this.
post #1646 of 1685 Old 03-29-2017, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast May Go All IP by End of Year – Rumor

Put this story in the category of unexpected news out of this year's American Cable Association Summit.
On stage, in front of a full house of American Cable Association (ACA) members and a smattering of press, the CEO and president of the National Cable Television Cooperative Inc. (NCTC) revealed what he's heard about Comcast's IP plans this year. According to Rich Fickle, who was speaking on a panel with his counterparts at the ACA, Comcast will deliver IP-only video service to all new customers by the end of 2017.

Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) has not confirmed Fickle's assertion and couldn't be reached for comment before press time.
While going all-IP would be an ambitious goal for Comcast this calendar year, it wouldn't be impossible from a technical perspective. As Light Reading has reported multiple times now, Comcast has the capability to deliver all of its video content over IP today. The issue holding Comcast back, and indeed all of the cable industry, is a large footprint of legacy set-top boxes. However, as Comcast is reportedly moving forward with its IP-based Stream product, a skinny bundle service that can be accessed on mobile devices and connected TV sets, the grip of those legacy set-tops may be loosening.

Of note, the panel on which Fickle spoke was primarily focused on the regulatory and technology issues facing smaller cable operators, not the Goliath that is Comcast. However, the transition to IP video is one that affects all pay-TV providers, large, small and otherwise. Unfortunately for smaller operators, the migration to IP requires resources that many don't have to spend. As a result, the NCTC is working with over-the-top providers to see where its members can partner to offer new types of video packages that don't require an entire overhaul of the video delivery system. The organization has already signed a master agreement with Hulu LLC to make the service available through a revenue-sharing agreement with members, and is facilitating partnerships between its members and Netflix Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX). According to Fickle, the NCTC is also talking to virtual MVPD providers (think Sling TV and PlayStation Vue) and to niche OTT content providers.

http://www.lightreading.com/video/ip...d/d-id/731651?
post #1647 of 1685 Old 04-01-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So if they go all IP soon does that mean my nice HD HomeRun Prime will be useless. Getting tired of all these forced upgrades that take away gear I've bought and paid for myself. I guess when 4k comes around they'll have to upgrade my box again and the Prime will be useless at least for 4k stuff.
I suppose my paid for Phone Modem will be OK for a while I hope, haven't studied it in debt yet.
post #1648 of 1685 Old 04-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm with you dartman.
Makes me scared to buy ANYTHING new, it will probably be obsolete in the next year or two anyway.
ATSC 3.0 will brick the built-in OTA tuners in all of our TVs should it actually succeed.
Dartman likes this.
post #1649 of 1685 Old 04-01-2017, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Technology is improving by leaps and bounds every year. That's mostly a great thing, but the rate at which technologies become obsolete is scary...
post #1650 of 1685 Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post
Technology is improving by leaps and bounds every year. That's mostly a great thing, but the rate at which technologies become obsolete is scary...
HDMI is sent to us directly by the Devil.
markrubin and Mark12547 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page