Comcast Technology Topic - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 113Likes

post #1621 of 1645 Old 02-01-2017, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It's still unclear to me whether Comcast equipment will be required or not. Maybe the use of their gateway will be how they zero-rate the data usage for customers using the app, although, I don't know why they couldn't do that for just any old modem/router setup.

As far as I can tell, 'compatible' means anything that currently works with Comcast HSI. So given that, no additional Comcast equipment should be needed.
The app works for me with my own non-Comcast modem. I use TiVo and have no Comcast equipment at all.
VideoGrabber and TeeJay1952 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1645 Old 02-01-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan6 View Post
The app works for me with my own non-Comcast modem. I use TiVo and have no Comcast equipment at all.
The same here, works with no Comcast equipment at all, the question is will it remain that way?
post #1623 of 1645 Old 02-01-2017, 03:16 PM

My initial impressions of the app (had time to check it out for just a few minutes) is that the user experience like navigating the guide, changing the channels, etc. is much worse than my TiVo and I bet an X1 box as well, but this isn't really surprising. Also, PQ is not any better than the crappy down-rezzed picture coming through the STB. Also, there is no DD5.1 through the app.

post #1624 of 1645 Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 126
So if I am Using Moxie and Playon to navigate web offerings now it should stay the same if I go Roku for 4K?
(As long as they output mpeg2)
post #1625 of 1645 Old 02-03-2017, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

From Ars Technica,

Comcast confirms there will be an additional charge for using your Roku device.

Quote:
(UPDATE: Comcast responded to us and confirmed that Roku devices will be treated similarly to CableCard devices in terms of pricing. Customers who use a Roku as a "primary outlet" after the beta is over will get a $2.50 credit on their bill; the "primary outlet" isn't an itemized fee but is included as part of paying for a TV subscription. Using a Roku as an "additional outlet" will cost $9.95, but the $2.50 credit will lower the price to $7.45. Xfinity TV app access on phones and tablets does not cost extra.)

https://arstechnica.com/information-...on-roku-boxes/
P.S. The comments are well worth reading.
post #1626 of 1645 Old 02-03-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 66
There have been reports that the audio is just stereo.

It is just a beta app, however, and bugs and tweaks abound. Some of the things already planned include Watchlist, Favorite Channels, HD channel filter and improvements to "Recently Watched."

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #1627 of 1645 Old 02-03-2017, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post
There have been reports that the audio is just stereo.

It is just a beta app, however, and bugs and tweaks abound. Some of the things already planned include Watchlist, Favorite Channels, HD channel filter and improvements to "Recently Watched."
It is just 2 channel PCM stereo, at least the channels were that I viewed in the brief time I played with it yesterday.
post #1628 of 1645 Old 02-03-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't really played around with it that much yet. I've had it going and keeping an eye on it while doing other stuff and so far it's seemed fine for live viewing. Perhaps this weekend I'll try watching some recorded and some OnDemand stuff. I was planning on using it on another TV until the Not Free After Beta bit came up. If it was only going to be 2 or 3 bux, okay. If $7.49 as suggested, I'll pass.
Keenan likes this.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #1629 of 1645 Old 02-04-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Played around with the app a bit more this morning, and I was pleasantly surprised. I've had none of the issues that some have reported, such as audio sync, pixelization, video or audio stuttering, constant buffering, etc.

I watched both recorded content and VOD content with no issues. I was quite surprised at the responsiveness of the remote for rewind, pause, playback, and fast forward. I thoroughly expected a lag from when I pressed the button to when it did as I asked. The response was immediate. Actually, compared to my DVR, the response was better.

I can record, too.

It's a beta, so of course it still has a ways to go in order to be a finished product. But, it definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

While I do have a TV I could use this on, if the fee is going to be more than $2 or $3, I'll pass. I watch/record all of my local stuff OTA anyway.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Last edited by egnlsn; 02-04-2017 at 12:45 PM.
post #1630 of 1645 Old 02-08-2017, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 60
New CableLabs Optical Tech Promises Big Bandwidth Boost

CableLabs has a new plan to increase capacity in broadband access networks. Borrowing from technology used in long-haul optical transport, CableLabs is bringing techniques for improving optical efficiency to the part of the network that connects cable headends to fiber endpoints.

It's the second innovation project, after Full Duplex DOCSIS, that CableLabs has advanced to a research and development phase. Cable engineers believe it has the potential to increase bandwidth in the access network by as much as three orders of magnitude above current rates.

The technology CableLabs is working on is called coherent optics, and so far the organization has achieved speeds of 256 gigabits per second over a single wavelength while testing coherent optics in a lab environment. Engineers have also combined eight wavelengths using coherent optics, resulting in top speeds of more than 2 terabits per second in the lab. As the technology develops further, researchers predict that it could deliver up to a thousand times more capacity than the analog optics used in many cable networks today.

So how does it work? In a non-coherent optical system, information is transmitted by switching a laser source on or off. A coherent optical system, however, uses four dimensions to transmit information: amplitude and phase modulation, as well as separation across two polarizations.

This significantly improves optical efficiency and subsequently overall bandwidth capacity.

The technology behind coherent optics isn't new, but CableLabs is adapting it for the access network. Transmission distances are much shorter in the access network than in long-haul links, and operators can push fiber deep enough so that no amplifiers are needed to boost signals. The combination of shorter distances and no amplification means less signal dispersion, non-linear distortion and general noise. That, in turn, makes implementation of coherent optics in the access network significantly less complicated, and should ultimately make it less expensive than applying the technology in long-haul transport connections as well.

The good news with coherent optics is that it doesn't require any changes to fiber already deployed. The only change needed is at an optical endpoint, like an optical node or base station. The technology is also well suited for distributed access architectures (DAA) and node-plus-zero (N+0) deployments. The more capacity operators can deliver to that last node, the more options they have for extending high-bandwidth services to a diversity of targets leading off of that node.

CableLabs Distinguished Technologist Alberto Campos also emphasizes that coherent optics is not limited to network type. "This technology is not just for cable. It's for access [networks], any type of access," says Campos. Although the cable industry is where the initial work is beginning, it will also be shared with the broader telecom community.

CableLabs VP of Wired Technologies Dr. Curtis Knittle adds that coherent optics technology for the access network is being designed with software defined networking (SDN) and network functions virtualization (NFV) in mind.

"As operators start to deploy this, and as they're deploying SDN and NFV solutions, we intend to make it amenable to those new SDN/NFV architectures," says Knittle.

Now that CableLabs has moved coherent optics on to the research and development phase, the next step is to set up a working group within the organization; something that is likely to take place in May or June. Following the R&D phase, CableLabs expects to start developing formal specifications.

http://www.lightreading.com/gigabit/...d/d-id/730168?
post #1631 of 1645 Old 02-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I have Comcast Cable. For years I had their Motorola HD DVR box. I thought the picture quality was pretty excellent for a cable source. For a few weeks I was getting a message from the box saying I needed to update my equipment or I would lose HD channels.

I upgraded to xfiniity x1 today and the picture quality is a very big downgrade in quality from the older box. Now it almost looks like standard DVD quality. It's pretty bad.

Does anyone know why this is? And what my options may be to improve picture? In display settings on the box I have it set to 1080i. There is no longer a Native option. I'm pretty disappointed with the x1 picture quality. Whish I never switched.

Thanks for any help
post #1632 of 1645 Old 02-09-2017, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V. Cassidy View Post
I have Comcast Cable. For years I had their Motorola HD DVR box. I thought the picture quality was pretty excellent for a cable source. For a few weeks I was getting a message from the box saying I needed to update my equipment or I would lose HD channels.

I upgraded to xfiniity x1 today and the picture quality is a very big downgrade in quality from the older box. Now it almost looks like standard DVD quality. It's pretty bad.

Does anyone know why this is? And what my options may be to improve picture? In display settings on the box I have it set to 1080i. There is no longer a Native option. I'm pretty disappointed with the x1 picture quality. Whish I never switched.

Thanks for any help
In theory the X1 should give you the same or better quality picture. I have the my X1 DVR hooked up to a 65" 4K TV and get an excellent picture (I still am not on MPEG-4). Since MPEG-4 encoded programs are transmitted at 720P I suggest switching your box to 720P to see if it helps. Unfortunately many people have reported when Comcast switched over to MPEG-4 the picture quality has decreased. If you are unhappy with the picture quality I suggest you call Comcast and complain, hopefully they will get the message and fix the problem.
post #1633 of 1645 Old 02-09-2017, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Arris Builds Next-Gen TiVo

Steve Donohue Gear, News
A super DVR that Arris and TiVo are building for deployment on U.S. cable systems has passed emission tests at the FCC, according to a document obtained by The Donohue Report on Tuesday.

“The ARRIS DCX905 is an IP Video Gateway (next-gen, set-top technology). It is a high-definition set-top with multiple 1 GHz tuners that support both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC services. The all-digital DCX905 includes the latest audio and video output interfaces, including HDMI, Award-winning Dolby Digital Plus audio and Dolby Volume Leveling. With the included MoCA home networking, the DCX905 provides the flexibility to serve as a multimedia client for accessing content from other compatible devices in the home. An embedded DOCSIS 2.0+ cable modem provides support for DSG and downstream channel bonding,” Arris states in an FCC test report.

The box contains the GP501 ZigBee home automation chip from GreenPeak Technologies, which was acquired by Greensboro, N.C.-based Qorvo Inc. last year.

Arris and TiVo announced in May 2015 a partnership to build next-gen customer premise equipment for service providers. The companies said last year that the first product from their collaboration would be “the DCX3635 Video Gateway with TiVo. The DCX3635 features 6 video tuners with 8 DOCSIS downstream channels, carries 1TB of onboard storage, and is capable of supporting dual simultaneous HD video transcoding sessions. What it means for consumers is their media, on their terms: the flexibility to enjoy both broadcast and digital TV, virtually anytime and anywhere—with enough storage to record 150 hours of HD programming.”

http://donohuereport.com/arris-builds-next-gen-tivo/
post #1634 of 1645 Old 02-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Recently there are news reports about Comcast dropping their factually-correct claim of "fastest internet": http://fortune.com/2017/02/09/comcas...ernet-america/

Comcast's internet is faster than Verizon's FIOS internet and all fiber-based internet service, because electrical signals in coax cable always propagate faster than light propagates in a fiber. This is a due to physical law.

Verizon's ads are correct that their network speed is "the speed of light", but they don't mention *which* speed of light, or that their network speed is always slower than Comcast's electrical signals in copper/coax.

As for the speed of wifi signal propagation, I doubt any vendors is any faster than any other, as the radio signals will traverse at the same speed through the same air regardless of vendor.

Fwiw...
markrubin and efball like this.
post #1635 of 1645 Old 02-10-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 182
TEE HEE....thanks for the Giggle.....

For those who missed the joke, the Internet "Speed" claims were actually about DATA RATE SPEEDS....
tveli likes this.
post #1636 of 1645 Old 02-11-2017, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I just ordered Directv. I'll be paying $170 less for the same channels. Wow. I want to cancel my Comcast Cable but keep Comcast Internet. This is possible right? I imagine they'll give me a hard time, but still doable right?
post #1637 of 1645 Old 02-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V. Cassidy View Post
I just ordered Directv. I'll be paying $170 less for the same channels. Wow. I want to cancel my Comcast Cable but keep Comcast Internet. This is possible right? I imagine they'll give me a hard time, but still doable right?
Doable, but you lose the bundled price for it. Depending on the speed you need, expect to be out $50-$100/mo.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1638 of 1645 Old 02-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Doable, but you lose the bundled price for it. Depending on the speed you need, expect to be out $50-$100/mo.

I just did same thing. Had X1 preferred double play two tvs. 138.00 per month. Ditched the TV went with DTV choice package at 64.00 for four rooms and changed internet only to extreme 150 for 59.99. No issues. Had to talk to retention for the 150 deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1639 of 1645 Old Today, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast to Launch 'Xfinity Stream' App
Feb. 28 to Xfinity TV Subscribers

Successor to the Xfinity TV app brings Xfinity X1 functionality, including a Spanish guide, filtering, music channels and Common Sense media ratings. In the home, users can watch their entire TV line-up on phones, tablets and laptops. On-the-go: 200+ live channels are available, along with remote DVR access and 40,000 On Demand titles.

PHILADELPHIA, PA

Comcast today announced plans to launch "Xfinity Stream," an app available to all Xfinity TV customers at no additional cost on devices in and out of the home. The app, which can be downloaded by Xfinity TV customers without charge, will allow users to watch their entire TV line-up on phones, tablets and laptops in the home, and when they’re on-the-go, to tune-in to more than 200 live channels, access and program their DVR and watch 40,000 on demand titles.
Related Slideshow

VIEW SLIDESHOW Xfinity Stream App View Slideshow

"We’re focused on creating the best entertainment experiences across platforms and continuing to give Xfinity TV customers more choice in how, when and where they access their content," said Matt Strauss, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Video and Entertainment Services at Comcast Cable. "With the Xfinity Stream app, we are giving customers access to the best content in and out of the home with a growing list of advanced features and capabilities that make the mobile experience nearly identical to the cable experience they enjoy at home."
The Xfinity Stream app, the successor to the Xfinity TV app, includes the ability to switch to a Spanish guide, favorite channel filtering, music channels and Common Sense Media reviews and ratings, offering users an X1-like experience for customers’ phones, tablets and laptops in and out of the home.

• Live TV and Xfinity On Demand: In addition to becoming an additional screen in the home for Xfinity TV cable customers to access live and on demand programming, Xfinity Stream also gives them access to more than 200 live channels over the Internet outside the home, including sports networks such as ESPN, Fox Sports and NBC Sports; news networks such as Fox News, MSNBC, CNN and BBC World News; kids networks like Nick Jr., Disney Channel and Sprout; 50 Music Choice channels, as well as a host of other top cable and premium networks. The app also offers more than 40,000 on demand movies and TV shows to stream on the go, as well as thousands of download choices for offline viewing.
  • DVR Recordings On the Go: Xfinity TV customers can take their entire DVR collection with them to stream on the go, or even download to watch while offline. They can also use the app to set recordings remotely.
  • First Screen Experiences on Devices: The Xfinity Stream app will bring an X1-like experience to customers with new and enhanced features like the ability to search content by categories such as audience or critics score,stream 50+ Music Choice channels in-the-home and on-the-go, access Common Sense Media ratings and reviews and customize their parental controls per device.
  • Spanish Guide and Accessibility Enhancements: Comcast’s bi-cultural customers will have the option to navigate the app in their language of choice - Spanish or English – as well as enable English programming that offers a secondary audio feed in Spanish. Those customers with vision impairments can also enable video description - a narration track included between the natural pauses in dialogue that describes the visual elements – on select movies and TV shows.

Customers will be able to download the Xfinity Stream app for iOS and Android devices on February 28. Customers who have already installed the latest version of the Xfinity TV app on their devices will see it transition to the Stream app through an app update on February 28.

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-in...tv-subscribers
post #1640 of 1645 Old Today, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The existing app is almost worthless.
One way I will use it is to make use of Chromecast's ability to mirror the screen from laptop to TV screen, and its ability to mirror some cell phone screens. When they use the word "laptop", I assume they mean any PC.
post #1641 of 1645 Old Today, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Questions about X-1 service

If I am in wrong place to post this- I apologize.

1. Is X-1 picture better or worse than "DVR"?
2. Can you get X-1 by itself w.o. phone and w.o. internet from Comcast? Our condo bldg. has hi speed internet from Google? (Oakland)
3. At our other home we do have internet from Comcast. 2 DVRs and a DTA. Would getting X-1 save us money? (Miami)
4. I read in some post that Comcast now has no more new DVRs for customers - just used ("refurbished") boxes. Is that true in all areas.
post #1642 of 1645 Old Today, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
One way I will use it is to make use of Chromecast's ability to mirror the screen from laptop to TV screen, and its ability to mirror some cell phone screens. When they use the word "laptop", I assume they mean any PC.
I actually like the current app quite a bit. It's useful using the phone or tablet as an additional screen. I've found performance of the app to be quite good.

With the terribly over-compressed picture of the channels coming through the DVR, I find myself now preferring to watch many channels (the ones that aren't over-compressed) on my iPhone or iPad. It sucks though that I have to resort to this though.
post #1643 of 1645 Old Today, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I am in wrong place to post this- I apologize.

1. Is X-1 picture better or worse than "DVR"?
2. Can you get X-1 by itself w.o. phone and w.o. internet from Comcast? Our condo bldg. has hi speed internet from Google? (Oakland)
3. At our other home we do have internet from Comcast. 2 DVRs and a DTA. Would getting X-1 save us money? (Miami)
4. I read in some post that Comcast now has no more new DVRs for customers - just used ("refurbished") boxes. Is that true in all areas.
1 -The picture quality from a Comcast DVR should be the same on the X1 DVR, however the X1 has a better 1080P upscaler.
2 - Call your local Comcast office. I believe you can now since Comcast is pushing X1.
3 - X1 should cost the same unless you can get Comcast to give you a promo.
4 - The X1 DVRs are currently being manufactured. The older legacy boxes probably are not.
markrubin and BiggAW like this.
post #1644 of 1645 Old Today, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
I do the same. I can mirror off of a Chromebook, it works reasonably well for casual viewing of news/talk types of shows while I'm doing chores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
4 - The X1 DVRs are currently being manufactured. The older legacy boxes probably are not.
On a Moto system I don't think they've made DCX3400's for a while, and the DCT's and DCH's that were phased out with MPEG-4 haven't been made for about 10 years.
post #1645 of 1645 Old Today, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The current X1 TV Android app cannot be mirrored (using my Samsung Galaxy S5). It would be interesting to see if the new app will allow mirroring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page