Comcast Technology Topic - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #1651 of 1668 Old 05-03-2017, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Comcast Pushes Another Batch of X1 Updates

Enhancements include ‘smart' keyboard, personalized screensavers and streamlined way to find purchased content

Comcast said it has rolled out another batch of enhancements for X1, its next-gen video platform for set-tops and mobile devices.

Among the adds is a “smart keyboard” designed to decrease the time a customer spends typing in what they want to watch in the X1 search window. As a customer spells out the name of a show or an actor, the keyboard only displays letters that could potentially be the next one in line.

That capability is now part of the core X1 platform after starting as a lab week project, Peter Nush, VP of product management at Comcast, explained in this blog post, noting that the smart keyboard “acts very much like the way search in car GPS systems work.”

Comcast has also reorganized the X1 purchases folder in a way that helps subs find that content more quickly. The purchases folder is now featured in the X1 saved menu, and divided into three rows (movies, TV shows and kids), and individually purchased TV episodes are now grouped by series.
Following the recent addition of landscape images for the X1 screensaver, the MSO now lets subs personalize that by selecting a rotation of animals or entertainment images. Additionally, X1 customers can now use their own photos as the screensaver backdrop by linking to images stored on their Facebook, Instagram or Flickr accounts.

X1 has also added a power save mode that does not impact functions like recording shows or watching recordings on other devices in the home. Subs can activate that feature by saying, “power down” into the X1 voice remote. Saying “go green” to the voice remote will enable subs to update the settings in a way in which the box automatically powers down after a set time of inactivity.

Nush said Comcast is also working on a DVR enhancement that ensures shows are recorded even when they start early or end late.
About 52% of Comcast's 21.52 million residential video subs are on X1. The company expects to push X1 penetration to the low 60% range by year-end.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/dis...updates/412589
markrubin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1668 Old 05-22-2017, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast Appears to Soft Launch First 4K DVR

Well look what the Internet turned up. On a Comcast support page, the cable operator is now referencing an Arris XG4 DVR set-top, available in select markets only. The specs on the page don't advertise it, but multiple sources have told Light Reading that the product is a set-top that supports 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) video. And it may be Comcast's first 4K box on the market.
The XG4 DVR -- also apparently known as the XG1v4 -- is reportedly going live now or in the near future in limited markets, which would explain why the product is showing up on an X1 support page. It's noteworthy, however, that Comcast doesn't reference 4K support among the specifications. Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) has already been dinged for falling behind on its 4K roadmap, and the company may be wary of promoting a product launch until the DVR has gained some traction in the field.
Comcast has not yet responded to a request for comment about the DVR.
Among the specs that Comcast does list for the XG4 are six TV tuners, a 25-minute buffer for pausing and rewinding live TV, compatibility with the X1 voice remote, and support for AnyRoom DVR and X1 TV apps.

Screen shot from Comcast X1 support page
A similar set-top from Arris Group Inc. (Nasdaq: ARRS) has also shown up in recent Federal Communications Commission (FCC) filings. Referenced as the Arris XG1v4 with 4K support, this set-top is depicted in one document from an angle that makes evident the same beveled corners that are seen with the Arris XG4 set-top listed on the Comcast support site. The FCC filing also includes a mock-up label for the product that suggests it's meant for Cox Communications Inc. deployment. Cox licenses the X1 platform from Comcast.

Images from an FCC filing for the Arris XG1v4
Comcast initially began touting a 4K UHD set-top two years ago, but various strategic shifts have delayed deployments. For one thing, Comcast decided it needed to include HDR with any 4K product, and for another, it appears that the company moved from a plan to launch 4K video over its legacy QAM network to a new strategy of delivering 4K video only over IP. (See Comcast Has a New Timeline After 4K Delay.)
Those changes don't mean Comcast has been without a 4K offering entirely. The company has delivered some 4K content via an app to select Samsung TV sets since late 2014. And the US market as a whole has moved slowly in the 4K space, meaning there's not much competitive pressure from other pay-TV providers rushing to lead the market. The one major exception is AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T), which has broadcast several high-profile sporting events in 4K. Other than that, most 4K content being delivered domestically is of the OTT variety, with some additional on-demand UHD content available from AT&T, Comcast and Dish Network LLC (Nasdaq: DISH) as well.
Aside from set-top strategy, one of the big holdups with 4K in the US is a lack of compelling content. Layer3 TV is a startup cable company that boasts of only offering 4K-capable set-tops. However, even with those set-tops in place, Layer3 TV still has a very limited catalog of content.
"We have NASA UHD, a full-time linear channel in 4K, as well as Planet Earth II and a handful of other VOD assets in 4K," remarked Layer3 TV Director of Content Partnerships Monica Revare this week at Light Reading's Big Communications Event. However, Revare also noted that the 4K content Layer3 TV does have is among the most popular.
"Within 24 or 48 hours of putting VOD content up in 4K, those assets have surfaced to within the top ten," said Revare, even compared to popular non-4K shows like This is Us from NBC.

http://www.lightreading.com/video/4k...d/d-id/732973?
markrubin likes this.
post #1653 of 1668 Old 05-25-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
Comcast Appears to Soft Launch First 4K DVR

Well look what the Internet turned up. On a Comcast support page, the cable operator is now referencing an Arris XG4 DVR set-top, available in select markets only. The specs on the page don't advertise it, but multiple sources have told Light Reading that the product is a set-top that supports 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) video. And it may be Comcast's first 4K box on the market.
There is a new thread on the Comcast forums about this.
The Arris XG1v4 is an HD DVR device that supports HDR10, 4K, and Bluetooth 4.2 capability. (Note: HDR10 4K and Bluetooth will not be supported until later in 2017.) It will be available via professional installation only for new X1 customers
It sort of boggles my mind that they're adding a 4K box after down-rezzing our 1080i channels to 720p.
markrubin, BiggAW and cydeweyz like this.

post #1654 of 1668 Old 05-25-2017, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It appears the XG1v4 does not have an optical output, so I assume if you do not have a receiver that is compliant with 4k and HDR specifications it would not be usable.
post #1655 of 1668 Old 05-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 2693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
It sort of boggles my mind that they're adding a 4K box after down-rezzing our 1080i channels to 720p.
if they gave me one of the new boxes, and 4K content, I would forgive them for the down-rezzing
gomo657 likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #1656 of 1668 Old 05-25-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2206
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
if they gave me one of the new boxes, and 4K content, I would forgive them for the down-rezzing
And since they're already bit-starving their recently converted MPEG4 channels there's really no reason to believe they'll provide enough bandwidth for their 4K content even if it is IP delivery, good quality video still needs bits no matter format or transmission method is used.
post #1657 of 1668 Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
And since they're already bit-starving their recently converted MPEG4 channels there's really no reason to believe they'll provide enough bandwidth for their 4K content even if it is IP delivery, good quality video still needs bits no matter format or transmission method is used.

If you have a 2016 Samsung 4k TV or newer, you can test it with the Xfinity 4k Sampler app. The shows in the app suck, so I can't comment on the quality.
Keenan likes this.
post #1658 of 1668 Old 05-26-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
It appears the XG1v4 does not have an optical output, so I assume if you do not have a receiver that is compliant with 4k and HDR specifications it would not be usable.
I have a "mixed" setup that has a 1080p AVR and a 4k TV, and backfeeding optical from the TV works just fine with Roku and Chromecast for 4k content, and I'm sure it will work fine with the XG4. I have two separate HDMI runs from my UHD BD player to handle DTS-HD MA, but with cable TV, optical is adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
If you have a 2016 Samsung 4k TV or newer, you can test it with the Xfinity 4k Sampler app. The shows in the app suck, so I can't comment on the quality.
The app is fantastic, it's 35mbps 2160p, and it looks gorgeous. I watched some of the Olympics last summer with it. I doubt that the 4k on their STBs will have as high of a bitrate. Who knows what it will actually look like.
post #1659 of 1668 Old 05-26-2017, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
I have a "mixed" setup that has a 1080p AVR and a 4k TV, and backfeeding optical from the TV works just fine with Roku and Chromecast for 4k content, and I'm sure it will work fine with the XG4. I have two separate HDMI runs from my UHD BD player to handle DTS-HD MA, but with cable TV, optical is adequate.
So you have the Roku connected directly to the TV with the TV optical out going to the receiver. Is the optical output from the TV 2 channel sound or 5.1?
post #1660 of 1668 Old 05-26-2017, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
PCM
PCM is an uncompressed audio format, which means it will theoretically have the best overall sound quality, as no information has been removed to facilitate transmitting the signal. PCM is sent unencoded by the source, meaning the full, unpacked ‘instructions’ for what sounds to play are sent directly from the source to receiver, and then on to the speakers.
Unfortunately, this makes for a signal that is more difficult to transmit. No TV seems to be able to pass a 5.1 PCM signal through to a sound system, so sending a PCM signal to or from a TV will downgrade the signal to 2.1 (two speakers + one subwoofer), thus eliminating the extra channels necessary for surround sound.
PCM 5.1 can work with a receiver that supports the format, so if you want uncompressed sound, you’ll need to forego passing the audio through your TV, and instead output the sound directly from the source (one that outputs PCM 5.1) to the receiver. Note that only HDMI can transmit a 5.1 PCM signal. Digital optical is only capable of transmitting a 2.1 or 2.0 PCM signal.
From: http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/input...io-passthrough
post #1661 of 1668 Old 05-28-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you have the Roku connected directly to the TV with the TV optical out going to the receiver. Is the optical output from the TV 2 channel sound or 5.1?
DD 5.1. I could route optical directly from the Roku, but that's just that many more inputs to switch. I'm also probably going back to routing the UHD-BD player through the TV as well, which unfortunately is a downgrade in quality from DTS-HD MA to DD 5.1, but the direct HDMI connection is extremely unreliable from my UBD-K8500.
post #1662 of 1668 Old 07-18-2017, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

More Comcast X1 Lab Features Make the Grade

Enhanced text, recent searches, customized sports recordings go live

Comcast said another batch of features tested by its labs group have “graduated” to its commercially deployed X1 platform. Those new features included enhanced text readability (a setting that deepens the contrast and increases the font size in the X1 guide), a row below the guide keyboard that features a customer’s recent searches, a manage reminders feature that complements an element that lets subs managed scheduled recordings, and a customizable sports recording component that, for example, lets a viewer only record live games of a favorite team.

All sports team pages on X1 also include a “Watch” option when a live event is airing.
“It’s almost been three years since we launched Comcast Labs on X1, our Technology and Product team’s ‘sandbox" to test new features of the platform before they go live,” Peter Nush, VP of product management at Comcast, explained in this blog post. “In that time, 12 features have graduated from Labs to become permanent fixtures in the experience and today we’re adding a few more...”
About 52% of Comcast's 21.52 million residential video subs are on X1. The company expects to push X1 penetration to the low 60% range by year-end.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/dis...e-grade/413662
post #1663 of 1668 Old 07-23-2017, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Red Dot Design Award For New Comcast Products

By Tony Werner, President of Technology and Product, Comcast Cable in Technology

Earlier this month, our design team won the prestigious Red Dot Design Award, which each year recognizes products from around the world that exemplify "outstanding design". I could not be more honored to work with this talented group of designers as they help us create products that our customers can be proud to display in their homes.
Thanks to the creativity and the hard work of Tom Loretan (pictured), Senior Vice President and Executive Creative Director, and Fraser Stirling, Senior Vice President of Hardware Development and their teams, we were recognized for three unique designs: our wireless set top box, our new 4k set-top box, as well as our forthcoming new remote.

Download

Download

We love these designs, not just because they are simple, attractive and elegant, but because they reflect the journey we have taken as company to evolve our products. And we’re getting great feedback from our customers too. In a world where people interact with a device like a remote every day, and display things like set-top-boxes in their busiest rooms, it’s not enough that they simply work as intended.

We are on a mission to build products that people love, and we know we can’t do that unless those products look and feel great. Our design and product engineering teams are delivering on that promise, and inspiring all of us to keep advancing our product development further.
Sincerest thanks to the Red Dot Jurors for their recognition, and congratulations to the team for this honor.

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast...egant-products
post #1664 of 1668 Old 07-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 2693
so now we are supposed to pick a STB based on looks?

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #1665 of 1668 Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
so now we are supposed to pick a STB based on looks?
Looks doesn't hurt but the lack of functionality could. The new remote looks nice and hopefully Comcast listened to user feedback in the design of the remote. What I don't like about the "wireless" X1 box is that it is only wireless. In some locations wireless could be an advantage but in others it could be a nightmare since a good wireless signal may not be possible. As previously discussed in this thread the wireless option will cause the used to rent additional equipment from Comcast (modem / router) or purchase a MOCA to Ethernet bridge. Hopefully Comcast will also offer a wired option.

Comcast Technology Topic
markrubin likes this.
post #1666 of 1668 Old 07-23-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 227
NOOOOOOooooooo, they placed the most frequently used Buttons (Vol+/-, Chan Up/Dn) at the extreme TOP of the R/C....which means you have to tightly grip the R/C to get any leverage. And the easiest to access Buttons are the Least Used (Arrow Keys to navigate Menus).

The PERFECT Cable System R/C [this is TWC/Spectrum, but I've also seen them being used by COMCAST users].
Your THUMB is directly adjacent to "Vol+/-" and "Chan Up/Dn", and can readily reach UP to the frequently used Arrow and "Page Up/Dn" buttons...and DOWN to the frequently used DVR Transport Controls. Note the use of DIFFERENT SHAPES for the various buttons, making it much easier to FIND the right button in the dark [some are also backlit...like THIS one]:

Ditto for the "affordable" Harmony Universal R/C with Learning, Models 650 and 750 (with Rechargeable AA's):
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harm.../dp/B0038OMEQI
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harm.../dp/B00UNSW4LW
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004OVECU0

And COMCAST's WORST R/C Layout....DVR Transport Keys are all the way at the BOTTOM....forcing you to constantly
readjust how you hold the R/C before you can hit the buttons.....YUUUCKKKKK:

Last edited by holl_ands; 07-23-2017 at 11:41 AM.
post #1667 of 1668 Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually, the old Comcast remotes were pretty good, as you could control the DVR with the 4-way D-pad. You will notice, however, that the TiVo Peanut is a DVR remote that has Live TV functionality, reflecting the design of the box's software, while the Comcast remotes are cable box remotes with DVR functionality, reflecting the design of those box's software. The X1 remote blends everything together equally, just like the X1 software does, putting live TV, VOD, and DVR on an equal footing. TiVo's Peanut still is the best DVR remote ever, it feels good in your hand, and just makes sense to operate.
post #1668 of 1668 Old Today, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I also liked the older Comcast remotes. Even though they were not learning remotes you could by inputting codes program almost any key to acquire the functionality you needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page