Comcast Technology Topic - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 134Likes

post #1681 of 1699 Old 08-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Xfinity wireless set top box?

I've used Directv wireless boxes where there's no cable outlet available, and they work well. Just heard that Xfinity now has a wireless box but it works from a signal from your router. The Xfinity service tech wasn't high on the performance. Has anybody had any experience with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1699 Old 08-13-2017, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc5506 View Post
I've used Directv wireless boxes where there's no cable outlet available, and they work well. Just heard that Xfinity now has a wireless box but it works from a signal from your router. The Xfinity service tech wasn't high on the performance. Has anybody had any experience with them?

I believe it is theXi5 which has been discussed in this thread. It is a 1080p box with HDR. It does not have a tuner and needs either a X1 DVR or a SG2v2 plus a Comcast router / modem to function (or an alternative also discussed in this thread). I assume it need a good signal from the router to function properly.
post #1683 of 1699 Old 08-13-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
What kind of premium channel series?

If they put Game of Thrones episodes in 4K HDR on VOD, their customers would clamor to get access to that.

Or just put most HBO and Showtime series in 4K.
Is GoT even produced in 4k? DirecTV will probably have more 4k content sooner than Comcast, even for NBCU content like the Olympics. They have the bandwidth to push a lot of 4k quickly.

post #1684 of 1699 Old 08-13-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Supposedly they're filming the last two seasons in 4K or maybe producing 4K masters.
BiggAW likes this.
post #1685 of 1699 Old 08-14-2017, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Is GoT even produced in 4k? DirecTV will probably have more 4k content sooner than Comcast, even for NBCU content like the Olympics. They have the bandwidth to push a lot of 4k quickly.
Anyone making new high-end 'BoxSet' type dramas will be shooting in UHD/4K now - even if they don't currently operate a 4K/UHD consumer platform of their own.

There are enough international purchasers of these programmes that DO run UHD/4K services already that premium stuff is expected to be made in that format, plus longevity suggests shooting in 4K/UHD for future sales/release makes sense. GoT is on Sky in the UK (Sky have a big, exclusive, deal with HBO) - which has a 4K satellite and streaming service, and is a big customer for 'Box Set' style content.

However existing series may well stick with a 2K/HD workflow, particularly if they are coming to the end of their run. (Which I believe is the case for GoT).

Obviously series with Netflix/Amazon production involvement are likely to favour UHD/4K (and in some cases HDR) production.
BiggAW likes this.
post #1686 of 1699 Old 08-26-2017, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Gigabit internet in DC area

Comcast allowed me to upgrade from Blast to Gigabit internet for $17/mo! Docsis 3.1 modem arriving Monday, will update with results. Without a 2 year contract the upgrade would cost $30/mo according to the CSR. I have Premier Double Play and my account now shows Gigabit Internet Tier. I am located in Chevy Chase MD.
markrubin and PaulGo like this.
post #1687 of 1699 Old 08-26-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLEEEG View Post
Comcast allowed me to upgrade from Blast to Gigabit internet for $17/mo! Docsis 3.1 modem arriving Monday, will update with results. Without a 2 year contract the upgrade would cost $30/mo according to the CSR. I have Premier Double Play and my account now shows Gigabit Internet Tier. I am located in Chevy Chase MD.
Be sure to check your first bill that has the changes to see if what the rep told you is what you're actually paying. What a Comcast rep says and what actually happens are very often two different things.
VideoGrabber likes this.

Last edited by Keenan; 08-26-2017 at 11:14 AM.
post #1688 of 1699 Old 08-26-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
So - how do all your costs to Comcast break down?
post #1689 of 1699 Old 08-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
So - how do all your costs to Comcast break down?
Double play went from $130 to $147 plus various taxes and fees.
post #1690 of 1699 Old 08-29-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Comcast allowed me to upgrade from Blast to Gigabit internet for $17/mo!
Upgrading to Gigabit cost me $10 per month (for 1 yr). I have my own modem, so no rental fee.

Consistently have speeds of >850/41.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #1691 of 1699 Old 08-29-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post
Upgrading to Gigabit cost me $10 per month (for 1 yr). I have my own modem, so no rental fee.

Consistently have speeds of >850/41.
Unless you have a very large family all doing diff. downloads at the same time, is there really any diff between having 50Mb and 100Mb or even a Gig? I never noticed any diff between Comcast' 30+/- and Google's/Webpass 100Mb. The main diff. is most of Comcast's plans have a SLOW upload of 5Mbps. Ours is now 100 up/down. Probably helps w. doing video calls which can make use of fast upload speeds.
Whether you have 50 or 150 - services like Netflix will still give you their best quality. Interesting to see they give you more upload speed.

Question - Is there a data cap?
post #1692 of 1699 Old 08-29-2017, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Yes the cap's 1 terabyte.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.
post #1693 of 1699 Old 08-29-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Unless you have a very large family all doing diff. downloads at the same time, is there really any diff between having 50Mb and 100Mb or even a Gig?
Absolutely no difference. Nor do I upload enough to need the 40+ Meg. It'll be fun for the next 10 1/2 months, though, at which time I'll be dropping back down to my previous 200Meg or 100Meg with an upload of 12Meg.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #1694 of 1699 Old 08-29-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 526
As far as I can tell, picture quality has not improved from going 10 Mbps down to 200+ Mbps down. But then my HDTV is only HD (1080p) and there is only one person who live here.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #1695 of 1699 Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Unless you have a very large family all doing diff. downloads at the same time, is there really any diff between having 50Mb and 100Mb or even a Gig? I never noticed any diff between Comcast' 30+/- and Google's/Webpass 100Mb. The main diff. is most of Comcast's plans have a SLOW upload of 5Mbps. Ours is now 100 up/down. Probably helps w. doing video calls which can make use of fast upload speeds.
Whether you have 50 or 150 - services like Netflix will still give you their best quality. Interesting to see they give you more upload speed.

Question - Is there a data cap?
It would be great for online backups to push up at 40mbps. The upload is far more significant of an upgrade than the download, as 200mbps is pretty much as fast as anyone needs for the next few years at least.
post #1696 of 1699 Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post
Yes the cap's 1 terabyte.
So with what egnlsn said, "Consistently have speeds of >850/41.", if he could find a source to push data that fast, he can burn through an entire month's allotment, in, oh, ~2h,45m.

That may help explain some of their willingness to upgrade to that tier, for a fairly low incremental cost. I.e., anyone making much use of it is likely to incur additional overage charges.
post #1697 of 1699 Old 09-08-2017, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe because of competition the Northeast and parts of the mid-Atlantic regions are exempt from the one terabyte cap.

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/
post #1698 of 1699 Old 09-27-2017, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast Adds X1 App to LG TVs

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. -- Comcast and LG Electronics USA today announced Xfinity TV customers will be able to access their cable service via the Xfinity TV Partner app on 2017 and 2018 LG webOS Smart TVs beginning in 2018.
Featuring the Emmy Award-winning X1 guide, the app will allow Xfinity TV customers to watch live and on demand programming, including local broadcast and Public, Educational and Governmental channels, as well as their cloud DVR recordings, delivered over Comcast’s secure private managed network on LG 4K Ultra HD Smart TVs led by the critically acclaimed LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD TVs.

“With our award-winning webOS user experience, Comcast customers will be able to take advantage of an easy-to-use interface and fast application performance on 2017 and 2018 webOS-enabled TVs,” said Matt Durgin, Head of Content Innovation for LG Electronics USA. “Working with Comcast will bring these experiences to our customers so they can seamlessly enjoy their favorite content on our award-winning 4K Ultra HD TV line-up without the need for a set-top box.”

Comcast launched the Xfinity TV Partner Program last year to expand the range of retail devices Xfinity TV customers can use to access the programming that is included with their subscription. Leveraging open standard HTML5 technology, the Xfinity TV Partner Program provides a common framework that smart TV, TV-connected and IP-enabled retail device manufacturers can use to develop an Xfinity TV Partner app for their device so that Xfinity TV customers can access their cable service in their homes without the need to lease a set-top box from Comcast.

http://www.lightreading.com/video/mu.../d/d-id/736652
post #1699 of 1699 Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast Reveals Instant TV & the IPTV Future

More than two years after Comcast first announced its IP-based skinny bundle service known as Stream, the cable operator is now making good on plans to expand its IPTV reach with the launch of a new product called Xfinity Instant TV.

Instant TV is rolling out in beta to existing Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) Internet-only subscribers across the company's entire service footprint over the next two weeks. For $18 per month -- plus local taxes and fees, which will vary by market – Instant TV customers will gain access to live and on-demand programming from all of the major broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, Telemundo, Unimas, Univision), plus public, education and governmental (PEG) channels.

Instant TV will also offer 20 hours of cloud DVR storage, and it will support two concurrent video streams per account. At launch, Instant TV will be available on computers, mobile devices and via the Roku platform.

Subscribers can access the new Instant TV service through the Xfinity Stream app.

Comcast is treading a very fine line by offering a low-cost video package while also continuing to promote its full-featured X1 service. If too many customers sign up for Instant TV instead of the more expensive X1 bundle, it could seriously cut into Comcast's profit margins.

However, the cable operator sees the development of the new service as more than just the introduction of a cheap television alternative. Instead, Comcast is positioning Instant TV as a way to expand its reach to Internet-only customers, while also laying a foundation for future services that are delivered and consumed in new ways.

"While Instant TV is the tip of the spear in how we're planning to go to market, a lot of the development and the infrastructure and the learning that we've been doing over the years was really never under the lens of us only having applications for Instant TV," explains company EVP Matt Strauss. Instead, Comcast wants to take what it's learned with Instant TV and "make it available to all of our customers."

What does this mean exactly? It's not entirely clear, but Strauss suggests that Comcast may take some of the attributes of Instant TV and spread them to more of its offerings over time. For example, Strauss likes the idea of customers signing up for service and getting immediate access to content through an app without having to wait for additional equipment. That doesn't mean that traditional leased set-tops will necessarily go away, but Strauss believes new subscribers to more of Comcast services should be able to start streaming some video instantly before additional content and features are activated after hardware has been installed.

Strauss also likes the idea of consumers being able to try more services before they buy, and the concept of modularity where subscribers can buy one basic package and then add to it with different add-on packs. Instant TV follows that model with additional channel packs available in the categories of Kids and Family, Entertainment, Sports and News, Latino and Deportes. Bonus packs range from an extra $5 to $30 per month.

Comcast has been working on its IPTV strategy for a long time, but Strauss emphasizes that those years have allowed it to build an IP-based platform to serve as the foundation for all of the company's video services. Comcast's cloud infrastructure and app interface now support the operator's entire video portfolio. The Comcast app, called Stream, can be used to access X1, Instant TV or even Comcast's service for college students known as Xfinity on Campus.

"It's all the same," says Strauss, "meaning whether you're an Instant TV customer or an X1 customer, you both download and use the same app. If you decided to use the Xfinity app on Roku, whether you're an X1 customer or Instant TV, it's the same."

To be clear, that doesn't mean that Comcast is offering an over-the-top video service. Despite being delivered through an app, Instant TV is streamed over a managed IP network, which is why users must have Comcast broadband equipment, and why video streaming through the app doesn't count toward a subscriber's monthly Internet data cap. Instant TV doesn't use the open Internet, so the bandwidth it requires doesn't count against users' monthly data allowance.

However, there is an exception to that rule. When subscribers are outside the home, they can access a subset of content with Instant TV over the Internet, the same way that X1 users can stream content from Comcast's flagship service while on the go. The cable industry calls this function "TV Everywhere," but while the label is supposed to make the feature split less confusing, in many ways it just makes the division of content and data usage rules harder to understand.

In part, the schizophrenic nature of how Comcast delivers its services comes down to content rules and rights. But only in part. Like all of Comcast's offerings -- including Xfinity Home for home security and Xfinity Mobile -- Instant TV is only sold within the cable company's footprint. And the reason for that is largely financial.

Comcast could, in theory, offer its TV services entirely over the top, but there's no incentive to do so. The company earns a lot more money when it pairs video streaming with broadband service. That's the way Instant TV works, and until the day OTT proves more profitable, that's exactly how Comcast will continue doing business.

http://www.lightreading.com/video/ip...911#msg_262911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page