CableCards: We should NOT give up - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 953 Old 02-14-2008, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody has recent FIOS Cable Card experience?

The FIOS install in my neighborhood is imminent and I wanted some real world feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 953 Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 PM

I have spoke with many people who have switched to the FIOS system which uses a Motorola CableCARD and they absolutly love it. Only thing is that if your TV has the TV Guide on Screen feature it will no longer work.
post #933 of 953 Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunternj View Post

Anybody has recent FIOS Cable Card experience?

The FIOS install in my neighborhood is imminent and I wanted some real world feedback.

I have been using two bedroom TV's with CableCard. No problems. FIOS installation was back in April 2007. When watching SD channels CableCard picture quality is vastly superior to the SD box or the HD-DVR. Not much difference in HD.
post #934 of 953 Old 02-27-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolow View Post

Only thing is that if your TV has the TV Guide on Screen feature it will no longer work.

I have Panasonic plasma with TV Guide feature, and it works just fine with Motorola CabeCard.
post #935 of 953 Old 02-27-2008, 03:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post

I have been using two bedroom TV's with CableCard. No problems. FIOS installation was back in April 2007. When watching SD channels CableCard picture quality is vastly superior to the SD box or the HD-DVR. Not much difference in HD.

You're giving me reason to hope!

I have (2) PDPs & both are equipped with CableCARD slots but I stopped using a CableCARD because Time Warner is using SDV to add HD channels.

I also have FiOS Internet/phone service, but no FiOS TV is available in Upstate NY yet.
post #936 of 953 Old 02-27-2008, 04:05 PM

Right now, I'd say Verizon FIOS is the best deal. Excellent picture quality, more channel choice than most cable systems, highly reliable and fast internet, solid land line phone system and reasonable rates. Before, I was with Time Warner for more than 20 years in the same location (including its predecessor cable companies.) I can see the difference. I hope they will not get complacent and lower their standards in the future.
post #937 of 953 Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 PM

Verizon FiOS offered me Internet & phone service for 2 years @ $69.99 per month.

How many HD channels does your FiOS provider carry?
post #938 of 953 Old 02-27-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Verizon FiOS has ~30 HD channels, but four of those are premiums.

Verizon FiOS has said it will add 30 new HD channels for 60 total this spring, although the actual schedule is more like this:

IN(VHO10) 4/1
VA(VHO9) 4/7
VA(VHO9a) 4/14
NY(VHO5) 4/21
MA(VHO6) 5/12
RI(VHO6a) 5/12
DE(VHO8) 6/2
PA(VHO8) 6/2
NJ(VHO8) 6/2
NJ(VHO7) 6/23
MD(VHO4) 7/21
VA(VHO4) 7/21
FL(VHO2) 8/18
CA(VHO3) 9/1
TX(VHO1) 9/22
post #939 of 953 Old 02-27-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

You're giving me reason to hope!

I have (2) PDPs & both are equipped with CableCARD slots but I stopped using a CableCARD because Time Warner is using SDV to add HD channels.

I also have FiOS Internet/phone service, but no FiOS TV is available in Upstate NY yet.

I have CC on Panasonic (TV Guide works fine), what do you use instead of cable card for SDV?
post #940 of 953 Old 02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contsi View Post

I have CC on Panasonic (TV Guide works fine), what do you use instead of cable card for SDV?

To receive SDV channels, you'll need either the cable company's box, or a Tivo with the upcoming USB SDV adapter.

Verizon FiOS does not use SDV so that wouldn't be an issue with that provider.
post #941 of 953 Old 02-29-2008, 01:35 AM

I'm about to get my new HDTV hooked up in a week or so. I'm on IO from Cablevision in the CT area.

The HD 4200 box they supply is crap.....slow menu system and just bad overall. There DVR option is another 10 a month and isn't supposed to be that great either.

I have straight family cable and don't use any of the VOD functions. The TV I bought, Sony xbr4, does not have a cable card hookup and the QAM will only receive the non-encrypted channels. Is there an external card reader, without the Tivo subscription fees etc, that will work instead of the Cablevision supplied SA box? If I'm stuck with the SA box model 4200, can I just buy one and have Cablevision install the Cablecard into (so I get rid of the rental fees)?

I just want my channels and don't need the menu system etc (it sucks with the Cablevision box......so I'll find a way to live without it.
post #942 of 953 Old 02-29-2008, 03:33 AM

Liked: 11
Sorry, but nothing currently in production.
post #943 of 953 Old 02-29-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Sorry, but nothing currently in production.

What about buying a 4200 or 4300 and having IO cable install the cards?
post #944 of 953 Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbruce View Post

What about buying a 4200 or 4300 and having IO cable install the cards?

Buying the boxes is out, since they will either be stolen.....or Cablevision will tell you to jump in a lake if they aren't.

CableCARD or nothing......so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I also don't have any other options, since my building doesn't allow SAT.

I hate cable.
post #945 of 953 Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Buying the boxes is out, since they will either be stolen.....or Cablevision will tell you to jump in a lake if they aren't.

CableCARD or nothing......so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I also don't have any other options, since my building doesn't allow SAT.

I hate cable.

Well, if you don't want a Tivo, your only other options are a CableCard HTPC. These things are expensive, but they work.

As for Satellite, there are certain FCC "laws" that prohibit a building manager from stopping people from getting Satellite. You should look into that if you really want Satellite.

ft
post #946 of 953 Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post

As for Satellite, there are certain FCC "laws" that prohibit a building manager from stopping people from getting Satellite. You should look into that if you really want Satellite.

While there are such laws, they don't go far enough to enable most renters to get satellite.

Dave Hancock
post #947 of 953 Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post

Well, if you don't want a Tivo, your only other options are a CableCard HTPC. These things are expensive, but they work.

ft

I'm a condo owner....and do not have an area in which I have sole use to hang a dish.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Bummer.....but without a balcony that is mine....I'm screwed.

The HTPC is another option. I do have a bunch of machines laying around......so I might, with enough time, be able to set something up.
post #948 of 953 Old 03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm a condo owner....and do not have an area in which I have sole use to hang a dish.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Bummer.....but without a balcony that is mine....I'm screwed.

The HTPC is another option. I do have a bunch of machines laying around......so I might, with enough time, be able to set something up.

Same here and in Massachusetts with a northeast facing balcony....

SIGH....
post #949 of 953 Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz01 View Post

Same here and in Massachusetts with a northeast facing balcony....

SIGH....

I got my new Sony Bravia and hooked up the the SA4250HD. The updated version, from the one my friend has, uses a HDMI port and the menu system is decently fast. It's not as fast as the non-HD version.....but for 6 bucks a month....I can live with it.

In addition, I also hooked up the cable directly to the TV and am able to use QAM for PiP with non-encrypted channels. Good enough for now.
post #950 of 953 Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 PM

I moved my Panasonic TH-42PX500U to my bedroom about a month ago and had the cable company install a cable card and it works great. No problems with the install and it took a few minutes for the channels to load. A perfect solution for my bedroom and can still get all of my pay and HD channels.
post #951 of 953 Old 03-29-2008, 06:48 AM

I was reading through this thread and thought i should throw out a few thoughts about working with cable cards.

Cable cards a very sensitive creatures. They will not work unless the signal being provided to them is almost flawless.

1. This includes the SIGNAL LEVEL in dB coming to them. The signal range that general cable eq works at in the field is 0 to +10dB with analog signals and 0 to -10dB with digital signals. (please note that every channels typically has a slightly different signal level; meaning while one of your HD stations may be within signal range another HD channel could be out) However with cable cards that signal range seems to be closed down meaning keep the digitals away from that -10dB mark as well as that 0dB mark. (note that cable network's levels change slightly, 1-3 dB, all the time. so that is why it is so important to squeeze that range down to, let's say -3 to -7dB on the digital side.

2. In order to get all of your wonderful HD content the QAM signal coming in must be free of errors. What we are talking about is making sure your BER and MER are at good levels and free of most errors or at least so few errors that they are correctable by FEC. (These two refer to the quality of the signal)

3. A third huge important issue is to make sure that not just the line going to your cable card device is perfect but that all your lines are free of NOISE and INGRESS. Bad fittings, poor line sheilding, RG59, tight bends, staples, old tvs or other devices that feed noie back, nicks and cuts, old splitters, radio shack amplifiers, are all things which can ruin the quality of QAM signal by getting allowing noise to mix with it.

4. Even with the perfection of the all of the above by your cable technician and of your home/business wiring there is still the idea of PROVISIONING. There aree always going to be computer/human mistakes in the balancing and provisioning of eq on your account, and unfortunatley you have no control over it. All you can do is to keep asking if your account is balanced and try to find the person at the cable or other hd provider who is the account/cable card specific guru.

5. Additional problems can include customer eq, which seems like the primary issue addressed on this thread, so i'll be breif. Firmware upgrades are important and most cable card devices now include the correct firmware. Bottom line: if you are having issues esp getting an error code, contact the manufacturer to see if you need a firmware upgrade, they dont make money by contacting you.

Ladies and gentlmen, I hope some of this has been helpful. In conclusion cable cards do provide a better quality picture allowing you to get all your fav chs(minus 2way services) but at the cost of the patience and time in setting them up.

tech out.
post #952 of 953 Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 AM

I have a friend who has a Motorola M-Card installed and her FW upgraded to the latest version. All the channels were coming in even encrypted for around 15 min, and then after the Cable tech left the cable card dropped out again. I checked the CC errors diag screen and saw an error "Failed to Set DCFR 4". I pointed out this error to the cable tech who had no idea what this meant and advised me he is going to contact his Head end tech which was over a week ago. Can anyone tell me what this error means. Thanks.
post #953 of 953 Old 05-14-2008, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I finally did give up:

too many issues with the one way cable card and with Comcast in general: their customer service and unwillingness to resolve cablecard issues wore me down

First I turned in 4 cablecards from Sharp LCD TV's: then sold my Tivo S3 which kept losing the cablecard signal: signal levels started to vary wildly over the last year: I saw signal levels vary by 15 db from week to week probably due to road construction in my area

I canceled my Comcast TV service (still have Comcast internet with Blast) and went to DirecTV HD

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page