post #91 of 953 Old 08-14-2005, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi keenan and optivity,
Thank you both for all your help, maybe I can get some sleep tonight LOL
So , my TV was made in Feb. 05 , how do I find out if it needs a firmware update.
I plan on geting up early and move my mains out of the way and move my tv stand out and make it as easy as possible for the tech to get at the CC slot.
Does the cable co. care if you have a signal amp hooked up ?
I probly should remove the inline DC Block so that it will get the info , am I right ?
No tape , thats good.

Guy`s this is no joke, I started looking for a new tv way before the XS955 was even on Sony`s "drawing board"
I have looked at every thing , I mean every thing. I don`t think there is a manual that I haven`t downloaded in my search for a new tv.
Why so long ! Thats easy they just had to make it , why didn`t I buy it sooner ? Well that`s easy too. The XS tv`s were introduced last Sept. and the price tag for the 37" was 6K , then Sony saw the error of there ways and reduced it to 5.5K by then it was Oct. and head for the "silly-season" sooo I waited ( some more ) then in Jan. the tv was reduced again and redesigned ( new remote, and it still has the "still" feature even though there is no freeze button and the new remote (old one was RM-Y1003 / new is RM-Y1004).
Anyway after X-Mas it got to cold for buy anything, even though the price droped again, 4.5K now. So by spring (of course the new Samsungs and Panny`s were comming on strong) it was on sale here and there, but something inside said to wait.
So in July BB had a 500 gift card promo and a 500 rebate , and Tweeter was going to match that bringing the price down to 4K + a Tweeter 500GC , still waited, first part of Aug. (out of the clear blue) I called Tweeter to see if they still had stock and they said they did and that the price had dropped to <2.8K OK- I`ll see you tomorrow. Put down 20% to hold it , and by the time a friend had time with a pick-up and I went to the store to pick it up, another suprise Private Sale for Tweeter Customers ( not realy private ) anyway 300 more off the tv, so my waiting paid of , end price <2.5K.
Anyway as I`m sure you know the tv is already "out - of -date" but what isn`t !!!
So I got a very good tv at a every fair price , there still selling on the web for more !!
Thanks for the help ( better keep it comming )
Take care,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 953 Old 08-14-2005, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Does the cable co. care if you have a signal amp hooked up ?
I probly should remove the inline DC Block so that it will get the info , am I right ?

Yes, they probably will, in fact I can almost guarantee it. I would remove it and see if there is a signal problem after the install, if there is, it's the cableco's responsibility to make sure you have enough signal strength. You might mention to him that you do have an amp, it couldn't hurt as he may not have one with him if indeed you need one.

What prompted you to get the amp anyway?

The DC blocker shouldn't be an issue, but if there are problems, let him know you have one on the line. The more the guy knows about your cable feed the better.
post #93 of 953 Old 08-14-2005, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi keenan,
Thanks , I`ll disconect the amp and unplug it like it wasn`t in use. ( I`ll tell`m that it was for my old reciever for better radio reception when I had an ant.)
The reason I`m using one is that we have 3 tv`s and the cable comming into the home is spilt 3 ways and by using the amp, the set in the HT has the best picture. When I disconnect it there is alot of noise that goes away after I hook up the amp.
DC block A-OK , thanks.
In my area this is the 3rd cable co. we have had 1st was "Americable" then "Harron" now "Adelphia" ( and I guess Comcast by next Feb or Mar. )
Anyway , I sure do appreciate all the help you have given
I just would have really wanted to do it myself , I just hope it will be worth it. I sure it will.
O-I watched the Red Sox in HD the other night, WOW it was like being at the ballpark.
But every time there was a comercial , I would have gray bars on the left & right , I guess that`s normal because as soon as the game came back it was full screen 16X9 - 1080i !
Man, HD is really something , I know that the "digital channels" are SD , but was told that more HD is on the way
Take care and thanks again,
Gary
post #94 of 953 Old 08-14-2005, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After 3 days of fretting, and calling Sharp and Comcast here in Chicago. Everything sorted itself out, and my CableCard is working. The TV Guide OnScreen is working, everything is downloaded. The HD stuff looks amazing. But boy do those comcast operators know nothing about cablecards. But thanks to these threads, I've learned a lot.
post #95 of 953 Old 08-14-2005, 09:49 PM

FYI, I admit that I know the cable techs in my area and have good relations with them - your mileage may vary - but when I had the first cable card installed in the county, he didn't want to push it in hard enough for fear he might break something. I had to give it a good push to lock it in. So some do care.

Secondly, for whatever reason, cable cards seem to need slightly more gain than a STB - don't ask me why, but I've seen it over and over.

Over the weekend I was -9dbm on Showtime and HBO HD and the cable card couldn't handle it. The STB wants minimum -8dbm but held up with it.

I'll get the line rebalanced today, but that's how tight the parameters are.
post #96 of 953 Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

So , do the cable co.`s care (or bother) people that have signal amp`s ?
That was my problem way back , we have 3 tv`s and 1 hooked up to a 10db amp (HT-room) and on my new XS955 the SD looks better than the other 2 sd-tv`s.
Your really not hurting anything
I`ll just be glad when Thursday is over and hope they don`t mess anything up.
So maybe , it`s better to have Adelphia do it now than wait for Comcast.
Just hope we get more HD -ch.`s we should.
Gary
post #97 of 953 Old 08-15-2005, 07:07 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

cable cards seem to need slightly more gain than a STB - don't ask me why, but I've seen it over and over.

Over the weekend I was -9dbm on Showtime and HBO HD and the cable card couldn't handle it. The STB wants minimum -8dbm but held up with it.

I'll get the line rebalanced today, but that's how tight the parameters are.

How do you measure the signal strength?
post #98 of 953 Old 08-15-2005, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi optivity,
There should be a "Diagnostics" in your on-screen menu , I think that will tell you.
Before (and now) I would just use my eyes , if the picture is grainy then an amp might help smooth things out , it worked for me.
Not realy sure how the cable card will play into this , but I`ll let you know Thurs. or Fri. IF all goes well.
Gary
post #99 of 953 Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 PM

I have a 3250HD as well as the cable card.

I can get to the diagnostics screen in the SA3250HD which has allowed me to trouble shoot many of these things - like the issue above.
post #100 of 953 Old 08-15-2005, 09:37 PM

Some of the amps do not have the bandwidth to hit the upper QAM frequencies that cable needs in their HD QAMs (650Mhz-750Mhz) as this is above standard UHF frequencies.. This can cause you real problems.

Most signal amps are not 2 way either, which will cause issues if you have a cable box, cable modem or require 2 way connections with the Head End.
post #101 of 953 Old 08-16-2005, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point !
Never though about bandwidth , do they make an amp that will boost the signal for tv`s with cable cards ?
My amp is a 1 in 2 out , no cable modem (still in the dark ages with dial-up LOL)
I could always tap off one output with a terminating resistor and use the other out for my VCR!
post #102 of 953 Old 08-16-2005, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Comcast uses amps from Viewsonics VSA-601C 15 db, 1ghz

I got a call from Comcast today that there were card failures reported in other nodes: my cards are working fine

Sharp came and did a firmware update to my LC-45GX6U that reportedly addressed card issues: firmware 1.31: no difference noted so far. it was a very quick, easy process : the tech was here for 10 minutes

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #103 of 953 Old 08-16-2005, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

Good point !
Never though about bandwidth , do they make an amp that will boost the signal for tv`s with cable cards ?
My amp is a 1 in 2 out , no cable modem (still in the dark ages with dial-up LOL)
I could always tap off one output with a terminating resistor and use the other out for my VCR!

These two are very good quality line amps,

http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...ignal_booster/
Signal Booster

http://www.electroline.com/en/produc...eda/index.html
www.electroline.com
post #104 of 953 Old 08-17-2005, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I just scheduled my fifth appointment in 3 weeks.
post #105 of 953 Old 08-17-2005, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi keenan,
Thanks for the links , cable cards = broadband ?
Learn something new all the time

5 Times in 3 weeks , I hope you don`t have Adelphia.
That is crazy , best of luck , Stryker412 (6th time is the charmer !! )
Gary
post #106 of 953 Old 08-17-2005, 06:44 PM

Stryker,

I have my second appointment on Fri morning. The first time a tech came and told me I had a bad line level. They set up a work request for a line tech to come out and check out the problem. Comcast told me the line techs came out and "balanced the line". They seemed suprised that the CARD still wasn't working and set up another appointment.
post #107 of 953 Old 08-17-2005, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Gezzzzz
What gives ?
Best of luck guy`s ,
Will I have the same results?
Hope not , like I said , I`ll be sure to post what happens tomorrow.
post #108 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

As stated earlier, Showtime HD and HBOHD at -9dbm and cable card could not decode. Called cable tech on his cellphone on Monday morning and gave him the readings from the SA3250HD.

He went to the actives later that day and found someone had stuck their fingers where they didn't belong (he was on vacation last week).

Signal back up - problem gone.

It pays to

1) Have a STB so you can get diagnostics to trouble shoot it yourself as you probably know more than the CSR (I have the direct number to the NOC with instructions from the Regional VPs they are to work directly on my concerns, but i seldom use the access - for the reasons mentioned here - most have to deal with the CSR and don't have that kind of access).

2) take a cable tech to lunch every now and then

3) Tell him if he's in the neighborhood, its hot and he wants a bottle of water or a can of coke to stop by anytime (I keep a few of each just for this cause)

4) and have a great relationship with the cable tech in your area!

Amazing how much easier it makes things for just a few more dollars a month.

And btw, when I need extra RG6 cable runs or the like, guess who is all to eager to supply them? So in reality, I really feel its costing me nothing and solving a ton of problems.

Yes !
That is a very good idea.
Becomming freinds the "cable tech" would be a good thing.
Sounds like you got things A-OK !!
Noy having to deal with the office every time something pops up must be a huge help. I can see where a few cans of coke and some bottles of water plus a lunch or 2, would indeed save time and hassle in the long run.
Maybe I can be as lucky, anything not to deal with the office !
post #109 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

you really want to be on good terms with the cableguy: most of the techs who come to the house are really knowledgeable, and want to help

otherwise your name will be mud (or worse) see this link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6044693

a few $$$ as a tip if he fixes your problem does not hurt either

Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
post #110 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelggray View Post

Stryker,

I have my second appointment on Fri morning. The first time a tech came and told me I had a bad line level. They set up a work request for a line tech to come out and check out the problem. Comcast told me the line techs came out and "balanced the line". They seemed suprised that the CARD still wasn't working and set up another appointment.

They did that on for me on their first trip out. It only fixed things for a day or so. I am really starting to think that a firmware update from Sony will help but Sony doesn't want to admit it exists.
post #111 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 09:51 AM

I need a little help.

I have Comcast (Brick, NJ) and I've already had 5 appointments to get a Cablecard to work in my Sony DHG-HDD500 DVR. They have tried 3 different Scientific Atlanta cards. The first one seemed to load properly: it recognized the digital channels that were available, prompted the technician to call in to Comcast to initialize it and then proceeded to 'Upgrade Firmware'. Unfortunately, that's all it did. It would upgrade for an hour, go to the first channel it could find for about 15 to 30 seconds, and repeat the firmware upgrade over and over. I let it run, but after 24 hours of this, I called Comcast and they scheduled my second appointment.

The guy that came out for my 2nd appointment confessed that he doesn't really know what to do, he didn't bring another card to try and all he did was suggest that I make another appointment and tell them to bring a new card.

I made a third appointment for a Sunday afternoon, but the guy called that morning and said that the warehouse didn't leave him a Cablecard to bring to my house so I needed to reschedule again.

My 4th appointment was with the same tech as the 2nd appointment who already told me he doesn't really know what to do, but he brought another card so we tried that. This card started out properly and was initialized with Comcast, but none of the premium channels worked. All it said was 'No signal' so the tech called the office and they sent a 'hit' to my card and received an error (which one I don't know) but they said the card was defective and I had to schedule another appointment for the guy to bring yet another card. The tech also checked my signal strength and said it was good.

My fifth and final appointment was also with the same tech and it was useless as well. They installed my 3rd card and it went straight to 'Upgrade Firmware' and that is all that it did. It didn't even do what the first two cards did like recognizing the channels and prompting the tech to call Comcast to initialize the card. The tech called and spoke to his supervisor about that and he said because it was a 'brand new card' it might need to do that before they can initialize it. That didn't seem right, but I let it run it's course and after 3 hours of 'firmware upgrade' the tech came back to the house and I handed him the card back. He told me to make another appointment but I just don't have the heart to do it yet.

I called Sony, they insisted it was the Cablecard and that I should call Scientific Atlanta directly? Has anyone had to do that?

I called Scientific Atlanta and they pretty much laughed at me and told me Sony should never have told me to call them. They also said that the Cablecard should have been uploaded with firmware for my Sony DVR before they even came out to my house?

I called Comcast again and told them what Scientific Atlanta said and they told me to call back and ask for a Technical Supervisor during the week between 10 and 4 but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Ok, so does anyone else have any ideas before I try again? The DVR works great otherwise and I get 7 HD channels (CBS, ABC, FOX, WB, NBC, PBS and Discovery). I just don't have the others, like HBO and stuff. I know Mark said that he got rid of the Sony DVR and went with Comcast's SA8300 version. Any other thoughts or suggestions. Should I wait a few months and try again?
post #112 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nove531 View Post

I called Sony, they insisted it was the Cablecard and that I should call Scientific Atlanta directly? Has anyone had to do that?

I called Scientific Atlanta and they pretty much laughed at me and told me Sony should never have told me to call them. They also said that the Cablecard should have been uploaded with firmware for my Sony DVR before they even came out to my house?

I called Comcast again and told them what Scientific Atlanta said and they told me to call back and ask for a Technical Supervisor during the week between 10 and 4 but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Ok, so does anyone else have any ideas before I try again? The DVR works great otherwise and I get 7 HD channels (CBS, ABC, FOX, WB, NBC, PBS and Discovery). I just don't have the others, like HBO and stuff. I know Mark said that he got rid of the Sony DVR and went with Comcast's SA8300 version. Any other thoughts or suggestions. Should I wait a few months and try again?

This is about the only useful support information you have received so far. Insist you want a CableCARD installed with the latest firmware to avoid a prolonged (and often failed) wire-upgrade attempt. Your DVR has been self-certified by Sony to adhere to the: (click --> see page 14) 'Opencable & Unidirectional Cable Products List.' Unfortunately you're caught up in the finger pointing game with Comcast --> Scientific Atlanta --> Sony as am I with Time Warner --> Scientific Atlanta --> Panasonic.
post #113 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

optivity

while that is good advice to ask for a card preloaded with the correct firmware, I don't think the cablecos work that way

the last time a cableguy was at my house, he showed me how they get the cards: they are bulk packed in a box of 25 or 50 shipped direct from S/A: they grab a card from the box and install it in the customer's TV or PVR and usually leave before the firmware update takes place

In my area, I doubt the Comcast office even has a Cablecard equipped TV to test the cards or get the update (I am not joking): and worse, I suspect 'bad' cards, or cards removed because they don't work, are thrown back in the box with the good ones

nove531:

I returned the Sony because the guide did not work: the Cablecard worked OK after a firmware update!! You should not have to call Sony or S/A

This is really a sad saga of the Cablecard : the idea of the card is excellent: the implementation is poor because the cablecos really have no use for the Cablecard

Link to sponsors
post #114 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 11:57 AM

nove531

Your the fourth person on this thread that is having problems with the card from the same cable area (3 of us in Ocean County NJ and 1 in Monmouth County NJ by my count) and we all use the same headend i'm pretty sure (Eatontown NJ). Seems strange that from all the people all of the country that are using cards that read this thread there are four us hooked to the same headend. Anyway, I got a response from a Comcast engineer that I emailed about my recent problems he indicated that he only had problems with two other Sony's and they required firmware updates. He didn't tell me what models they were or how they got the updates. He also told me that they pushed out the update to the card on 7/01/05. About the time I started having problems. While I've had little success with Comcasts 1-800 number and the techs they've sent. The engineers in their office are usually helpful. (It's their job to keep things running). He's supposed to get back to me with particulars for my set after hears from someone else (I forget who he's checking with.
post #115 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Eatontown is not the headend:

it is in Northern NJ; I think near Plainfield

Link to sponsors
post #116 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guy`s,
My Cable Card...and thoughts
OK- 10:10 the Adelphia tech showed up, Inserted the CC , wrong CC.
Made a few calls and come to find out , the one he had was for another distric with a diferent line up. So the first one didn`t work. So he said that he would be back between 3-5 pm , fine.
OK, "Jim" was early , thats was a good thing considering that I had about two hours worth of work to do to put the HT back togther ( and take some time to clean + detail ).
CC # 2 >>
Worked (so to speak ), could not use my Radio Shack amp it blocked the HD channels but worked fine with broadcast , so now that I have it disconnected , I have "grainy" channels on broadcast SD and basic cable channels.
I ended up with quite I bit of channels ,some good ,some very good ,some so bad I`m still shaking my head "why do we pay for these" in example "The Word Net."
The really good ones like TCM , FMC ect are all SD.
That fantastic one are HD Moives , Discovery HD Theater and my local PBS.
Fox isn`t bad either as I`m typing this I`m watching the NE Pat`s in 720p 16X9
I hope to be watching the Red Sox on NESN HD ( if I don`t pass out first LOL )
All and all not bad , BUT , why has my TV lost it`s program selection and it`s add digital channels ? Why would that be gone ? And what the heck does Cable Card reset do ?
I thinking by hitting reset , I`ll get my channel program back as well as digital add , might have to phone in the host ID numbers to get it acivated again ? OR just turn of the tv for the card to "talk" to the main server.
Very good Tech , really . He called before showing up and called again say that he could come early , all in all great service. ( those metal "clip boards" still make me nervous ).
So thats it for now , no HBO or Sho , just HD Plus and Digital line-up.
I would really like to know what happened to my tv`s set-up controls , like what would happen if I had to do a "hard reset" on the tv?
O-well ( deep subject ) the Pats are ahead , so I got a game to watch
I would like to thank you all , for the help you folks have taken the time to offer.
Still need some answers , many thanks !
Gary
post #117 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Eatontown is not the headend:

it is in Northern NJ; I think near Plainfield

Correct.

Michael, if you could do me a huge favor and either PM that guy's e-mail or ask him if he can also get a firmware update for my TV (KDF-42WE655).
post #118 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

why has my TV lost it`s program selection and it`s add digital channels ?

Because the card controls all that with the channel list it gets from the cableco. Your TV's channel scan is disabled when the card is inserted. When the lineup changes, the cableco has to send the new info to your card.

Phil
post #119 of 953 Old 08-18-2005, 07:59 PM

I mentioned this somewhere, must not have been this thread.

The MSO will not preload a CC with the latest firmware as the only way they have to do this is install it in a HDTV with a cable card slot in their office.

They feel the connectors can be damaged with continued insertion/ejection and do not want to risk damaging their HDTV just to update the firmware in their office.

Should there be a way to update the firware without inserting it into a TV?

Yes.

But it doesn't exist last time I heard.
post #120 of 953 Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 AM

Sounds like a "big-time" kludge to me. CATV providers are doing all they can to "appear" as if they support CableCARD technology while in "reality" attempting to dissuade subscribers at every turn...

Even when the card enables the TV to receive all subscribed digital/HD channels (mine does) since most programs are "copy-protected" other home theater devices like: DD 5.1 receivers and LG's internal DVR are disabled.

It's all "********" as far as I'm concerned... You mean to tell me Time Warner can route IP over their broadband network but can't figure out a CableCARD??? Give me a break...

They have no way to load firmware to an SA PowerKEY... how does Scientific Atlanta do it???

Like I said... it's all pure ********!!!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page