Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 953 Old 07-10-2005, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 256
title says it all

Have been a CableCard proponent from the start after reading Gary Merson's experience with them

Comcast uses Scientific Atlanta cards and I have four Sharp LCD displays that accept the cards: I had a great deal of trouble with the cards at startup and worked closely with Comcast techs who are very good

I finally got the cards to work OK; they still stop working from time to time and I would call for a signal hit: happy for a while

Last week was the final straw: new firmware was downloaded and the cards have never been the same: some cards lose authorization; some lose channels: all of the cards refuse to give me my favorites: INHD's and Discovery HD

I hooked back up my 3250HD stb (also have an 8000 PVR) and am considering giving up on these cards: at least until they get some reliable firmware and hopefully 2 way cards

It seems the cablecos just don't want to deploy one way cablecards

I still believe cards give better PQ than most stb's but it does not seem worth the stuggle to keep them working

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 953 Old 07-10-2005, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My cable company requires an in-home vi$it to coordinate activation activities. I don't think cablecard was envisioned to be this complicated. Should it be?

Paul
post #3 of 953 Old 07-10-2005, 12:07 PM

There was a known issue with the cards that were sent out about 2 months ago. I wonder if the firmware uploaded by Comcast had the same problem that caused a number of MSO's to send back the cards they received in April and May of this year.
post #4 of 953 Old 07-10-2005, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Comcast just called and acknowledged other customers are seeing the same problem on Sharp TV's: ever since the firmware update a few days ago

Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
post #5 of 953 Old 07-10-2005, 07:53 PM

I sell a lot of CableCard ready HDTV's and have experienced a lot of trouble getting them to work properly. Most customer give up and get a box. I have been very persistent with the equipment manufacturers and cable providers and in some cases I have been successful in getting CableCard systems to work very well.

In some cases we replaced the TV's or got the TV manufacturer to write new firmware. Some times we got new CableCards. IN all cases it took my persistence in putting the equipment senior engineering and product managers together with the cable providers senior engineering folks.

The moral of the story is "Don't give up"

-Robert
post #6 of 953 Old 07-10-2005, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have success with my 4th card, my 3rd was ok as well but their was a head end problem that was solved after my 4th was installed. I still have 148 firmware.

Could you call Comcast and just get cards with 148 installed ?

On the "Sharpness" of the problem, do they have problems with other brands as well ?

One quirk that remains with my Sharp - the channel banner on some analogs (especially CNN) keeps flashing, audio switches between mono and stereo as if its detecting a change in the audio stream.

Don't give up - these cards are terrific when working IMO. I have no plans for bringing back the old STB.
post #7 of 953 Old 07-10-2005, 10:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

title says it all

Comcast uses Scientific Atlanta cards and I have four Sharp LCD displays that accept the cards: I had a great deal of trouble with the cards at startup and worked closely with Comcast techs who are very good

Comcast also uses Motorola CableCARDs, and from what I've gathered here and at dslreports.com, the Motorola seems to have less issues than the SA cards. I have a Moto card and after an initial problem which was fixed with a FW upgrade from Mitsubishi, it's worked just as it's supposed to.

I've also seen the name Sharp and Scientific Atlanta come up more often than most manufacturers when it comes to CableCARD problems, but that's only been gleaned from reading various threads on CableCARD problems, so I have no idea if it indicates any sort of trend regrading those particular manufacturers.
post #8 of 953 Old 07-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

As described in other threads, my Sony DHG-HDD500 with a Motorola card receives no channel information at all from Comcast. Four cards are all the same. Sony blames Comcast/Motorola, since the CableCARD info screens indicate that the card does see the Comcast network.

Comcast supervisors are "researching" the issue. I'm looking for people who have this DVR working with Comcast/Motorola.

Phil
post #9 of 953 Old 07-11-2005, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

my Comcast says all of their head end gear is made by Scientific Atlanta, so they are only using S/A cards

I went through several batches of defective S/A cards as well

I doubt they will revert to 148 firmware but it would be OK with me: funny Comcast told me the purpose of 149 was to improve the stability of the card

Link to sponsors
post #10 of 953 Old 07-12-2005, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have a Sony 42" WE655 and the card has been great up until last month. Just like the first poster i would lose digital channels once in a great while but a "push" would fix it. Now in the last month I have not gotten INHD1, and for the first few weeks I thought something was just wrong with the channel. Now I'm losing all digital channels here and there. I've lost ABC, NBC, INHD1, ESPNHD (breaks up real bad), ComcastHD is gone, etc. I have to wait until next week to get a new card. I have a Sci Atlanta PKM600 dated 8/10/04.
post #11 of 953 Old 07-12-2005, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Just talked again with the lead engineer at the Head End, he is not sending out OS 149 through the system. Any new cards will have 149 preloaded so I can keep 148 running on my card.
post #12 of 953 Old 07-16-2005, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

my S/A Cable Cards with 1.49 seem to be stable now

Comcast told me they had a lot of problems with several brands of TV's when 1.49 cards came out; including a new restaurant that just opened with 8 CC TV's

Keeping my finger crossed

Link to sponsors
post #13 of 953 Old 07-16-2005, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Is there any chance all these problems are by design or is it simply a case of a new technology which up until now isn't embraced by the masses?
post #14 of 953 Old 07-16-2005, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Is there any chance all these problems are by design or is it simply a case of a new technology which up until now isn't embraced by the masses?

I can see why the cablecos don't like cards:

for every card installed, they could lose some PPV revenue, and gain a new technology which so far has been problematic: very few cards have been fielded and many have had issues

the cableco techs take the card seriously and are working to resove the issues

CC's are a great idea: a properly integrated 2 way card could eventually replace the stb : Cards can provide better PQ than a stb in my opinion

Link to sponsors
post #15 of 953 Old 07-16-2005, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Cards can provide better PQ than a stb in my opinion

Absolutely, especially on analog and standard digital channels. With HD I notice a bit less video noise on my CableCARD feed as opposed to the STB. The black levels are also better with the card, the STB tends to crush the blacks. This is with a Motorola CC, Comcast and a Mits 73" RPTV.
post #16 of 953 Old 07-16-2005, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I have also seen unpredictable black levels and lousy analog output with STB's. CableCARD has made the set a far better one, one remote and I can tune anything, air, analog cable, digital cable, no input switching, no cables.

Terrific idea, whomever came up with it. Hope it becomes the standard, I'm sure the cable companies will find a way to introduce VOD, in fact, the head end said two way cards will come. Anyway, the FCC is mandating support for them, so that helps.
post #17 of 953 Old 07-16-2005, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Some people say 2-way Cable Card is coming and others say the cable companies are dragging their feet on it. What's the real deal?
post #18 of 953 Old 07-17-2005, 12:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Some people say 2-way Cable Card is coming and others say the cable companies are dragging their feet on it. What's the real deal?

Both really, although it's slanted more toward the cablecos dragging their feet to allow them time to develop their home networking super duper DVR box among other things. They have petitioned the FCC to push back the mandatory implementation date of third party equipment. Evidently they think their solution will be so compelling that there won't be much of a market for third party stuff. Part of that solution are things like a "home page" whenever you turn the box on which will have ads, and PPV and VOD selections, etc.. Cable wants to have control of your TV viewing portal, third party equipment will limit their ability to do this.

The problem I have with that proprietary type of solution is that performance and PQ are often to level of "just good enough", that's what I like about CableCARD, it takes the often mediocre performance of the STB out of the equation. One example of this is in the area of resolvable resolution. John Mason did some tests with an Scientific Atlanta box and a Motorola box and neither box presented anything above 1350 lines of horizontal resolution to the display.

I would love to be able to purchase a performance oriented DVR/media center that would extract ever last bit of quality that can be had with the cable signal, although I expect it will be years before we see such a thing. In the mean time we're stuck with whatever the cableco deems "good enough", their equation is weighted more towards cost over performance, where ours our weighted just the opposite.
post #19 of 953 Old 07-17-2005, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

In my area, there is a a huge push by Comcast to upgrade their system to support Digital Voice (unlimited Local & Long Distance Calling), and they are again increasing internet access speeds (I get 6 Mbps now before the speed increase )

Verizon has an incredible number of crews installing fiber to each home: they have brought in crews and trucks from other areas to get it done

Competition is good!

re 2 way CableCards: I don't think there is a mandate for 2 way cards or an implementation date, but I think a 2 way card is essential

Link to sponsors
post #20 of 953 Old 07-17-2005, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Comcast just announced they are going to offer 8Mbps/768kbps very soon. This is good news for folks that use HSI, and as you indicated, Comcast is also working on VOIP. This stuff concerns me in the respect that all this added effort and services require more bandwidth. Maybe a small amount, but considering on my Comcast system we're so BW starved that we don't even have channels that are available in neighboring Comcast systems, adding anything means less of what I really want from my cable company...TV channels, specifically, more HD channels. Cable has a finite amount of bandwidth and in order to implement many of these services and applications possible PQ effecting solutions may be used, such as rate-shaping, etc.

HDTV is becoming less of a priority for cablecos as they move toward HSI, VOD, telephony and other things, it would be nice to have a cable TV company along the lines of a Voom, a company that's main priority was PQ performance.
post #21 of 953 Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

I sell a lot of CableCard ready HDTV's and have experienced a lot of trouble getting them to work properly. Most customer give up and get a box. I have been very persistent with the equipment manufacturers and cable providers and in some cases I have been successful in getting CableCard systems to work very well.

In some cases we replaced the TV's or got the TV manufacturer to write new firmware. Some times we got new CableCards. IN all cases it took my persistence in putting the equipment senior engineering and product managers together with the cable providers senior engineering folks.

The moral of the story is "Don't give up"

-Robert

I'd say the moral of the story should be don't even try!

As I've said in other threads, I don't see the point of cablecards in TVs (well, maybe a small TV for a bedroom). Cablecards in DVRs--yes. I hope that Cablecards will be better implemented in DVRs.
post #22 of 953 Old 07-17-2005, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Keenan

in order to do VOIP, Comcast has had to upgrade their system to make it more robust

for example, every pole mounted line amp's power supply had to be changed from a 60v transformer to a large UPS: ocasional TV or internet outages are to be expected, but telephone service is expected to be highly reliable

so I think we benefit because the whole system is stronger: that and more internet speed make me

I do miss VOOM though; but E* has eased the pain with their VOOM service and the 942

Link to sponsors
post #23 of 953 Old 07-17-2005, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Keenan

in order to do VOIP, Comcast has had to upgrade their system to make it more robust

Yeah, I'm just a little bitter because I'm still on a 550MHz system and Comcast has indicated they have no plans to upgrade it to 750-860. Their plan is to convert all 64 QAM to 256 QAM, which they are doing now, and then figure out what they are going to do with analog. I suspect that the analog will stay until there is no more analog signal to carry as digital simulcasting on 550MHz systems is tough if not impossible due to lack of bandwidth. We lost Showtime HD early in the year to add our local FOX-HD affiliate we're so tight on BW.

I'm sure all the goodies are great on the systems that have or will have them, but low BW systems like mine will likely never see that stuff for a very long time. We have a very low channel count and no VOD even. HSI was just started a few months ago with a 3mbps rate.
post #24 of 953 Old 07-26-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Well after 2 missed appts they finally showed up today. It wasn't my cable card but the signal was too low. He had to go climb a pole and fix it, but it worked.
post #25 of 953 Old 07-29-2005, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Two days later I lost every digital channel again. I'm having them install a new card but after that it's a call to Sony.
post #26 of 953 Old 07-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

It's now one month that my Comcast Chicago CableCARD (Sony DVR) is not working.

Phil
post #27 of 953 Old 07-29-2005, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Two days later I lost every digital channel again. I'm having them install a new card but after that it's a call to Sony.

similar situation here, but only on one model Sharp; an LC-45GX6U (the card is authorized, but receives no channels): 3 other Sharps work OK, but I did learn something new;

Comcast learned of a Sharp firmware update for this problem: it is applied via an SD cardupdate by a Sharp tech

Sharp has ordered the update and will come out to install it- no schedule yet

in the meantime, Comcast gave me the new 8300 DVR which has a working HDMI port (audio & video) : nice unit

Link to sponsors
post #28 of 953 Old 07-30-2005, 06:37 AM

Liked: 12
Does anyone know what the latest CableCARD firmware upgrade for the Panasonic PX50Us is supposed to fix? My CATV provider's CableCARD, SA PowerKEY / Albany Time Warner, delivers good performance; but I can't get around the "copy authorization" issue when the CCI byte is 0x02 which disables the TVs optical digital audio out interface. Of course the only support I'm getting is some finger-pointing between Time Warner --> Scientific Atlanta --> Panasonic.
post #29 of 953 Old 07-31-2005, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

The problem I have with that proprietary type of solution is that performance and PQ are often to level of "just good enough", that's what I like about CableCARD, it takes the often mediocre performance of the STB out of the equation. One example of this is in the area of resolvable resolution. John Mason did some tests with an Scientific Atlanta box and a Motorola box and neither box presented anything above 1350 lines of horizontal resolution to the display.

And FredB's measurements with his Calif. TWC head end, showed an 'excellent' 1600 lines effective maximum resolution with HDNet's test patterns and a CableCard. Wish Comcast would settle with HDNet so we'd get more measurements. No doubt head ends play a role in final rez; mine does use rate shaping to extend bandwidth availability by trimming higher frequencies/resolutions. [Edit: A more recent post points out FredB's ~1600 line measurement isn't possible since his LCD panel falls short of this resolution.]

Wouldn't buy a new display just to get ~1600 lines with a CableCard. But might pick up a STB, especially a 2-way CableCard model, that would let me use a CableCard--one that works--with my vintage year-2000 CRT RPTV.

Wouldn't want to open the can of worms about whether, after MPEG decoding, there's even any HD material, aside from test patterns, with 1600-line effective resolution remaining. Many references point out ~1700 lines is the limiting resolution of 1080i/p and that's apparently reduced by ~15% maximum after decoding, producing the familiar ~1445 lines max rez. -- John
post #30 of 953 Old 07-31-2005, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

No doubt head ends play a role in final rez; mine does use rate shaping to extend bandwidth availability by trimming higher frequencies/resolutions.

Up until a couple of months ago, the general consensus was that Comcast did not rate-shape. But I do believe it's coming. During the NBA playoffs the local Comcast headend at Sutro Tower(SF) that feeds the bay area fiber ring was playing around with a machine which I was told is called a "big ben", a rate-shaper evidently. Their experimentation was a disaster, 2 of the channels they were playing with ended up being very sketchy on PQ and suffered from numerous pixelated and frozen images. The engineer at the local ABC station, KGO, talked to the Comcast people and the next day everything was fine. I have no doubt though that eventually RS will be put into use permanently.

Quote:

But might pick up a STB, especially a 2-way CableCard model, that would let me use a CableCard--one that works--with my vintage year-2000 CRT RPTV.

I would love to see a competitive market for quality cable decoders(STBs-DVRs).

Quote:

Many references point out ~1700 lines is the limiting resolution of 1080i/p and that's apparently reduced by ~15% maximum after decoding, producing the familiar ~1445 lines max rez. -- John

Hopefully we will be lucky to retain at least that 1445 lines in the future. It's almost as if the cablecos realize that 95% plus of the displays in use are not capable of resolving that much data anyways, so why send data that will not be used and conserve the bandwidth. I think the difference between 1700 and 1445(1350) would be unnoticed by the large majority of viewers. OTOH, the difference between 1445(1350) and what DirecTV is sending, 1280 does seem to definitely be noticeable, although with DirecTV there are some BW issues thrown into the equation as well.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page