RCA/Proscan reliability & HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2000, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There has been a number of posts recently on this and other forums that have questioned the reliability of recently produced RCA/Proscan products, This is especially disheartening given that, on paper at least, the new 38" HDTV seems to be a good solution for many of us. I have been using Proscan sets in a number of applications for over six years now with no problems, but I must admit that the last set I bought was over four years ago. It would be interesting to hear from those who have made more recent purchases what their experience with Thomson products have been. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2000, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
berkesnd,

I have been following this and a few other forums for about the last 3 months. Since I was interested in the RCA 52" HD ready RPTV I paid special attention to reported problems with these (and other RCA/Proscan) sets. I could not detect a higher problem rate with RCA than with other brands. ALL brands have problems. There are always going to be some posts from ignorant people that say things like "All RCA products suck" or "I would never buy an RCA" or "Sony's the best. I won't own anything but". Look at all the people who have done without HDTV for the past year because they "didn't like" RCA. In my opinion NO brand is always the best. The knowledgeable buyer will do their research and select the best item for their wants/needs/price range. I have bought electronic equipment for the past 20+ years from almost every major manufacturer both high and low end and have never fell in love with a brand. I have a Yamaha receiver, B&W speakers, Sony DVD, Panasonic VCR, Canon DV camcorder, RCA HDTV receiver and TV, etc. Whenever it's time to buy a new item I never limit myself to "my favorite brand".

I recommend to anyone buying an expensive HDTV (RCA or others) to get a 30 day money back warranty and possibly an extended warranty. That way you can get the set home and evaluate it for yourself. I think there are more problems with missing/poorly implemented features and incompatibilities than with reliability (especially with HDTV). If you are interested in the RCA, do your homework, and if still looks like it meets your needs, go for it. Don't let brand bigots influence your decision. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2000, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Berkesnd, if you do buy do a full review on this forum. I am thinking of getting 38" or 61" RCA with built in receiver, but Sacramento Best Buy does not have the unit yet. Goodguys said they won't receive the units until September. I have two RCA DTC-100, 32" ProscanHD, and UM monitor. I know want the receiver built in the television and RCA is doing it now.

Hey, you have 30 day to check it out GO for it. Lets us know, because I am going on my Third TV with my next purchase.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2000, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
To Jerndl: Well said. I agree. If one were to look at first glance at some of the posts about the problems with Toshiba or Mitsubishi, one might be scared off, but we also know that there are a lot of satisfied users out there. Let's face it, there is an implied risk with any new technology and we're probably all crazy for investing the large sum of money it takes to enter the game at this point (especially given the miniscule amount of HDTV progamming). Just look at the early days of color. We look at that era and wonder how anyone was willing to put out the relatively large sum of money given the many problems with the early sets and the lack of color programming. It seems that our passion for having the newest and the best overrides our better judgement(like waiting a few years for the industry to stabilize, new HDTV technologies such as DLP to develop, and for prices to come down). Any new product will have its share of problems; however, the most important aspect to me is the level of service from the manufacturer and the dealer. If there is a trend towards indifference or bad support from the manufacturer this will definitly sway me in a different direction.
In the end, I am willing to take a chance on a new product, I would just like to get an idea of the level of support I can expect and if there is a trend, what direction that trend is taking.

[This message has been edited by berkesnd (edited August 14, 2000).]
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2000, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
taron1,

Do you know if Paradyme will have it? I tried Best Buy and Goodguy's yesterday hopping it was going to be there.

Quote:
Originally posted by taron1:
Berkesnd, if you do buy do a full review on this forum. I am thinking of getting 38" or 61" RCA with built in receiver, but Sacramento Best Buy does not have the unit yet. Goodguys said they won't receive the units until September. I have two RCA DTC-100, 32" ProscanHD, and UM monitor. I know want the receiver built in the television and RCA is doing it now.

Hey, you have 30 day to check it out GO for it. Lets us know, because I am going on my Third TV with my next purchase.

[This message has been edited by Chris J (edited August 14, 2000).]
post #6 of 7 Old 08-14-2000, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

berkesnd, There is a guy in NY that posted when he brought the 61" all in one Proscan which was about 8K. Thomson came out to his house and change the internal DTC-100, that's service. In fact there was nothing wrong with the internal DTC-100 it the scout feature which was link to the second software upgrade. Many people have got new receivers from Thomson even when it was the broadcasters fault and not the receivers. So I think your in good hands because Thomson is trying to keep customers this time around.

Chris, I don't think Paradym will carry RCA equipment.

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited August 14, 2000).]
post #7 of 7 Old 08-16-2000, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
RCA DTC 100 working fine. 1 Problem: I hate the HD on off button. What a pain if you want to run a 2nd room or Tivo, replay etc...

------------------
Silence is overrated!

Silence is overrated!
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page