Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 752 Old 10-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the accutrain (sp?) HD receiver from my local radio shack. It works great. FOx Sports in HD is sweet.

The remote does indeed suck, but I reprogrammed my sony TV remote and it works much much better.

I think that its a great deal for $96 or so with tax. otherwise I wouldn't be getting 2 HD channels....or I should say digital channels that sometimes broadcast HD content.
post #303 of 752 Old 10-07-2005, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

post #304 of 752 Old 10-07-2005, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Out of curiosity has anyone compared the Accurian's reception to the Sammy SIR-T451?
post #305 of 752 Old 10-07-2005, 11:50 AM

Diode,

TNX for taking the time to get the RS update list out. Came up empty at my local store but
thank you for your effort.

Stores still have the 6' DVI-HDMI gold cables but they are not dropping them from $49.99 yet. Maybe in a couple weeks.

CustM
post #306 of 752 Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustM View Post

Diode,

TNX for taking the time to get the RS update list out. Came up empty at my local store but
thank you for your effort.

Stores still have the 6' DVI-HDMI gold cables but they are not dropping them from $49.99 yet. Maybe in a couple weeks.

CustM

Here is a more complete list.
Scans of 11 pages.
I have the list, but this link saved me the work
post #307 of 752 Old 10-08-2005, 03:19 PM

One problem I'm having with these units is that I've been losing channels. At first, when I hooked one up to a TV and could not get a specific channel that came in just fine on other TVs, I couldn't figure out what was going wrong. I was even using the same roof antenna. I didn't think that channel would lose so much from the extra cable, and eventually found that if I swapped STBs, the problem went away. So I thought it was defective since two other Accurians did not have the same problem.

Then I found that if I told it to do another scan, and add any new channels it found, then the problem channel got listed twice. The original one still did not work, but the new one did. A complete rescan that cleared everything out first fixed it completely.

The symptoms were that there was no picture, and the meter hovered around 49%. One other channel was intermittent, sometimes acting like that, and other times coming in clear at about 88% strength.

Does anybody know what can cause something like this? I don't have experience with other STBs, but I never had that problem with my computer's HD card, so it was new to me. Since another Accurian eventually did the same thing to me with a different channel, it does not seem to be a hardware issue.
post #308 of 752 Old 10-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagrinas View Post

One problem I'm having with these units is that I've been losing channels. At first, when I hooked one up to a TV and could not get a specific channel that came in just fine on other TVs, I couldn't figure out what was going wrong. I was even using the same roof antenna. I didn't think that channel would lose so much from the extra cable, and eventually found that if I swapped STBs, the problem went away. So I thought it was defective since two other Accurians did not have the same problem.

Then I found that if I told it to do another scan, and add any new channels it found, then the problem channel got listed twice. The original one still did not work, but the new one did. A complete rescan that cleared everything out first fixed it completely.

The symptoms were that there was no picture, and the meter hovered around 49%. One other channel was intermittent, sometimes acting like that, and other times coming in clear at about 88% strength.

Does anybody know what can cause something like this? I don't have experience with other STBs, but I never had that problem with my computer's HD card, so it was new to me. Since another Accurian eventually did the same thing to me with a different channel, it does not seem to be a hardware issue.

One possibility is that the box recieved a PSIP that confused it. I had a station near me that was broadcasting bad PSIP and the Accurian wouldn't re-map it correctly so it would only get it from the true digital channel and not the re-mapped one. When the station fixed the PSIP I had to to a full re-scan to clear it up.

- John
post #309 of 752 Old 10-08-2005, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood222 View Post

I picked up the accutrain (sp?) HD receiver from my local radio shack. It works great. FOx Sports in HD is sweet.

The remote does indeed suck, but I reprogrammed my sony TV remote and it works much much better.

I think that its a great deal for $96 or so with tax. otherwise I wouldn't be getting 2 HD channels....or I should say digital channels that sometimes broadcast HD content.

The only store around here that has it has is shipping it off to another store, for someone else. Just missed it by 2 days they said. Is the unit discontinued? It seems better than that one they sell at Circuit City for around $225. Nicer looking too.

NOTE: Anyone have a local store with some left? If so, I can probably call the store and have it shipped to a store near me.
post #310 of 752 Old 10-09-2005, 01:44 PM

This is my first post, but I purchased the accurian this past week (last Tuesday) to use on my Toshiba 52HM84 DLP tv. I too had the same problem with WSVN, but it now works for me!!! I live in Davie/Weston area (I-75 and Griffin Rd) and I am using the amplified terk antenna (the most common one). It did not work on friday when I last tested but I changed the channel today to test and it works. I am getting a 76-80% signal now. It has been on since about 4pm when the philly game started and has been stable ever since. I'm actually afraid to change it, for fear that I'll lose the signal.

I do have a question, I apparently bought a floor model of the accurian (last one left at the Radio Shack I went to) and it did not have a remote. It has Closed Captioning on. Does anyone know how to turn it off on the unit itself? I know the accurian remote has it, but my universal remote (which is from radio shack) does not appear to have a CC button on it. Has anyone found a verified universal remote that allows me to turn the CC off the accurian? Thanks in advanced.
post #311 of 752 Old 10-09-2005, 04:30 PM

Have you tried Pioneer Cable Box codes? It works on my cheapy RCA remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBott View Post

This is my first post, but I purchased the accurian this past week (last Tuesday) to use on my Toshiba 52HM84 DLP tv. I too had the same problem with WSVN, but it now works for me!!! I live in Davie/Weston area (I-75 and Griffin Rd) and I am using the amplified terk antenna (the most common one). It did not work on friday when I last tested but I changed the channel today to test and it works. I am getting a 76-80% signal now. It has been on since about 4pm when the philly game started and has been stable ever since. I'm actually afraid to change it, for fear that I'll lose the signal.

I do have a question, I apparently bought a floor model of the accurian (last one left at the Radio Shack I went to) and it did not have a remote. It has Closed Captioning on. Does anyone know how to turn it off on the unit itself? I know the accurian remote has it, but my universal remote (which is from radio shack) does not appear to have a CC button on it. Has anyone found a verified universal remote that allows me to turn the CC off the accurian? Thanks in advanced.

post #312 of 752 Old 10-09-2005, 04:41 PM

I got one of these about a month ago. It's first DTV OTA receiver and for the price, I've been very pleased with its performance, except for the aforementioned remote.

Bought an All-For-One Universal remote, tried the Pioneer Cable box codes and couldn't get them to work with the OTA receiver.
post #313 of 752 Old 10-09-2005, 06:28 PM

I had a Magnavox universal remote control sitting around in the bedroom, so I found a code that worked for the accurian. It changes channels, but for some reason the CC button on it does not work. Also, I dont have a key on it that works for the arrow button (which is used to jump to the save option when deleted a channel). Anyone know of an exact model that works with all of these features?
post #314 of 752 Old 10-09-2005, 07:15 PM

Thanks for your posts on this rcvr. Just scooped up one and I am pleased. Previous units from LG and Samsung had a hard time locking in on signals . This unit picked them up and costs almost three times less.
post #315 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Pictures posted by Diode1 on 9/7/05 clearly show the Thomson DTF8600
Tuner Module inside the R-S HTS-6000 Accurian OTA STB:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ed#post6155877

Thomson site lists the DTF8600, with spec sheet listed as the DTT8600:
http://www.thomson.net/EN/Home/MiniS...&model=DTF86XX
Note that it has option for CEA/EIA-909 Smart Antenna Control (not in LG 4th/5th Gen chips).

The big RECTANGULAR chip (with hundreds of leads!!!) furthest away from the input is the ATSC Decoder Chip.
Since the 4th and 5th Gen LG, ATI (Theater), STMicroelectronics and Broadcom chips are all SQUARE, it appears to be something new, unique and different....
post #316 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldheadjim View Post

Thanks for your posts on this rcvr. Just scooped up one and I am pleased.

Where are they still being found after all this time? I know they're on ebay, but no way I'd buy from there.
post #317 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 10:26 AM

You should be able to access the closed captioning commands from the menu you can get to on the box itself
post #318 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcopolo View Post

The only store around here that has it has is shipping it off to another store, for someone else. Just missed it by 2 days they said. Is the unit discontinued? It seems better than that one they sell at Circuit City for around $225. Nicer looking too.

NOTE: Anyone have a local store with some left? If so, I can probably call the store and have it shipped to a store near me.

Narcopolo,

Eventhough on the webpage it doesn't say discontinued, they are being discontinued. My friend's brother is a RS manager and he said that they are discontinuing them. Unfortunately according to him, there is none left in my area although the website says otherwise. He also said that once a item becomes discontinued, he gets the item for free because it is in not on the inventory anymore.
post #319 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 02:01 PM

Log on to Radio Shack
Search for item 16-3499

When it says online - not in stock, check in-store availability,

Plug in one at a time various zip codes until you find a store that has them. Call that store and confirm that they are willing to send it to your local store.

Call your local store and ask them to order it from that particular store #

It has workd for me and friends 4 times including from other states.

DO NOT MISS THE OPTICAL CABLE AVAILABLE IN CLEARENCE FOR ONLY $2.50..ITEM # 15-1591

Other brand remote works on Accurian with Pioneer codes.

If using original remote, and find it unresponsive, face the remote toward the floor at 15degree angle and it will work.

Mine works with a old rabbit ear antenna that I had from a 9" tv

At $89.... it is worth every penny after watching just one HD sporting event or any prime time episode.

$1350 - SONY - KP-51WS520
$ 200 - SONY - HT-DDW760
$ 125 - SONY - DVPNC875V
$ 90 - Accuurian HD STB
post #320 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry if I missed this if it was posted above but this thread is pretty long now.
Does this unit only pick up digital signals.
I noticed there is an analog hook up on the back but all my scans just turn up the digital signals. I assume the analog out is just to put digital transmissions on an analog set.
One of my local affiliates was hit hard by Hurricane Rita and is only broadcasting analog for awhile. If anyone knows if this unit is capable of getting analog signals please let me know how.
So far it has been great and even pulls in a station or two 80 miles away.
post #321 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 07:31 PM

I check that thead last nigth and get my unit today,the last one in the RS near me,connect to my sharp and setup was easy,i'm impress with the picture this is my first time with HDTV and I'm very happy.Thanks for pass this info .I use component cable but I have HDMI imput in my sharp,using that cable can improve the picture quality?
thanks in advance!
post #322 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
All the networks coming into West Palm great (gen. 70+ on the meter)...picked up a $10 amplified/a.c. powered antenna at BigLots (says Digital HDTV ready on the box) and am watching the yanks/angels game on FLX (Fox/29) with no dropouts.

After tweaking my Toshi 46h84, the picture on all the networks as good as on Adelphia...plus I get PBS and Fox/Tube not avail. on cable.

When my free Adelphia premium deal ($120/mo/3months for all the HD and all the premium channels and broadband cable...AND less one free month for taking 4 trips to the house to get it all on right) dies next month I can now drop HD until they come up with another offer I can't refuse.
post #323 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 09:21 PM

Stumbled on this thread via Google hoping someone can help ...

After searching a few RS stores in the area, I found an HTS 6000 and have it connected to my Sony KFE-42A10 via HDMI cable. Using a coax source from Comcast digital, I seem to get a consistent 48-49 on the signal strength, but the auto scan won't recognize anything. Similarly, whenever I manually punch up a channel, I get nothing except the occasional flash of a "Signal Strength" alert. Any ideas?

I've tried every combination of resolution and Cable type (STD/HRC/IRC - what's the difference, anyway?) with no luck. The Accuran recognizes my cable as 8VSB ... the manual makes a cryptic mention of 8VSB but I can't tell if that's good or bad or what. The RS clerk and my own Web research seemed to indicate the Accurian would work with Comcast, but I haven't seen it yet.

In case it matters, I'm in the Lakeview neighborhood on the north side of Chicago.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
post #324 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think you'll find throughout this thread it is mentioned that this is OTA only...will not work with cable...
post #325 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

Does this unit only pick up digital signals.

Yes, it doesn't receive analog (NTSC) signals.

Quote:

I noticed there is an analog hook up on the back but all my scans just turn up the digital signals. I assume the analog out is just to put digital transmissions on an analog set.

Correct. In fact, that's how I've been using my Accurian for the past couple of months, feeding my 17-year-old 27" TV. Even though the "analog out" is just a 480i composite signal, it produces a better picture than that TV's NTSC tuner delivers, on most of my stations. I do have to fiddle with the brighness and contrast on the TV, because my Accurian has a rather high black level on that output. I'm way out in the boonies, and my network stations are 50-80 miles away, so I have to use a roof antenna and a rotator.

Just today I finally bought a 32" LCD HDTV and was able to take advantage of the component output for the first time, watching the Yankees/Angels playoff game and Monday Night Football in HD. Woo-hoo! No problem with the black level on the component output, as far as I can tell. The LCD itself does have the usual LCD black-level issues, though.

I couldn't get an HDMI connection to work though, and I can't tell yet whether the problem is with the Accurian, the HDMI cable, or the TV. I'll exchange the cable for another one tomorrow and see if that helps.
post #326 of 752 Old 10-10-2005, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The R-S Accurian HTS-6000 OTA STB only supports ATSC (8-VSB) On-Air DTV.
It does NOT support reception of analog NTSC or digital QAM signals.

The manual clearly states that it will operate on cable ONLY if the cable system
provides 8-VSB modulation....which to best of my knowledge NEVER HAPPENED,
since QAM-64 and QAM-256 were adopted instead.
post #327 of 752 Old 10-11-2005, 04:12 AM

Thanks, all, for the quick response. . 'Thought I had all the acronyms in this thread down pat, but I missed the OTA/QAM discrepancy.

If anyone in the Chicago area is desperately seeking an Accurian HTS 6000, one will soon be (back) in stock at the 2923 N. Ashland Radio Shack.

Thanks again.
post #328 of 752 Old 10-11-2005, 05:10 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

The manual clearly states that it will operate on cable ONLY if the cable system
provides 8-VSB modulation....which to best of my knowledge NEVER HAPPENED,
since QAM-64 and QAM-256 were adopted instead.

Not true. Cablevision in central NJ used to use 8VSB in the early 2000's.

Ed
post #329 of 752 Old 10-11-2005, 05:29 AM

any body use the HDMI port from that box?
post #330 of 752 Old 10-11-2005, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKY0311 View Post

any body use the HDMI port from that box?

yes
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page