Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 752 Old 12-10-2005, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS5 View Post

Once the data is loaded, if you scroll off what is offered, the guide needs to load further information. Isn't there a way to load a larger block of information? Is this the way all of these systems work, or do I have a problem? It appears that the system is capable of retaining greater amounts of information once it is loaded.

It is a problem for me, too. I use it very sparingly, hardly at all. It would be nice if there were a fixit for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 752 Old 12-21-2005, 06:16 AM

Liked: 10
Anyone using the Accurian receiver and having problems with channel remapping? I picked up one of these a few days ago and it seems to work fine, except for the channel remapping on WNBC-DT in NYC. When you do a channel scan, it does not seem to find 4.1, 4.2, etc. If you punch in CH 28 on the remote it will receive 4.1, but the readout will show 28.1 and I dont get the other subchannels. All the other NYC DTV stations are remapping properly, so I dont know if it is something with WNBC's PSIP data, or a bug in the Accurian firmware.

Does anyone else notice this with the Accurian, or is it only my box?
post #543 of 752 Old 12-21-2005, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

It is a problem for me, too. I use it very sparingly, hardly at all. It would be nice if there were a fixit for it.

This slow guide problem you speak of is part of the HDTV system. Both boxes I have used had the same problem - took forever to load the channel guide for just a few channels. www.titantv.com is a lot more useful.

Philip Hamm
post #544 of 752 Old 12-21-2005, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy750 View Post

looking for one of these (STS 6000) in the DV/MD/VA area. anyone?

A few weeks ago when I got mine, the Radio Shack web site listed one in the McLean Radio Shack. That was my backup in case the one in Leesburg didn't come through.

Philip Hamm
post #545 of 752 Old 12-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondesign View Post

Anyone using the Accurian receiver and having problems with channel remapping? I picked up one of these a few days ago and it seems to work fine, except for the channel remapping on WNBC-DT in NYC. When you do a channel scan, it does not seem to find 4.1, 4.2, etc. If you punch in CH 28 on the remote it will receive 4.1, but the readout will show 28.1 and I dont get the other subchannels. All the other NYC DTV stations are remapping properly, so I dont know if it is something with WNBC's PSIP data, or a bug in the Accurian firmware.

Does anyone else notice this with the Accurian, or is it only my box?

I had two different Accurian units where the same thing happend on the local Fox station . Usually I wait a day or two, rescan and it goes back to normal.
post #546 of 752 Old 12-21-2005, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Disregard the horizontal resolution when you select the resolution from the STB output to your TV and you are using component video connections. Your TV instructions will state whether 480p, 720p, or 1080i or any two or all three are accepted.

Horizontal resolution refers to the maximum number of (alternating dark and light) dots in a row that can be shown and distinguished. Vertical resolution refers to the maximum number of dots in a column that can be shown and distinguished. Vertical resolution is up to the number of scan lines or rows of pixels or the number as in 1080i or 720p etc. but less than ideal electronics or optics or dot pitch can make it less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussTC3 View Post

So I don't even have an HDTV? What the heck is the point of saying it accepts 1080i signals (1920x1080) when in reality it only does 800x600?This kinda blows. I knew I should have waited.

But it does accept 1080i signals. Your 27 inch CRT is an HDTV because it is displaying 1080 unique scan lines and, given an appropriate test pattern, you can see that it can display a single dot at any one of the 1920 possible positions along a scan line that 1080i provides. However the electron beam may be no less than 1/600'th the screen height or 1/800'th the screen width in fatness and finer picture details close together may thus be blurred together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussTC3 View Post

However, I'm seriously beginning to wonder if my unit is defective. The picture quality is great, but I think what I'm looking at is a 480p picture. So on to what the point of my post is.

I've been watching Football tonight on my local FOX (720p), and now Baseball. I have the switch at 1080i and just for the heck of it, I moved the switch to 480p (after turning off the unit). Am I suppose to notice a difference between these two settings (1080i and 720p)? Because if there is a difference it's extremely minimal and barely noticeable.

So I'm thinking that my component is actually outputting at 480p.

Is there ANY way to find out if what I'm seeing is a 720p signal upconverted to 1080i, instead of a 720p signal downcoverted to 480p, which I'm pretty sure is the case?.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but some 720p to 1080i conversions and a lot of 1080i to 720p conversions normally leave you with just 540 lines of resolution. I don't know about this STB. Someone would have to suggest a particular scene in a particular show that has source detail that will reveal this. Do any stations broadcast a test pattern before or after their broadcast day?

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidres.htm

Remember when lines and logos burned the TV screen? I was at a concert where a musical selection made extremely heavy use of about four of the keys of the piano.
post #547 of 752 Old 12-25-2005, 07:24 PM

Just set up the in-laws 30" Olevia with the Radioshack HTS6000 ATSC tuner and a Terk AM/FM Tower AF9330. About $20. This is not usually recognized as an HDTV antenna but it worked great with CBS HD & PBS HD & UPN DT. Decided to try it out on Xmas day and the sucker worked great thru the 75 ohm connector. Totally unobtrusive format not like the Silver Sensor. The towers are about 10 miles from the home with no major obstructions in the path - Salisbury MD.
post #548 of 752 Old 01-04-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm View Post

A few weeks ago when I got mine, the Radio Shack web site listed one in the McLean Radio Shack. That was my backup in case the one in Leesburg didn't come through.

I wound up going with a (defunct) VOOM STB (Motorola unit) as my ATSC tuner. there's still some activated units on ebay. very happy with it.

Bimmerboy750

The Theorem theorem: If if, Then then
post #549 of 752 Old 01-04-2006, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy750 View Post

I wound up going with a (defunct) VOOM STB (Motorola unit) as my ATSC tuner. there's still some activated units on ebay. very happy with it.

I just threw 3 of them out right before Xmas, all of them were still activated. But they are so kludgy for use as a HD tuner, that I seen no point in keeping them. And I'm not that cheap, that I would put up with using them in that way.
post #550 of 752 Old 01-04-2006, 07:12 PM

Blech...another desperate attempt to obtain flight from lead-filled wings...

Get something you'll be proud of...just a suggestion

Installpro
post #551 of 752 Old 01-05-2006, 06:26 AM

Over the Holidays, I was able to obtain the Accurian STB
from a remote RS store. The unit was returned byt somebody
and even though the store had claimed to have all the
accessories, component cable was missing from the box.

I would like to offer following tip about the remote control. I too had lot of problems with the remote control unit. But I used semi-transparent Scotch tape
over the LED and now it works pefectly! I would also like to confirm that Zenith brand universal remote can be programmed via selecting Pioneer Cable code (the very first one in the list) to contol the Accurian. Interestingly, Zenith remote does NOT interfer with the Apex DVD/VCR unit whereas native Accrian Remote key #5 acts also as a Power button for the Apex :-)

Given that these units are so hard to come by, I still
purchased the STB. I also purchased Radio Shack antenna
15-2160, UHF 40" 3-boom unit and installed it in Attic. I live
in Boston DMA, Westford MA to be precise. As per
antennaweb, it is about 22miles to the antenna farm. Initially,
I was able to get all i.e. 2,4,5,7,25,38,56,66,68 channels.
However, once I mounted the antenna to rafter I lost channel 4.
When I moved the direction to get 4, I lost 25. I then moved
the antenna back to the old location but the reception did
not improve. Currently, I have got both 4 and 25 but can not
get 56. I wonder if I can put inline amplifier or pre-amp
to improve the signal strength. Can somebody recommend a
cheap amplifier?

I would also like to connect this STB to Infocus 4805 and
would like to pick up requisite adapter and cable from
monoprice.com. Can someone who has done this give me the
exact part numbers to be ordered?

Thanks,
- Vikas

P.S. Just bumping this. Yesterday, I got both Ch56 and Ch25 for a while but later Ch56 went out.
post #552 of 752 Old 01-06-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgs86 View Post

Over the Holidays, I was able to obtain the Accurian STB
from a remote RS store. The unit was returned byt somebody
and even though the store had claimed to have all the
accessories, component cable was missing from the box.

I would like to offer following tip about the remote control. I too had lot of problems with the remote control unit. But I used semi-transparent Scotch tape
over the LED and now it works pefectly! I would also like to confirm that Zenith brand universal remote can be programmed via selecting Pioneer Cable code (the very first one in the list) to contol the Accurian. Interestingly, Zenith remote does NOT interfer with the Apex DVD/VCR unit whereas native Accrian Remote key #5 acts also as a Power button for the Apex :-)

Given that these units are so hard to come by, I still
purchased the STB. I also purchased Radio Shack antenna
15-2160, UHF 40" 3-boom unit and installed it in Attic. I live
in Boston DMA, Westford MA to be precise. As per
antennaweb, it is about 22miles to the antenna farm. Initially,
I was able to get all i.e. 2,4,5,7,25,38,56,66,68 channels.
However, once I mounted the antenna to rafter I lost channel 4.
When I moved the direction to get 4, I lost 25. I then moved
the antenna back to the old location but the reception did
not improve. Currently, I have got both 4 and 25 but can not
get 56. I wonder if I can put inline amplifier or pre-amp
to improve the signal strength. Can somebody recommend a
cheap amplifier?

I would also like to connect this STB to Infocus 4805 and
would like to pick up requisite adapter and cable from
monoprice.com. Can someone who has done this give me the
exact part numbers to be ordered?

Thanks,
- Vikas

P.S. Just bumping this. Yesterday, I got both Ch56 and Ch25 for a while but later Ch56 went out.

Are all the towers in the same area, or are they spread out? A rotator might be an option for you also.
post #553 of 752 Old 01-07-2006, 11:36 AM

All of the towers are at the same degree. But they do have different output power.

- Vikas
post #554 of 752 Old 01-07-2006, 09:57 PM

i checked the radio shack website today
and it wont come up anymore?
how will i locate one now :-(
post #555 of 752 Old 01-08-2006, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownvirus View Post

i checked the radio shack website today
and it wont come up anymore?
how will i locate one now :-(

Maybe Ebay?
post #556 of 752 Old 01-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol View Post

Maybe Ebay?

there going for about $40- 50 more
and most arent even new
post #557 of 752 Old 01-08-2006, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownvirus View Post

there going for about $40- 50 more
and most arent even new

Well, that's kind of the way ebay works. Items on ebay are often work out to be more to the sellers advantage, and not the buyers. And since it looks like you finally can't get them anymore from Radio Shack, that is the price you will maybe need to pay if you really want one. They have been discontinued by Radio Shack for going on 4+ months now. So it's surprising that the supply of them that they did still have, actually lasted as long as they did.
post #558 of 752 Old 01-09-2006, 08:39 AM

I would like to repeat my question regarding the HDMI output from this STB. Are there any known issues in terms of hooking this up to InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 projector? Also if anybody had purchased the correct cables/adapters from monoprice.com for this setup, I would appreciate your input. Do you believe is it worth to go from Component to HDMI? Correctly, I am using my Pioneer 1014 receiver to do the switching and I will lose that and will have to use projector remote to do it switching aside from using Pioneer to switch the audio.

- Vikas
post #559 of 752 Old 01-09-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I would like to repeat my question regarding the HDMI output from this STB. Are there any known issues in terms of hooking this up to InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 projector? Also if anybody had purchased the correct cables/adapters from monoprice.com for this setup, I would appreciate your input. Do you believe is it worth to go from Component to HDMI? Correctly, I am using my Pioneer 1014 receiver to do the switching and I will lose that and will have to use projector remote to do it switching aside from using Pioneer to switch the audio.

- Vikas

I am using my Radio Shack Tuner through my 4805. I bought my adapter from Monoprice and it works fine. I do see a difference between component and HDMI but not that much of a difference. I use the component switching on my Denon AVR receiver for some devices and have a Harmony remote that is programmed to automatically switch between component and HDMI on the 4805. Works well.
post #560 of 752 Old 01-09-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98 View Post

I am using my Radio Shack Tuner through my 4805. I bought my adapter from Monoprice and it works fine. I do see a difference between component and HDMI but not that much of a difference. I use the component switching on my Denon AVR receiver for some devices and have a Harmony remote that is programmed to automatically switch between component and HDMI on the 4805. Works well.

Thanks! What switch position do you use on the Radio Shack Tuner (720 vs 1080)? Are there any issues during channel surfing? Also can you tell me if you are using single HDMI-M1 cable or HDMI-HDMI cable + HDMI-M1 adapter? Unfortunately, monoprice is out of either solution until the end of this month.

I do not want to buy DVI cable as I am afraid I might have problem snaking that through my ceiling. HDMI connectors look little less wider and I might be able to push that cable without much trouble.

For other people who are still looking for OTA HD Tuner, activated Voom tuners on Ebay are going even cheaper than the this one used to be. If I had missed the Radio Shack tuner, I would have seriously considered the Voom from Ebay. You still will need good antenna though.

- Vikas
post #561 of 752 Old 01-09-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks! What switch position do you use on the Radio Shack Tuner (720 vs 1080)? Are there any issues during channel surfing? Also can you tell me if you are using single HDMI-M1 cable or HDMI-HDMI cable + HDMI-M1 adapter? Unfortunately, monoprice is out of either solution until the end of this month.

I do not want to buy DVI cable as I am afraid I might have problem snaking that through my ceiling. HDMI connectors look little less wider and I might be able to push that cable without much trouble.

For other people who are still looking for OTA HD Tuner, activated Voom tuners on Ebay are going even cheaper than the this one used to be. If I had missed the Radio Shack tuner, I would have seriously considered the Voom from Ebay. You still will need good antenna though.

- Vikas

I imagine 480p or 1080i would better match to the 4805's native resolution, but you really have to switch among three to find out which one is best for you. when it comes to HDMI vs DVI size, you will find out it is irrelavent because the diameter of the ferrite cores at the two ends is much larger than either one(on Monoprice cables at least). so what is stopping you from snaking thru the ceiling is going to be the thick ferrite core if at all.
post #562 of 752 Old 01-09-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

- Vikas

I have mine switched for 1080. No issues at all channel surfing. Actually, I am using a HDMI-DVI adapter and a DVI-M1 cable to the projector. I also use the cable for my HTPC output and am just waiting for the AVR manufacturers to catch up and realize that today you can run more than 2 sources digital (I have 4). And I don't want to pay for a Gefen switch!
post #563 of 752 Old 01-09-2006, 03:45 PM

Question for everyone who has the Accurian. I am interested in linking mine to my DVD Recorder. Is there a way to set a timer on the Accurian that will allow me to record off air signals? Otherwise, what is the best way to record, especially if I want to record multiple shows on different channels.
post #564 of 752 Old 01-09-2006, 05:48 PM

i just purchased a voom box
ill check it out when it gets here
but what do people think of the menus and tuner sensitivity
im about 9 miles from transmission
post #565 of 752 Old 01-09-2006, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR12 View Post

Question for everyone who has the Accurian. I am interested in linking mine to my DVD Recorder. Is there a way to set a timer on the Accurian that will allow me to record off air signals? Otherwise, what is the best way to record, especially if I want to record multiple shows on different channels.

You can set a power on time and a power off time for once or daily but thats it. No way to change channels. You may want to ask in the DVD recorder thread. I see people over there talking about controlling their cable boxes with an IR blaster. I know very little about it but it sounds like the recorder sends an IR signal to the tuner that powers it on and changes it to the correct channel. I don't have that feature on my recorder.
post #566 of 752 Old 01-09-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

You can set a power on time and a power off time for once or daily but thats it. No way to change channels. You may want to ask in the DVD recorder thread. I see people over there talking about controlling their cable boxes with an IR blaster. I know very little about it but it sounds like the recorder sends an IR signal to the tuner that powers it on and changes it to the correct channel. I don't have that feature on my recorder.

Thanks for the info. I might be up a creek as my recorder has no IR blaster. Plus with the trouble those here have had getting universal remotes to work with the Accurian, it might be a nightmare for me even if my recorder had IR technology. Oh well.
post #567 of 752 Old 01-09-2006, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
The Panny E85 recorder's IR blaster will change the channels on the Accurian using a pioneer cable box code. As far as setting the receiver for on and off times, I have only been able to get it to work when it's set to work one way or the other, meaning "on" or "off". Usually I have it set to go "on" first, and it will do that, but for some reason, it will ignore the second "off" setting. But I can always just leave it on and have the recorder change the channels, if so desired.
post #568 of 752 Old 01-10-2006, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR12 View Post

Since the Accurian responds to Pioneeer IR codes, you should be able to use a Universal Remote Control
(usually with Learning) that also has an EVENT TIMER capability.
Most R/C's don't do this, although most of the Sony R/C's do, incl the older (and hence inexpensive) RM-VL1000.

Careful: A SLEEP TIMER only shuts equipment OFF.
post #569 of 752 Old 01-10-2006, 02:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I have an RM-VL900 Sony remote - do you know if it has this capability offhand? Exactly how does it work?
post #570 of 752 Old 01-10-2006, 03:30 PM

Just my luck, late to the party again.

I've called more than 10 bigger stores around a 100 mile radius in S.Cal to no fruition. NE1 know of a store with stock in the So.Calif area?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page